Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,504 members, 7,819,828 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:49 AM

Tears As 40 Persons Roast To Death In Multiple Auto Crash - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Tears As 40 Persons Roast To Death In Multiple Auto Crash (22466 Views)

Tears As Presidency Sealed Saraki’s Fate In 15 Minutes - Eyewitness' Report / Tears As Gov. Wike Visits Ogoni Killings Arena - Photos / Tears As Lagos Demolishes Oshodi Market (PHOTOS) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tears As 40 Persons Roast To Death In Multiple Auto Crash by femolahlah: 5:49pm On Aug 17, 2010
Am very suprise that mba could talked that way, that spot were the accident happened is a ussual place for the police, you'll see about 4-5 check point before geting to MRS filling station station. and all they do is to stop vehincles carrying loads and estort money from them or sieze some of their goods which they feel will be beneficial to them. its a pitty we still find ourself in this situation in this country. May God save us. the blood of the departed souls will cry and nemecies will catch up with all involved.
Re: Tears As 40 Persons Roast To Death In Multiple Auto Crash by spyk007: 6:10pm On Aug 17, 2010
Its was a sad and shocking experience. I think it's high time the government did something about the Nigerian Police Force.
Re: Tears As 40 Persons Roast To Death In Multiple Auto Crash by kobikwelu(m): 7:11pm On Aug 17, 2010
^^^^

a post from a new member on NL,

its sooooo obvious,

lemme ask u, how do u feel seeing your posts live?
Re: Tears As 40 Persons Roast To Death In Multiple Auto Crash by andyanders: 8:07pm On Aug 17, 2010
[b]Nigeria Police is a disgrace, if armed robber has money with them, they will allow them to go. What the Police at check point do, is to wait for newly registered cars and tokubo cars. I am surprised that Frank Mba should make such a comment knowing fully well that these policemen has been there for ages over ten twenty yrs freaking newly registered cars. Is an eyesore seeing what the police do there. I have been stopped there for no just cause,Was asked for all the papers which was presented and they now said, that the person who sold the car must be brought. By then they have given their bill asking for money almost the price of the car.

I respect Frank Mba and still believed that he never made such comment because he is a descent officer. Rather he should establish why these men should be there at such a very bad spot. Look at the number of people lost. He should have first asked the public to hold their peace and that  as a force, that they will look into what actually happened and if his men actually mounted road block, if it was legal or they were there just for egunje as normal which they don't hide any longer. They flaunt their egunje with impunity without any regard whose vehicle is next because they don’t get punished when caught.   
Tell me why with such a long queue, they will be collecting money with people still looking at them. WHY CANT POLICE STOP THIS THEIR ATTITUDE OF LOVE FOR MONEY?
[/b][size=8pt][/size]
Re: Tears As 40 Persons Roast To Death In Multiple Auto Crash by Busybody2(f): 10:43pm On Aug 17, 2010
ziddy:

Did you go to school at all?! There wasn't supposed to be a checkpoint at that spot in the first instance! That period was not rush hour, it was a Sunday, traffic was supposed to be light on that road! The tanker driver would have coasted to a stop or crashed into the median or something, if not for the artificial traffic jam caused by the police toll-point.

Do you feel comfortable parking in the middle of the express just so some greedy policemen can ask you for weekend money, when someone with failed brakes might be bearing down on you at high speed? Brakes can fail at any time, most of these components are substandard or outright fakes, and you won't know it until the last minute! Those policemen willfully created a hazardous situation, that particular checkpoint was an accident waiting to happen considering the volume of articulated truck traffic on that road. Choose one night and drive from Alapere through to Mowe/Ibafo between 8:00 & 12:00 am, come back and tell us your experience, that route is choke full of articulated vehicles, that's their route! That's why the policemen are there, to extort money from those guys!   

Why is the Force PRO denying the presence of the police checkpoint if he knew they were doing the right thing as you claim? Why didn't the police officers wait around and assist with the rescue effort? Why did they run away? They know their hands are covered with the blood of the victims!

Are you minding the doofus, he is probably a Police Officer undecided

In the Western World, if your car breaks down on the motorway, you are advised to leave the vehicle and stay away from the road and the car as far back as you can FROM THESE CRASH BARRIERS, because like you rightly said, those barriers and medians are there to prevent accidents from becoming much worse than necessary, by forcing those vehicles to a stop.

