Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,759 members, 7,817,095 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:18 AM

Nigerian Papers & Their Ideologies - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian Papers & Their Ideologies (863 Views)

Prince Abubakar Audu’s Death Opens New Ideologies For Kogi State With Bello / Court Orders Papers Served On Jonathan Over Qualification For 2015 / Thugs Thumb-Printing Ballot Papers For Aregbesola (Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Papers & Their Ideologies by Jarus(m): 5:17pm On Aug 17, 2010
DAILY TRUST: Pro-North, Pro-Islam, now anti-Jonathan
SUN: Anti-PDP., Pro-Kalu, Pro-IBB
THISDAY: Owner is PDP, but their analysts try to be neutral
TRIBUNE: Pro-Yoruba, not-so friendly with the north, conservative, consciously or unconsciously pro-Christianity
THE NATION: Pro-Tinubu, pro-AC, anti-PDP, but backpage analysts, most of whom veteran journalists, try not to be Tinubu's boy-boy
LEADERSHIP: Pro-North
GUARDIAN: Seems to be quite professional and objective, despite being owned by Ibru family
NEXT: Wants to prove style and class. Tries to operate above sentiments.
Re: Nigerian Papers & Their Ideologies by desgiezd(m): 5:28pm On Aug 17, 2010
Compass: Pro Gbenga Daniel, Pro PDP, anti-Tinubu, anti-Lagos
Re: Nigerian Papers & Their Ideologies by Jarus(m): 5:31pm On Aug 17, 2010
Jarus:

DAILY TRUST: Pro-North, Pro-Islam, now anti-Jonathan
I read DT very well and I have quite a number of articles there but I am highly disappointed at the level they are taking their anti-Jonathan campaign. I'm also not a fan of GEJ. Ribadu is my man of the current names being bandied around, but I expect a minimum level of objectivity from a newspaper like that.
Virtually all their columns, opinion articles and even editorials are about Jonathan bashing. I think they are taking it too far.
From Mohammed Haruna to Adamu Adamu to Garbadeen Mohammed to Is'haq Modibbo Kawu and even to Mahmud Jega, who I have always respected, all their writings are all about Jonathan. Modibbo Kawu called GEJ a paper Tiger, haba! They have GEJ all sort of names.
I'm not impressed at all, even though I'm also not a GEJ fan.

Jarus:

SUN: Anti-PDP., Pro-Kalu, Pro-IBB
Sun has also stooped so low that I feel shy to see informed people see Sun in my hand. While newspapers, whether privately or government-owned, the world over are tool for passing on a guided message, a minimum level of objectivity is still expected from a seriosu paper. Sun also falls below professional minimu. maybe the paper should be named ANTI-PDP  or KALU news.
Re: Nigerian Papers & Their Ideologies by Jarus(m): 5:31pm On Aug 17, 2010
desgiezd:

Compass: Pro Gbenga Daniel, Pro PDP, anti-Tinubu, anti-Lagos
me i no dey read that one, so i no kno
Re: Nigerian Papers & Their Ideologies by paddylo1(m): 5:36pm On Aug 17, 2010
what about vanguard and punch?
Re: Nigerian Papers & Their Ideologies by Jarus(m): 5:38pm On Aug 17, 2010
THE NATION: Pro-Tinubu, pro-AC, anti-PDP, but backpage analysts, most of whom veteran journalists, try not to be Tinubu's boy-boy
The Nation, though not as glaring as the other two, only manages to sit on the line.
They can devote almost half of their pages to Tinubu's birthday or AC convention, but what they lack in news objectivity they have in abundance in fine, objective analyses. In their backpage columnists, made up of veteran journalists (Segun Gbadegesin, Dare Olatunji and self-styled Haruna Mohammed), they have a commentariat you can hardly dictate what to write to.
They are also critical of PDP but at least a little better
Re: Nigerian Papers & Their Ideologies by Jarus(m): 5:41pm On Aug 17, 2010
paddy_lo:

what about vanguard and punch?
VANGUARD: Should I say anti-Sanusi? I hardly read it so I can't comment on their ideological bend
PUNCH: Doesn't appear to have any agenda, but a pro-Yoruba bend cannot be ruled out. Just my observation

(1) (Reply)

Bigb1, Ferari Etc Please Involve Me Too Now / Allied Congress Party Of Nigeria / Ibb Denies Link With Alleged Plan To Attack Christians

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.