Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,163 members, 7,815,063 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:31 AM

Some Of Obansanjo's Achievement As President - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Some Of Obansanjo's Achievement As President (4139 Views)

Taiwo, Obansanjo’s Wife Begs Obas, Yoruba, Says ‘Forgive My Husband’ / 2023: Obansanjo And Afenifere Dumps Obi, Visits Sultan Of Sokoto / Obansanjo Is An Expired Politician- Bola Tinubu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Some Of Obansanjo's Achievement As President by shachris02: 5:29pm On Jan 20, 2019
I know buhari's supporters will start attacking the person of OBJ without having anything to say about the important messge he's passing.

Before we forget so soon, Obasanjo was probably one of Nigeria's best President since this democratic dispensation.

Listed below are some of his achievements.

1. Obasanjo established the EFCC and ICPC and also strengthened the Code of Conduct Bureau to fight corruption in Nigeria. Criminals, from top politicians like Tafa Balogun, Bode George to swindlers and internet fraudsters have been sent to jail by these agencies.

2. Foreign reserve when Obasanjo came into power was just $2 billion in 1999. But when he was leaving office by 2007, foreign reserve was a whooping $43 billion.

3. He secured an $18 billion debt relief from the Paris and London clubs and got Nigeria free of debt

4. Obasanjo brought in mobile telecommunications (GSM) into Nigerian which arguably has been the greatest achievement by any Nigerian leader.

5. Obasanjo discovered people like Charles Soludo, Okonjo Iweala whose contributions to national and economic development cannot be overemphasized.

6. Obasanjo launched Nigeria's first satellite in space, Nigeria Satellite 1 which ensured good internet and mobile communication.

7. Obasanjo ensured the dramatic development of Abuja under Mallam Nasir El Rufai as ministers with the Abuja Masterplan

1 Like

Re: Some Of Obansanjo's Achievement As President by Yambee: 5:31pm On Jan 20, 2019
8. He stole $16 Billion for electricity too. List it as his achievement too.

9. Under his nose, Atiku stole so much, he took Nigeria 45 yrs backwards.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Some Of Obansanjo's Achievement As President by frankmoney(m): 5:35pm On Jan 20, 2019
Gsm would have still.made it's way to nigeria , obasanjo or not . And discovering people like soludo or iweala is not an achievement.

But he did a good job with the debt relief , and increase in foreign reserve , and efcc establishment , those ones are the achievement

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Some Of Obansanjo's Achievement As President by Agritech(m): 5:38pm On Jan 20, 2019
this is what he could do in 8 years?
Re: Some Of Obansanjo's Achievement As President by helinues: 5:39pm On Jan 20, 2019
shachris02:
I know buhari's supporters will start attacking the person of OBJ without having anything to say about the important messge he's passing.

Before we forget so soon, Obasanjo was probably one of Nigeria's best President since this democratic dispensation.

Obasanjo is now an hero just because he is supporting Atiku's candidacy

Chei

5 Likes

Re: Some Of Obansanjo's Achievement As President by Agritech(m): 5:42pm On Jan 20, 2019
Yambee:

I could remember how OBJ tried to rig 2007 Edo election that Oshimole won. They did everything but Edo people resisted. OBJ flew into Benin City in the midnight and forced the returning officer to declare Osubor of PDP the winner.

3 Likes

Re: Some Of Obansanjo's Achievement As President by shachris02: 5:43pm On Jan 20, 2019
helinues:

Obasanjo is now an hero just because he is supporting Atiku's candidacy

Chei

OBJ has always been a hero.
Re: Some Of Obansanjo's Achievement As President by shachris02: 5:44pm On Jan 20, 2019
Yambee:

Please can you point to specifics? This is not a discussion for kids with beer parlour propaganda.
Re: Some Of Obansanjo's Achievement As President by abujacomputertu: 5:45pm On Jan 20, 2019
Baba tried his best.
Re: Some Of Obansanjo's Achievement As President by WhoRUDeceiving: 5:47pm On Jan 20, 2019
[s]
abujacomputertu:
Baba tried his best.
[/s]

He is a WAR CRIMINAL
Re: Some Of Obansanjo's Achievement As President by Yambee: 5:48pm On Jan 20, 2019
shachris02:

Please can you point to specifics? This is not a discussion for kids with beer parlour propaganda.

Fortunately I don't patronize beer joint, neither do I drink. You dug Obasanjo's history out, and I am surprised you missed the points I raised.

Stop being selective. OBJ is 70% why Nigeria is where it is today.

He is more corrupt than even Atiku.

3 Likes

Re: Some Of Obansanjo's Achievement As President by obembet(f): 5:48pm On Jan 20, 2019
shachris02:

Obj is far better than GEJ and Terrorist buhari

1 Like

Re: Some Of Obansanjo's Achievement As President by Pekele007: 5:56pm On Jan 20, 2019
Yambee:

Fortunately I don't patronize beer joint, neither do I drink. You dug Obasanjo's history out, and I am surprised you missed the points I raised.

