Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,643 members, 7,813,156 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 07:57 AM

A Review Of Pixel 2 XL. ( All Hail D King! All Hail D King!!) - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / A Review Of Pixel 2 XL. ( All Hail D King! All Hail D King!!) (3865 Views)

All Hail Onitsha And Aba! (pics) / Google Pixel 2 XL Price In Nigeria On Jumia (specs) / Google Pixel 2 And Pixel 2 XL: Photos, Specs, Prices And More (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Review Of Pixel 2 XL. ( All Hail D King! All Hail D King!!) by RealTrump: 7:19am On Jan 22, 2019
Well, I have been using an LG for slightly over 4 years. First I used the LG g4 from 2014 but in 2016, the phone went into bootloop. It will never come on again and its life was over. That phone was for 72k at computer village ikeja. I particularly liked the leather cover, but for the bootloop; a fantastic phone.

In November 2016, I ordered an LG G5 for around 270usd (used). The camera on that thing was fantastic. In fact, it had a better camera than LGv10, LG G6 n LG v20 even tho all three phones were released after it. 25 months into using the G5, wear n tear had set in n it was threatening to go into bootloop again. A couple of months before then, I was already scouting for a replacement.

The question is, how do you replace such a fantastic phone? The G5 even floored a Galaxy note 9 in a test I did. The note 9 is just plain terrible at handling rapidly changing lights at night.

Finding a phone that clearly beats the G5 was a hard task. This was because I didn't want to use another LG because apparently, only an LG can beat another LG or so I thought!

But in comes the pixel 1 that came out in 2016. However, from experience, I didn't want to buy the very first phone that a company manufactures. There will always be errors and reviewers we're hailing it but there were some issues pointed out.

So, the next guy was the pixel 2. Hailed as the "perfect phone." It will smoke any iPhone both all the models they currently have n the ones they will make in the next two years.

However, choosing between a pixel 2 n pixel 2XL was a tough choice. Both versions are exactly same but the pixel 2 XL has a bigger screen. However, earlier versions of the pixel 2XL has a screen issue but Google fixed it considerably with software updates. Also, I couldn't spend 800USd on pixel 3, their elder uncle. As at January 2019, d Pixel 2 was retailing for 330USD brand new while the XL was going for 400usd. Since the smaller version was never plagued by "screen issues", I decided to play it safe n ordered it. My LG G5 was a fantastic but every now n then, I felt it might develop an issue overnight. So, I wanted a truly flawless phone.

Phone was delivered in 3 days but I soon realized my hands were rather too big for it. Everything just felt too small! But God! I have never seen such speed. The phone was on steroids with Android 9.

I had to return it for an Euro version of pixel 2XL 64gig with Android 8.1. this phone was made long after the initial batch with screen issues. The screen problem was not a big deal now though.

Camera (this is what really separates phones)
For the first time I finally met a phone which beat the LG G5. You can summon the camera by double tapping the power button n it will show up in milliseconds. The LG was laggy but never again will I deal with it. The camera is also true to nature, it doesn't fake the color like a whole lot of phones out there including G5.

Screen

Well, I am now watching a lot more YouTube thanks to the screen. You can fill in the blanks.

Speaker n Browsing speed

aha. Loud. Rich n perfect. This thing uses HTC's spekers. HTC by a long stretch makes the best speakers for Android phones.

Considerably mush faster LTE speeds.

Verdict
I am not necessarily 100 percent happy with it. I got used to my G5. My G5 needs me to charge it 3 times per day, this one doesn't. I have to steady my hands to take photos on G5, this one, u can just walk n shoot, u can't make a mistake.

My G5 depends on me a lot. But this pixel 2 XL, dude doesn't need me at all.

It's more like when u have a little puppy that used to depend on you for food, cuddle, poo n all. But suddenly the pup gets big and no longer need u as such. Sometimes, u feel betrayed.

Night Sight (the all seeing eyes)
I modded this camera to the phone since I wasn't sure of switching to Android 9. Otherwise I would have gotten it straight out of the box.

Switch off all the lights in a room in total darkness. This feature will still allow you see every a lot of details. It will take the picture n stick it all up n what you see is only what a high end military drone can capture at night. Google is indeed, the kind of software!

Re: A Review Of Pixel 2 XL. ( All Hail D King! All Hail D King!!) by RealTrump: 7:20am On Jan 22, 2019
Keeping this space for pictures

Picture 1. Without flash
Picture 2. Without flash but with Google Night Sight.

