Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,906 members, 7,828,185 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 05:13 AM

How UNILAG’s Draconian Rule Threw Faculty Of Law Into Electoral Chaos - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How UNILAG’s Draconian Rule Threw Faculty Of Law Into Electoral Chaos (17380 Views)

See How UNILAG Medical Students Sleep On Main Road!!! / I Will Not Join ASUU Strike - Suny Edeko, Dean, Faculty Of Law, AAU / Chinelo Okafor, UNN Best Graduating Student (Faculty Of Health Science) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How UNILAG’s Draconian Rule Threw Faculty Of Law Into Electoral Chaos by Nobody: 1:37am On Jan 18, 2019
hos4x:
That's you and your stupid school's business
grin grin grin
Re: How UNILAG’s Draconian Rule Threw Faculty Of Law Into Electoral Chaos by Melison(m): 3:35am On Jan 18, 2019
GideonVIBES:
many politicians started with student's activism, if it's not your thing I understand but it sure isn't a waste of time.
its kinda true though

1 Like

Re: How UNILAG’s Draconian Rule Threw Faculty Of Law Into Electoral Chaos by AreaFada2: 4:05am On Jan 18, 2019
toluleke:
That a silly rule so far he is a student he has the right to contest. We blacks don't know what we want except to go to western world and be forming equal right
Abi?

Imagine if Obama's dad was white and his mother was a Nigerian. Despite being born & raised in Nigeria, he'd never become Nigerian president.

We use draconian rules to screen out the best and settle for mediocrity.

1 Like

Re: How UNILAG’s Draconian Rule Threw Faculty Of Law Into Electoral Chaos by Isoduwa(m): 4:09am On Jan 18, 2019
Basitelo1:
Carry ur school Mata comot here, we still dey celebrate Atiku in America

Spotted
Re: How UNILAG’s Draconian Rule Threw Faculty Of Law Into Electoral Chaos by cliqtips: 4:46am On Jan 18, 2019
Through it, some get connection while some embezzle funds using the department's/faculty's name to seek for fund.

Melison:
Wonder what people even gain in all this leadership stuff for school,wetin u go just melo collect degree waka comot una go dey draw unnecessary enemity
Re: How UNILAG’s Draconian Rule Threw Faculty Of Law Into Electoral Chaos by toprealman: 5:33am On Jan 18, 2019
Good law case for wannabe lawyers. You guys should get busy with it.....feed us back much later when the plot becomes interesting.
Re: How UNILAG’s Draconian Rule Threw Faculty Of Law Into Electoral Chaos by Mac2016(m): 6:13am On Jan 18, 2019
Nonsooke:

This might be a long read so please bear with me.

So August 2018, the Faculty of Law had their presidential elections and after a long and hard fought battle, a winner emerged. Let’s call the winner “A” and the person in second place “B”. I am using pseudo-names because the school has a rule that has barred students from putting the school in “disrepute” and I wouldn’t want to get the innocent students in trouble.

Anyway, two years ago, the school made a rule that students that have ever been matriculated in another school cannot hold any elective position. But A who won the election was once offered admission into YABATECH. He paid the acceptance and school fees but he never turned up for the matriculation neither did he sign the oath which technically means he was not matriculated but the fans of B made it an issue and petitioned the school authorities.
The issue should be a straight one right? But it turned into such a huge issue that the winner was advised to step down so as to not allow it degenerate into something bigger than it is. So he stepped down as president-elect
Now the question is that should the runner up, B become the president elect and by effect the president when school resumes bearing in mind that
1. He is not the candidate voted for by the majority
2. The winner has not technically broken the rule but the school’s draconian rule is making this an issue
3. What becomes of a democratic process when the majority of the electorates do not have faith in him and this casts a shadow on the process altogether.

