Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,300 members, 7,815,538 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:11 PM

Oby Ezekwesili Withdraws From Presidential Race, Insists On Coalition - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Oby Ezekwesili Withdraws From Presidential Race, Insists On Coalition (39734 Views)

Deborah Samuel: Oby Ezekwesili Withdraws From NBA Event In Sokoto / FFK Reacts As Ezekwesili Withdraws From Race, Tells Moghalu What To Do / "The Nigeria Air MUST FAIL" - Oby Ezekwesili (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Oby Ezekwesili Withdraws From Presidential Race, Insists On Coalition by EmagNig(m): 6:39am On Jan 24, 2019
Oby Ezekwesili withdraws from presidential race on Thursday morning and has rather opted to help build a coalition to defeat the All Progressives Congress and the People’s Democratic Party in the February 16, 2019 election.

In a statement issued by the spokesperson for the Obiageli Ezekwesili Presidential Campaign Organisation, Ozioma Ubabukoh, Ezekwesili was quoted as saying that her decision to withdraw from the race followed extensive discussions with Nigerians at home and the Diaspora.

According to her, the action is also prompted by an examination of the country’s electoral environment sequel to the 2019 presidential debate of Saturday, January 19, 2019.

“This decision followed extensive consultations with leaders from various walks of life across the country over the past few days. I deem it necessary for me to focus on helping to build a veritable coalition to ensure a viable alternative to the #APCPDP in the forthcoming elections,” the statement read.

She said,

“It is my ardent belief that this broad coalition for a viable alternative has now become more than ever before, an urgent mission for and on behalf of Nigerian citizens. I have therefore chosen to lead the way in demonstrating the much needed patriotic sacrifice for our national revival and redirection.

“I wish to state that over the past three months, I have been in private, but extended talks with other candidates to birth a coalition that would allow Nigerians to exercise their choice without feeling helplessly encumbered by the evil twins of #APCPDP.

“While the deliberations continued, I never hesitated for a moment in my willingness and determination to sacrifice my candidacy in order to facilitate the emergence of the envisaged strong and viable alternative that Nigerians could identify with in our collective search for a new beginning.

“My commitment to this promising political recalibration has been consistent and in consonance with my agreement, at the request of candidates under the Presidential Aspirants Coming Together (PACT) arrangement in 2018, when I consented to supervise the internal selection process as an outside observer passionate about building an alternative force.”

Ezekwesili also said,

“However, despite resistance from the Allied Congress Party of Nigeria on these and other issues, I have decided that it is now necessary to show by action and example my determination on this issue by stepping down my candidacy so as to focus squarely on building the coalition to a logical conclusion.

“We have no right to allow citizens give in to despair. We will #Fight4Naija together and prove to all that the mess, which the political class has now become, should not be allowed to destroy our spirits and nation. We are also determined to ensure that the message keeps resonating that our beloved country deserves better, and that we will get the best that we deserve.”

She added,

“From last year, when I joined the presidential race, I made it clear to Nigerians that the country has always had a 20-year cycle of change - 1958, 1979, and 1999. As such, 2019 begins another 20-year cycle, and together with all Nigerians of good will, I stand ready to play my part to ensure that we do not miss this golden opportunity to sing a new song.

“There is no more time to waste. Let’s get to work!”

Meanwhile, Ubabukoh thanked Nigerians, including campaign donors and volunteers, who supported Ezekwesili, saying that “every money donated to the campaign and funds spent will be accounted for in the coming days.”

https://lailasnews.com/oby-ezekwesili-withdraws-from-presidential-race-insists-on-coalition/

24 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Oby Ezekwesili Withdraws From Presidential Race, Insists On Coalition by babyfaceafrica: 6:42am On Jan 24, 2019
smart decision

