Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,858 members, 7,817,542 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:01 PM

This Is Why I Cannot Just Keep My Atheism To Myself - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / This Is Why I Cannot Just Keep My Atheism To Myself (3994 Views)

I Cannot Be With A Man. I Am Half-human & Snake & Have A Spiritual Husband (Vid) / Adeboye On Death Of Son, Dare: I Cannot Complain, Blame Or Question God / Thank God! Finally I Don Port! From Atheism To Jesus! Update* Conversion Story. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

This Is Why I Cannot Just Keep My Atheism To Myself by Bacteriologist(m): 10:54pm On Jan 27, 2019
Because there are people who think it's okay to trample on basic human rights of others based on doctrines.

•There are people who believe children should be taught fairy tales in school instead of facts and people who think it's okay to try and heal their child with prayers instead of seeking medical attention even if it means the child dies.

•There are people who believe witchcraft is real and grounds for torturing someone to death and there are people who horrifically abuse and beat their children sometimes to death believing they are possessed by demons.

•There are people who believe that they have the right to impose their religion 'values' on everyone else.

•There are genital mutilations of both sexes, public stonings and flogging, brutal honorary killings, battery acid attacks, little girls who get set on fire or shot in the face and millions of other atrocities and indecencies carried out everyday by people in the name of archaic, bullshit doctrines and imaginary gods.

THIS IS WHY I ACTIVELY SPEAK OUT AGAINST RELIGION. I CHOOSE TO BE A DECENT, SANE AND MORAL PERSON WHO IS MORE CONCERNED WITH THE WELFARE OF MY FELLOW HUMAN BEINGS THAN I AM ABOUT "HURTING THE FEELINGS" OF PEOPLE WHO CHOOSE TO BELIEVE IN UTTER NONSENSE.

15 Likes 6 Shares

Re: This Is Why I Cannot Just Keep My Atheism To Myself by CreepyBlackpool: 2:13am On Jan 28, 2019
Because religion makes it okay for a father to kill his daughter for choosing to abandone their religion.

Because a 70yr old man can marry a 12yr old girl and people wish them HML because religion permits it.

Because the poverty capital of the world would rather spend billions in building more worship centres rather than help the poor.

Because the church in the next compound won't let me sleep at night all in the name of night vigil and crusade

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: This Is Why I Cannot Just Keep My Atheism To Myself by MrPRevailer(m): 2:13am On Jan 28, 2019
You are also hurting the religious people by imposing your evolution/Darwinism/big bang laws and immoral perversions(LGBTQP), hedonistic pleasures among others, on them.

1 Like

Re: This Is Why I Cannot Just Keep My Atheism To Myself by hakeem4(m): 3:33am On Jan 28, 2019
MrPRevailer:
You are also hurting the religious people by imposing your evolution laws and immoral perversions, among others, on them.
I don’t think he’s hurting any religious group. Because most religious groups work based on faith and believe systems while the OP works based on evidence. So I think he’s right to tell the theist that “this is the way the world works , the world doesn’t work the way you think it should”

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: This Is Why I Cannot Just Keep My Atheism To Myself by rekinomtla(m): 4:34am On Jan 28, 2019
The problem is atheists often misrepresent and lie about the religions they criticized.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: This Is Why I Cannot Just Keep My Atheism To Myself by hakeem4(m): 7:02am On Jan 28, 2019
Can you please explain
rekinomtla:
The problem is atheists often misrepresent and lie about the religions they criticized.

1 Like

Re: This Is Why I Cannot Just Keep My Atheism To Myself by rekinomtla(m): 7:39am On Jan 28, 2019
hakeem4:
Can you please explain

See the link I provided in post.
Re: This Is Why I Cannot Just Keep My Atheism To Myself by Bacteriologist(m): 9:23am On Jan 28, 2019
rekinomtla:

See the link I provided in post.

The message in the link is the LIE you speak.

What do you know about the Spanish inquisition?

Atheism is NOT a belief. Rather a lack of belief.

Educate yourself and stop exhibiting ignorance.

3 Likes

Re: This Is Why I Cannot Just Keep My Atheism To Myself by rekinomtla(m): 9:56am On Jan 28, 2019
Bacteriologist:

What do you know about the Spanish inquisition?

I know atheist lie alot about it.

Atheism is NOT a belief. Rather a lack of belief.

Define belief.