IT IS ONLY IN NIGERIA THAT GREEDY THIEVING BASTARDS OTHERWISE KNOWN AS THE POLICE FORCE, WOULD LINE UP CARS ALONGSIDE SUCH BARRIERS THAT ARE DESIGNED FOR VEHICLES UP TO 40 TONS TO SLAM INTO TO MINIMISE ACCIDENTS SUCH AS FAILING BRAKES, ETC, FROMGETTING WORSE, PLAYING RUSSIAN ROULETTE WITH PEOPLE'S LIVES AND USING THEM AS CHEAP CANNON FODDER undecided I FEAR THAT COUNTRY undecided
Re: Tears As 40 Persons Roast To Death In Multiple Auto Crash by spikedcylinder: 10:51pm On Aug 17, 2010
kobikwelu:

^^^^

a post from a new member on NL,

its sooooo obvious,

lemme ask u, how do u feel seeing your posts live?

Huh? What does that have to do with anything? Is he/she not allowed to post?
Re: Tears As 40 Persons Roast To Death In Multiple Auto Crash by odumchi: 3:22am On Aug 18, 2010
This is the police and gov'ts fault. The police are cowards and dont care for human life.
Once they saw the trailer running i bet they used their ak47s and shot at the tires or even killed the driver causing the truck to swerve.
what kind of police have automatic machine guns? Pistols are whats needed. It can sometimes be said that the Nigerian police are more dangerous than the armed-robbers.It is also the gov'ts fault for importing all of these  cheap cars that are older than the drivers. I bet the thing that killed these people is flying glass and car pieces. Nigeria needs modern cars atleast. These cars should have airbags, tempered-glass and modern engines.
Re: Tears As 40 Persons Roast To Death In Multiple Auto Crash by snthesis(m): 8:38am On Aug 18, 2010
ziddy:

Did you go to school at all?! There wasn't supposed to be a checkpoint at that spot in the first instance! That period was not rush hour, it was a Sunday, traffic was supposed to be light on that road! The tanker driver would have coasted to a stop or crashed into the median or something, if not for the artificial traffic jam caused by the police toll-point.

Do you feel comfortable parking in the middle of the express just so some greedy policemen can ask you for weekend money, when someone with failed brakes might be bearing down on you at high speed? Brakes can fail at any time, most of these components are substandard or outright fakes, and you won't know it until the last minute! Those policemen willfully created a hazardous situation, that particular checkpoint was an accident waiting to happen considering the volume of articulated truck traffic on that road. Choose one night and drive from Alapere through to Mowe/Ibafo between 8:00 & 12:00 am, come back and tell us your experience, that route is choke full of articulated vehicles, that's their route! That's why the policemen are there, to extort money from those guys!  

Why is the Force PRO denying the presence of the police checkpoint if he knew they were doing the right thing as you claim? Why didn't the police officers wait around and assist with the rescue effort? Why did they run away? They know their hands are covered with the blood of the victims!

read the bolded parts of your comment and try to make common sense from what u've written- since when did the police force start manufacturing /maintaining/ inspecting cars? so how can you a normal thinking "educated" punk eva attribute the accident to the police- that is arrant nonsense- and sparks of lack of deductive reasoning. the cause of the accident was brake failure and not the police force, we as nigerians shud stop putting other peoples lives at risk with the increasing number of road unworthy vehicles plying our roads- can u recall  the massive recall of certain specs of Toyota vehicles in the US.  The US govt thru the relevant inspection bodies carried test on this vehicles and found them road unworthy, which lead to the massive recall, thereby protecting the lives of other road users.
think clearly before making execrable comments.

Busy_body:

Are you minding the doofus, he is probably a Police Officer undecided

In the Western World, if your car breaks down on the motorway, you are advised to leave the vehicle and stay away from the road and the car as far back as you can FROM THESE CRASH BARRIERS, because like you rightly said, those barriers and medians are there to prevent accidents from becoming much worse than necessary, by forcing those vehicles to a stop.