90 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Oby Ezekwesili Withdraws From Presidential Race, Insists On Coalition by LOWPEAK: 6:43am On Jan 24, 2019
Re: Oby Ezekwesili Withdraws From Presidential Race, Insists On Coalition by handie(m): 6:46am On Jan 24, 2019
This is commendable. Truth is, irrespective of how brilliant and noble the other candidates and their ideas are, right now, it's next to impossible to go toe to toe with APC and PDP. What is needed is a coalition of all these parties with an agreement to present one candidate who all others will unselfishly support(Olawepo Hashim or Sowore in this case). Oby won't have been a bad choice but honestly, the country ain't ready for a female president(sorry feminists). With the youthful population and an agressive social media campaign, wresting power from these old dumb leaders is achievable. I hope other candidates can toe her path

181 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Oby Ezekwesili Withdraws From Presidential Race, Insists On Coalition by helinues: 6:47am On Jan 24, 2019
She already got the attention she needed.

Nice tactics

70 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Oby Ezekwesili Withdraws From Presidential Race, Insists On Coalition by MANNABBQGRILLS: 6:47am On Jan 24, 2019
She made a very good decision.
She has seen the handwriting on the wall.
Its a shame that most people from her region NEVER supported her from day one, but rather support a thief and criminal.

Only the blind people or people that enjoy lying to themselves that up till now do not know who the next president of Nigeria for the next 4 years will be....

Even the wise people know who the next Presidents of Nigeria for the next 12 years are, all by the special grace of God.
Thumbs up Madam Oby!
emilyone:
I don't blame her when those that should be supporting her are busy supporting Atiku
You have said it all sis.
You are 100% on point!

82 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Oby Ezekwesili Withdraws From Presidential Race, Insists On Coalition by dunkem21(m): 6:47am On Jan 24, 2019
cheesy Their plan failed. They wanted to disgrace Atiku in the debate, but Saraki pass them grin

31 Likes

Re: Oby Ezekwesili Withdraws From Presidential Race, Insists On Coalition by Femich18(m): 6:47am On Jan 24, 2019
Even if she contest she won't win so why wasting her precious time?
All other parties should assemble together and help us chase away APC=PDP but they won't do that...
Nice one though. I hope she support Sowore

32 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oby Ezekwesili Withdraws From Presidential Race, Insists On Coalition by nony43(m): 6:47am On Jan 24, 2019
I just wish Buhari will just withdraw too, but greed, selfishness nepotism etc won't let him retire and face his old age and ill health

30 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Oby Ezekwesili Withdraws From Presidential Race, Insists On Coalition by MANNABBQGRILLS: 6:47am On Jan 24, 2019
She should work hand in hand with Baba to continue building the good Nigeria that Baba has started.

She was unfortunate to work with thieves, rogues and looters in the last dispensation.
A better Nigeria is what we want.
Thumbs up Madam Oby.

It's a big shame when most people from your region NEVER supported or BELIEVED in you, but they rather queue behind CRIMINALS and LOOTERS.
There qwas as a nation!

Thumbs up Madam Oby, You fought a good fight!
Nigeria will be GREAT again with folks like you around
WE love you too!

35 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Oby Ezekwesili Withdraws From Presidential Race, Insists On Coalition by Nobody: 6:47am On Jan 24, 2019
I wish she started as a strong vice president with a strong party.

I see her vision but Nigeria is not ripe enough for a female president.

How many women do we have as governors and senators?

We have barely 10% representation in the legislature, we've never had a female vice president. Talk more of a President.

22 Likes

Re: Oby Ezekwesili Withdraws From Presidential Race, Insists On Coalition by mycar: 6:48am On Jan 24, 2019
I wonder even how Oby that worked alongside PDP under Atiku Abubarka could be accusing the administration she was part of.
Anyways, she wasn't going anywhere and I don't even see three of them combined defeating either PDP or APC

8 Likes

Re: Oby Ezekwesili Withdraws From Presidential Race, Insists On Coalition by ybalogs(m): 6:48am On Jan 24, 2019
WHAT AN IRONY OF LIFE?

