Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,860 members, 7,810,287 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:42 AM

Stephen Hawking Urges Humans To Leave Earth To Avoid Disaster - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Stephen Hawking Urges Humans To Leave Earth To Avoid Disaster (12057 Views)

BREAKING NEWS: Earth To Experience 6 Days Total Darkness Dec 16-22 / South Africa's ANC Calls Israeli Ambassador To Leave The Country / Stephen Hawking:aliens Do Exist (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Stephen Hawking Urges Humans To Leave Earth To Avoid Disaster by johnblaze1: 9:38am On Aug 11, 2010
Stephen Hawking urges humans to leave Earth to avoid disaster

The Canadian Press
August 10, 2010

A d v e r t i s e m e n t
Stephen Hawking is suggesting the survival of the human race will likely depend on changing neighbourhoods and moving to another planet.

The famed physicist says in the centuries ahead, it will be hard for Earthlings to avoid a disaster of biblical proportion on their home turf, and he recommends they avoid putting all their eggs in one basket – or planet.

Hawking writes on the website BigThink.com that he sees great dangers ahead for the human race, noting such close calls as the 1962 Cuban missile crisis.

Fresh food that lasts from eFoods Direct

He warns about a ballooning population using up the Earth’s finite resources and the growing ability of humans to alter their environment for good, or ill.

http://www.thestar.com/news/world/article/845893--stephen-hawking-urges-humans-to-leave-earth-to-avoid-disaster
Re: Stephen Hawking Urges Humans To Leave Earth To Avoid Disaster by Beaf: 8:05pm On Aug 11, 2010
How do you plan to leave Earth?
Foolish topic.

1 Like

Re: Stephen Hawking Urges Humans To Leave Earth To Avoid Disaster by shotster50(m): 3:00am On Aug 12, 2010
@ Beaf, This might sound foolish to you now but i do not think it will be in 70 80 years time. We are slowly using up all of earth's resources and there will soon be need to look elsewhere for survival.
Re: Stephen Hawking Urges Humans To Leave Earth To Avoid Disaster by johnblaze1: 9:16am On Aug 12, 2010
shotster50:

@ Beaf, This might sound foolish to you now but i do not think it will be in 70 80 years time. We are slowly using up all of earth's resources and there will soon be need to look elsewhere for survival.

I think you have a point
Re: Stephen Hawking Urges Humans To Leave Earth To Avoid Disaster by Okijajuju1(m): 9:31am On Aug 12, 2010
Look whos talking.

I guess he had a little too much 2012 to watch.

Re: Stephen Hawking Urges Humans To Leave Earth To Avoid Disaster by Beaf: 6:29pm On Aug 12, 2010
^
Dude, your posts are generally great, so please, I beg don't seem like you're poking fun at the disabled. Edit the post abeg.
Re: Stephen Hawking Urges Humans To Leave Earth To Avoid Disaster by ElRazur: 7:18pm On Aug 12, 2010
Okija_juju:

Look whos talking.

I guess he had a little too much 2012 to watch.

You are a person. Hawking is ranked in the same class as Einstein.

@Topic

Given the huge probability of finding planets outside our solar system that can actually be close to earth, then it will only be a matter of time before Man turn his sights into exploring such options.
Re: Stephen Hawking Urges Humans To Leave Earth To Avoid Disaster by manmustwac(m): 1:11am On Aug 13, 2010
The dude is highly educated so don't yab him
Re: Stephen Hawking Urges Humans To Leave Earth To Avoid Disaster by ElRazur: 5:57pm On Aug 13, 2010
manmustwac:

But he can yab him if he happens to be uneducated but sits in a wheel chair? Some of una never cease to amaze me.
Re: Stephen Hawking Urges Humans To Leave Earth To Avoid Disaster by Hauwa1: 6:23pm On Aug 13, 2010
do you mind him, it is the same way they don't respect the less fortunate among them in their country, long hissssssssssssssssssss

bless you Hawking, long live man.