IT IS ONLY IN NIGERIA THAT GREEDY THIEVING BASTARDS OTHERWISE KNOWN AS THE POLICE FORCE, WOULD LINE UP CARS ALONGSIDE SUCH BARRIERS THAT ARE DESIGNED FOR VEHICLES UP TO 40 TONS TO SLAM INTO TO MINIMISE ACCIDENTS SUCH AS FAILING BRAKES, ETC, FROMGETTING WORSE, PLAYING RUSSIAN ROULETTE WITH PEOPLE'S LIVES AND USING THEM AS CHEAP CANNON FODDER undecided I FEAR THAT COUNTRY undecided
your female hormones must be raging - making it impossible for your brain to cogitate- grin tongue
have u eva been at a checkpoint? if u have, you wud observe that before approaching one the natural reaction of a sensible driver is to reduce speed- reducing speed saves lives, however i must note sudden reduction in speed is what kills, your argument comment wud have been better buttresed if u talked about the location of the checkpoint.
the police wud be part-culpable of the accident, if the checkpoint was insanely located i.e immediately after a bend; up/down an incline- the effect is that the brakes of a vehicle wud have to work twice as hard in reducing/stopping momentum due to the weight of the vehicle as well the effect of the additional acceleration due to gravity, in either scenarios a  road worthy vehicle is well tested under severe & sometimes unrealistic conditions - i suggest u watch "topgear" it wud entertain as well as educate u a bit more.
Re: Tears As 40 Persons Roast To Death In Multiple Auto Crash by jigamanga: 9:28am On Aug 18, 2010
May Almighty Allah gives the family of those that lost thier lives the fortitude to stand the lost. it's very big lost to many family, who knows the number of family winners that lost thier lives through such unfortunate Accident. But still the Federal govt. have to do something about the Nigeria police, they should stop killing people because of N20, they are demand from drivers and also 90% of trailer's driver are mad people. they abused drug before driving. God will help us.
Re: Tears As 40 Persons Roast To Death In Multiple Auto Crash by Nobody: 9:54am On Aug 18, 2010
snthesis:

read the bolded parts of your comment and try to make common sense from what u've written- since when did the police force start manufacturing /maintaining/ inspecting cars? so how can you a normal thinking "educated" punk eva attribute the accident to the police- that is arrant nonsense- and sparks of lack of deductive reasoning. the cause of the accident was brake failure and not the police force, we as nigerians shud stop putting other peoples lives at risk with the increasing number of road unworthy vehicles plying our roads- can u recall  the massive recall of certain specs of Toyota vehicles in the US.  The US govt thru the relevant inspection bodies carried test on this vehicles and found them road unworthy, which lead to the massive recall, thereby protecting the lives of other road users.
think clearly before making execrable comments.
your female hormones must be raging - making it impossible for your brain to cogitate- grin tongue
have u eva been at a checkpoint? if u have, you wud observe that before approaching one the natural reaction of a sensible driver is to reduce speed- reducing speed saves lives, however i must note sudden reduction in speed is what kills, your argument comment wud have been better buttresed if u talked about the location of the checkpoint.
the police wud be part-culpable of the accident, if the checkpoint was insanely located i.e immediately after a bend; up/down an incline- the effect is that the brakes of a vehicle wud have to work twice as hard in reducing/stopping momentum due to the weight of the vehicle as well the effect of the additional acceleration due to gravity, in either scenarios a  road worthy vehicle is well tested under severe & sometimes unrealistic conditions - i suggest u watch "topgear" it wud entertain as well as educate u a bit more.

The checkpoint was located on an expressway you crazy fool. Do you know how long it takes for a trailer with with fully functional brakes to come to a complete halt from high speed?? Wallahi I wonder how mo.rons like you function in real life.
Re: Tears As 40 Persons Roast To Death In Multiple Auto Crash by kaffy4tope(m): 10:13am On Aug 18, 2010
This is one tragedy too many, i am speechless.

