Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,520 members, 7,836,980 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 03:17 PM

Hey My People - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Hey My People (4259 Views)

Hey Fam, It's A While. Here's Stunning Taino Bay Island In Dominican Republic . / Hey Guys I Got My Canadian Study Visa. What Airline Do You Recommend I Use / Hello My People... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Hey My People by Reeses: 5:17pm On Jan 16, 2019
I will need you guys honest answer to this my desperate questions. I am 32yo us citizen and married and I have a CS degree. I miss Nigeria so much and would like to know if it is advisable to move back from America to Nigeria because I am very tired of working and paying bills it's becoming a nightmare that might not end soon. Thanks

1 Like

Re: Hey My People by xoxocandy(f): 5:30pm On Jan 16, 2019
Better stay there. It's worse here.

8 Likes

Re: Hey My People by scholachatcopyw(f): 5:44pm On Jan 16, 2019
Reeses:
I will need you guys honest answer to this my desperate questions. I am 32yo us citizen and married and I have a CS degree. I miss Nigeria so much and would like to know if it is advisable to move back from America to Nigeria because I am very tired of working and paying bills it's becoming a nightmare that might not end soon. Thanks

Do you have a game plan?

1 Like

Re: Hey My People by Babyvet: 5:48pm On Jan 16, 2019
Reeses:

When is the last time you visited Nigeria?
Re: Hey My People by Bostin(m): 6:01pm On Jan 16, 2019
Reeses:
Come home since you are a US citizen. Here is your home , buy a house or build one here and enjoy your full liberty of life . You can always ran back anytime things gone wrong .

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Hey My People by Dapricha(m): 6:13pm On Jan 16, 2019
You won't pay bills in Nigeria? What part please?
Re: Hey My People by Beautyaddy: 6:30pm On Jan 16, 2019
Dapricha:

About from house rent( if you don't own your own house) most bills in Nigeria are not taxed.

Also, there's less compulsory bills to worry about in Nigeria too.

4 Likes

Re: Hey My People by scholachatcopyw(f): 6:37pm On Jan 16, 2019
I was in a place today where they run power completely on solar. You should look into that if you decide to jet back. Good luck sir
Re: Hey My People by Sheq: 6:52pm On Jan 16, 2019
Tell us about your self in the abroad..did you get an education and what level is it... and what job do you do....
Re: Hey My People by Reeses: 7:56pm On Jan 16, 2019
scholachatcopyw:

Do you have a game plan?
no not yet but want to work for myself though..help me if have any suggestions on what I could pick up on.
Re: Hey My People by Reeses: 7:56pm On Jan 16, 2019
Bostin:
Come home since you are a US citizen. Here is your home , buy a house or build one here and enjoy your full liberty of life . You can always ran back anytime things gone wrong .
sounds great ..Thanks man

1 Like

Re: Hey My People by Reeses: 7:57pm On Jan 16, 2019
Babyvet:

When is the last time you visited Nigeria?
Back in June 2014.
Re: Hey My People by Reeses: 8:00pm On Jan 16, 2019
Dapricha:
I will pay bills no doubt but here is worse man. you will have to keep working until you work yourself into ground Most people here both whites,blacks or Spanish are all killing ourselves with work work work and it's too much.I need a place to relax my brain for a mintute.
Re: Hey My People by Reeses: 8:02pm On Jan 16, 2019
xoxocandy:
Better stay there.
It's worse here.
Define worse? Because I see lots of white people getting on a plane to Nigeria every day so what are they doing there exactly.

3 Likes

Re: Hey My People by Reeses: 8:03pm On Jan 16, 2019
Beautyaddy:

About from house rent( if you don't own your own house) most bills in Nigeria are not taxed.