ElRazur:

@Topic

Given the huge probability of finding planets outside our solar system that can actually be close to earth, then it will only be a matter of time before Man turn his sights into exploring such options.

Re: Stephen Hawking Urges Humans To Leave Earth To Avoid Disaster by Kx: 6:28pm On Aug 13, 2010
Oko shocked shocked

1 Like

Re: Stephen Hawking Urges Humans To Leave Earth To Avoid Disaster by ElRazur: 8:11pm On Aug 13, 2010
Kx:

Person never think how him go take leave wheelchair, na earth him wan commot. shocked shocked shocked

Well done. Another person in the building. smiley
Re: Stephen Hawking Urges Humans To Leave Earth To Avoid Disaster by ElRazur: 8:15pm On Aug 13, 2010
*Hauwa*:

do you mind him, it is the same way they don't respect the less fortunate among them in their country, long hissssssssssssssssssss

Some people are just simpletons you see.

I personally do not think he is less fortunate. He's a genius and I see that first and see him as a human second. His disability are part of what makes him who he is. I have no idea what is like to be like him, and vice versa. Hence, why there should be a mutual respect.

From the top of my head, he's got a debilitating condition from a very young age. He went to either Oxford or Cambridge university and I truly respect him for what he's achieved. He's got three kids or so with a loving wife. His life is most likely better than those mocking him in my opinion.
Re: Stephen Hawking Urges Humans To Leave Earth To Avoid Disaster by Okijajuju1(m): 9:44pm On Aug 13, 2010
Beaf:

^
Dude, your posts are generally great, so please, I beg don't seem like you're poking fun at the disabled. Edit the post abeg.

Yo bruv, First of all, I wasnt poking fun at him, not at all. I just included the pic so we all would have an idea of the person who made the statement. I am very familiar with Prof. Hawkings and his many achivements and his accident which lead to the discovery of his motor nuerone disease ( amyotrophic lateral sclerosis).
I'm jusy saying, him as a person has been making some really outrageous statements lately. Google his claims about alien life forms et. al.

No disrespect to him at all, but I think he needs to stop with his rather crazy claims. BTW should we all be careful making statements bout him cos he is handicapped??!

ElRazur:

Mr. ElRazur

I'm really sorry if my post struck a nerve, and I am really sorry if my post made you come to such a conclusion about me (the unmentionable adjectives with which you qualified me all over this thread). But I guess everyone is entitled to their opinion.
The fact that Prof. Hawkings records an I.Q of over 160 does not make him immune to being castigated by the public, especially when he makes such statements with which I strongly disagree. It has nothing to do with his current physical state.

manmustwac:

In that case, I guess all educated "handicapped" folks have auto-immunity to public opinion.  undecided

*Hauwa*:

Long live Mankind indeed.

But my dear you are so wrong if you felt my post was an attack on his physical state. NO!
I just think Prof. Hawkings has been making some rather outrageous statements. I'll show you some of em.

Professor Stephen Hawkings: “If aliens ever visit us, I think the outcome would be much as when Christopher Columbus first landed in America, which didn’t turn out very well for the Native Americans.”

I'm guessin like Indepence Day.

Professor Stephen Hawking: "humans should be "wary of answering" aliens until our species has become more sophisticated."

Note; "Answering". lol

Professor Stephen Hawkings: “We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn’t want to meet. I imagine they might exist in massive ships, having used up all the resources from their home planet. Such advanced aliens would perhaps become nomads, looking to conquer and colonise whatever planets they can reach”

I still love this one. Sounds like something straight out of a Stephen Spielberg Movie. I guess Stephens think alike. lol

In my opinion, the dude might be a genuis, but more often than none talks crazy.

person!! Wow!! Thats a new one.  grin  grin  grin

Re: Stephen Hawking Urges Humans To Leave Earth To Avoid Disaster by 1105(f): 10:37pm On Aug 13, 2010
Kx:

Person never think how him go take leave wheelchair, na earth him wan commot. shocked shocked shocked

Death,, grin grin
But its true sha, 1day this earth would surely die
but i Thank God by that tyme i don Join baba God tey tey!!
Re: Stephen Hawking Urges Humans To Leave Earth To Avoid Disaster by ElRazur: 11:34pm On Aug 13, 2010
Okija_juju:

Mr. ElRazur

I'm really sorry if my post struck a nerve, and I am really sorry if my post made you come to such a conclusion about me (the unmentionable adjectives with which you qualified me all over this thread). But I guess everyone is entitled to their opinion.
The fact that Prof. Hawkings records an I.Q of over 160 does not make him immune to being castigated by the public, especially when he makes such statements with which I strongly disagree. It has nothing to do with his current physical state.

Dude, it is clear for all to see exactly what you are pushing across by posting a picture of him. How many thread around here have you posted pictures of who ever said something you disagree with? It is very low of you and a backward approach my friend. The fact that you even try to give justification when everyone can see through you thin-veil attempts at mocking him is just another highlight of the very adjective I used in qualifying you.

When man wanted to visit the moon, folks like you called it a waste of money etc. When man wanted to conquer space, I am sure it was your kind who wrote tp the authority to make complaints. Nice.

If you want to disagree with him, by all mean do so. However, trying to use his not-so-appealing photograph to discredit him is just very low. Period.
Re: Stephen Hawking Urges Humans To Leave Earth To Avoid Disaster by ElRazur: 11:52pm On Aug 13, 2010
By the way, since you STRONGLY disagree with his views, can you at least come out with a strong counter-view as to why you disagree with him? Instead of posting weak and lame attempts.
Re: Stephen Hawking Urges Humans To Leave Earth To Avoid Disaster by Okijajuju1(m): 12:08pm On Aug 14, 2010
Tisk! Tisk Tisk!! Mr Razur!!

You are a difficult one. Like I said earlier, you are entitled to your opinion bout me, just like I'm free to talk about anyone as I see fit. Too bad we have misunderstood each other so far.

Be that as it may, I will start from the bit about him wanting to go to space. How useful will Prof. Hawkings be in space?! Would he finally be able to make contact with the much elusive alien life forms we have been searching for??! I dont think so. LooK I'm amazed the guy still has his I.Q intact even with his situation (which I now see is a taboo to talk about), but simply because you are renowned in THEORITICAL physics dont give you the right to say humans should evacuate earth. Remember that his branch of physics is theoritical not necessarily practical.

Now his latest statement seems to be falling in line with the latest trend in town, This one being Global warming. Yes we all have heard about it, yes we seem to be noticing changes around us, but if you must know, I am of the school of thought that we humans are too small to destroy earth. The earth is a system, a set of interdependent entities forming an integrated whole. Just when we think we are destroying one part of the system, it would be correcting itself in another. The Earth has been around way too long to be destroyed now. Even the Dinosaurs couldnt achieve such a feat.

Even if say we could just manage to destroy earth, and had to run with Prof. Hawkings idea of abandoning earth, How does he propose we achieve it? First of all has our renowned genius on extra-terristial and space matters know something he isnt sharing with us fucktards?! like does Hawkings have a map to the habitable planet that could serve as home to humans providing us with good, clean, breathable air, adequate sunlight? fertile soil to grow our seed (food) drinkable water, e.t.c? or a propulsion system hidden somewhere in his bedroom capable of getting us there? Or some other genuis idea on how we are going to either develop faster than light travel (supersonic spaceships or better yet teleportation pods) or produce the food we will need to feed and sustain the human race in the said planet?! Remember that civilization goes beyond humans, it involves animals for meat, plants for food, and water for thirst. O snaps!! He isnt so intelligent afterall now is he?!

