Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,376 members, 7,812,094 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 08:06 AM

How UNILAG’s Draconian Rule Threw Faculty Of Law Into Electoral Chaos - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How UNILAG’s Draconian Rule Threw Faculty Of Law Into Electoral Chaos (17365 Views)

See How UNILAG Medical Students Sleep On Main Road!!! / I Will Not Join ASUU Strike - Suny Edeko, Dean, Faculty Of Law, AAU / Chinelo Okafor, UNN Best Graduating Student (Faculty Of Health Science) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

How UNILAG’s Draconian Rule Threw Faculty Of Law Into Electoral Chaos by Nonsooke: 11:45pm On Jan 17, 2019

This might be a long read so please bear with me.

So August 2018, the Faculty of Law had their presidential elections and after a long and hard fought battle, a winner emerged. Let’s call the winner “A” and the person in second place “B”. I am using pseudo-names because the school has a rule that has barred students from putting the school in “disrepute” and I wouldn’t want to get the innocent students in trouble.

Anyway, two years ago, the school made a rule that students that have ever been matriculated in another school cannot hold any elective position. But A who won the election was once offered admission into YABATECH. He paid the acceptance and school fees but he never turned up for the matriculation neither did he sign the oath which technically means he was not matriculated but the fans of B made it an issue and petitioned the school authorities.
The issue should be a straight one right? But it turned into such a huge issue that the winner was advised to step down so as to not allow it degenerate into something bigger than it is. So he stepped down as president-elect
Now the question is that should the runner up, B become the president elect and by effect the president when school resumes bearing in mind that
1. He is not the candidate voted for by the majority
2. The winner has not technically broken the rule but the school’s draconian rule is making this an issue
3. What becomes of a democratic process when the majority of the electorates do not have faith in him and this casts a shadow on the process altogether.

All these issues won’t come up if the school hadn’t come up with ridiculous electoral regulations. And also the issue of threatening students with expulsion if they speak against the school who does that in a democracy? And these same people will be on social media abusing leaders…

What do you think?

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: How UNILAG’s Draconian Rule Threw Faculty Of Law Into Electoral Chaos by hos4x(m): 12:02am On Jan 18, 2019
That's you and your stupid school's business

94 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How UNILAG’s Draconian Rule Threw Faculty Of Law Into Electoral Chaos by IjebuWarrior: 12:02am On Jan 18, 2019
OP... Just pay MC Oluomo, Koko Zaria, Siego, Kunle Poly, Talo and co... I swear, dem no born their fada well. cool

Na candidate 'A' go assume office, walahi cool

If you don't believe me, simply ask Jagaban! grin grin

54 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How UNILAG’s Draconian Rule Threw Faculty Of Law Into Electoral Chaos by mainkendo: 12:02am On Jan 18, 2019
grin grin
Re: How UNILAG’s Draconian Rule Threw Faculty Of Law Into Electoral Chaos by Melison(m): 12:03am On Jan 18, 2019
hos4x:
grin grin grin laff no go keee me

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: How UNILAG’s Draconian Rule Threw Faculty Of Law Into Electoral Chaos by Melison(m): 12:04am On Jan 18, 2019
Wonder what people even gain in all this leadership stuff for school,wetin u go just melo collect degree waka comot una go dey draw unnecessary enemity

29 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How UNILAG’s Draconian Rule Threw Faculty Of Law Into Electoral Chaos by Basitelo1(m): 12:05am On Jan 18, 2019
Carry ur school Mata comot here, we still dey celebrate Atiku in America

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: How UNILAG’s Draconian Rule Threw Faculty Of Law Into Electoral Chaos by SexytorresE(f): 12:05am On Jan 18, 2019
hos4x:
that was loud grin

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How UNILAG’s Draconian Rule Threw Faculty Of Law Into Electoral Chaos by chloride6: 12:05am On Jan 18, 2019
Anyway, two years ago, the school made a rule that students that have ever been matriculated in another school cannot hold any elective position.

This is a stupid law

Gani rest in peace would have torn this apart in court with relish

Since its just "school", you can bet that there would be no president in that faculty that year...

13 Likes

Re: How UNILAG’s Draconian Rule Threw Faculty Of Law Into Electoral Chaos by infocabal(m): 12:06am On Jan 18, 2019
Nawao
Re: How UNILAG’s Draconian Rule Threw Faculty Of Law Into Electoral Chaos by naijaguy123456(m): 12:06am On Jan 18, 2019
Two scenarios

1. A stepping down is an admission of guilt. If he has no skeleton in his cupboard he would have fought this to the end. Am sure the school has a way of appealing decisions like this to the upper administrative bodies. So A may have matriculated before but misleading the public he never did.