Thanks that's it man.it feels like you are working for someone else.
Re: Hey My People by Reeses: 8:05pm On Jan 16, 2019
scholachatcopyw:
I was in a place today where they run power completely on solar. You should look into that if you decide to jet back. Good luck sir
Could you help me out with the place because we might not last longer over here before we move countries.Thanks
Re: Hey My People by Reeses: 8:11pm On Jan 16, 2019
Sheq:
Tell us about your self in the abroad..did you get an education and what level is it... and what job do you ....
Have a BS in computer science works as a supply chain Data analyst.The pay is good no doubt but my body and soul can't accept this lifestyle of sleep, wake up and work then repeat the same thing every week.

1 Like

Re: Hey My People by Beautyaddy: 8:53pm On Jan 16, 2019
Reeses:
Could you help me out with the place because we might not last longer over here before we move countries.Thanks

Lol!...How long have you been residing in the US?

What about your family members residing in Nigeria? How's your communication and relationship going along with them?

1 Like

Re: Hey My People by Reeses: 9:06pm On Jan 16, 2019
Beautyaddy:

Lol!...How long have you been residing in the US?

What about your family members residing in Nigeria? How's your communication and relationship going along with them?
Been here since I was 18 and i actually don't speak with most of them and wouldn't want any of them aware that I am around though .
Re: Hey My People by feellike: 9:17pm On Jan 16, 2019
Bostin:

So things are better here? Poster am sure there is something u not saying here......first time I am hearing us citizens complaining of paying bills...pls come out plane
Re: Hey My People by Babyvet: 9:41pm On Jan 16, 2019
feellike:

So things are better here? Poster am sure there is something u not saying here......first time I am hearing us citizens complaining of paying bills...pls come out plane

I don’t know about the op but lots of people are complaining about America including the native born ones. Until you live here , you won’t understand.

8 Likes

Re: Hey My People by Babyvet: 9:46pm On Jan 16, 2019
Reeses:

Back in June 2014.

It’s been a while you have gone back home . Why don’t you visit home first . Find out what’s available to you for source of income.Try to visit areas that you think that you can live in. Also try to calculate how much money you will need to move back home. Moving to another country is big decision. Moving to Nigeria that’s lack basics amenities for the common man is even a harder decision especially when your coming from the U.S.

6 Likes

Re: Hey My People by Sheq: 10:21pm On Jan 16, 2019
Reeses:
Have a BS in computer science works as a supply chain Data analyst.The pay is good no doubt but my body and soul can't accept this lifestyle of sleep, wake up and work then repeat the same thing every week.
eeya... is the work ruining you relationships? do you boss have power over your weekend and let you work overtime compulsorily? dont they offer you health insurance? do you have low death and killing rate in your community? is there constant light too? Do you have easy access to travel to other countries mayne for vacation and rest ming etc?

3 Likes

Re: Hey My People by Sheq: 10:23pm On Jan 16, 2019
feellike:

i swear ... because i know people who got visa lottery in 2008... and these children post God bless america everyday on their instagram status... their father was a mere introtech teacher in oyo...now they are living their dreams oo

i know india H1 b visa guys..earning over 200k peryear and more..and are willing to keep enjoying america...

whcih is why i had to ask whether he is educated and legal sef

2 Likes

Re: Hey My People by Dapricha(m): 10:38pm On Jan 16, 2019
Reeses:

I will pay bills no doubt but here is worse man. you will have to keep working until you work yourself into ground Most people here both whites,blacks or Spanish are all killing ourselves with work work work and it's too much.I need a place to relax my brain for a mintute.
Okay, now that you are explicit, I concur 100%. Sound health supercedes hustling and making money. Lol to relaxing your brain, I can relate
Re: Hey My People by Dapricha(m): 10:43pm On Jan 16, 2019
Beautyaddy:

Lol @Beautyaddy. Of course paying tax is a different ball game. I was responding to paying bills. Absolutely, he will be okay with tax; provided the condition you stated is present. Blessed day to you
Re: Hey My People by Mancala: 11:46pm On Jan 16, 2019
Reeses:

I sympathize with the way you feel about America. I have been in your positon in the past but quickly found a workaround/workable solution. At a point in time, I was longing for the carefree/lackadaisical nature of life I experience when I visit Nigeria and also missing seeing my people on a daily basis. Like you, I have a family here and felt stuck. First, perish the thought of moving back to Nigeria without a concrete plan. You will regret it. Visiting life is a lot different from permament living in Nigeria. Those foreigners you see getting on planes everyday are going to Nigeria to make money, in many cases to rape the economy. A vast majority of them are not going there to stay permanently. One thing that pissed me off about Nigeria is the opoportunities that were provided to foreigners that were not made available to Nigerians. For example, when I worked in the Nigerian Oil industry with a 5 year technical degree from a first rate university, my fellow managers who were white either had high school diplomas or two year technical school diplomas. They would hire masters degree holders with many years of experience to report to these folks who were there by virtue of being "Oyinbo". What I'm trying to tell you is that white priviledge does exists in Nija. Don't think you will easily get the effortless pickings/fat juicy opportunies with low risk that these guys get.

Its easy to get overwhelmed with the routine and monotony of life in the U.S. especially if you live in one of the cold weather states where a typical Nija man is stuck indoors for the better part of winter. The solution is to travel. One benefit of being a U.S. citizen is that most of the world is open to you for travel without the hassels of getting a visa. Start by travelling within the U.S. You can arrange travel around your kids school schedule. Lots of "quick trip" opportunities within the school year for long 3-5 day weekend trips within the U.S. Spring Break is usually a week to 10 day break. Christmas break.....Thanks giving etc. Travel renews the mind and body and gives you a new perspective on life.

One more piece of advice I can give you from experience is this. The secret to living a successful working class life in America is to work hard when you're young and start building your wealth early. I'm assuming you're in a corporate job and have a 401k or IRA account with a company match? Max out your contributions and take advantage of the match. As you rise within the organization, you will get stocks and bonuses. Save and invest. Before you hit 50, you will potenially be a millionaire multiple times over. You can take an early retirement and go check out Nigeria relatively risk free at that point in time. I have a friend who did that with a $6 million portfolio (starting with modest Apple/tech stock holdings) that earns approx 180-200k per annum that he uses to finance his Nigeria/rest of the world travels in an early retirement while waiting on SS of at least $2,100 per month when he hits 62+. He built a house in Nigeria but always stays in hotels. Go figure!

One more thing, if you don't like where you live and work in America, now is the time to move someplace else within the country. Unemployment is low, wages are rising. But like always, you will find that affordale/better quality of life and long term career opportunities are more prevalent in those blasted cold weather states grin

27 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Hey My People by Reeses: 12:43am On Jan 17, 2019
Mancala:

I sympathize with the way you feel about America. I have been in your positon in the past but quickly found a workaround/workable solution. At a point in time, I was longing for the carefree/lackadaisical nature of life I experience when I visit Nigeria and also missing seeing my people on a daily basis. Like you, I have a family here and felt stuck. First, perish the thought of moving back to Nigeria without a concrete plan. You will regret it. Visiting life is a lot different from permament living in Nigeria. Those foreigners you see getting on planes everyday are going to Nigeria to make money, in many cases to rape the economy. A vast majority of them are not going there to stay permanently. One thing that pissed me off about Nigeria is the opoportunities that were provided to foreigners that were not made available to Nigerians. For example, when I worked in the Nigerian Oil industry with a 5 year technical degree from a first rate university, my fellow managers who were white either had high school diplomas or two year technical school diplomas. They would hire masters degree holders with many years of experience to report to these folks who were there by virtue of being "Oyinbo". What I'm trying to tell you is that white priviledge does exists in Nija. Don't think you will easily get the effortless pickings/fat juicy opportunies with low risk that these guys get.