Educate yourself and stop exhibiting ignorance.

grin you need to say this to your atheists buddies who spread misinformation.
Re: This Is Why I Cannot Just Keep My Atheism To Myself by Bacteriologist(m): 10:15am On Jan 28, 2019
rekinomtla:

I know atheist lie alot about it.

Define belief.

grin you need to say this to your atheists buddies who spread misinformation.

The fact that SOME Atheists lie about the inquisition doesn't make it less gruesome than it was. What's your point?

Belief in religious context refers to "faith." Which is an "evidence" of things not seen.

Atheists rely on concrete evidence and verifiable proof. One which no religion including yours since the beginning of time has never been able to provide.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: This Is Why I Cannot Just Keep My Atheism To Myself by rekinomtla(m): 10:49am On Jan 28, 2019
Bacteriologist:

The fact that SOME Atheists lie about the inquisition doesn't make it less gruesome than it was. What's your point?

grin that is the point. Atheists often twist, misrepresent and lie about things to make religion look bad.

Belief in religious context refers to "faith." Which is an "evidence" of things not seen.

What does "belief" mean outside of the religious context?

Atheists rely on concrete evidence and verifiable proof. One which no religion including yours since the beginning of time has never been able to provide

grin
Re: This Is Why I Cannot Just Keep My Atheism To Myself by Nobody: 11:21am On Jan 28, 2019
Bacteriologist:
Because there are people who think it's okay to trample on basic human rights of others based on doctrines.

•There are people who believe children should be taught fairy tales in school instead of facts and people who think it's okay to try and heal their child with prayers instead of seeking medical attention even if it means the child dies.

•There are people who believe witchcraft is real and grounds for torturing someone to death and there are people who horrifically abuse and beat their children sometimes to death believing they are possessed by demons.

•There are people who believe that they have the right to impose their religion 'values' on everyone else.

•There are genital mutilations of both sexes, public stonings and flogging, brutal honorary killings, battery acid attacks, little girls who get set on fire or shot in the face and millions of other atrocities and indecencies carried out everyday by people in the name of archaic, bullshit doctrines and imaginary gods.

THIS IS WHY I ACTIVELY SPEAK OUT AGAINST RELIGION. I CHOOSE TO BE A DECENT, SANE AND MORAL PERSON WHO IS MORE CONCERNED WITH THE WELFARE OF MY FELLOW HUMAN BEINGS THAN I AM ABOUT "HURTING THE FEELINGS" OF PEOPLE WHO CHOOSE TO BELIEVE IN UTTER NONSENSE.
You've done excellently well in presenting the flaws in people's assertions about Godly principles and several horrific penalties emanating from RELIGION but there are DESTRUCTIVE flaws in your THEORY!
Humans all over the earth are considered to be intelligent creatures,each having what they choose or preferred to call RIGHT or WRONG. So there MUST be a global educational program on what these intelligent creatures MUST all adhere to as PRINCIPLE,otherwise there will always be conflicts,contradictions and disagreements which will eventually lead to killing one another at WAR!
So if i am getting you right,there should be a form of mutual understanding on RIGHTS and WRONGS!
Well, that exactly is what Jesus of Nazareth came to establish some 2,000 years ago,because according to Him "a time will come when humans globally will beat themselves in grieve over lack of divine wisdom"
Though lots and lots of misinformations and misrepresentations stemming from presumptuous individual and groups of persons has cost mankind so much pains and agonizing experiences,but still i think we all need to go back on a round table to reconsider the teachings of Jesus of Nazareth!
Mahandas Gandhi was not a Christian but after carefully meditating on the documents found about Jesus he concluded "If this Jesus truly lived on this earth,we all can live peacefully if we work hard to live by his teachings"
Now you are insinuating reorientation of mankind's mindset,don't you agree that we all need a ROLE MODEL like Jesus of Nazareth?
Because without a model to mold our thoughts GLOBALLY as your faculty is saying everyone should be left to decide(choose) to think,talk and do things INDEPENTLY there is practically NOTHING to be done about PEOPLE WHO CHOOSE TO BELIEVE IN UTTER NONSENSE! smiley smiley smiley
Re: This Is Why I Cannot Just Keep My Atheism To Myself by Bacteriologist(m): 12:25pm On Jan 28, 2019
rekinomtla:

grin that is the point. Atheists often twist, misrepresent and lie about things to make religion look bad.

