Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,527 members, 7,826,980 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 02:05 AM

Expired - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Expired (2297 Views)

. / Going To Nigeria: Expired Passport: Big Problem: / I Need Suggestions On Travelling With An Expired Passport. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Expired by Vicjustice: 4:18pm On Aug 17, 2010
Expired
Re: Expired by Freiburger(m): 4:24pm On Aug 17, 2010
Times without number.
Re: Expired by makajibbz(m): 4:31pm On Aug 17, 2010
never had, never will.

i'm always loud wif my lagos reppin'.

naija 4ever. cool
Re: Expired by omega25red(m): 8:04pm On Aug 17, 2010
once before while at the airport in senegal they called extra immigration workers to check us because they saw the green passport. That cheesed me off
Re: Expired by OmoAlata(f): 8:46pm On Aug 17, 2010
Have You Ever Felt Embarrassed As A Nigerian?

Nah!! I laugh along with them grin
Re: Expired by makajibbz(m): 8:53pm On Aug 17, 2010
Omo Alata:

Nah!! I laugh along with them grin
grin grin
Re: Expired by Vicjustice: 3:46pm On Aug 23, 2010
makajibbz:

never had, never will.

i'm always loud wif my lagos reppin'.

naija 4ever. cool
   Pleased to hear that you're cool with the system. Nigerians, they say, are the happiest people in the world, and Fela Kuti long ago observed it and explained how: "Suffering and Smiling".
Re: Expired by makajibbz(m): 4:46pm On Aug 23, 2010
Vicjustice:

Pleased to hear that you're cool with the system. Nigeria, they say, are the happiest people in the world, and Fela Kuti long ago observed it and explained how: "Suffering and Smiling".
wetin man go do

so because we have a horrible government doesnt mean my country shld make me ashamed. cool
Re: Expired by kadman(m): 7:54pm On Aug 23, 2010
Actually being abroad I haven't had a particular situation where I was embarrassed being Nigerian. I am however embrassed when I read things on the news or watch something on BBC. Or when I log on nairaland and see comments some Nigerians make. . .and I think to myself 'why the hell are these people even alive
Re: Expired by finestboy1: 12:45am On Aug 24, 2010
kadman:

Actually being abroad I haven't had a particular situation where I was embarrassed being Nigerian. I am however embrassed when I read things on the news or watch something on BBC. Or when I log on nairaland and see comments some Nigerians make. . .and I think to myself 'why the hell are these people even alive
. grin grin grin
Re: Expired by iice(f): 4:59am On Aug 24, 2010
kadman:

lol.

@Topic, not really.
I see terrible news and embarrassing situations but countries have their good and bad sides. People have their light and dark sides.
Re: Expired by kadman(m): 12:37pm On Aug 24, 2010
iice:

lol.

@Topic, not really.
I see terrible news and embarrassing situations but countries have their good and bad sides. People have their light and dark sides.

iice, what's up. I've been watching your show . . and is that really the best they could make Sookie ? A damn fairy (hiss) lol
Re: Expired by iice(f): 2:41pm On Aug 24, 2010
Lmao i know right. . .kind of an anticlimax undecided
Re: Expired by AjanleKoko: 3:37pm On Aug 24, 2010
@Topic, not really. But not that there has not been enough good reason to.
I try to not dwell on the 'Nigerian' bit, and act rational and calm. But let's face it, Nigerians usually don't act rational and calm. We are darned aggressive!

That has its advantages though. I have seen instances of condescending treatment of black people by other races. Maybe the Caucasians are a bit more mature about it, but the Asians are really terrible. And a little bit of 'aggressive Naija Person' works well with those people. wink
Re: Expired by JeSoul(f): 5:26pm On Aug 24, 2010
Less than a month ago I was in Athens. It's about 10pm in the evening and we're walking back to our hotel downtown and suddenly we hear screaming and shouting. Four black women questionably dressed were running towards us shouting but at the same time laughing as an older greek man was chasing them.

As they ran by us laughing and shouting, I could immediately tell by their words they were Nigerian women. "Ah hurry up now!" "na wetin" "see that old man" "haha" etc etc . . .  the old white man was holding up his pants as he ran past us chasing them. I figured they had probably just robbed him of something. Moments after, the police ran by us pursuing them.

