Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,901 members, 7,814,050 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 03:51 AM

Kola Nut Ritual In Igboland - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Kola Nut Ritual In Igboland (15399 Views)

Restriction Of Movement In Ikorodu Tomorrow Due To Ritual Rites (eluku & Oro). / Daybreak In Udi: An Exposé Of British Colonization Schemes In Igboland / The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Kola Nut Ritual In Igboland by AndreUweh(m): 6:58pm On Oct 06, 2010
*Hauwa*:

cuz, i'm a liberated soul
grin grin

What do you mean?.
Re: Kola Nut Ritual In Igboland by Hauwa1: 10:30pm On Oct 06, 2010
I and I moved to Babylon

Andre Uweh:

What do you mean?.

now back to oji sttuff cheesy
Re: Kola Nut Ritual In Igboland by AndreUweh(m): 3:32pm On Oct 15, 2010
For those in London and South East England, Iri Ji festival 2010 of Igbo Youths U.K will afford you with the opportunity of experiencing kola nut rituals of Igbo people.
Date: 16/10/2010. Time 6:30-1:00 am.
In the distribution of Kola nut, The Ohanaeze pattern is followed e.g: Abia, Anambra, Delta, Ebonyi, Enugu, Imo and Rivers states.
For more information, visit: www.icsn.co.uk.
Re: Kola Nut Ritual In Igboland by rubi(f): 9:22pm On Oct 15, 2010
What is the difference b/w oji igbo and oji gworo?
Re: Kola Nut Ritual In Igboland by AndreUweh(m): 9:58pm On Oct 15, 2010
rubi:

What is the difference b/w oji igbo and oji gworo?
Gworo is more reddish in clolour or oxblood some are white in colour.
Oji Igbo is creamy and some are not that reddish in colour.
Oji Igbo is used for rituals, for marriages, title takings, offering or prayers at traditional ceremonies, to welcome visitors and to introduce very important discussions and requests.
Oji Igbo has many lobes.
Oji Igbo is more expensive e.g if a basket of gworo is N2,000, that of oji igbo is N2,800.
Re: Kola Nut Ritual In Igboland by Hauwa1: 7:18pm On Oct 18, 2010
you mean different specie/breed?
i thot they all same just that the creamy ones you refering too are newly harvested??
gworo more drier?

oji bu oji
Re: Kola Nut Ritual In Igboland by AndreUweh(m): 7:30pm On Oct 18, 2010
*Hauwa*:

you mean different specie/breed?
i thot they all same just that the creamy ones you refering too are newly harvested??
gworo more drier?

oji bu oji
But have you wondered why one is more expensive than the other?.
Also why is Oji IGBO very scarce?.

In Igbo culture, gworo is only served in the absence of Oji Igbo.
Re: Kola Nut Ritual In Igboland by AndreUweh(m): 10:39pm On Oct 18, 2010
Ji Ahuru Ahu (roasted yam) in display at Iri Ji Igbo Youths UK 2010, London.

Re: Kola Nut Ritual In Igboland by Nobody: 1:55pm On Oct 19, 2010
Andre Uweh:

For those in London and South East England, Iri Ji festival 2010 of Igbo Youths U.K will afford you with the opportunity of experiencing kola nut rituals of Igbo people.
Date: 16/10/2010. Time 6:30-1:00 am.
In the distribution of Kola nut, The Ohanaeze pattern is followed e.g: Abia, Anambra, Delta, Ebonyi, Enugu, Imo and Rivers states.
For more information, visit: www.icsn.co.uk.
Cor blimey.
I was at this gathering.

It was fun . . .
and the ladies were off the hinges.