What does "belief" mean outside of the religious context?

grin

You seem quite butthurt about atheists than realising that religion offers a clear ground for fascistic, sadistic and unapologetically misogynistic views.

You keep making straw man arguments and as such you don't deserve my attention. Bye.

3 Likes

Re: This Is Why I Cannot Just Keep My Atheism To Myself by Bacteriologist(m): 12:30pm On Jan 28, 2019
TATIME:
You've done excellently well in presenting the flaws in people's assertions about Godly principles and several horrific penalties emanating from RELIGION but there are DESTRUCTIVE flaws in your THEORY!
Humans all over the earth are considered to be intelligent creatures,each having what they choose or preferred to call RIGHT or WRONG. So there MUST be a global educational program on what these intelligent creatures MUST all adhere to as PRINCIPLE,otherwise there will always be conflicts,contradictions and disagreements which will eventually lead to killing one another at WAR!
So if i am getting you right,there should be a form of mutual understanding on RIGHTS and WRONGS!
Well, that exactly is what Jesus of Nazareth came to establish some 2,000 years ago,because according to Him "a time will come when humans globally will beat themselves in grieve over lack of divine wisdom"
Though lots and lots of misinformations and misrepresentations stemming from presumptuous individual and groups of persons has cost mankind so much pains and agonizing experiences,but still i think we all need to go back on a round table to reconsider the teachings of Jesus of Nazareth!
Mahandas Gandhi was not a Christian but after carefully meditating on the documents found about Jesus he concluded "If this Jesus truly lived on this earth,we all can live peacefully if we work hard to live by his teachings"
Now you are insinuating reorientation of mankind's mindset,don't you agree that we all need a ROLE MODEL like Jesus of Nazareth?
Because without a model to mold our thoughts GLOBALLY as your faculty is saying everyone should be left to decide(choose) to think,talk and do things INDEPENTLY there is practically NOTHING to be done about PEOPLE WHO CHOOSE TO BELIEVE IN UTTER NONSENSE! smiley smiley smiley

While I admire your civility, I do not agree that mankind deserves a role model like Jesus. As he is clearly not vindicated from the sadistic and super egoistic actions the God of the Bible portrays.

For one, the trinity concept means he's equally responsible for the genocidal killings in the Bible by the so-called 'loving' god. And even Jesus has his own case(s) of totalitarian tyranny to address.

3 Likes

Re: This Is Why I Cannot Just Keep My Atheism To Myself by rekinomtla(m): 1:02pm On Jan 28, 2019
Bacteriologist:

You seem quite butthurt about atheists than realising that religion offers a clear ground for fascistic, sadistic and unapologetically misogynistic views.

You keep making straw man arguments and as such you don't deserve my attention. Bye.

[img]https://media1./images/ba36503f632802a42e6fda2a96b9edbd/tenor.gif[/img]

grin I didn't even make any arguments. I merely stated that atheists lie. You even said that some lie about the inquisition.
Re: This Is Why I Cannot Just Keep My Atheism To Myself by Nobody: 2:26pm On Jan 28, 2019
Bacteriologist:

While I admire your civility, I do not agree that mankind deserves a role model like Jesus. As he is clearly not vindicated from the sadistic and super egoistic actions the God of the Bible portrays.

For one, the trinity concept means he's equally responsible for the genocidal killings in the Bible by the so-called 'loving' god. And even Jesus has his own case(s) of totalitarian tyranny to address.

Hmmmmmmmmmm
Well that is not how to CRITICALLY look into a matter as important as what we're discussing Sir.
Your response shows that you must have had a lot of dealings with the MISINFORMED churchgoers who has been MISREPRESENTING the Bible for so long!
Let me start by telling you that there is NOTHING like Trinity in the Bible and Jesus is just a messenger of the Bible's author just as i am!
His teachings are not that of Himself but just as the greater TEACHER taught Him He speaks{John 8:28} Majority of His contemporaries also had serious issues with Him{John 6:62-70} but all genuinely sincere intellectuals need to sit together,study and meditate THOROUGHLY on Jesus' teachings to grasp the purpose of the educational program He commissioned back then! Matthew 28:19,20
Re: This Is Why I Cannot Just Keep My Atheism To Myself by Nobody: 2:38pm On Jan 28, 2019
rekinomtla:

[img]https://media1./images/ba36503f632802a42e6fda2a96b9edbd/tenor.gif[/img]

grin I didn't even make any arguments. I merely stated that atheists lie. You even said that some lie about the inquisition.
Everybody lies. Your point?