Its easy to get overwhelmed with the routine and monotony of life in the U.S. especially if you live in one of the cold weather states where a typical Nija man is stuck indoors for the better part of winter. The solution is to travel. One benefit of being a U.S. citizen is that most of the world is open to you for travel without the hassels of getting a visa. Start by travelling within the U.S. You can arrange travel around your kids school schedule. Lots of "quick trip" opportunities within the school year for long 3-5 day weekend trips within the U.S. Spring Break is usually a week to 10 day break. Christmas break.....Thanks giving etc. Travel renews the mind and body and gives you a new perspective on life.

One more piece of advice I can give you from experience is this. The secret to living a successful working class life in America is to work hard when you're young and start building your wealth early. I'm assuming you're in a corporate job and have a 401k or IRA account with a company match? Max out your contributions and take advantage of the match. As you rise within the organization, you will get stocks and bonuses. Save and invest. Before you hit 50, you will potenially be a millionaire multiple times over. You can take an early retirement and go check out Nigeria relatively risk free at that point in time. I have a friend who did that with a $6 million portfolio (starting with modest Apple/tech stock holdings) that earns approx 180-200k per annum that he uses to finance his Nigeria/rest of the world travels in an early retirement while waiting on SS of at least $2,100 per month when he hits 62+. He built a house in Nigeria but always stays in hotels. Go figure!

One more thing, if you don't like where you live and work in America, now is the time to move someplace else within the country. Unemployment is low, wages are rising. But like always, you will find that affordale/better quality of life and long term career opportunities are more prevalent in those blasted cold weather states grin
Hey I really appreciate taking your time to give me a whole lots of advice that will surely go a long way to help knock down few of the headache I'm currently having ..I recently move from PA to Texas though but might be looking to make a move again because I am not liking here that much.But thanks much will take a few of your advice up..

6 Likes

Re: Hey My People by Beautyaddy: 1:02am On Jan 17, 2019
Sheq:
i swear ... because i know people who got visa lottery in 2008... and these children post God bless america everyday on their instagram status... their father was a mere introtech teacher in oyo...now they are living their dreams oo

i know india H1 b visa guys..earning over 200k peryear and more..and are willing to keep enjoying america...

whcih is why i had to ask whether he is educated and legal sef

Lol!...as we all already know the saying, "one man's meat is another man's poison."
Re: Hey My People by Beautyaddy: 1:15am On Jan 17, 2019
Reeses:

Hey I really appreciate taking your time to give me a whole lots of advice that will surely go a long way to help knock down few of the headache I'm currently having ..I recently move from PA to Texas though but might be looking to make a move again because I am not liking here that much.But thanks much will take a few of your advice up..

What a very good and educative advice Mancala offered with his/her post.

And let me also add my little cents and that is try to cut down on some unecessary expenses of wants( somethings you can do without) and try to set aside money for savings that you can use some for vacations times. And also try to have more relaxing time from work by just working the required 40hrs a week as much as possible.
Re: Hey My People by Mancala: 2:08am On Jan 17, 2019
Reeses:

You're most welcome and I wish you the best as you determine next steps for your future in this great country.

I haven't met many Nigerians besides myself, and now you, who do not like Texas. I especially dislike Houston, it's a concrete Jungle with hardly any redeeming attributes. I like Dallas better but as a whole, Texas does not appeal to me. It's a an entirely different country grin

But I must ask you this. What makes you think you will like Nigeria if you are currently not liking Texas? One of my biggest reasons for not caring much for Texas, Houston especially is it's "Nigerian Factor". I'm curious if this is a a factor in your feelings.

1 Like

Re: Hey My People by drakeli: 2:22am On Jan 17, 2019
Dapricha:
He will pay the bills and get no service. At least where he is, he is enjoying what he’s paying bills for.

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

My Trip To Village Of Yester Years(usa) / Holland Visa Application Process / Australian Or New Zealand Visa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.