Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,778 members, 7,817,207 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:13 AM

A Lifetime Of Forgiving - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / A Lifetime Of Forgiving (538 Views)

The Art Of Forgiving / The Act Of Forgiving / If God Is So Forgiving And Loving Why Did He Feel It Necessary To Create Hell? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

A Lifetime Of Forgiving by Yefet(m): 4:15am On Aug 16, 2010
16/8/2010

A LIFETIME OF FORGIVING

Read Matthew 18:21-22

21 Then Peter came to Jesus and asked, "Lord, how many times shall I forgive someone who sins against me? Up to seven times?"

22 Jesus answered, "I tell you, not seven times, but seventy-seven times.

We would like ethical conduct to be precisely defined sometimes. Showus how many times we have to do a certain thing and we will do it. Nomore, no less. What exact amount should I give away? How many minutesor hours a day ought I to pray? How many times a week should I visit asick friend?

And in this case, how many times do I forgive someone who wrongs me?Peter reckons seven times might be fair enough. Jesus' reply is not tobe taken literally: that would be setting up a new legal limit. Crossme seventy seven times and you will be forgiven, cross me one more timeand the deal is off! His reply is another way of saying forgivenessknows no limits.

This short exchange tells us something about the nature of forgivenessas well. It is a process, not an event. Sometimes a person may hurt usrepeatedly and we might have to go on offering forgiveness. Notingthat unless the person responds positively there will be no actualreconciliation. And noting that this doesn't mean we are to cop abuseunnecessarily: we might need to exercise forgiveness from a safedistance some times!

Deep or ongoing hurts are not likely to be healed overnight. Don't bediscouraged that you find forgiving hard. It is meant to be hardbecause it is intent on facing and naming the hurt. Denial would bemuch easier. When we begin the journey of forgiveness we begin aprocess of healing. We have hiccups along the way. But with the help ofthe God who forgives us, we can reach our destination. Just because ittakes time to forgive doesn't mean it is a waste of time to begin.

BlessingsDavid Reay

http://www.hope1032.com.auLifeWords/

(1) (Reply)

Saved To Serve / Praise The Lord / Please I Need Help Understanding The Interpretation Of These Quotes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.