Re: Tears As 40 Persons Roast To Death In Multiple Auto Crash by kemisuga(f): 10:29am On Aug 18, 2010
OH MY GOD shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
GEEES cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry
Re: Tears As 40 Persons Roast To Death In Multiple Auto Crash by snthesis(m): 10:37am On Aug 18, 2010
ziddy:

The checkpoint was located on an expressway you crazy fool. Do you know how long it takes for a trailer with with fully functional brakes to come to a complete halt from high speed?? Wallahi I wonder how mo.rons like you function in real life.

not crazy- i just reason with both sides of my brain- which makes me less quick to judge and beta yet more reasonable.

i guss u have trouble comprehending- the accident wasnt caused by the police- get all the crappy cars off the street and  den make sure u have competent drivers- dont just push the blame on the police- be reminded as well there were other cars already locked in a traffic jam, which gives more than sufficient time for the truck driver to observe the situation and reduce speed.

there is a junction where cars coming from anthony meet with vehicles coming from third mainland bridge- no checkpoint there but yet lots of gruesome accidents occur there and the culprit is always this useless road unworthy trucks plying our roads- stop placing the blame solely on the police- i admit the police checkpoint increased the magnitude of the accident but then the  police didnt cause the accident -the fault lies with the trucks & driver- they need to be inspected and properly maintained. we shud stop our poor maintenance culture.
Re: Tears As 40 Persons Roast To Death In Multiple Auto Crash by Nobody: 11:04am On Aug 18, 2010
There is absolutely no reason to have random checkpoints on an expressway. Proper tollbooths, maybe. But makeshift checkpoints are a no no.

Poor maintenance culture or not, brakes will fail when they will. They might fail less often with frequent maintenance & checks, that is not to say that policemen should endanger people's lives because they want to extort bribes from motorists. Maintenance culture can be imbibed only after reorientation of the populace and an overhaul of the relevant agencies i.e. FRSC, LASTMA, VIOs. It's going to take a lot of time.

The human element introduced by the presence of that checkpoint and the resultant traffic jam (which was what blew that incident out of all proportion, maybe there wouldn't have been any casualties at all if not for it) that element we can remove right now with proper handling of this particular accident. Instead of carrying out proper inquiries and meting out sanctions where deserved, the police authorities have covered up the incident.

It's easy for you to argue in favour of illegality & play devil's advocate because you were not there. But let me tell you something, last week was the turn of all those guys who died in the horrible inferno, next week it might be you : '. . . Never send to know for whom the bell tolls/It tolls for thee.' - John Donne. I suggest you google up the entire poem and read it. It might improve your humanity somewhat.
Re: Tears As 40 Persons Roast To Death In Multiple Auto Crash by Orikinla(m): 11:15am On Aug 18, 2010
May the Almighty God who alone knows the depth of the loss of the bereaved families comfort them.

God save us from tragedies.
Re: Tears As 40 Persons Roast To Death In Multiple Auto Crash by oluite(f): 11:16am On Aug 18, 2010
@snthesis
Havent you looked at that picture just above your post?Can you see the number of people roasted alive?
As a driver dont you think the magnitude of that accident would have been less if there was no traffic bottle neck created by the POLICE collecting N50?
As a driver dont you think the drivers of those that perished in the inferno would have seen with thier rear mirrors (if there was no TRAFFIC BOTTLE NECK created by the POLICE)that a trailer has lost controlled if they were driving on the express way?
I have an almost experience, it can happen to anyone, PLEASE PLEASE
Re: Tears As 40 Persons Roast To Death In Multiple Auto Crash by snthesis(m): 11:44am On Aug 18, 2010
@ ziddy
am glad u finally took time to get my point of view.
firstly am not trying to defend the police- but u can only get a true solution to a problem if u actually know what the problem is.
the lessons learnt from this gruesome accident are:

1. vehicles plying our roads need to undergo regular checks and shud have an updated document showing that such a check has been performed and when the next check is due.

2. our drivers must be certified  to operate the class of vehicles they use, we shud stop all these illegal driver's license racketeering- i know cos i have a friend that has a driver's license and she didnt even go to driving school.

3. The police should properly be trained on where and when to cite a check point, yeah i know u might argue about this point but the truth is the need for check points arose due to the spate of robberies, smuggling, civil unrest e.t.c countless vehicles have been recovered, illegal drugs/weapons stash discovered as a result of this checkpoints in the past.

As with most good tins d check point was for the safety and protection of the citizens but corruption has turned it upside down and  has become a source of revenue for the underpaid and unsung policemen.
i lost a friend once, the reason he died was because he entered a public vehicle that didnt bother buying good tires, and the side door doesnt work- "a regular danfo bus" and the mad bus driver was on top speed, the tire burst, the driver lost control,  and my friend got tossed out of the bus and was crushed, could the accident have been prevented yes, but still yet a number of road unworthy vehicles ply our roads, and yet we entrust our lives to these uneducated people, its a shame.

