Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,936 members, 7,817,742 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:23 PM

Aize Obayan Is Dead! Ex-Covenant University VC Dies At 59 - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Aize Obayan Is Dead! Ex-Covenant University VC Dies At 59 (23766 Views)

Sanusi Mamman, Yar’Adua University VC To Girlfriend: You Won't Graduate If... / House Of Representatives To Arrest Father Edeh, Madonna University VC / Ajayi Crowther University VC Blast Parents And Students In Open Letter (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Aize Obayan Is Dead! Ex-Covenant University VC Dies At 59 by TheVictorious(m): 7:12am On Jan 30, 2019
A Professor of Guidance and Counselling and former Vice-Chancellor of Covenant University, Ota, Ogun State, Aize Obayan, has died. She was 59.

Mrs Obayan, whose cause of death remains unknown, was until her last breath, the Director of Covenant University’s Africa Leadership Development Centre (ALDC).

The late lecturer lost her husband, Adetokunbo Obayan, less than two years ago. Mr Obayan, a leadership trainer, management consultant and founder of Adetokunbo Obayan and Associates, died of an undisclosed ailment on August 15, 2017.

PREMIUM TIMES learnt from reliable sources at the university that the late lecturer had not been active on the campus since October 2018, when she led her centre to hold its fourth Covenant-International Conference on African Development Issues (C-ICADI). The conference featured former Malawian President, Joyce Banda, as keynote speaker.

Mrs Obayan died less than one year after winning her prolonged case at the Supreme Court against her former employer- University of Ilorin, over what she consistently described as her unjust dismissal in September 1999.

Her death, PREMIUM TIMES learnt, had thrown the entire university campus, and the close circle of the popular pastor and Bishop of the Living Faith Church Worldwide, David Oyedepo, into mourning.

Life and times of Mrs Obayan

Born on March 4, 1960, to the family of Sir and Lady Frank Imouokhome in Edo State, Mrs Obayan attended St. Andrews, Scotland, for her “A” Levels and later gained admission to the University of Benin for a B. Ed (English) degree from 1979 to 1982.

She attended the University of Ilorin, Kwara State for her Master’s and Doctorate degrees in Guidance and Counselling. And upon completion of her programmes, she started her career as an Assistant Lecturer at the same university in 1986 and rose through the ranks to become a Reader in 1995.

Between 1996 and 1999, Mrs Obayan was on sabbatical at the University of Roehampton, United Kingdom as a Senior Lecturer in Counselling Psychology. On her return to Nigeria, the University of Ilorin’s management sacked her, saying she overstayed in UK. She, however, challenged the decision at the Federal High Court, Ilorin, insisting she got the approval of the management of the university for her time in the UK.

The Federal High Court, in its judgment, dismissed her case, following which she appealed to the Court of Appeal, who, in judgment on March 10, 2005, reversed the decision of the High Court and voided her sack.

The university and its Governing Council, through the then Vice-Chancellor, Abdulraheem Oba, appealed the judgement at the Supreme Court.

But, in its judgment delivered on February 2, 2018, 19 years after filing the case at the high court, the Supreme Court upheld the judgment of the Court of Appeal, granting the lecturer a victory.

The Supreme Court also held that the Court of Appeal properly invoked estoppel by conduct in favour of the respondent as stipulated by section 169 (formerly Section 151 of Evidence Act).

The court faulted the manner her employment was terminated and held that the respondent was denied fair hearing by the appellants in their decision to terminate her employment.

Justice Akaahs said, in the lead judgement: “I find that this appeal is totally devoid of any merits and it is accordingly dismissed.

“I further affirm the judgment of the lower court delivered on March 10, 2005, which ordered the respondents (now appellants) to reinstate and restore the plaintiff to her post as a lecturer and Reader in the Department of Guardian and Counselling of the university and to restore to her all rights, entitlements and other perquisites of that office and to pay her salaries, allowances and other entitlements from September 1999 to date.

“For the avoidance of doubt, the plaintiff is still in the service of the University of Ilorin. I assess the cost of this needless and vexatious litigation forced on the respondent at N500, 000 in favour of the respondent and against the appellants.”

Meanwhile, while the case against the University of Ilorin lasted, Mrs Obayan was appointed to the Chair in counselling and as Pioneer Head of Department of Human Resource Development at Covenant University.

In July 2003, she was appointed the Dean of the former College of Human Development now part of the College of Development Studies. In October 2004, she became the Coordinator of the University’s School of Postgraduate Studies.

