Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,662 members, 7,809,503 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:39 AM

ASUU Strike: Ngige Begs University Lecturers To Have Mercy On Students - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / ASUU Strike: Ngige Begs University Lecturers To Have Mercy On Students (14967 Views)

Three Abia State University Lecturers Die On The Same Day / ASUU Strike: Ngige Expresses Optimism As Another Meeting With Lecturers Begins / Buhari: Only University Lecturers On IPPIS Would Get Salaries (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

ASUU Strike: Ngige Begs University Lecturers To Have Mercy On Students by nairafame(m): 7:01am On Jan 07, 2019
Labour & Employment Minister Chris Ngige has pleaded with striking varsity teachers to show mercy on students by calling off their strike.

The teachers, under auspices of the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU), began a nationwide strike since November, last year, over some disagreement between the union and the Federal Government.

Ngige also declared that Federal Government would pay a minimum wage, adding that things were being worked out by the Committee saddled with that responsibility.

Ngige spoke yesterday in Awka, Anambra State capital, in a chat with reporters at the premises of a local radio station, belonging to the state.

The Federal Government and Labour representatives adjourned their meeting till today after a five-hour deliberation last Friday. At the end of the meeting, the minister said substantial progress was made and that all that is left is a final resolution. Ngige said the problems of ASUU were not caused by President Muhammadu Buhari, but were bequeathed to the present administration by the previous governments based on agreements reached in 2009.

He said: “FG will comfortably pay minimum wage, we want to pay it, but there must be balancing because figures were bandied and we are asking Labour to exercise patience.

“I appeal to ASUU and Labour to have mercy on students and be patient. As far as I’m concerned, we have treated Labour well. And they should also know I’m a comrade and that is why I always intervened on matters that concern them.”

Ngige, who narrated how he became Anambra governor in 2003, said some of the things being faced in governance today were same problems that he confronted, yet, he paid salaries and piled pensions without borrowing.

The minister said he was made governor under compulsion, and such made him to stand his ground when the hurricane invaded Anambra State then, adding that the rest was now history.

Ngige said: “What Buhari is doing now is what I did in office as governor in Anambra, which was mainly my offence that brought the problems. So, Buhari is not the architect of salary issue in Nigeria.”
Source: https://www.nairafame.com/2019/01/ASUU-strike-ngige-begs-varsity-teacher.html?m=1

1 Like 1 Share

Re: ASUU Strike: Ngige Begs University Lecturers To Have Mercy On Students by Forreellinc: 7:07am On Jan 07, 2019
My frnd if u know say you no go chook hand for pocket to pay these ppl then just shut up

41 Likes 5 Shares

Re: ASUU Strike: Ngige Begs University Lecturers To Have Mercy On Students by MrSix: 7:14am On Jan 07, 2019
Naija matter just tire me. I Don finish school even the NYSC Self ASUU no want make we go. And my yeye school na snail for everything.

Check my signature
I sell Grade1 USA used Laptops
Re: ASUU Strike: Ngige Begs University Lecturers To Have Mercy On Students by Nukilia: 7:49am On Jan 07, 2019
Politicians keep dribbling the Universities in Nigeria... Hope things would get better soon

4 Likes

Re: ASUU Strike: Ngige Begs University Lecturers To Have Mercy On Students by Nobody: 8:25am On Jan 07, 2019
Keep dribbling the lecturers or do you think they are like NLC?

6 Likes

Re: ASUU Strike: Ngige Begs University Lecturers To Have Mercy On Students by PhenomenalMorgan(m): 8:39am On Jan 07, 2019
Ngige is talking ridiculously
Since This Govt doesnt pay attention to Unions demands except they strike, so should ASUU in their "Pity" for students refuse to pressure the Govt. To improve Tetiary Education
It is FG and not ASUU we should be begging to have Pity on Nigerian Students, who even after they graduate finds it difficult to make headway in the Labour Market!!

20 Likes

Re: ASUU Strike: Ngige Begs University Lecturers To Have Mercy On Students by crownwealth: 8:39am On Jan 07, 2019
Useless administration of liars!

6 Likes

Re: ASUU Strike: Ngige Begs University Lecturers To Have Mercy On Students by chinavs9ja(m): 8:40am On Jan 07, 2019
ASUU and FG should have mercy...not only ASUU!

I am a web designer and a developer. Check my signature if you need my service

3 Likes

Re: ASUU Strike: Ngige Begs University Lecturers To Have Mercy On Students by MANNABBQGRILLS: 8:40am On Jan 07, 2019
LECTURERS make una hear ooooo.

Let our children go back to school ASAP PLEASE.

1 Like 4 Shares

Re: ASUU Strike: Ngige Begs University Lecturers To Have Mercy On Students by Olamsoh: 8:40am On Jan 07, 2019
Asia and Africa were colonised by Europeans, but today Europe can dictate to Africa, but it cannot dictate to Asia.

Why? Asian have largely put their house in order, but Africa has had to endure decades of purposeless leadership.

