Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,879 members, 7,810,350 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 07:33 AM

6 Common Signs That You Are Not Eating Enough Protein (Photos) - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / 6 Common Signs That You Are Not Eating Enough Protein (Photos) (49540 Views)

Warning Signs That You May Be At Risk Of A Heart Attack And What To Do / 7 Signs That Shows You Don't Drink Enough Water / These Are Signs That You Might Have Liver Failure (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

6 Common Signs That You Are Not Eating Enough Protein (Photos) by Gist247(m): 10:30am On Jan 11, 2019
Proteins are essential nutrients that keep your body going. They are polymers made up of amino acids, which are important molecules needed for the different biochemical process in the body.

Protein is an integral part of every cell in your body.

The body uses this nutrient to build, repair and replace worn-out tissues; produce enzymes, hormones and other body chemicals; and also help build bones, muscles, skin, cartilage and even blood.

Unlike other nutrients like fat and carbohydrates, your body does not store protein.

So, you need to consume protein-rich foods from time to time in order to give your body a good supply of this essential nutrient.

1. Muscle Weakness

If you experience sudden muscle weakness or pain, it could be a sign that you are not eating enough protein.

Protein can be used as a fuel for your muscle, so your muscle will suffer when you lack enough protein.

Lack of protein can be a concern, especially in aged men. Men typically may experience loss of muscle mass due to aging and they lose even more protein if they are not eating enough protein via their diet on a daily basis.

If you don’t have sufficient protein, your body breaks down protein-rich tissues for muscle usage.

The initial effect of low protein intake is muscle wasting, which is accompanied by increasing weakness.

2. Frequent Food Cravings

Another common sign of insufficient protein is frequent food cravings.

Sweet craving is especially more common in people who are not getting the recommended amount of protein.

You may also experience sweet cravings even after eating something sweet. This occurs because you are taking in less protein and you are probably eating a diet high in carbohydrates and/or sugar in return.

This may lead to a sudden spike in your blood sugar level and make you feel hungry more frequently.

Also, protein takes a longer time to digest, which makes you feel full longer. This, in turn, regulates your blood sugar levels and helps you control your food cravings.

3. Lowered Immune Functioning

A low protein level may also make susceptible to diseases and sickness.

Since the immune cells are mostly made from proteins, they help keep your immune system functioning properly.

Proteins make up white blood cells (WBC), antibodies, blood proteins and a host of immune molecules, including cytokines and interleukins.

4. Poor Hair Health

Your hair is made mostly of a protein known as keratin, and this makes protein essential for hair health.

Protein is the building block of all cells and tissues; in fact, your hair follicle is made up of protein. Each and every of your hair strand requires an adequate dose of protein to grow.

So, when your body does not have sufficient protein, it starts conserving the little one and thus limiting protein output. The resulting effect is uncontrolled hair loss.

Apart from that, your hair also becomes dry and brittle.

5. Weak and Brittle Nails

Weak and brittle nails are one of the first common signs of lack of proteins.

Just like the hair, nails are also made up of keratins protein. So, to have a strong and healthy nail, you need to up your protein intake.

When your body doesn’t have sufficient protein, it does not have enough protein to grow strong nails. In addition, inadequate protein intake can cause white spots on your nails.

Furthermore, the lack of protein may lead to more frequent hangnails as well as cracks and tears in the nails. This can make your nails susceptible to infections such as nail fungus.

6. Fluid Retention

Abnormal accumulation of fluid also known as edema is another sign of low protein intake.

Protein is crucial in preventing fluid accumulation in tissues, especially in the feet and ankles, by retaining salt and water in the blood vessels.

Without enough protein, these fluids can escape into the surrounding tissues and lead to swelling of the lower legs and feet.

Source: https://www.thrivengr.com/not-eating-enough-protein.html

31 Likes 6 Shares

Re: 6 Common Signs That You Are Not Eating Enough Protein (Photos) by itseedris(m): 10:38am On Jan 11, 2019
Nice, I guess I should start eating healthy...Do you have more tips to help me eat healthier?