I just shook my head and walked on not waiting to see what would happen. Its riff-raffs like these that are ruining our name all over the world.
Re: Expired by juzme: 6:06pm On Aug 24, 2010
If I understand your question and comments clearly, Sometimes I felt so bad being a Nigerian. Not because of the way we are being treated but the way and manner some of our people behave abroad. Always claiming to be right even when they dont understand what the law say.
I have been in some countries and I have seen similar thing, the way your friend behaved with the taxi man. It is clearly on the meter reading that her fare is 11.00euro or whatever but she refused to pay and still claiming she was right.
And I must say the truth here, it is because of some our attitude abroad that make other foriengers to treat us in that way they do. Even the good ones has to suffer for it.
Having said this, I am still proud of being a Nigerian and i hope someday we will learn how to be a good ambassador of Nigeria.
Re: Expired by sherrify: 3:19pm On Sep 01, 2010
I HAVE FELT EMBARRASSED IN MANY WAYS, I RESIDE IN DUBAI,U.A.E AS AN INVESTOR,EVEN THOU AM AN INVESTOR WHEN I NEED TO GET VISAS FOR MY STAFF I SEE THAT RACISM ATTITUDE IN THEIR GOVT OFFICIALS, THAT I CAN MANAGE I WAS IN SARAJEVO,BOSNIA N HERZOGOVINA FOR A BUISNESS MEETING AND AT THE MEETING THE WHOLE BOARDROOM SAW ME AS A TOTAL OUTCAST ASIVE AFRICANS/NIGERIANS CAN NEVER AVE A SAY IN AN INTERNATIONAL BUISNESS DISCUSSION, IN ATHENS,GREECE I WAS AT A BAR WHEN I SAW OUR NIGERIAN BOYS RUNNING HELTER SKETER JUMPING TABLES IN A PUBLIC BAR WITH NIGERIAN CD'S IN THEIR HANDS POLICE CHASING THEM ALL AROUND I FELT ASHAMED BIN A NIGERIAN THERE, IN ISTANBUL,TURKEY 2009 WHEN I WAS REGISTERING MY COMPANY , IT WAS A DIFFRENT ISSUE IN D METRO PEOPLE STARE AT ME LIKE SUMTHIN DEY NEVER SAW,TO THE EXTENT THAT SOME OLD MEN STOOD UP AND WENT TO ANOTHER CORNER LEAVING THE ENITR ROLL OF CHAIRS TO ME ALONE, THE MOST SCARING ONE WAS WHEN I WAS GOING HOME FROM MY OFFICE 1 NIGHT AT THE TERMINAL A TURKISH GUY WHO SPEAKS GUD ENGLISH APPROACHED ME AND ASKED MY NATIONALITY,I TOOK A GUD LUK AT HIM AND NOTICED HIS HAND WAS IN HIS POCKET THROUGH OUT, I SAID GUNE AFRIK MEANING SOUTH AFRICAN, HE SAID ARE U SURE U NOT NIGERIAN I SAID AM NOT, HE THEN SAID, U LUCKY U NOT A NIGERIAN HE SHOWED ME HIS GUN AND LEFT, IN HO-CHI-MI CITY,VIETNAM, I SAW OUR NIGERIAN BOYS SITTING OUTSIDE SMOKING IGBO, AGAIN I WAS ASHAMED BIN AN AFRICAN,
SO I CAN'T EVEN FINISH TALKIN ABOUT MY EXPERIENCE IN MANY COUNTRIES, IN A SHORT CODE E NO EASY BIN A NIGERIAN IN SOME COUNTIRES
Re: Expired by nanidee(f): 6:08pm On Sep 01, 2010
sherrify:

I HAVE FELT EMBARRASSED IN MANY WAYS, I RESIDE IN DUBAI,U.A.E AS AN INVESTOR,EVEN THOU AM AN INVESTOR WHEN I NEED TO GET VISAS FOR MY STAFF I SEE THAT RACISM ATTITUDE IN THEIR GOVT OFFICIALS, THAT I CAN MANAGE I WAS IN SARAJEVO,BOSNIA N HERZOGOVINA FOR A BUISNESS MEETING AND AT THE MEETING THE WHOLE BOARDROOM SAW ME AS A TOTAL OUTCAST ASIVE AFRICANS/NIGERIANS CAN NEVER AVE A SAY IN AN INTERNATIONAL BUISNESS DISCUSSION, IN ATHENS,GREECE I WAS AT A BAR WHEN I SAW OUR NIGERIAN BOYS RUNNING HELTER SKETER JUMPING TABLES IN A PUBLIC BAR WITH NIGERIAN CD'S IN THEIR HANDS POLICE CHASING THEM ALL AROUND I FELT ASHAMED BIN A NIGERIAN THERE, IN ISTANBUL,TURKEY 2009 WHEN I WAS REGISTERING MY COMPANY , IT WAS A DIFFRENT ISSUE IN D METRO PEOPLE STARE AT ME LIKE SUMTHIN DEY NEVER SAW,TO THE EXTENT THAT SOME OLD MEN STOOD UP AND WENT TO ANOTHER CORNER LEAVING THE ENITR ROLL OF CHAIRS TO ME ALONE, THE MOST SCARING ONE WAS WHEN I WAS GOING HOME FROM MY OFFICE 1 NIGHT AT THE TERMINAL A TURKISH GUY WHO SPEAKS GUD ENGLISH APPROACHED ME AND ASKED MY NATIONALITY,I TOOK A GUD LUK AT HIM AND NOTICED HIS HAND WAS IN HIS POCKET THROUGH OUT, I SAID GUNE AFRIK MEANING SOUTH AFRICAN, HE SAID ARE U SURE U NOT NIGERIAN I SAID AM NOT, HE THEN SAID, U LUCKY U NOT A NIGERIAN HE SHOWED ME HIS GUN AND LEFT, IN HO-CHI-MI CITY,VIETNAM, I SAW OUR NIGERIAN BOYS SITTING OUTSIDE SMOKING IGBO, AGAIN I WAS ASHAMED BIN AN AFRICAN,
SO I CAN'T EVEN FINISH TALKIN ABOUT MY EXPERIENCE IN MANY COUNTRIES, IN A SHORT CODE E NO EASY BIN A NIGERIAN IN SOME COUNTIRES

now that was some scary stuff u talked about in Turkey

@ poster, truth is, a lot of times, I feel ashamed of being a Nigerian.

A while ago, I wanted to get a job at a store,  (just for the time being anyway) I met a lady there, and she took to liking me instantly wink wink, (she was even the one that suggested i work there a while).
We had a lot of discussions, et all. She then told me to come in the next day and see her manager.
When I got there, the manager and I got talking, (seemed like a nice dude though). Now, it was almost like we had known each other before, (the prospects were quite promising.)
Finally, he asked me where in Africa I was from, and the moment I mentioned Nigeria, the whole story changed, now i mean really changed shocked shocked. He was so quick to say they have no vacancies, bla bla bla, my, I was so embarrassed to be a Nigerian.  cry cry cry

But then again, I love my country, although it could be annoying sometimes.  wink
Re: Expired by JeSoul(f): 6:40pm On Sep 01, 2010
sherrify:

Sweet Lord of Heaven!!!!  shocked  shocked is that how he would have killed you simply for being Nigerian?  shocked  shocked  cry this is serious.
Re: Expired by sherrify: 6:58pm On Sep 01, 2010
@JESOUL,
THINGS DEY HAPPEN TO NIGERIANS JARE MAKE GOD JUST DEY GUIDE US IN DIS HUSSLE,I VISIT LOT N LOTS OF COUNTRIES AND I SEE WAT MANY AT HOME DON'T SEE, AVE JUST POSTED AN INCIDENT THAT HAPPENED TO A NIGERIAN IN BULGARIA, HOW MANY OF NIGERIANS AVE THEY KILLIED IN HOLLAND,BELGIUM AND IRELAND, JUST COS OF RACISM, MANY GUYS AVE BIN KILLED WHILE DEM PARENTS STILL DEY WAIT FOR WETIN HIM GO BRING BACK FROM HUSSLING FIELD
Re: Expired by naijadiva2(f): 7:54pm On Sep 01, 2010
I am never embarassed for being nigerian, however i may feel embarassed for not only another nigerian but alot of africans in general. Where i live although nigerians make up the majority, there are other africans mostly from Sierra leone, liberia, ghana, and cameroon and other places.

I live in a well diverse area so its really hard to cry racism lol. anyways, i shake my head at alot of africans that i come across becauase of their atttitude. they can be quite rude and not care. In my head, i can't help but think the way u acted back home is not going to benefit you here! they do not get that. they think by raising there voice and calling ppl idiot is going to solve their problem, it is not. your're just going to look stupid.

i just wish many of them could be alot cooler and calmer. anyways i still love my fellow africans.
Re: Expired by Vicjustice: 8:53pm On Sep 01, 2010
sherrify:

A racist will be a racist to you as long as you are of the hated race irrespective of your country, while a nationalist will only have prejudice against aliens.
Now, i won't call your experience with the Turkish armed man an embarrassing situation but rather, a terrifying encounter which might have cost you your life had you mention that you are from dear Nigeria. Thank God for the redemption.
NIGERIA: Such a beautiful name and a lovely land, but the character, such a dirty shame.
Re: Expired by JeSoul(f): 9:14pm On Sep 01, 2010
Vicjustice:
Now, i won't call your experience with the Turkish armed man an embarrassing situation but rather, a terrifying encounter which might have cost you your life had you mention that you are from dear Nigeria. Thank God for the redemption.