Secondly, Why would someone so intelligent, with a said I.Q of over 160, ranked amongst the likes of Albert Einstien and Isaac Newton, keep insisting we try to flee earth, when it is obvious that we have no where to flee to, no way to even flee, and even if by some "super lucky sheer genuis miracle wonder" we did manage to flee earth, we have no way of sustaining ourselves there. Or wait! Is he trying to carry out some sort of Natural selection (or is it artificial selection) where the "super intelligent and rich breed" would hop on a shuttle and leave earth and go to some new planet and repopulate whilst we poor humans remain here and die?? Or how possible is it that we could transport say 20Million people to say Mars for example?!

Look Dude (Razur), I am one person who just tries to keep s#!t real. Its sad that he looks that way in that picture, but thats how he looks in all his pictures. Wether he be wearing a tuxedo of nightrobe.It wasnt intended as pun when I posted it, but looking at it now, I guess I understand why y'all would darw such conclusions from it, hence my apologies. Its sad that he is in such a state physically as I wouldnt wish such on even my worst enemy, but that not withstanding, I think Prof. Hawkings seems to be taking advantage of the theoritical aspect of his physics to make insane predictions and all. Yes I believe that someday in the future we would (or might just) exhaust the finite non-renewable resources earth has to offer (although I must say that day is billions of years away), but one thing he also seems to forget is that we humans are very dynamic. We will cross that bridge when that time comes. Even if it would require us living underground.

Mr Razur, I am very tired & sleepy right now, I have had a long stressful day. This will be the last time I will apologize to you on this subject. I would take down his picture & my post with it, if it would make you feel any better, but then again, I still dont give two F's what non of you think about me. Its sad he has a medical condition, but I would have made the same statements bout Obama if he had talked trash like this too. So here goes my final apology to you; I'm sorry Mr. Razur and others like you who might have taken offence to my statement about our friend Prof. Hawkings. It wasnt born out of malice but just a reaction to yet another one of his outrageous theories about space and alien life forms.

Alusi_OkijaTM
Re: Stephen Hawking Urges Humans To Leave Earth To Avoid Disaster by james1(m): 2:17pm On Aug 14, 2010
Hawking!***laughs.
Re: Stephen Hawking Urges Humans To Leave Earth To Avoid Disaster by Nobody: 3:28pm On Aug 14, 2010
john_blaze:

Stephen Hawking urges humans to leave Earth to avoid disaster

The Canadian Press
August 10, 2010

A d v e r t i s e m e n t
Stephen Hawking is suggesting the survival of the human race will likely depend on changing neighbourhoods and moving to another planet.

The famed physicist says in the centuries ahead, it will be hard for Earthlings to avoid a disaster of biblical proportion on their home turf, and he recommends they avoid putting all their eggs in one basket – or planet.

Hawking writes on the website BigThink.com that he sees great dangers ahead for the human race, noting such close calls as the 1962 Cuban missile crisis.

Fresh food that lasts from eFoods Direct

He warns about a ballooning population using up the Earth’s finite resources and the growing ability of humans to alter their environment for good, or ill.

http://www.thestar.com/news/world/article/845893--stephen-hawking-urges-humans-to-leave-earth-to-avoid-disaster

***faints***
Re: Stephen Hawking Urges Humans To Leave Earth To Avoid Disaster by shotster50(m): 11:31pm On Aug 14, 2010
@ Okija

You do realise that he does not mean we humans have to leave the earth now?
Re: Stephen Hawking Urges Humans To Leave Earth To Avoid Disaster by Okijajuju1(m): 11:52pm On Aug 14, 2010
And you do realise that it is impossible for all humans to evacuate earth now or in the future. This is home, this is where we were meant to be and this is where we will always be.

1 Like

Re: Stephen Hawking Urges Humans To Leave Earth To Avoid Disaster by Beaf: 12:03am On Aug 15, 2010
Okija_juju:

And you do realise that it is impossible for all humans to evacuate earth now or in the future. This is home, this is where we were meant to be and this is where we will always be.