5 Likes

Re: 6 Common Signs That You Are Not Eating Enough Protein (Photos) by MCMXCVIII(m): 10:42am On Jan 11, 2019
Hmmmmmm
Students that dine with garri, rice and spag 24/7
Come and see this revelation.

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: 6 Common Signs That You Are Not Eating Enough Protein (Photos) by Elijah4332: 11:03am On Jan 11, 2019
Wow....
This post ia wonderful, almost everything on this post is happening to me, most especially No.4...
My hairs �...
Nice write up...
I think I'll be visiting your site everyday to know more about my health and fitness...
Nice one thrivengr.com�.

5 Likes

Re: 6 Common Signs That You Are Not Eating Enough Protein (Photos) by internationalman(m): 11:04am On Jan 11, 2019
Most Nigerians may be poor but still they eat balanced diet unknowingly..

Imagine there are almost all the 6 nutrients of food in Okra or Egusi soup and tomato stew.

So I don't bother myself..

That's why I don't consider myself eaten if I have not eaten swallow...

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 6 Common Signs That You Are Not Eating Enough Protein (Photos) by biyiwyle(m): 11:19am On Jan 11, 2019
Wow! This is so awesome... I'm very hairy but have soft nails... What does that make me?! Protein insufficient?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 6 Common Signs That You Are Not Eating Enough Protein (Photos) by Akemim(m): 2:28pm On Jan 11, 2019
I must say from experience, not eating enough protein could harm you in the long run. Think of it, the immune system is made up of proteins, so lacking this essential nutrient will suppress your body defense system. My Take
Re: 6 Common Signs That You Are Not Eating Enough Protein (Photos) by Gist247(m): 3:29pm On Jan 11, 2019
internationalman:
Most Nigerians may be poor but still they eat balanced diet unknowingly..

Imagine there are almost all the 6 nutrients of food in Okra or Egusi soup and tomato stew.

So I don't bother myself..

That's why I don't consider mysrlf eaten if I have not eaten swallow...

You've got a point man grin

1 Like

Re: 6 Common Signs That You Are Not Eating Enough Protein (Photos) by aguiyi2: 3:33pm On Jan 11, 2019
Eat meat*wahala*,if you don't eat meat *wahala*.Which kain life be this?

10 Likes

Re: 6 Common Signs That You Are Not Eating Enough Protein (Photos) by Kingosytex(m): 3:34pm On Jan 11, 2019
interesting write-up, kudos to you OP
Re: 6 Common Signs That You Are Not Eating Enough Protein (Photos) by NobleAngell(f): 3:35pm On Jan 11, 2019
Very insightful.
Re: 6 Common Signs That You Are Not Eating Enough Protein (Photos) by enemyofprogress: 3:35pm On Jan 11, 2019
Who protein epp, where eba, amala, akpu and pounded yam dey

1 Like

Re: 6 Common Signs That You Are Not Eating Enough Protein (Photos) by Opinionated: 3:39pm On Jan 11, 2019

Re: 6 Common Signs That You Are Not Eating Enough Protein (Photos) by sparog(m): 3:41pm On Jan 11, 2019
grin
Re: 6 Common Signs That You Are Not Eating Enough Protein (Photos) by Mariangeles(f): 3:41pm On Jan 11, 2019
In addition, protein makes you fill full for long without the need to eat in between meals...helps you to stay in shape
Re: 6 Common Signs That You Are Not Eating Enough Protein (Photos) by lovelylad: 3:41pm On Jan 11, 2019
what of wrinkle skin?

3 Likes

Re: 6 Common Signs That You Are Not Eating Enough Protein (Photos) by mikejj(m): 3:41pm On Jan 11, 2019
enemyofprogress:
Who protein epp, where eba, amala, akpu and pounded yam dey
grin osha pra pra ur belle go soon face north when ur head face south.!

