Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,915 members, 7,835,058 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 02:49 AM

Man Fined £170 For Saying 'Allahu Akbar' In Public In Switzerland - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Man Fined £170 For Saying 'Allahu Akbar' In Public In Switzerland (356 Views)

Macdonald In China Apologizes For Saying Blacks Not Allowed In Their Restaurant / Knifeman Yelling 'allahu Akbar' Shot Dead After Killing Two In France / ‘shout Allahu Akbar In Venice & We’ll Shoot You Within 3 Steps,’ Mayor Vows (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Man Fined £170 For Saying 'Allahu Akbar' In Public In Switzerland by OLAADEGBU(m): 6:01pm On Jan 12, 2019
Muslim Is Fined £170 For Saying 'Allahu Akbar' In Public In Switzerland When He Said The Phrase To Express Shock At Seeing His Friend
• The 22-year-old, named as Orhan E., shouted out the words in Schaffhausen
• Police questioned him and charged the man with causing a public nuisance
• Officers defended their actions saying the words could have scared people
By TIM STICKINGS FOR MAILONLINE
PUBLISHED: 12:55, 10 January 2019 | UPDATED: 12:55, 10 January 2019

A Muslim man has been fined £170 in Switzerland for saying 'Allahu Akbar' in public when he saw a friend.

The 22-year-old man, named in Swiss media as Orhan E., made the exclamation - which means 'God is the greatest' in Arabic - in May last year.

Fearing a terror attack, police in the city of Schaffhausen stopped the man and charged him with causing a public nuisance.

But police have defended their actions, saying they would have reacted the same way if someone had been running around swearing, local newspaper Schaffhauser Nachrichten reported.

Orhan said he had been searched by police with armed weapons after saying the words out loud when he was astonished to encounter a friend.

He told 20 Minuten: 'Suddenly the police officer called me over, and she asked what I meant by that phrase.'

Orhan explained he had meant nothing sinister, saying: 'We use "Allahu Akbar" as a greeting and almost in every other sentence.

'I was threatened with prison if I didn't pay the fine. I was born here and I've never experienced anything like it.'

He was handed a fine of 150 Swiss francs and ordered to pay another 60 in costs, adding up to 210 francs (£170).

A police spokesperson said: 'At the time there was a possibility that people could be scared and terrified.'

The officer had to inspect the situation because of the phrase's connection to terror attacks in recent years, they said.

Another police officer said it was the manner of the expression which had led to the fine.

'If someone's running around the square swearing, we'll bring them under control then too,' they said.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6577257/Muslim-fined-170-saying-Allahu-Akbar-public-Switzerland.html?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Man Fined £170 For Saying 'Allahu Akbar' In Public In Switzerland by Oshin56(m): 6:17pm On Jan 12, 2019
For causing public nuisance that's good

6 Likes

Re: Man Fined £170 For Saying 'Allahu Akbar' In Public In Switzerland by ceejayMAX(m): 6:24pm On Jan 12, 2019
Good one.next time wen e tink d money wen e go pay e go shutup

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Man Fined £170 For Saying 'Allahu Akbar' In Public In Switzerland by okosodo: 6:25pm On Jan 12, 2019
A
Re: Man Fined £170 For Saying 'Allahu Akbar' In Public In Switzerland by SOFTENGR: 6:40pm On Jan 12, 2019
The last time I heard that statement, I got to know it's possible to accelerate to 60km/hr in 2 seconds.

That's a statement made by peaceful people! grin grin

1 Like

Re: Man Fined £170 For Saying 'Allahu Akbar' In Public In Switzerland by daroz(m): 7:47pm On Jan 12, 2019
Kudos to the police Officers. That phrase is synonymous to ....

1 Like

Re: Man Fined £170 For Saying 'Allahu Akbar' In Public In Switzerland by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:44pm On Jan 13, 2019
Oshin56:

For causing public nuisance that's good

Could you imagine what panic he caused by that phrase? undecided

(1) (Reply)

Botswana, Zimbabwe Diplomatic Bond Come To An Agreement / Another Nigeria Nab At Saudi Arabia. / Libya Crisis: UN Appeal For Truce To Evacuate Wounded

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.