3 Likes

Re: This Is Why I Cannot Just Keep My Atheism To Myself by Bacteriologist(m): 2:44pm On Jan 28, 2019
TATIME:
Hmmmmmmmmmm
Well that is not how to CRITICALLY look into a matter as important as what we're discussing Sir.
Your response shows that you must have had a lot of dealings with the MISINFORMED churchgoers who has been MISREPRESENTING the Bible for so long!
Let me start by telling you that there is NOTHING like Trinity in the Bible and Jesus is just a messenger of the Bible's author just as i am!
His teachings are not that of Himself but just as the greater TEACHER taught Him He speaks{John 8:28} Majority of His contemporaries also had serious issues with Him{John 6:62-70} but all genuinely sincere intellectuals need to sit together,study and meditate THOROUGHLY on Jesus' teachings to grasp the purpose of the educational program He commissioned back then! Matthew 28:19,20

I hope you're not attempting to proselytise to an ex-christian. Let me advise you beforehand that it will be futile. So save yourself the time.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: This Is Why I Cannot Just Keep My Atheism To Myself by Nobody: 3:07pm On Jan 28, 2019
Bacteriologist:

I hope you're not attempting to proselytise to an ex-christian. Let me advise you beforehand that it will be futile. So save yourself the time.
Well the title of your post reads "THIS IS WHY I CANNOT JUST KEEP MY ATHEISM TO MYSELF" if you are also nursing the same feelings as those who brings their religious beliefs to other but hates hearing other people's ideas it's OK.
I am a follower of Jesus and our own teacher taught us to listen ATTENTIVELY in order to REASON with others! James 1:19
But i want you to know that from the few comments i read from your posts you're never a Christian!
Thanks for your time Sir! smiley smiley smiley
Re: This Is Why I Cannot Just Keep My Atheism To Myself by Bacteriologist(m): 3:14pm On Jan 28, 2019
TATIME:
Well the title of your post reads "THIS IS WHY I CANNOT JUST KEEP MY ATHEISM TO MYSELF" if you are also nursing the same feelings as those who brings their religious beliefs to other but hates hearing other people's ideas it's OK.
I am a follower of Jesus and our own teacher taught us to listen ATTENTIVELY in order to REASON with others! James 1:19
But i want you to know that from the few comments i read from your posts you're never a Christian!

How hazy is it that I, being an atheist, don't have a religious belief?

Sharing "ideas" is not preaching. If you want to engage in a peaceful discussion I'm all for it. But don't proselytise.

You can't USE THE BIBLE as proof for the authenticity of the Bible. Get it?

Oh and I'm guessing you prayed to your God to check his files and see if I was an ex-christian... Or you're simply pulling horseshit from your ass and making another thoughtless generalisation?

1 Like

Re: This Is Why I Cannot Just Keep My Atheism To Myself by Nobody: 3:16pm On Jan 28, 2019
Bacteriologist:

TATIME:
TATIME, you've started again with this cliche tactic you like using grin grin grin. What's sad is the fact that you don't understand how logically incoherent that statement is.

2 Likes

Re: This Is Why I Cannot Just Keep My Atheism To Myself by Nobody: 3:30pm On Jan 28, 2019
XxSabrinaxX:

TATIME, you've started again with this cliche tactic you like using grin grin grin. What's sad is the fact that you don't understand how logically incoherent that statement is.
Oh Sabrina i thought we're through with this and we've decided never to cross each others path,so what again this time.
You're not the owner of this post neither are you the one i'm responding to, it's obvious most atheists can't just watch in silence without interfering when an atheist is having a serious debate with a real Christian.
Are you truthfully convinced that each atheist is in total control of his/her own mind independently of fellow atheists. undecided undecided undecided
Re: This Is Why I Cannot Just Keep My Atheism To Myself by tintingz(m): 3:34pm On Jan 28, 2019
TATIME:
It's a very bad idea to live by Jesus teachings even tho he was a good man.

Imagine living everything and dedicate your whole life to God, imagine how the economy would be.