********************************************************************************************************************
Met some Lagos BUHARIST in Ibadan today...Seriously they need Medical attention.

They said they know Buhari has failed and he's not intelligent but we should manage him till 2023 for d slot to come to South West so that Asiwaju can become our President.

Lagosians are in bondage

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: ASUU Strike: Ngige Begs University Lecturers To Have Mercy On Students by alsudan: 8:41am On Jan 07, 2019
No be only have mercy. When labour join, na double mercy Una go the beg for. Useless APC government.

4 Likes

Re: ASUU Strike: Ngige Begs University Lecturers To Have Mercy On Students by MANNABBQGRILLS: 8:41am On Jan 07, 2019
Olamsoh:
Met some Lagos BUHARIST in Ibadan today...Seriously they need Medical attention.

They said they know Buhari has failed and he's not intelligent but we should manage him till 2023 for d slot to come to South West so that Asiwaju can become our President.

Lagosians are in bondage
This is how people meet ghost in life and think they are still alive!
Hallucination at work!
Smh

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: ASUU Strike: Ngige Begs University Lecturers To Have Mercy On Students by Metuh: 8:41am On Jan 07, 2019
This dwarf is mad.

FG should pay up asap.

4 Likes

Re: ASUU Strike: Ngige Begs University Lecturers To Have Mercy On Students by id4sho(m): 8:41am On Jan 07, 2019
f
Re: ASUU Strike: Ngige Begs University Lecturers To Have Mercy On Students by BubuZombi: 8:42am On Jan 07, 2019
God Bless General Sani Abacha
Re: ASUU Strike: Ngige Begs University Lecturers To Have Mercy On Students by Bossontop(m): 8:42am On Jan 07, 2019
undecided
If its a matter of "Having Mercy" why wont thd FG "Have Mercy" on ASUU and do what they promised sinse 2009??

10 Likes

Re: ASUU Strike: Ngige Begs University Lecturers To Have Mercy On Students by Shortyy(f): 8:42am On Jan 07, 2019
Motherfuckers, pay your workers. All y'all know is to loot. Pay them begging won't solve anything

3 Likes

Re: ASUU Strike: Ngige Begs University Lecturers To Have Mercy On Students by MiaB(f): 8:42am On Jan 07, 2019
They should not call off oh. I need to collect salary first
Re: ASUU Strike: Ngige Begs University Lecturers To Have Mercy On Students by myettiallah: 8:42am On Jan 07, 2019
Pictures of Ngige Begging lecturers or adonbiliv it

2 Likes

Re: ASUU Strike: Ngige Begs University Lecturers To Have Mercy On Students by israelmao(m): 8:42am On Jan 07, 2019
FG should rather have mercy on students.
Re: ASUU Strike: Ngige Begs University Lecturers To Have Mercy On Students by Nobody: 8:43am On Jan 07, 2019
post=74524538:
LECTURERS make una hear ooooo.

Let our children go back to school ASAP PLEASE.

Why can't your Lord Buhari solve the issue?

4 Likes

Re: ASUU Strike: Ngige Begs University Lecturers To Have Mercy On Students by ABANGWABOI(m): 8:43am On Jan 07, 2019
As usual.. Keep them talking style.. Fg isn't serious yet

2 Likes

Re: ASUU Strike: Ngige Begs University Lecturers To Have Mercy On Students by obaataaokpaewu: 8:43am On Jan 07, 2019
If they heed to this plea, strike will still be occurring in the future. Why not trash everything at once so that there won't be any strike in the future?

2 Likes

Re: ASUU Strike: Ngige Begs University Lecturers To Have Mercy On Students by emmyxtacy: 8:43am On Jan 07, 2019
Why not tell the same thing to the idiot of a president who doesn't read

2 Likes

Re: ASUU Strike: Ngige Begs University Lecturers To Have Mercy On Students by Nobody: 8:44am On Jan 07, 2019
We go tay for house fa

1 Like

Re: ASUU Strike: Ngige Begs University Lecturers To Have Mercy On Students by husbandsnatcha(f): 8:44am On Jan 07, 2019
ASUU dnt pity student is 4 d gud

Ebonyi is not part of biafra ~Gov umahi

umuabakaliki is dat true grin
Re: ASUU Strike: Ngige Begs University Lecturers To Have Mercy On Students by yomi007k(m): 8:45am On Jan 07, 2019
MiaB:
They should not call off oh.
I need to collect salary first
grin
Re: ASUU Strike: Ngige Begs University Lecturers To Have Mercy On Students by landmark86: 8:45am On Jan 07, 2019
Main reason I decided to school in Kenya
ASUU & FG are bad market since 80's
Re: ASUU Strike: Ngige Begs University Lecturers To Have Mercy On Students by obajoey(m): 8:45am On Jan 07, 2019
is it by begging or by doing what is necessary.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The State Of Deterioration In Our Schools In Borno State. / Does Lasu Allow Combination Of Results / JAMB Reduces Cut-off Mark To 180 For Unis & 160 For Others

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.