Dat one na true!
I don't agree with Stephen Hawking either, humans leaving Earth is quite extreme. Anyways, its even debatable if man ever landed on the Moon, talkless of rocketing off to Mars or wherever.
Re: Stephen Hawking Urges Humans To Leave Earth To Avoid Disaster by Ibime(m): 1:15am On Aug 15, 2010
Next thing, they will be recommending population control and eugenics.
Re: Stephen Hawking Urges Humans To Leave Earth To Avoid Disaster by shotster50(m): 2:04am On Aug 15, 2010
@ Okija,

Did you for one second think it would be practical to evacuate every single person on earth He is talking about preserving our species. What he is saying is that with the technology we have and are likely to develop in the future man should be able to create colonies if you may outside of earth. It might sound way out there for you but it is exactly how it sounded when the idea of man going to the moon was first mooted.
Re: Stephen Hawking Urges Humans To Leave Earth To Avoid Disaster by Okijajuju1(m): 8:03am On Aug 15, 2010
^^^ I really doubt that was what he was implying. Here's the quote;

Stephen Hawkings :
“It will be difficult enough to avoid disaster on planet Earth in the next hundred years, let alone the next thousand, or million. The human race shouldn’t have all its eggs in one basket, or on one planet.”

So basically, what he is suggesting is that we go find another planet and habit it, creating sort of like a back-up specie of Mankind to protect the race from extinction. Well I beg to differ. I think with the new technological advancements being made now and those to come in the future, will actually make things better. Reduce pollution, end green house emissions thereby stopping the depletion of our ozone layer, thus stop the melting of the Ice caps, e.t.c, e.t.c.

I did give his statement some  thought and wandered how feasible it will be. Look this is nothing like going to the moon. We wanted to visit the moon not live on the moon. I think we stand a better chance of landing on the Sun (yeah I said it), than actually populating another planet. Rather than spend billions on evacuation (colonization of another planet) and "natural selection" for our new planet, we should rather invest in alternative energy and cleaning up our planet. If we were destined to be wiped out like the dinosaurs, then I guess there really aint nothing we can do bout it, but the faith I have in the human race leads to to believe that our dynamism will always help us adjust to any cnditions that might arise in the future. The hope of humanity isnt on any other planet but rather here with us, ON EARTH
Re: Stephen Hawking Urges Humans To Leave Earth To Avoid Disaster by ElRazur: 3:42pm On Aug 15, 2010
Okija_juju:

You are a difficult one. Like I said earlier, you are entitled to your opinion bout me, just like I'm free to talk about anyone as I see fit. Too bad we have misunderstood each other so far.

Yes I can be a difficult one, especially when someone will see the need to attack or demean someone on the basis of their disability, whilst missing what the article is about. As per to opinion, yes we are entitled to one. However, as it stand so far, your contribution is making it look like for your type, it should be a privilege to be allowed opinions. Yes, your opinion sucks harder than a Dyson hoover.

Be that as it may, I will start from the bit about him wanting to go to space. How useful will Prof. Hawkings be in space?! Would he finally be able to make contact with the much elusive alien life forms we have been searching for??! I dont think so. LooK I'm amazed the guy still has his I.Q intact even with his situation (which I now see is a taboo to talk about), but simply because you are renowned in THEORITICAL physics dont give you the right to say humans should evacuate earth. Remember that his branch of physics is theoritical not necessarily practical.

Once again, you acted like a muppet, is it hard for you to see beyond his disability? Will you be asking this particular question if he is not physically disable? You see, you are a person just like I said all along. smiley For the record, he's always wanted to be in space and one of the driving forces and desire behind his success.

If I may draw your attention to the obvious fact that a lot of practical elements - You name it - started out as a theory of some kind. It started with inquisitive mind wondering ideas in their head and put forward their idea which forms the basis of a theory. Nice one foolio.