1 Like

Re: A Review Of Pixel 2 XL. ( All Hail D King! All Hail D King!!) by RealTrump: 7:20am On Jan 22, 2019
Perhaps more pictures

Picture 1. Outdoor
Picture 2. Camera, no flash, tiny light.
Picture 3. Camera, no flash with Google night shift.
Picture 4. Indoor shot

Re: A Review Of Pixel 2 XL. ( All Hail D King! All Hail D King!!) by Shelumiel: 7:36am On Jan 22, 2019
Are you trying to tell us that the Google pixel is better than a Samsung Note ?
Re: A Review Of Pixel 2 XL. ( All Hail D King! All Hail D King!!) by RealTrump: 7:56am On Jan 22, 2019
Shelumiel:

That note 9 a pathetic at least in camera. It takes great photo in daylight but when the light gets dim, hehe. Even my LG G5 which came out 2 years prior is flooring it in camera department.

But it has a better speed n battery life because it has a better processor n bigger battery.

It also has a better premium feel but that's it.
Re: A Review Of Pixel 2 XL. ( All Hail D King! All Hail D King!!) by Benscolari: 7:56am On Jan 22, 2019
Shelumiel:
camera? Yes. Speed? Yes.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Review Of Pixel 2 XL. ( All Hail D King! All Hail D King!!) by Shelumiel: 8:00am On Jan 22, 2019
RealTrump:

That note 9 a pathetic at least in camera. It takes great photo in daylight but when the light gets dim, hehe. Even my LG G5 which came out 2 years prior is flooring it in camera department.

But it has a better speed n battery life because it has a better processor n bigger battery.

So in summary , you feel the camera is the only thing whack on a note 9, correct ?
Re: A Review Of Pixel 2 XL. ( All Hail D King! All Hail D King!!) by RealTrump: 8:26am On Jan 22, 2019
Shelumiel:
So in summary , you feel the camera is the only thing whack on a note 9, correct ?

Well, in this age, all smart phones can do the same thing. Play the same game n all. Most smart phones will take great pictures in sunlight. But what happens when the light gets dim? What happens when you are walking n shooting? That's where the difference begin to show.

Personally, the number one selling point for phones is the camera. If the battery is bad, u can get a power bank. If the phone is slow, u can wait a few seconds. But if the camera can compete, then, there isn't much u can do.

Perhaps, I am biased because I now use a pixel. But enter YouTube n see for yourself.

1 Like

Re: A Review Of Pixel 2 XL. ( All Hail D King! All Hail D King!!) by Shelumiel: 9:16am On Jan 22, 2019
RealTrump:

Well, in this age, all smart phones can do the same thing. Play the same game n all. Most smart phones will take great pictures in sunlight. But what happens when the light gets dim? What happens when you are walking n shooting? That's where the difference begin to show.

Personally, the number one selling point for phones is the camera. If the battery is bad, u can get a power bank. If the phone is slow, u can wait a few seconds. But if the camera can compete, then, there isn't much u can do.

Perhaps, I am biased because I now use a pixel. But enter YouTube n see for yourself.
Last question : how much can one get a Google pixel 2xl?
Re: A Review Of Pixel 2 XL. ( All Hail D King! All Hail D King!!) by Nobody: 11:47am On Jan 22, 2019
seems you got a fake pixel device. How can you still be running Android 8.1. That pixel is fake. Also that night sight works but not really as what I see on videos. Where there is no light at all you barely see anything
Re: A Review Of Pixel 2 XL. ( All Hail D King! All Hail D King!!) by 3KINGZ18: 12:10pm On Jan 22, 2019
Is it worth it getting a g5 in 2019
Re: A Review Of Pixel 2 XL. ( All Hail D King! All Hail D King!!) by NuclearReactor: 12:38pm On Jan 22, 2019
Benscolari:
camera? Yes. Speed? Yes.
Camera? Yes Speed? Nooooo!!!
Re: A Review Of Pixel 2 XL. ( All Hail D King! All Hail D King!!) by spoilerx: 1:22pm On Jan 22, 2019
CHESTER48:
seems you got a fake pixel device. How can you still be running Android 8.1. That pixel is fake. Also that night sight works but not really as what I see on videos. Where there is no light at all you barely see anything
oga cool down na.

The guy obviously is yet to update it

1 Like

Re: A Review Of Pixel 2 XL. ( All Hail D King! All Hail D King!!) by seunfly: 1:38pm On Jan 22, 2019
NuclearReactor:

Camera? Yes Speed? Nooooo!!!