Seriously. This has made me drastically reconsider my policy of boldly declaring my country of birth whenever I am asked. To think that if sherrify had answered in the affirmative, he would not be here to type this story today. Hmmm . . . me I dey fear oh undecided.
Re: Expired by Vicjustice: 9:31pm On Sep 01, 2010
JeSoul:

Seriously. This has made me drastically reconsider my policy of boldly declaring my country of birth whenever I am asked. To think that if sherrify had answered in the affirmative, he would not be here to type this story today. Hmmm . . . me I dey fear oh undecided.
I share your concern, i tell you.
Re: Expired by Obimek: 3:19pm On Sep 04, 2010
@ Sherrify, big bros, that was a very scary one o!
I don't think anybody leaving inside Nigeria will ever understand the embarrassment of being a nigerian outside the country. Anyway I believe that this thread will enlighten some pple planning to travel. I had a transit visa for Dubai only to be delayed there for 6 days because I have a nigerian passport.
Re: Expired by wishlolia(f): 8:25pm On Oct 24, 2010
some times, i feel more than embarrassed of the kind of things our people perform abroad, maybe this is an egoistic comment by some of us, who knows how many people have also felt embarrassed as results of our own behaviours?
Re: Expired by oyewolejos(m): 6:36am On Oct 25, 2010
The only time was at JFK Airport days after the failed Xmas bomb attempt. i was stripped and thoroughly searched and i ask the guy why he said cos am a Nigerian and that one of us nearly killed over 200 people few days ago. I didn't even care. When he asked me if am bisexual or straight i told him straight he later directed me to another guy to search me. I believe he his gay that's why he referred me to another officer.
If i catch that Muttallab ehn i go finish him whole family. grin grin grin
Re: Expired by Ijeleigbo(m): 7:25am On Oct 25, 2010
@sherif!
That encounter with that turkish boy is worth testifying in church. I believe he isn't a racist but has issues with Nigerians only and who knows how many Nigerians he has murdered?
Secondly, apart from Govt. we are shouting everytime, these yahoo yahoo boyz 4 9ja are also makin matters worse. After they rip white men of their hard currency these white men vow to put a gun on any 9ja nigger creating a scenario where innocent nigerians abroad will pay 4 the sins of yahoo boyz.
Re: Expired by suxes2005(m): 5:20pm On Oct 25, 2010
D day i was goin to Abuja thru aero
I saw dis white guy dat we almost missed
our flight, After running thru the 'port
we were asked to run down to the bus to
drop us @ d plane,

D next thing he said to me was
"Its so unfortunate for you to be a Nigerian"
'The system and pple living there are not organised"

In my own country mehn, so embarrassing that
I couldnt ask him why cos i already know why

SHALOM
Re: Expired by AjanleKoko: 9:46pm On Oct 25, 2010
Obimek:

@ Sherrify, big bros, that was a very scary one o!
I don't think anybody leaving inside Nigeria will ever understand the embarrassment of being a nigerian outside the country.

I guess you're right, because I have never been embarassed by anyone outside Nigeria. Not to say that I have it smooth when I travel. I just keep it simple, and don't expect any favours or special treatment. Which is generally the way I live my life anyway.
Re: Expired by mbulela: 2:26pm On Oct 26, 2010
I have not traveled as much as some but on my few trip, i have never had an issue in planes or airports. I just stick to the rules, keep to luggage restrictions or have the cash or card to pay for excess, boards on time, check in on time, answer questions appropriately without always seeking for conspiracies, little stuff like those.
In foreign countries, it is a different issue but i am relatively thick skinned about racism.
I still believe that it is an act if ignorance and i give foreigners a chance before they prove otherwise.
Afterall, even blacks can be racists.
Re: Expired by JeSoul(f): 2:50pm On Oct 26, 2010
suxes2005:

D day i was goin to Abuja thru aero
I saw dis white guy dat we almost missed
our flight, After running thru the 'port
we were asked to run down to the bus to
drop us @ d plane,

D next thing he said to me was
"Its so unfortunate for you to be a Nigerian"
'The system and pple living there are not organised"

In my own country mehn, so embarrassing that
I couldnt ask him why cos i already know why

SHALOM

ROTFLOL grin this story is both funny and tragic. My brother, I feel your pain.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Bizarre images from From Google Earth / My Passports Just Expired And I Have Visa Interview In 2weeks / Wrong Signature On My Nigerian International Passport

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.