All these issues won’t come up if the school hadn’t come up with ridiculous electoral regulations. And also the issue of threatening students with expulsion if they speak against the school who does that in a democracy? And these same people will be on social media abusing leaders…

What do you think?
This my opinion will defeat your antagonists. If your facts are certain as stated in the post. And the school law was just against matriculated student holding posts. Go to yabatech look for matric list for the year Mr A was meant to be matriculated. If his name is not on the list file a counter claim and smile to office elected and sworn in. The law is only against matriculated students not ones that has paid acceptance fees. If the guy's name is on yabatech matric list then there's little you can do but make sure you use your remaining time in school to make the school authorities eradicate that nonsense law.
Stay blessed!
Re: How UNILAG’s Draconian Rule Threw Faculty Of Law Into Electoral Chaos by ultron12345: 7:31am On Jan 18, 2019
Hotfreezer:
You have alumni of the Faculty of Law, Unilag

If some dinosaur Professors without legal knowledge made some laws which are against commonsense, it is left for the students to contact their alumni who are into litigation to tear this dumb law apart.

However, if you guys don't want to talk and are all hiding, that's your business.

The Faculty of Law of ANY University is its premier Faculty and an undergraduate student of Law can school a Professor of any other course on legal matters. The law might have been made in ignorance, it's up to you guys to change it and the whole school depends on you.

Don't dissapoint everyone.
What is this one saying

Better stay in your lane. Premier faculty my foot.
If any faculty should be considered premier, it is the Faculty of Clinical Sciences.
Re: How UNILAG’s Draconian Rule Threw Faculty Of Law Into Electoral Chaos by homesteady(m): 7:39am On Jan 18, 2019
Shikena:

The issue might not be as straight forward as you think. I assume you are a law student, so you should know better. What are the facts here?

- The electoral regulations regarding eligibility (Whether or not you personally agree with the rule is not an issue here - the fact is that there is a rule before this electoral process)
- There is a petition against 'A' citing the eligibility rule.
- There is an arbitration process

Bringing this online with your opinion presented as facts won't do any justice to this except you simply want to address the electoral rules stipulated by the authorities. Again, that is a different issue. There are bad laws and that's why laws are regularly amended as you know. On the argument of 'A', you should know that another party has been introduced here, 'YABATECH'. So the arbitration process will include verification of facts from YABATECH. It is not enough to simply say 'I did not attend the matric'. If YABATECH's record has 'A' as a matriculated student then another dimension of complication is automatically added to the case/issue.

When dealing with issues like this, it is always important to operate above the feelings and emotional level. Every position or argument must pass the rationality test and examined with 'what-ifs'. Just my opinion.

And I'm sure YABATECH's records would show that he was matriculated. Any student that has paid acceptance fees and have completed the necessary clearance, which I'm sure he did would be matriculated automatically, whether you attend the matriculation ceremony or not.

1 Like

Re: How UNILAG’s Draconian Rule Threw Faculty Of Law Into Electoral Chaos by bluefilm: 7:41am On Jan 18, 2019
hos4x:

Don't mind the jambito.

People are focussing on bigger issues and a bloke is here disturbing us with the nonsense activities and rules of his insignificant faculty of law.

1 Like

Re: How UNILAG’s Draconian Rule Threw Faculty Of Law Into Electoral Chaos by uchennamani(m): 8:33am On Jan 18, 2019
Nonsooke:

This might be a long read so please bear with me.

So August 2018, the Faculty of Law had their presidential elections and after a long and hard fought battle, a winner emerged. Let’s call the winner “A” and the person in second place “B”. I am using pseudo-names because the school has a rule that has barred students from putting the school in “disrepute” and I wouldn’t want to get the innocent students in trouble.

Anyway, two years ago, the school made a rule that students that have ever been matriculated in another school cannot hold any elective position. But A who won the election was once offered admission into YABATECH. He paid the acceptance and school fees but he never turned up for the matriculation neither did he sign the oath which technically means he was not matriculated but the fans of B made it an issue and petitioned the school authorities.
The issue should be a straight one right? But it turned into such a huge issue that the winner was advised to step down so as to not allow it degenerate into something bigger than it is. So he stepped down as president-elect
Now the question is that should the runner up, B become the president elect and by effect the president when school resumes bearing in mind that
1. He is not the candidate voted for by the majority
2. The winner has not technically broken the rule but the school’s draconian rule is making this an issue
3. What becomes of a democratic process when the majority of the electorates do not have faith in him and this casts a shadow on the process altogether.