Shut up, but you hailed him when he supported Buhari in 2015

What sort of hypocrisy is this?
Re: Some Of Obansanjo's Achievement As President by shachris02: 5:59pm On Jan 20, 2019
Yambee:

Again I ask, can you point to specific instead of making general unfounded statements.

All what I listed in my OP are verifiable.
Re: Some Of Obansanjo's Achievement As President by Oladele652(m): 6:04pm On Jan 20, 2019
He also introduced SELECTION instead of ELECTION

1 Like

Re: Some Of Obansanjo's Achievement As President by helinues: 6:05pm On Jan 20, 2019
shachris02:

OBJ has always been a hero.

1 Like

Re: Some Of Obansanjo's Achievement As President by Guestlander: 6:06pm On Jan 20, 2019
Preventing Atiku from going near the treasury by frustrating his presidential ambition.

1 Like

Re: Some Of Obansanjo's Achievement As President by Toosure70: 6:08pm On Jan 20, 2019
Yambee:

dont be silly man. do you know ATM just entered Liberia last 4 years and it was invented in 1989.

2 Likes

Re: Some Of Obansanjo's Achievement As President by shachris02: 6:09pm On Jan 20, 2019
[quote author=helinues post=74949512][/quote]

Obj is one of Nigeria's greatest presidents, if not the best.
Re: Some Of Obansanjo's Achievement As President by helinues: 6:11pm On Jan 20, 2019
shachris02:

Obj is one of Nigeria's greatest presidents, if not the best.

Stop saying what you don't know. Abi no be same ebora owu for opposite Afrograms? Tah

1 Like

Re: Some Of Obansanjo's Achievement As President by Afamed: 6:12pm On Jan 20, 2019
helinues:

Stop saying what you don't know. Abi no be same ebora owu for opposite Afrograms? Tah
Ignore him.
Re: Some Of Obansanjo's Achievement As President by shachris02: 6:16pm On Jan 20, 2019
helinues:

DOn't quote me, quote Tinubu.

Here's what he had to say about OBJ in 2015

A former Lagos State Governor, Bola Tinubu, on Thursday admitted former President, Olusegun Obasanjo, re-shaped his life positively.

Mr. Tinubu, who is a national leader of the All Progressives Congress, stated this at Mr. Obasanjo’s 78th birthday lecture held at the Olusegun Obasanjo Presidential Library in Abeokuta, Ogun State.

Mr. Obasanjo caught Mr. Tinubu unawares at the occasion, when he called on the former governor to address the guests.

“You trapped me innocently with a great wisdom of a 78-year-old,” Mr. Tinubu said. “I’m honoured to be here and many of you will see this as a rare occasion but this is an opportunity to pay tribute to a nationalist, a teacher, a disciplinarian and a tutor in dignity and boldness.

‪Mr. Tinubu, however, acknowledged past altercations between both leaders while they were in power.

“Yes, it is true, there are no permanent friends or permanent enemies in politics,” he said. “What is common is common interest. Once upon a time, some nine years ago, I went to the (Aso Rock) Villa, the President, Olusegun Obasanjo, asked me to walk out and was just abusing me in the papers and I said, “Baba, you are a tenant here. This house belongs to Nigeria. If I get to Ota, you can send me out. I brought file about Nigeria.”
And he said, “That is true, sit down.”

‪He said despite their less-than friendly past, Mr. Obasanjo was still worthy of celebration.

“If I could tell you several events that occurred between the two of us in the interest of the nation, I would write an epistle but today is not for that,” Mr. Tinubu said. “But how do you celebrate truly and honour a man who has kept you on your toes? Between Baba Olusegun Obasanjo and myself, what I can say is gratitude from me because you kept me on my toes.

“Each time we disagree on things of principle, I took him to court. One time, as the President, he saw me and said, “You took me to court. We can’t be friends after the court.” And I told him, “I didn’t take you to court, I took the Nigeria President to court.” And he said, “Get out of my way” and I told him, I wouldn’t get out of the way until I get what I want.”

Mr. Tinubu also disclosed a recent attempt at an alliance with Mr. Obasanjo, who was formerly of the Peoples Democratic Party but now an elder statesman without any party affiliation.

“…When we started this present regime of merger and alliances and we visited him, we told him we wanted him to be a navigator,” Mr. Tinubu narrated. “He said, “Navigator? I am still in my party. I will try to avoid partisanship because of Nigeria. If you people put up a good team for the sake of this country, I will give you wisdom.”

“And if you look at what has been happening since then, Obasanjo is an open book, you read a line, you pick a paragraph, you learn, you comply. If you drink from that fountain of wisdom, you will see value in it. He is very committed to the Nigerian nation.

“As we were talking few minutes ago, I said Nigeria is the giant of Africa and he said, “I hope you will remove the k-leg.” I said, “The elephantiasis would be killed.” He said by what and I said by the APC.”

Mr. Tinubu praised Mr. Obasanjo for quitting the PDP by publicly tearing up his membership card.