Now his latest statement seems to be falling in line with the latest trend in town, This one being Global warming. Yes we all have heard about it, yes we seem to be noticing changes around us, but if you must know, I am of the school of thought that we humans are too small to destroy earth. The earth is a system, a set of interdependent entities forming an integrated whole. Just when we think we are destroying one part of the system, it would be correcting itself in another. The Earth has been around way too long to be destroyed now. Even the Dinosaurs couldnt achieve such a feat.

What exactly is your point here? Seriously, if you can criticise someone on the basis of their disability, I was actually expecting you to come out with some strong points. Not some regurgitated shiiit that is more or less common knowledge? Seriously, what is your point?

Even if say we could just manage to destroy earth, and had to run with Prof. Hawkings idea of abandoning earth, How does he propose we achieve it? First of all has our renowned genius on extra-terristial and space matters know something he isnt sharing with us fucktards?! like does Hawkings have a map to the habitable planet that could serve as home to humans providing us with good, clean, breathable air, adequate sunlight? fertile soil to grow our seed (food) drinkable water, e.t.c? or a propulsion system hidden somewhere in his bedroom capable of getting us there? Or some other genuis idea on how we are going to either develop faster than light travel (supersonic spaceships or better yet teleportation pods) or produce the food we will need to feed and sustain the human race in the said planet?! Remember that civilization goes beyond humans, it involves animals for meat, plants for food, and water for thirst. O snaps!! He isnt so intelligent afterall now is he?!

You are a Grade A idiiot am afraid. You seem to forget that we currently have nuclear and atomic weapons that are capable of destroying the whole planet over many times. Have you been living in the dark ages?

For the record, he is proposing an idea that we can one run out of resources (or irreversible destroy the earth) and as such, it makes sense to pre-empt and search of planets that can allow survival of human colony. What is there not to understand? For the record, a colony of human may mean a few hundreds or a few thousands, not the whole human race so you really are getting the wrong end of the stick.

Secondly, Why would someone so intelligent, with a said I.Q of over 160, ranked amongst the likes of Albert Einstien and Isaac Newton, keep insisting we try to flee earth, when it is obvious that we have no where to flee to, no way to even flee, and even if by some "super lucky sheer genuis miracle wonder" we did manage to flee earth, we have no way of sustaining ourselves there. Or wait! Is he trying to carry out some sort of Natural selection (or is it artificial selection) where the "super intelligent and rich breed" would hop on a shuttle and leave earth and go to some new planet and repopulate whilst we poor humans remain here and die?? Or how possible is it that we could transport say 20Million people to say Mars for example?!

How much do you know about recent discoveries and developments?  You come across as very naive and borderline ignorant. He is proposing an idea, I am not sure you understand what it means to "propose an idea"? Especially, when we are not to far off from achieving such feats. 

As per the rest of your statement making speculation, I will just let you baseless imagination run wild.

Look Dude (Razur), I am one person who just tries to keep s#!t real. Its sad that he looks that way in that picture, but thats how he looks in all his pictures. Wether he be wearing a tuxedo of nightrobe.It wasnt intended as pun when I posted it, but looking at it now, I guess I understand why y'all would darw such conclusions from it, hence my apologies. Its sad that he is in such a state physically as I wouldnt wish such on even my worst enemy, but that not withstanding, I think Prof. Hawkings seems to be taking advantage of the theoritical aspect of his physics to make insane predictions and all. Yes I believe that someday in the future we would (or might just) exhaust the finite non-renewable resources earth has to offer (although I must say that day is billions of years away), but one thing he also seems to forget is that we humans are very dynamic. We will cross that bridge when that time comes. Even if it would require us living underground.

What exactly are you "keeping real" here? Your idiottics attempt of mocking a disabled person? Or you moronic rants trying to cover your tracks? Seriously, what are you keeping real?

Dude you apologies means poo to me, you have gone right back to use disability to take a jibe at him. But I guess that is your own way of apologising. Jesus wept.