Are you the same Andrew/Andy who was bidding for the return ticket to Nigeria??
Re: Kola Nut Ritual In Igboland by ifyalways(f): 2:19pm On Oct 19, 2010
Omo ibo came too? shocked shocked shocked
Oh wish i stayed longer,looked more closely,i wud have picked u out.
Re: Kola Nut Ritual In Igboland by Nobody: 2:41pm On Oct 19, 2010
uh nooooo
Ify was there as well? LMAO

I didn't even know it was happenening till much later that day.
Re: Kola Nut Ritual In Igboland by AndreUweh(m): 6:42pm On Oct 19, 2010
@IFYALWAYS AND OMO IGBO: Thanks a lot for attending the Iri Ji festival.
Arik airlines were our chief sponsors.
But as we plan for 2011, what do you suggest we should do that we did not do last sunday?.
Re: Kola Nut Ritual In Igboland by AndreUweh(m): 9:44pm On Oct 26, 2010
oji igbo

Re: Kola Nut Ritual In Igboland by Nobody: 11:54am On Oct 27, 2010
[flash=400,400]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uilDtwJT4Ww?fs=1&hl=en_GB"[/flash]

I finally uploaded some of the videos.

Meanwhile, Andre, did you guys hand pick the ladies that served on the day??
Re: Kola Nut Ritual In Igboland by AndreUweh(m): 7:51pm On Oct 27, 2010
@OMO IGBO: Thanks for that wonderful video of yours. Thanks again for promoting Igbo culture in The U.K. One third of the girls who served were volunteers, some were members of ICSN while some were exec members. I have received a complaint about the conduct of one of the girls. We will investigate the matter. Meanwhile, I apologise on behalf of the body for any wrong doing from those girls. Godbless.
Re: Kola Nut Ritual In Igboland by Nobody: 9:19am On Oct 28, 2010
Oh no, i have no complaints about any of the girls.
Infact, mine is the direct opposite. Well, the ones i came in contact with were gracious to me.

Having said that, I think some of the umu oma's deserve to know me. . . . grin cheesy smiley
Re: Kola Nut Ritual In Igboland by AndreUweh(m): 9:51am On Oct 28, 2010
Iri Ji and other Igbo events affords people to meet future husbands and wives, different careers, different Igbo communities etc.
Re: Kola Nut Ritual In Igboland by Nobody: 10:14am On Oct 28, 2010
Andre Uweh:

Iri Ji and other Igbo events affords people to meet future husbands and wives, different careers, different Igbo communities etc.
Gba brake biko,
O ru be gi ka hu but thanks for the heads up.

Meanwhile, i'd like to become a member of this organisation. My dad has been on my neck for a while.
Re: Kola Nut Ritual In Igboland by ifyalways(f): 11:26am On Oct 28, 2010
OMO IBO:

Having said that, I think some of the umu oma's deserve to know me. . . . grin cheesy smiley

this cheesy
OMO IBO:

Gba brake biko,

and then angry
Maka gini ka o ga eji gba brake? I ru be gi ilu nwanyi?Btwn,i na ede Ohuhu well.
Andre Uweh:

True.
Re: Kola Nut Ritual In Igboland by Nobody: 11:44am On Oct 28, 2010
LOL
Chai, Ify, gini ka m' mekweregi ugbua??
E hukwara umu nwanyi biara mmeme ahu??
ALA ABIA LEEEEE!!!

Meanwhile, uka ilu nwanyi n' agwum ike ka ma, echefule e tuwaram aka ya di onye enwere. . . LOL
Re: Kola Nut Ritual In Igboland by AndreUweh(m): 8:58pm On Oct 28, 2010
OMO IBO:

Gba brake biko,

Meanwhile, i'd like to become a member of this organisation. My dad has been on my neck for a while.
Omo Igbo, with all pleasure, you are welcomed to join Igbo Cultural Support Network (ICSN). You can join for free via our website: www.icsn.co.uk. This body is an association of young Igbo people in The U.K. The aim is to promote Igbo culture in the U.K. Also, to ensure that there is networking between members as well as improved welfare packages for members. Lots and lots.
The body meets every second sunday of each month. An example of our programmes are like this:
6:00pm--Opening prayers.
6:10PM--Igbo lesson and network break.
7:00pm--Cultural presentation. The November topic will be 'the life and times of Chukwuma Kaduna Nzeogwu'. This will be presented by the junior brother of the late hero. Arrangement is in progress.
8:00pm--Guest speakers.
9:00pm--the great debate.
9:30PM. Presentations or entertainments. Here young Igbo are giving the opportunity to showcase their talents. e.g poetry, novel, singing, dancing, Crack your rib etc.
9;45pm--Birthdays and announcemets.
10:00pm: Presidents remarks and closing prayers.
I look forward to seing you.
Onye nwe anyi nonyere gi.
Re: Kola Nut Ritual In Igboland by AndreUweh(m): 7:02pm On Dec 05, 2010
In Igbo ceremonies, breaking of kola nut is followed up with the distribution of kola nut. In doing so, it is done in alphabetical order of Igbo states e.g Anambra, Abia, Delta etc. But recently, I have noticed a trend where a title holder from Nri or any Nri native is called upon to come and pick up a lobe of kola nut before others.
Re: Kola Nut Ritual In Igboland by ezeagu(m): 7:35pm On Dec 05, 2010
Andre Uweh:

In Igbo ceremonies, breaking of kola nut is followed up with the distribution of kola nut. In doing so, it is done in alphabetical order of Igbo states e.g Anambra, Abia, Delta etc. But recently, I have noticed a trend where a title holder from Nri or any Nri native is called upon to come and pick up a lobe of kola nut before others.

Nri revival? Nice.
Re: Kola Nut Ritual In Igboland by AndreUweh(m): 11:08pm On Dec 09, 2010
I learnt that Aros are the first to pick a lobe of kolanut in Abia state during passing round of kola nut in Abia gatherings. Anyone from Abia to to clarify this issue?.
Re: Kola Nut Ritual In Igboland by AndreUweh(m): 12:25am On Dec 18, 2010
Lovers of Igbo culture travelling to Igboland this christmas period, the main attraction is Iwa Oji Ezinaihitte (MBAISE). It is rich, colourful, informative and attractive. Mbaise will through Oji Ezinaihitte present to the world a significant aspect of Igbo culture.
Safe journey and happy xmas to those attending the festival as well as those travelling home for xmas.
Re: Kola Nut Ritual In Igboland by ifyalways(f): 10:33am On Dec 18, 2010
Andre Uweh:

Lovers of Igbo culture travelling to Igboland this christmas period, the main attraction is Iwa Oji Ezinaihitte (MBAISE). It is rich, colourful, informative and attractive. Mbaise will through Oji Ezinaihitte present to the world a significant aspect of Igbo culture.
Safe journey and happy xmas to those attending the festival as well as those travelling home for xmas.
What is it all abt?Is it like Iwa akwa Mbano undecided
I wud have enough time in my hands this hols so im looking for festivals and places to go. wink
Who wud be in Umuahia for ekpe,anyone?
Re: Kola Nut Ritual In Igboland by ifyalways(f): 10:35am On Dec 18, 2010
Andre Uweh:

I learnt that Aros are the first to pick a lobe of kolanut in Abia state during passing round of kola nut in Abia gatherings. Anyone from Abia to to clarify this issue?.
I think its true.I have witnessed it thrice.
Re: Kola Nut Ritual In Igboland by AndreUweh(m): 12:56pm On Oct 13, 2011
Kolanut is centrally called Oji in Igboland. However, in some parts of Igboland it is called Aji (Port Harcourt) and Ogi in Agbor. Oji is very unique in Igbo culture.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ilaje People(the Only Oil Producing Tribe In Yoruba Land):let Us Meet Here! / No More Witches In Ile-Ife - Ooni Of Ife / Why Some S-southerners Denounce Their Igbo Heritage - Obi Of Asaba

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.