“It wasn’t about anything else, it was about the love of our country, patriotism, putting the country first before self,” he said. “There’s nothing Obasanjo would have wanted in terms of material wealth, oil well, oil lifting – whatever from (President Goodluck Jonathan) that he wouldn’t have gotten or what from PDP that he wouldn’t have gotten as a retention service.
“He put all of that aside, believed in the unity, cohesion, and progress of this country in order to free himself from that bondage of commitment to partisan politics that is probably drifting in the middle of the storm of a political change. He would rather be afloat and chart a new course.”

Speaking at the event, Mr. Obasanjo warned against toying with loyalty to the country in the interest of its developmental growth.

“Loyalty and relationship must be guided and controlled by what is true, what is right and what is in the best interest of the majority,” he said.

He said loyalty to Nigeria should not be undermined by anything except the truth.

He noted that the two of the event’s speakers in their presentations did not suggest magic as solutions to Nigeria’s problems. He said there was nothing they told the gathering that was impossible.

“But all they have said boils down to one thing – leadership, and until we get it right, anytime we do not get it right, we cannot get any other thing right; don’t let us deceive ourselves,” Mr. Obasanjo said. “Whether it is security, science and technology or innovation or the development of the economy or education, they all boil down to leadership and at all levels. May God give us the leadership that occasions like this deserve in Nigeria.”

Mr. Obasanjo expressed optimism that Nigeria would get it right. He said the citizens have no choice than to do well.

“I am an incurable optimist about this country, and maybe because I have seen, in my short span of life, a little bit of what is possible and a little bit of what can go wrong and what can be made to go wrong, then, maybe that is why I am an incurable optimist and I believe that all will be well in this country,” he said. “We have no choice anyway; all has to be well.”

‪He said there was no reason why any Nigerian child, at this point in time, should not have basic education and good food and the youth, employment.

“And if all those things that all these young ones are expecting are not there, in 15 years time, they would be good recruits for Boko Haram or its equivalent,” Mr. Obasanjo said.

https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/headlines/178006-how-obasanjo-dealt-with-me-reshaped-my-life-tinubu.html

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Some Of Obansanjo's Achievement As President by Afamed: 6:17pm On Jan 20, 2019
Non payment of Nigeria Airways staff pensions and using the National Treasury to build ( The bell University) Obasanjo private University are part and parcel of his achievements

2 Likes

Re: Some Of Obansanjo's Achievement As President by helinues: 6:23pm On Jan 20, 2019
shachris02:

DOn't quote me, quote Tinubu.

Here's what he had to say about OBJ in 2015

So Tinubu Jagaban is now your source?

Who winch you people?

1 Like

Re: Some Of Obansanjo's Achievement As President by shachris02: 6:24pm On Jan 20, 2019
helinues:

So Tinubu is now your source?

Who winch you people?

I know Tinubu is your oracle and probably does all the thinking for your region. Read up what he said about the great OBJ that taught him lesson and made him turn from his criminal ways.
Re: Some Of Obansanjo's Achievement As President by greatiyk4u(m): 6:25pm On Jan 20, 2019
He killed every living things in
Odi and
Zaki Biam

You forgot those onea

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Some Of Obansanjo's Achievement As President by helinues: 6:26pm On Jan 20, 2019
shachris02:

I know Tinubu is your oracle and probably does all the thinking for your region. Read up what he said about the great OBJ that taught him lesson and made him turn from his criminal ways.

@ bolded whose oracle?

If you are being paid for doing this , I have no problem but if it is for free, hmmmm, Buhari could join Pdp tomorrow.
Re: Some Of Obansanjo's Achievement As President by ahiboilandgas: 6:48pm On Jan 20, 2019
shachris02:

list his failures too...collapse of nitel,Nigeria airway ,political murder,16 bn dollar electricity
Re: Some Of Obansanjo's Achievement As President by verifiablefacts: 7:59pm On Jan 20, 2019
shachris02:

the man mentioned $16m and you asking for specific?
Re: Some Of Obansanjo's Achievement As President by shachris02: 8:15pm On Jan 20, 2019
verifiablefacts:

the man mentioned $16m and you asking for specific?

$16 million where? how ? when ? on what ?

any idiot can throw up figures.
Re: Some Of Obansanjo's Achievement As President by Yambee: 8:22pm On Jan 20, 2019
shachris02:

$16 million where? how ? when ? on what ?

any idiot can throw up figures.

And any senseless idiot can put up a write up like yours.

1 Like

Re: Some Of Obansanjo's Achievement As President by shachris02: 8:29pm On Jan 20, 2019
Yambee:

And any senseless idiot can put up a write up like yours.

And any zombie can masturbate on a thread that's above his cranial capacity.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Obi Cubana Pulling Weight, See What He Was Caught Doing At Nigeria Army Resource / Between Wike And Rotimi Amaechi Who Would Make A Better President / Lagos Fire Truck Of Corruption And Anambra Fire Truck Of Non Corruption (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.