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: 6 Common Signs That You Are Not Eating Enough Protein (Photos) by Tonyspecial(m): 3:42pm On Jan 11, 2019
issorite
Re: 6 Common Signs That You Are Not Eating Enough Protein (Photos) by Nobody: 3:42pm On Jan 11, 2019
Beans is the cheapest source of protein. Learn to eat beans. If u cant, teach yr kids to. Stop feeding them indomie and chicken feeds. Thats not classiness, its insanity. People forming class with noodles and rice. Na sufferness. No be class. Dont rope ur kids into nonsense. Women.

20 Likes

Re: 6 Common Signs That You Are Not Eating Enough Protein (Photos) by enemyofprogress: 3:44pm On Jan 11, 2019
mikejj:
grin osha pra ur belle go soon face north when ur head face south.!
tongue tongue
Re: 6 Common Signs That You Are Not Eating Enough Protein (Photos) by Dacronym(m): 3:46pm On Jan 11, 2019
Hmmmm
Keto comes to mind

1 Like

Re: 6 Common Signs That You Are Not Eating Enough Protein (Photos) by johnsuarez1: 3:46pm On Jan 11, 2019
thats so true
Re: 6 Common Signs That You Are Not Eating Enough Protein (Photos) by Mariangeles(f): 3:50pm On Jan 11, 2019
camobri:
Beans is the cheapest source of protein. Learn to eat beans. If u cant, teach yr kids to. Stop feeding them indomie and chicken feeds. Thats not classiness, its insanity. People forming class with noodles and rice. Na sufferness. No be class. Dont rope ur kids into nonsense. Women.
That was before o...Nowadays, eggs are the cheapest source of protein

With the smallest size being 3 for #100, one can afford to give a child one egg per day

6 Likes

Re: 6 Common Signs That You Are Not Eating Enough Protein (Photos) by dermmy(m): 3:58pm On Jan 11, 2019
biyiwyle:
Wow! This is so awesome... I'm very hairy but have soft nails... What does that make me?! Protein insufficient?

No Amala insufficient.
Re: 6 Common Signs That You Are Not Eating Enough Protein (Photos) by Osyxcel(m): 3:58pm On Jan 11, 2019
camobri:

Beans can also contain up to 70% or more of carbohydrate, depending on the type. Those chicken feeds are actually high in protein and lower fat than red meat.

Foods like fish, meat, soybeans and diary products contain more protein, but they also contain high concentration of fats. Same with nuts.

The most important thing is to balance your kids diet by giving them variety of foods, including lots of vegetables, legumes and fruits. Multivitamins are also important to to take care of nutritional deficiencies.

4 Likes

Re: 6 Common Signs That You Are Not Eating Enough Protein (Photos) by sparog(m): 4:00pm On Jan 11, 2019
shocked
Re: 6 Common Signs That You Are Not Eating Enough Protein (Photos) by dominique(f): 4:03pm On Jan 11, 2019
Mariangeles:
In addition, protein makes you fill full for long without the need to eat in between meals...helps you to stay in shape

Yes, as stated in the article

Also, protein takes a longer time to digest, which makes you feel full longer. This, in turn, regulates your blood sugar levels and helps you control your food cravings.
Re: 6 Common Signs That You Are Not Eating Enough Protein (Photos) by Nobody: 4:06pm On Jan 11, 2019
aguiyi2:
Eat meat*wahala*,if you don't eat meat *wahala*.Which kain life be this?
So said the grand old God, Man born of woman is filled with troubles and agitation all thru his life Job 14vs1
Re: 6 Common Signs That You Are Not Eating Enough Protein (Photos) by Mariangeles(f): 4:10pm On Jan 11, 2019
dominique:

Yes, as stated in the article

It did...??
I didn't read it to be honest... grin

2 Likes

Re: 6 Common Signs That You Are Not Eating Enough Protein (Photos) by ecstasy357(m): 4:13pm On Jan 11, 2019
This is very helpful. Thanks
Re: 6 Common Signs That You Are Not Eating Enough Protein (Photos) by omonnakoda: 4:18pm On Jan 11, 2019
Graaanut is king o

research

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

7 Reasons Not To Wear A Thong / Mass Production Of Face-masks In Aba (For Coronavirus Protection) / 27 Dead Cows Smuggled Into Rivers State From The North (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.