1 Like

Re: This Is Why I Cannot Just Keep My Atheism To Myself by Nobody: 3:35pm On Jan 28, 2019
TATIME:
Oh Sabrina i thought we're through with this and we've decided never to cross each others path, so what again this time.
You're not the owner of this post neither are you the one i'm responding to, it's obvious most atheists can't just watch in silence without interfering when an atheist is having a serious debate with a real Christian.
Are you truthfully convinced that each atheist is in total control of his/her own mind independently of fellow atheists. undecided undecided undecided
Where and when did we decide that, pray tell? undecided TATIME, this is an open PUBLIC forum. Anybody can post on it and quote anybody he wants. We're all here, aren't we? Stop being emotional grin
Re: This Is Why I Cannot Just Keep My Atheism To Myself by tintingz(m): 3:37pm On Jan 28, 2019
OP sha don't go to Sharia country and be forming Richard Dawkins, na sorry be your case. smiley

2 Likes

Re: This Is Why I Cannot Just Keep My Atheism To Myself by Bacteriologist(m): 3:40pm On Jan 28, 2019
tintingz:
OP sha don't go to Sharia country and be forming Richard Dawkins, na sorry be your case. smiley

States (including Nigeria) that are insecure enough to punish apostasy with death or prison have their own religious problems to deal with, don't they?

So I'm good yeah? wink

Tell me how many first world countries are here?

1 Like

Re: This Is Why I Cannot Just Keep My Atheism To Myself by Nobody: 3:47pm On Jan 28, 2019
Bacteriologist:

How hazy is it that I, being an atheist, don't have a religious belief?
Sharing "ideas" is not preaching. If you want to engage in a peaceful discussion I'm all for it. But don't proselytise.
You can't USE THE BIBLE as proof for the authenticity of the Bible. Get it?
Oh and I'm guessing you prayed to your God to check his files and see if I was an ex-christian... Or you're simply pulling horseshit from your ass and making another thoughtless generalisation?
First of all know that there is a difference between PREACHING and discussing freely with people!
If it is preaching,a REAL Christian won't spend the next minute with you after discovering that you're NOT ready to receive the message he/she brought to you.
So i'm not preaching on social media Sir.
I hope you didn't open this post just for fellow atheists alone to come hailing you for joining their family,if truly you're open for discussion i think we should both concentrate on what you posted. You actually suggested that intellectuals should come together to set standards that will be guiding people of all sort,and i said we can borrow a leaf from the teachings of a first century teacher,so any intellectual will welcome all ideas no matter where they're coming from so far such ideas is relevant to the topic of discuss and BENEFICIAL. undecided undecided undecided
You can't open a discussion and at the same time selective of participants without first hearing their views on the matter and what solution they can offer! embarassed embarassed embarassed
I want to believe you're truly open for discuss so please you should give all participants a fair hearing! wink wink wink
Re: This Is Why I Cannot Just Keep My Atheism To Myself by Nobody: 3:56pm On Jan 28, 2019
tintingz:
It's a very bad idea to live by Jesus teachings even tho he was a good man.

Imagine living everything and dedicate your whole life to God, imagine how the economy would be.
GOOD question Sir,but please can i just be allowed to discuss with Bacteriologist alone?
To your question Sir, dedicating ones WHOLE life to God has a purpose and the purpose you will know when you give attention to TRUE Christians when they're in your neighbourhood for PREACHING about Jesus and TEACHING people the benefits of DEDICATING ones whole life to God. That's the time you should raise this question Sir,but presently we're discussing on beliefs and traditions that's inhuman and causing agony on people! undecided undecided undecided
Re: This Is Why I Cannot Just Keep My Atheism To Myself by tintingz(m): 4:03pm On Jan 28, 2019
TATIME:
GOOD question Sir,but please can i just be allowed to discuss with Bacteriologist alone?
To your question Sir, dedicating ones WHOLE life to God has a purpose and the purpose you will know when you give attention to TRUE Christians when they're in your neighbourhood for PREACHING about Jesus and TEACHING people the benefits of DEDICATING ones whole life to God. That's the time you should raise this question Sir,but presently we're discussing on beliefs and traditions that's inhuman and causing agony on people! undecided undecided undecided
Ok.
Re: This Is Why I Cannot Just Keep My Atheism To Myself by tintingz(m): 4:04pm On Jan 28, 2019
Bacteriologist:

States (including Nigeria) that are insecure enough to punish apostasy with death or prison have their own religious problems to deal with, don't they?

So I'm good yeah? wink

Tell me how many first world countries are here?
It's just an advice. smiley

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

What Did Jesus Do? / Is Deception A Sin? / Voodoo On White People

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.