@oluite
i already mentioned the effect of the location of the checkpoint- the police where absolutely wrong in that aspect. and the magnitude of the accident is solely on the police, but the accident itself was caused by the faulty brakes on the truck. wud the accident have occured without the check point- the answer is yes.
Re: Tears As 40 Persons Roast To Death In Multiple Auto Crash by Echidime(m): 12:12pm On Aug 18, 2010
hmmmmmmmmmmm what a country,never see such accident before,even plane cratch is not like that
Re: Tears As 40 Persons Roast To Death In Multiple Auto Crash by wale4x35(m): 1:11pm On Aug 18, 2010
Me too cry cry cry cry
Re: Tears As 40 Persons Roast To Death In Multiple Auto Crash by indie22(f): 1:36pm On Aug 18, 2010
OMG!!!

That gory scene with the burnt bodies and spilling guts actually set my heart pounding double fast!!

Whether the trailer had faulty brakes or not the traffic build up as a result of the illegal checkpoint is to blame!! Geez, all those people burnt alive!!
Re: Tears As 40 Persons Roast To Death In Multiple Auto Crash by emmydee(m): 1:40pm On Aug 18, 2010
kaffy4tope:

This is one tragedy too many, i am speechless.

but this picture is not the berger tragedy picture. pls quote your source.
Re: Tears As 40 Persons Roast To Death In Multiple Auto Crash by chiozor: 1:46pm On Aug 18, 2010
i think what i need to hear now is how do we address this police issue, what angle do one go, how do we do that,
Re: Tears As 40 Persons Roast To Death In Multiple Auto Crash by funcy: 4:16pm On Aug 18, 2010
so pathetic God will console the concerned families.
Re: Tears As 40 Persons Roast To Death In Multiple Auto Crash by 5p1naz(m): 12:32am On Aug 19, 2010

r.i.p to the dead ones, . . . bad news indeed
Re: Tears As 40 Persons Roast To Death In Multiple Auto Crash by 5p1naz(m): 12:39am On Aug 19, 2010
[size=16pt]naaa. . . . those roasted bodies arer prolly not from this accident[/size]
Re: Tears As 40 Persons Roast To Death In Multiple Auto Crash by Tcrack(m): 2:47am On Aug 19, 2010
5p1naz:

[size=16pt]naaa. . . . those roasted bodies arer prolly not from this accident[/size]
i really hope so. cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry
Re: Tears As 40 Persons Roast To Death In Multiple Auto Crash by Nobody: 2:49am On Aug 19, 2010
5p1naz:

So where are they from?
Re: Tears As 40 Persons Roast To Death In Multiple Auto Crash by Nobody: 2:51am On Aug 19, 2010
Re: Tears As 40 Persons Roast To Death In Multiple Auto Crash by blackcypha(m): 3:18am On Aug 19, 2010
it is a pity
Zap the police!
Re: Tears As 40 Persons Roast To Death In Multiple Auto Crash by THEAMAKA(f): 9:07am On Aug 19, 2010
[size=23pt]OH MY GOD!!!!!![/size]

one would need counseling after seeing these images.
my stomach is turned inside out.  cry cry cry cry cry cry
*and it does look like more than 40 people, maybe 100
[size=2pt]praying thats not the real picture[/size] embarassed embarassed embarassed
Re: Tears As 40 Persons Roast To Death In Multiple Auto Crash by Orikinla(m): 9:27am On Aug 19, 2010
Do you know that most of the Hausa truck drivers of Dangote cannot read and write and you wonder how they got the Drivers License!
Re: Tears As 40 Persons Roast To Death In Multiple Auto Crash by Nobody: 9:30am On Aug 19, 2010
Those pictures look more like a pipeline fire incident than motor accident.

Orikinla:

Do you know that most of the Hausa truck drivers of Dangote cannot read and write and you wonder how they got the Drivers License!

Dangote is another one of those animals in babanriga. Playing high society while his trucks create hazards & death on Nigerian roads.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Brief History Of President Muhammadu Buhari / Workers' Day: FG Declares Monday Public Holiday / Babagana Zulum Re-Elected As Borno Governor

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.