Speed department might be yes because pixel is running basic andriod not the one full of bloatware by Samsung and other phone users.

1 Like

Re: A Review Of Pixel 2 XL. ( All Hail D King! All Hail D King!!) by festus101: 2:12pm On Jan 22, 2019
cheesy
hmmm
cheesy cheesy
Re: A Review Of Pixel 2 XL. ( All Hail D King! All Hail D King!!) by frugal(m): 3:38pm On Jan 22, 2019
Add the gcam apk on any decent phone and you'll have the same picture quality as the pixel.

1 Like

Re: A Review Of Pixel 2 XL. ( All Hail D King! All Hail D King!!) by MeshachMARTINS(m): 6:54am On Jan 23, 2019
pls uncle comma dash me the g5
Re: A Review Of Pixel 2 XL. ( All Hail D King! All Hail D King!!) by MeshachMARTINS(m): 7:06am On Jan 23, 2019
sir pls try install gcam(by cstark(no need for root,just install like normal app) on d g5 nd compare it to d pixel,as for the battery, users from xda nd gsmarena said that after like a year or 2 ,d g5 original battery starts dieing quick ,so the solution is to buy a trusted 3rd party battery from ae or amazon(sot up to 7hrs) , nd also,u can use watch ricky the android guy youtube video to know how to save battery well on d g5 wink
Re: A Review Of Pixel 2 XL. ( All Hail D King! All Hail D King!!) by MeshachMARTINS(m): 7:52am On Jan 23, 2019
ehn ehn,how is d wide angle camera on d g5?

did u use d note 9 nd g5 together?

how did u know that g5 cam is better than d g6 nd v20?

how is d g5 speaker and audio jack quality compared to pixel2?i know d pixel has dual front facing speakers tho

did ur g5 get d oreo update?

sorry for d questions ooo grin u wont understand
Re: A Review Of Pixel 2 XL. ( All Hail D King! All Hail D King!!) by Baroba(m): 8:31am On Jan 23, 2019
Nice review, people knock stock android for its bare bones features; Nothing beats the speed and fluidity of a phone optimized by Google..

Can't wait to get a pixel, my last Google phone was a Nexus 5 back in 2013. One of the best performing phone I have ever used.. It's only downfall back then was battery and poor camera, Google seem to have fixed those problems with the pixel series..
Re: A Review Of Pixel 2 XL. ( All Hail D King! All Hail D King!!) by Ecstasy9(m): 2:13pm On Jan 23, 2019
How much is the phone and where can I order it?
Re: A Review Of Pixel 2 XL. ( All Hail D King! All Hail D King!!) by Jayboltz(m): 2:22pm On Jan 23, 2019
MeshachMARTINS:
sir pls try install gcam(by cstark(no need for root,just install like normal app) on d g5 nd compare it to d pixel,as for the battery, users from xda nd gsmarena said that after like a year or 2 ,d g5 original battery starts dieing quick ,so the solution is to buy a trusted 3rd party battery from ae or amazon(sot up to 7hrs) , nd also,u can use watch ricky the android guy youtube video to know how to save battery well on d g5 wink
pls can this gcam app work on redmi note 5
Re: A Review Of Pixel 2 XL. ( All Hail D King! All Hail D King!!) by MeshachMARTINS(m): 2:30pm On Jan 23, 2019
Jayboltz:

pls can this gcam app work on redmi note 5
no ,all phones have their own gcam mod
goto xiaomi tweak thread

cc gptech
cc grandmufti

1 Like

Re: A Review Of Pixel 2 XL. ( All Hail D King! All Hail D King!!) by Nobody: 11:46pm On Jan 23, 2019
MeshachMARTINS:
what you guys don't know is that it doesn't work..it requires atleast android 8.1 and besides cstark camera is old.i use camera p3 on my pixel and it doesn't work with every phone..
Re: A Review Of Pixel 2 XL. ( All Hail D King! All Hail D King!!) by MeshachMARTINS(m): 8:48am On Jan 24, 2019
CHESTER48:
what you guys don't know is that it doesn't work..it requires atleast android 8.1 and besides cstark camera is old.i use camera p3 on my pixel and it doesn't work with every phone..
xda people tested cstark on nougat,but its only portrait mode da s crashing on some model h850,korea or verizon
Re: A Review Of Pixel 2 XL. ( All Hail D King! All Hail D King!!) by Dam5reey(m): 9:13am On Jan 24, 2019
RealTrump:

Where did you ordered from... And why can't it update to Pie ? Even pixel 1 is on pie
Re: A Review Of Pixel 2 XL. ( All Hail D King! All Hail D King!!) by RealTrump: 2:58pm On Jan 24, 2019
CHESTER48:

True, it doesn't work with all phones or all Android OS. Even cstark didn't work for mine until I installed camera p3.
Re: A Review Of Pixel 2 XL. ( All Hail D King! All Hail D King!!) by RealTrump: 3:05pm On Jan 24, 2019
Dam5reey:

Where did you ordered from... And why can't it update to Pie ? Even pixel 1 is on pie

I bought it on my last travel. There is an update to Android 9 but I don't want it now. Android 9 is Google's first crack at AI, it is usually better to wait for them to overcome their teething problems before installing it. I used 9.0 in the first pixel I ordered, that OS is something else, n it is much faster than 8.1. it can almost read your mind as it can predict your next action. But I will wait for them to fine-tune their AI thingy n install Android Q when it comes out later this year.
Re: A Review Of Pixel 2 XL. ( All Hail D King! All Hail D King!!) by Nobody: 3:39pm On Jan 24, 2019
RealTrump:

True, it doesn't work with all phones or all Android OS. Even cstark didn't work for mine until I installed camera p3.
is everything working on camera p3? Also which phone do you have
Re: A Review Of Pixel 2 XL. ( All Hail D King! All Hail D King!!) by RealTrump: 3:40pm On Jan 24, 2019
MeshachMARTINS:
ehn ehn,how is d wide angle camera on d g5?

did u use d note 9 nd g5 together?

how did u know that g5 cam is better than d g6 nd v20?

how is d g5 speaker and audio jack quality compared to pixel2?i know d pixel has dual front facing speakers tho

did ur g5 get d oreo update?

sorry for d questions ooo grin u wont understand

1. The wide angle camera can capture a lot more people inside a photo. It is 8mp while the main camera is 16mp. However, images on wide angle camera are slightly bent at the sides. Not a big deal.

2. Yes n No. A friend bought the Note 9 for slightly over 1k USD. 3 days after buying it, she left the phone with me but I called after 1 day to come n carry her phone. So yes, note 9 is flawless n equally fast until you get to take a selfie under not very bright light then the LG G5 will take it to the cleaners.

3. Lg G6 has a 5mp selfie, n two 13 mp back camera. G5 has an 8mp selfie. So spec wise, the g5 is better cos the G6 actually looks like a camera downgrade. I have seen it too. My guy has a V20, so I can compare that one n know that the G5 still snaps better picture than its elder siblings.

4. The lg g5 is not bad on the audio department, the pixel 2 is just a cheat. It Beats it hands-down but the pixel has dual speakers. The pixel 2 doesn't have an earphone jack but it comes with a USB c to 3.5mm converter and it can swim.

5. The biggest advantage the pixel has is what can be termed "home advantage" on software department. For example, if I update my pixel n it has an issue, I can easily downgrade back to Android 8. Or, I can simply wait till the next month, Google would most likely have found a solution n provide the result in the form of a monthly update. They release monthly software updates for pixels. But if it happens that I have issues after upgrading a Samsung or LG, it's not a straight forward solution.

Lastly, androids will soon become as difficult to hack just like an Apple. Pixel phones no longer need an antivirus.
Re: A Review Of Pixel 2 XL. ( All Hail D King! All Hail D King!!) by RealTrump: 4:04pm On Jan 24, 2019
CHESTER48:
is everything working on camera p3? Also which phone do you have

It's pixel 2xl

The p3 camera is working fine with the bells n whistlles. Also, it launches separately from the main camera but they are same only that p3 has more features. Pixel 2 phones with Android 9 comes with a factory fitted p3 camera

Re: A Review Of Pixel 2 XL. ( All Hail D King! All Hail D King!!) by MeshachMARTINS(m): 9:49pm On Jan 24, 2019
RealTrump:

sir ,thanks for replying,really appreciate....but the way ya enjoying your pixel, its like d g5 will nt be useful to u again, shey u will nor do giveaway? grin am d first to ask oooo

(1) (2) (Reply)

Fraud Or Not? bold5 For ₦16000, And Other Phones With Hilarious Prices / H TC Android Solutions: Unbrick, Root, Unroot, Upgrade And Troubleshoots / Earn 100k Monthly With Your Android Device And At Your Convenience.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.