2. A said to himself fu@k it, am here to study and am facing my studies. Let this stupid B go fu@k himself with school elections. Am finishing my studies with top grade and am walking into best job out there.

7 Likes

Re: How UNILAG’s Draconian Rule Threw Faculty Of Law Into Electoral Chaos by nairalee(m): 12:08am On Jan 18, 2019
hos4x:

grin grin grin so after someone has used his energy and wisdom to type all that, so this is all I have to say. You nairalanders can make someone commit suicide. Funny AF

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: How UNILAG’s Draconian Rule Threw Faculty Of Law Into Electoral Chaos by saifuhot: 12:10am On Jan 18, 2019
Also the issue of threatening students with expulsion if they speak against the school "who does that in a democracy?" And these same people will be on social media abusing leaders…

What do you think?
[/quote] I think dey does that in a democrazy woo grin [color=#990000][/color]

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How UNILAG’s Draconian Rule Threw Faculty Of Law Into Electoral Chaos by GideonVIBES(m): 12:10am On Jan 18, 2019
Melison:
Wonder what people even gain in all this leadership stuff for school,wetin u go just melo collect degree waka comot una go dey draw unnecessary enemity
many politicians started with student's activism, if it's not your thing I understand but it sure isn't a waste of time.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How UNILAG’s Draconian Rule Threw Faculty Of Law Into Electoral Chaos by Hotfreezer: 12:12am On Jan 18, 2019
You have alumni of the Faculty of Law, Unilag

If some dinosaur Professors without legal knowledge made some laws which are against commonsense, it is left for the students to contact their alumni who are into litigation to tear this dumb law apart.

However, if you guys don't want to talk and are all hiding, that's your business.

The Faculty of Law of ANY University is its premier Faculty and an undergraduate student of Law can school a Professor of any other course on legal matters. The law might have been made in ignorance, it's up to you guys to change it and the whole school depends on you.

Don't dissapoint everyone.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: How UNILAG’s Draconian Rule Threw Faculty Of Law Into Electoral Chaos by donnie(m): 12:14am On Jan 18, 2019
I'm not ready for a long read, so bye. undecided
Re: How UNILAG’s Draconian Rule Threw Faculty Of Law Into Electoral Chaos by kamez(m): 12:17am On Jan 18, 2019
how will our suggestions and advice change the current situation in ur school?..

abeg I don't have comment/advice to waste

2 Likes

Re: How UNILAG’s Draconian Rule Threw Faculty Of Law Into Electoral Chaos by Shikena(m): 12:21am On Jan 18, 2019
Nonsooke:
Anyway, two years ago, the school made a rule that students that have ever been matriculated in another school cannot hold any elective position. But A who won the election was once offered admission into YABATECH. He paid the acceptance and school fees but he never turned up for the matriculation neither did he sign the oath which technically means he was not matriculated but the fans of B made it an issue and petitioned the school authorities.
The issue should be a straight one right? But it turned into such a huge issue that the winner was advised to step down so as to not allow it degenerate into something bigger than it is. So he stepped down as president-elect.
The issue might not be as straight forward as you think. I assume you are a law student, so you should know better. What are the facts here?

- The electoral regulations regarding eligibility (Whether or not you personally agree with the rule is not an issue here - the fact is that there is a rule before this electoral process)
- There is a petition against 'A' citing the eligibility rule.
- There is an arbitration process

Bringing this online with your opinion presented as facts won't do any justice to this except you simply want to address the electoral rules stipulated by the authorities. Again, that is a different issue. There are bad laws and that's why laws are regularly amended as you know. On the argument of 'A', you should know that another party has been introduced here, 'YABATECH'. So the arbitration process will include verification of facts from YABATECH. It is not enough to simply say 'I did not attend the matric'. If YABATECH's record has 'A' as a matriculated student then another dimension of complication is automatically added to the case/issue.

When dealing with issues like this, it is always important to operate above the feelings and emotional level. Every position or argument must pass the rationality test and examined with 'what-ifs'. Just my opinion.

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: How UNILAG’s Draconian Rule Threw Faculty Of Law Into Electoral Chaos by adaweezy(m): 12:21am On Jan 18, 2019
Nonsooke:

This might be a long read so please bear with me.

So August 2018, the Faculty of Law had their presidential elections and after a long and hard fought battle, a winner emerged. Let’s call the winner “A” and the person in second place “B”. I am using pseudo-names because the school has a rule that has barred students from putting the school in “disrepute” and I wouldn’t want to get the innocent students in trouble.

The issue should be a straight one right? But it turned into such a huge issue that the winner was advised to step down so as to not allow it degenerate into something bigger than it is. So he stepped down as president-elect
Now the question is that should the runner up, B become the president elect and by effect the president when school resumes bearing in mind that
1. He is not the candidate voted for by the majority
2. The winner has not technically broken the rule but the school’s draconian rule is making this an issue
3. What becomes of a democratic process when the majority of the electorates do not have faith in him and this casts a shadow on the process altogether.