Seeing that you do not understand a few basics of biology and perhaps physics, allow me to explain to you in very simple terms and analogy:

If you take a colony of bacteria and put them in a agar solution in a petri dish, the bacteria off course will hence multiply and grow larger. However, there comes a point where they will grow past the optimum population and as such the agar solution will eventually run out. When this happen, all the bacteria will die out. It is the law of nature and order of things you see. Now imagine the bacteria is human and the agar solution is the resources available on earth. You see, that alone destroys your theory of "infinite resources".

Yes, humans are very versatile and as such managed to over come these "law of nature". For example, war and epidemics that helps to keep the human population in check are becoming less and less frequent, this means there is an increase in population and as such a drain on the resources. Why do you think China try to keep it population in check via enforcing one-child policy? Surely if resources are limited, they should let their population have kids like rabbits? No?

You see, there are loads of evidences to suggest that one day, we will deplete the resources on earth, there are evidence to support that one day we are capable of destroying our very own planets (Nuclear/Atomic bomb). So it makes sense to look at possibility of planets that may offer us resources in order to carry on our species.

With the advances in physics and science, man have travelled as far back as Sarturn using probes robot, you see it is a matter of time before we do bigger and better things. Heck Richard Branson and co are even looking at offering holiday in space so all your points are utter irrelevant.
Re: Stephen Hawking Urges Humans To Leave Earth To Avoid Disaster by Okijajuju1(m): 6:42am On Aug 16, 2010
Whatever man!!
Re: Stephen Hawking Urges Humans To Leave Earth To Avoid Disaster by houvest: 2:11pm On Aug 20, 2010
Hawkins theory is worth looking into. There are Trillions of Planets in space. It is highly possible that God has equipped man with the ability of discovering them, inhabitting them and harnessing them. If not why create so many planets? Giod is not wasteful is my belief.
Re: Stephen Hawking Urges Humans To Leave Earth To Avoid Disaster by Beaf: 11:00pm On Aug 21, 2010
houvest:

Hawkins theory is worth looking into. There are Trillions of Planets in space. It is highly possible that God has equipped man with the ability of discovering them, inhabitting them and harnessing them. If not why create so many planets? Giod is not wasteful is my belief.

This is a bit closed minded. What do you mean "wastefull?" How do you know other beings do not already inhabit those planets?

Why do you think mankind is special? How have you come to the conclusion that mankinds mode of existence and being is the only available option? If it isn't, how can you tell that there aren't other creatures existing side by side with us, but whom we do not have the senses to percieve? How do you know if creatures similarly out the range of our 5 senses of perception do not inhabit the myriad planets we know exist?

As a human, you are trapped by the patterns you have formed as a crutch to understand your own World, so how can you even begin to talk about God?
Re: Stephen Hawking Urges Humans To Leave Earth To Avoid Disaster by ElRazur: 10:00am On Aug 22, 2010
Beaf:

This is a bit closed minded. What do you mean "wastefull?" How do you know other beings do not already inhabit those planets?

Why do you think mankind is special? How have you come to the conclusion that mankinds mode of existence and being is the only available option? If it isn't, how can you tell that there aren't other creatures existing side by side with us, but whom we do not have the senses to percieve? How do you know if creatures similarly out the range of our 5 senses of perception do not inhabit the myriad planets we know exist?

As a human, you are trapped by the patterns you have formed as a crutch to understand your own World, so how can you even begin to talk about God?

While I understand your view points and where he is coming from too. I think I am very tolerant of those who combine God with science. Those who I cannot stand are those who ignore science and embrace God's theory alone!
Re: Stephen Hawking Urges Humans To Leave Earth To Avoid Disaster by 9jawear(m): 8:07am On Aug 23, 2010
oya lets begin the evacuation, so where do we go to mars?
but seriously ,man has already colonised mars, there have been some secret video footage that it is being prepared for the earths elite,in case of a disaster like 2012 or something

(1) (2) (Reply)

Shell Defends 'Difficult' Decision To Buy Russian Crude Oil / Pictures Of Anti-Japanese Demonstrations In China / To Keep the top job Zuma offers twelve cows to ancestors

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 101
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.