All these issues won’t come up if the school hadn’t come up with ridiculous electoral regulations. And also the issue of threatening students with expulsion if they speak against the school who does that in a democracy? And these same people will be on social media abusing leaders…

What do you think?
First. This is not a long read like you said initially. Secondly, the points you raised are moot as whatever opinions people expressed here have no effect whatsoever on your faculty election.
Re: How UNILAG’s Draconian Rule Threw Faculty Of Law Into Electoral Chaos by Hotfreezer: 8:33am On Jan 18, 2019
ultron12345:

What is this one saying

Better stay in your lane. Premier faculty my foot.
If any faculty should be considered premier, it is the Faculty of Clinical Sciences.

Hahahaha

Clinical sciences?

The Present VP of the country is a Professor of that same Faculty of Law and you're here cracking jokes.

Re: How UNILAG’s Draconian Rule Threw Faculty Of Law Into Electoral Chaos by ultron12345: 8:41am On Jan 18, 2019
Hotfreezer:

Hahahaha

Clinical sciences?

The Present VP of the country is a Professor of that same Faculty of Law and you're here cracking jokes.

HaHaHa

Law ke, VP ni
Using your logic, zoology is superior to law since the immediate former president (as the current president is not a graduate of a proper university) was a zoologist.
Now You See how dumb your point was.
Whether you like it or not, clinical sciences rule. The Senate president is also a graduate of the Faculty of Clinical Sciences.
Re: How UNILAG’s Draconian Rule Threw Faculty Of Law Into Electoral Chaos by gambit10: 8:47am On Jan 18, 2019
Melison:
Wonder what people even gain in all this leadership stuff for school,wetin u go just melo collect degree waka comot una go dey draw unnecessary enemity

You couldn’t have said it any better.... asin jejely collect the useless kpali commot

1 Like

Re: How UNILAG’s Draconian Rule Threw Faculty Of Law Into Electoral Chaos by umarfaruq1805: 8:49am On Jan 18, 2019
don't tell me Tade stepped down. The electoral chaos in FSS is worse ooh. Petition just dey fly upandan sotey DSA call our staff advisor
Re: How UNILAG’s Draconian Rule Threw Faculty Of Law Into Electoral Chaos by Lordmavidon(m): 9:33am On Jan 18, 2019
hos4x:
Oh my Lewd!!!
Bros, you no go kee person o, The op go just froze for where him dey!
LMAO

1 Like

Re: How UNILAG’s Draconian Rule Threw Faculty Of Law Into Electoral Chaos by thatigboman: 9:44am On Jan 18, 2019
Op, to answer your question 1, was yahaya bello elected by majority of kogi voters? What about Omehia of rivers that ruled without standing for election?
Life is not fair.
Re: How UNILAG’s Draconian Rule Threw Faculty Of Law Into Electoral Chaos by thatigboman: 9:48am On Jan 18, 2019
homesteady:

And I'm sure YABATECH's records would show that he was matriculated. Any student that has paid acceptance fees and have completed the necessary clearance, which I'm sure he did would be matriculated automatically, whether you attend the matriculation ceremony or not.
exactly
Re: How UNILAG’s Draconian Rule Threw Faculty Of Law Into Electoral Chaos by mechanics(m): 10:50am On Jan 18, 2019
hos4x:
Easy na.

1 Like

Re: How UNILAG’s Draconian Rule Threw Faculty Of Law Into Electoral Chaos by mechanics(m): 10:51am On Jan 18, 2019
The case is complex o, don't know who you will run to for help, since it's a local politics, your school should resolve the issue.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Unijos Alumni Contribute Money To Help Mentally Challenged Classmate (Video) / LASU Shortlists Candidates Without PhD For VC Position / 25-Year-Old Bags Ph.D At Babcock University

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.