Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,103 members, 7,957,122 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 07:29 AM

Are These Words Really Non-igbo? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Are These Words Really Non-igbo? (1168 Views)

What Are These Words In Bini Language / Yorubas, Please Help Me Translate These Words. / As A Non-igbo, What Would U Say About The Igbos? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are These Words Really Non-igbo? by Abagworo(m): 12:46am On Aug 16, 2010
oduduwa,orisa or olisa,kini or gini,oyibo.duro.ogbe,ogba,obi.these are just few words i noticed are everyday words that are shared by some igbos,yorubas and edos but whose origin is always pointed outside igboland.in my dialect we have orisa,kini,oyibo.ogba and obi.i will like those who can speak igbo,edo and yoruba to state more shared words in these languages.
Re: Are These Words Really Non-igbo? by Smi1(m): 3:07am On Aug 16, 2010
Ok, hmm wait me, I dey come back
Re: Are These Words Really Non-igbo? by excanny: 1:15pm On Aug 16, 2010
(stone)
Okwuta/Okwute- yoruba/igbo

wash(verb)
fo/fo- yoruba/igbo

goat
ewu/ewure- igbo/yoruba

More coming,
Re: Are These Words Really Non-igbo? by excanny: 3:33pm On Aug 16, 2010
Strong man
dimkpa/giripa

Twins
Eji-ma/Ib-eji

Person
onye/eniyan

Elephant
enyin/erin

Breeze
ifufe/afefe

House
ulo(uli)/ile
Re: Are These Words Really Non-igbo? by excanny: 3:42pm On Aug 16, 2010
Basket
akpara/akpere

Member of a society
ora/ara

Children
umu/omo

Medication
ogu/oogun

and more to come

It's funny that Yorubas and Igbos argue and fight each other when they are apparently brothers and sisters whose common ancestors spoke one language before splitting a long time ago.
Re: Are These Words Really Non-igbo? by Abagworo(m): 2:57am On Aug 17, 2010
we use ekiti as the word for ''center'' but i dont know the meaning of ekiti in yoruba.

onu and enu refers to mouth.

tiri and kiri refers to sight.

eti and nti refers to ear

ifa and afa refers to ritual

abeokuta is ebeokwuta in igbo.
Re: Are These Words Really Non-igbo? by excanny: 6:42am On Aug 17, 2010
Ekiti -probably the same meaning in the past, but now completely corrupted.

Ekiti(Okiti) now means 'hills' in Yoruba.
Re: Are These Words Really Non-igbo? by tpiah: 4:08pm On Aug 17, 2010
okiti/ekiti is a dialectal word.

hills can be called okiti or apata, depending on your location.

eg okitipupa could mean red hill or red mountain though i'm not sure.

but i doubt the word would be commonly found across yorubaland.

just an observation.

it's not uncommon in yoruba to have multiple words for the same thing.
Re: Are These Words Really Non-igbo? by excanny: 11:52pm On Aug 17, 2010
tpiah:

okiti/ekiti is a dialectal word.

hills can be called okiti or apata, depending on your location.

eg okitipupa could mean red hill or red mountain though i'm not sure.

but i doubt the word would be commonly found across yorubaland.

just an observation.

it's not uncommon in yoruba to have multiple words for the same thing.

What is this one saying?

Didn't you see okiti in bracket? Did we tell you that we don't know it's dialectic?

We asked you to give us more example of shared words that are still preserved in the Igboid-Yoruboid Kwa language family, and you are repeating what we said before.

This is above you. So bounce to where you belong, Lady.
Re: Are These Words Really Non-igbo? by tpiah: 2:27am On Aug 18, 2010
^^no need to get defensive as if someone abused you. undecided

oversabi helps nobody but rather makes you look foolish, since no one has a monopoly on knowledge.

as i mentioned before, okiti isnt a common term across yorubaland. Apata is another word for mountain.

simple fact which you'd do well to learn. And if you dont want to learn, then waka pass jeje.

if you go around telling people okiti and thinking you've known the whole concept of yoruba, you don gba foul.

if you're going to style yourself an expert on yoruba language, at least make an effort to know the region.

okiti itself sounds like a derivation of okuta but you wouldnt know that now, would you.

why isnt abeokuta called abeokiti, since you're the expert here.
Re: Are These Words Really Non-igbo? by excanny: 6:24am On Aug 18, 2010
tpiah:

^^no need to get defensive as if someone abused you. undecided

oversabi helps nobody but rather makes you look foolish, since no one has a monopoly on knowledge.

as i mentioned before, okiti isnt a common term across yorubaland. Apata is another word for mountain.

simple fact which you'd do well to learn. And if you dont want to learn, then waka pass jeje.

if you go around telling people okiti and thinking you've known the whole concept of yoruba, you don gba foul.

if you're going to style yourself an expert on yoruba language, at least make an effort to know the region.

okiti itself sounds like a derivation of okuta but you wouldnt know that now, would you.

why isnt abeokuta called abeokiti, since you're the expert here.

No offence, though, only Igbo-Yoruba-Bini shared words will make sense here. 

One-sided contributions will be pointless. That's my point.

If you can provide some, you are welcome.
Re: Are These Words Really Non-igbo? by tpiah: 7:33pm On Aug 18, 2010
^^all i'm saying is some yorubas may know the meaning of okiti while others might not be so familiar with the word. It's a regional thing, not general.

okuta,oke and apata, however, would be more correct applications of the overall context implied by this thread.

i dont know any shared words besides the commonly known ones like orisa, ewure, etc.
Re: Are These Words Really Non-igbo? by hackney(m): 11:54pm On Aug 20, 2010
Tpia etipia la thread.

grin grin grin grin grin
laff wan kill me oo!

(1) (Reply)

What Does My Name Mean? / Senegal Women Tatoo Their Gums To Improve Their Smiles / Whatsapp Status Update

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.