All these issues won’t come up if the school hadn’t come up with ridiculous electoral regulations. And also the issue of threatening students with expulsion if they speak against the school who does that in a democracy? And these same people will be on social media abusing leaders…

What do you think?
Who is the idiot that resigned ?
Re: How UNILAG’s Draconian Rule Threw Faculty Of Law Into Electoral Chaos by SEONaijaExpert: 12:23am On Jan 18, 2019
As far as the school is concerned they believed regardless of whether he matriculated or not, he's been admitted as a student and hence didn't consider Unilag enough as a focused choice.

Truth is unilag rules and stunts when coming to students seeing them as 'mighty' and the most preferred when coming to admission is ridiculous.
Re: How UNILAG’s Draconian Rule Threw Faculty Of Law Into Electoral Chaos by Alvin007: 12:23am On Jan 18, 2019
angry

1 Like

Re: How UNILAG’s Draconian Rule Threw Faculty Of Law Into Electoral Chaos by IjebuWarrior: 12:30am On Jan 18, 2019
naijaguy123456:
Two scenarios

1. A stepping down is an admission of guilt. If he has no skeleton in his cupboard he would have fought this to the end. Am sure the school has a way of appealing decisions like this to the upper administrative bodies. So A may have matriculated before but misleading the public he never did.

Just imagine dis one. No be do or die na... Na by force? Typical African man mentality! Na una type go dey blame African leaders.
A product of a failed system indeed. angry

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How UNILAG’s Draconian Rule Threw Faculty Of Law Into Electoral Chaos by oyebols(m): 12:33am On Jan 18, 2019
Na Una Sabi.... Then the right thing should be put in place...

Visit this astonishing blog for inspiring articles.... Oyebolsblog
Re: How UNILAG’s Draconian Rule Threw Faculty Of Law Into Electoral Chaos by Sterope(f): 12:38am On Jan 18, 2019
Who still think that this country is redeemable? grin
Re: How UNILAG’s Draconian Rule Threw Faculty Of Law Into Electoral Chaos by Femziecarlos(m): 12:48am On Jan 18, 2019
nairalee:

grin grin grin so after someone has used his energy and wisdom to type all that, so this is all I have to say. You nairalanders can make someone commit suicide. Funny AF

That fella no get joy....Lmao

2 Likes

Re: How UNILAG’s Draconian Rule Threw Faculty Of Law Into Electoral Chaos by toluleke(m): 12:48am On Jan 18, 2019
That a silly rule so far he is a student he has the right to contest. We blacks don't know what we want except to go to western world and be forming equal right

1 Like

Re: How UNILAG’s Draconian Rule Threw Faculty Of Law Into Electoral Chaos by SachaBastien(m): 12:53am On Jan 18, 2019
Candidate "A" knowing fully well the electoral laws governing the position for which he stood for election had the moral obligation to inform the screening committee of his past records. A lot of those who want to lead in Nigeria do not follow rules and regulations.
Candidate "B" should actually call for fresh elections. If he assumes office as president based on the disqualification of "A" who had been pronounced winner, his tenure will go into the annals with a cloud of illegitimacy hovering.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How UNILAG’s Draconian Rule Threw Faculty Of Law Into Electoral Chaos by Vatod(m): 1:08am On Jan 18, 2019
Shikena:

The issue might not be as straight forward as you think. I assume you are a law student, so you should know better. What are the facts here?

- The electoral regulations regarding eligibility (Whether or not you personally agree with the rule is not an issue here - the fact is that there is a rule before this electoral process)
- There is a petition against 'A' citing the eligibility rule.
- There is an arbitration process

Bringing this online with your opinion presented as facts won't do any justice to this except you simply want to address the electoral rules stipulated by the authorities. Again, that is a different issue. There are bad laws and that's why laws are regularly amended as you know. On the argument of 'A', you should know that another party has been introduced here, 'YABATECH'. So the arbitration process will include verification of facts from YABATECH. It is not enough to simply say 'I did not attend the matric'. If YABATECH's record has 'A' as a matriculated student then another dimension of complication is automatically added to the case/issue.

When dealing with issues like this, it is always important to operate above the feelings and emotional level. Every position or argument must pass the rationality test and examined with 'what-ifs'. Just my opinion.
nice1 that's the major difference between the Aboki's, Ipobian's and the Afonja's... Some thinks with there Cock, Some thinks with there Sticks while some thinks with there BRAINS

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

25-Year-Old Bags Ph.D At Babcock University / BREAKING: UI Shut Over Students’ Protest / Seventy Percent Of Teachers In South-west Are Unqualified - TRCN

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.