Do you know that the only tree a monkey cannot climb is the banana tree. Paradoxically, banana is what monkey likes the most. This means that anytime banana is found in the hand of a monkey, it's most likely a gift. Hence the phrase "Who dash monkey banana?" was coined.

In the journey of life there are things you like but can never achieve unless you are given by God.

Therefore, it is not of him that willeth or of him that runneth but of God that showeth Mercy. May His mercy continue to abide in, and with you forever. Amen.��

130 Likes 17 Shares

Re: Oby Ezekwesili Withdraws From Presidential Race, Insists On Coalition by Mitchewww(m): 6:49am On Jan 24, 2019
Sending Buhari back to Daura is a patriotic duty.

Even a presidential candidate knows that.

She wants a coalition to perform a patriotic duty.

But my worst worry are the irredeemable zombies.

How people of such abysmally low IQ still exist and claim to be litrates is a wonder.

17 Likes

Re: Oby Ezekwesili Withdraws From Presidential Race, Insists On Coalition by ceejayMAX(m): 6:49am On Jan 24, 2019
Money for campaign don finish.don't quote me

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oby Ezekwesili Withdraws From Presidential Race, Insists On Coalition by Naijawebmaster: 6:49am On Jan 24, 2019
fake news...check the source
Still looking for a professional website design? We are Nigeria's most trusted Web developers. *No advanced payment required! Check my signature

1 Like

Re: Oby Ezekwesili Withdraws From Presidential Race, Insists On Coalition by adamooye: 6:49am On Jan 24, 2019
The worst person u can lie to is your self. She has just told herself the truth.

5 Likes

Re: Oby Ezekwesili Withdraws From Presidential Race, Insists On Coalition by firstolalekan(m): 6:49am On Jan 24, 2019
Samfixed1122:
Please read below!!!
You're a fool
Re: Oby Ezekwesili Withdraws From Presidential Race, Insists On Coalition by DWJOBScom(m): 6:49am On Jan 24, 2019
Very well
Go and plan well next time
Re: Oby Ezekwesili Withdraws From Presidential Race, Insists On Coalition by olusola200: 6:50am On Jan 24, 2019
Deleted
Re: Oby Ezekwesili Withdraws From Presidential Race, Insists On Coalition by Saintsami(m): 6:50am On Jan 24, 2019
Wetin concern me?
Re: Oby Ezekwesili Withdraws From Presidential Race, Insists On Coalition by ybalogs(m): 6:50am On Jan 24, 2019
I truly believe this woman means well for Nigeria but as it is they've got to go the drawing board to ensure we have Nigeria of our dream.

2 Likes

Re: Oby Ezekwesili Withdraws From Presidential Race, Insists On Coalition by Npfn: 6:50am On Jan 24, 2019
One by one all that buhari sponsored to decide eastern votes will disappear

2 Likes

Re: Oby Ezekwesili Withdraws From Presidential Race, Insists On Coalition by martineverest(m): 6:50am On Jan 24, 2019
just look at the comments above,it will make one to ask if young Nigerians are ready for a better Nigeria or are happy with corrupt politicians ruling them.
majority of nairalanders are insulting her instead of commending for reinforcing the third party to fight off the two ugly parties, APC and PDP.

Nigerians actually deserve and like their kind of leaders.......their attitude isn't different from their leaders

12 Likes

Re: Oby Ezekwesili Withdraws From Presidential Race, Insists On Coalition by frankman365(m): 6:51am On Jan 24, 2019
Good move
Re: Oby Ezekwesili Withdraws From Presidential Race, Insists On Coalition by emilyone(f): 6:51am On Jan 24, 2019
I don't blame her when those that should be supporting her are busy supporting Atiku

11 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Nigerian Govt. Lied, UN Meeting It Failed To Attend Not “Unofficial” - PremiumT / Senator Ademola Adeleke Dances To Olamide’s 'Wo' At Silverbird Awards / PDP Governors Meet At Fayose's Lodge In Ekiti (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.