Source: https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/more-news/308790-ex-covenant-varsity-vc-aize-obayan-dies-at-59.html

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Aize Obayan Is Dead! Ex-Covenant University VC Dies At 59 by TheVictorious(m): 7:17am On Jan 30, 2019
Prof Obayan was indeed a rare gem, a pacesetter not just in university education in Nigeria but also for private universities and a role model for the African woman. I would forever appreciate the impact her life had on mine and the great privilege of learning under the tutelage of a great leader like her. RIP Prof Aize Obayan cry cry cry

Cc: HigherED, CodeTemplar.

Lalasticlala

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Aize Obayan Is Dead! Ex-Covenant University VC Dies At 59 by CodeTemplar: 7:25am On Jan 30, 2019
RIP Prof. She was a very hardworking VC back then. I pray her family behind remain strong all through this.

2 Likes

Re: Aize Obayan Is Dead! Ex-Covenant University VC Dies At 59 by HigherEd: 8:25am On Jan 30, 2019
I was heartbroken yesterday when I heard of her death and that of Prof Edewor who celebrated his birthday just five days ago. Prof Aize on the other hand was recently appointed to NUC's board and I was just expectant of the radical change she could have brought.

I can only pray God grants all their children super abundant grace to go through this trying time.

And I heard a voice from heaven saying unto me, Write, Blessed are the dead which die in the Lord from henceforth: Yea, saith the Spirit, that they may rest from their labours; and their works do follow them.
- Revelation 14:13

Tribute

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gE9owIHy0Fc

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Aize Obayan Is Dead! Ex-Covenant University VC Dies At 59 by MurderEnglish(m): 9:51am On Jan 30, 2019
What a loss.... We will miss you Prof. Your academic prowess and dexterity, posterity will not forget all your hard work and dedication.

As you transmogrify to another realm, you will walk and never stumble.

R.I.P great woman!!! cry

8 Likes

Re: Aize Obayan Is Dead! Ex-Covenant University VC Dies At 59 by ct2: 9:51am On Jan 30, 2019
a must pay debt owe by all humans
Re: Aize Obayan Is Dead! Ex-Covenant University VC Dies At 59 by Factfinder1(m): 9:52am On Jan 30, 2019
The rich also dies

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Aize Obayan Is Dead! Ex-Covenant University VC Dies At 59 by Tunasco4u(m): 9:52am On Jan 30, 2019
Rip cryMadame

1 Like

Re: Aize Obayan Is Dead! Ex-Covenant University VC Dies At 59 by Baawaa(m): 9:52am On Jan 30, 2019
May her soul rest in peace
Re: Aize Obayan Is Dead! Ex-Covenant University VC Dies At 59 by sexiestharam(f): 9:54am On Jan 30, 2019
Goodbye ma. You left a positive mark for us and we are proud we were under your tutelage. Rest in peace.

3 Likes

Re: Aize Obayan Is Dead! Ex-Covenant University VC Dies At 59 by 9jaRealist: 9:54am On Jan 30, 2019
RIP
Re: Aize Obayan Is Dead! Ex-Covenant University VC Dies At 59 by joseo: 9:59am On Jan 30, 2019
R. I. P MA
Re: Aize Obayan Is Dead! Ex-Covenant University VC Dies At 59 by neptsen(m): 9:59am On Jan 30, 2019
May her soul rest in peace�
Re: Aize Obayan Is Dead! Ex-Covenant University VC Dies At 59 by Kalapizim(m): 10:00am On Jan 30, 2019
RIP Ma, may your light countinue to shine on.
Re: Aize Obayan Is Dead! Ex-Covenant University VC Dies At 59 by BabaAroba: 10:04am On Jan 30, 2019
RIP madam.that is life
Re: Aize Obayan Is Dead! Ex-Covenant University VC Dies At 59 by KanwuliaExtra: 10:05am On Jan 30, 2019
Young, productive Nigerians dying like flies.
Meanwhile, the BUHARIGGER and his family always on medical tourism all over the world! wink

1 Like

Re: Aize Obayan Is Dead! Ex-Covenant University VC Dies At 59 by millionboi2: 10:06am On Jan 30, 2019
Hmmmmm

Life is a mirage
Re: Aize Obayan Is Dead! Ex-Covenant University VC Dies At 59 by Chuknovski(m): 10:06am On Jan 30, 2019
RIP prof
Re: Aize Obayan Is Dead! Ex-Covenant University VC Dies At 59 by bedspread: 10:09am On Jan 30, 2019
O My GOD.... I saw this on instargram this Morning....

That's CU 2nd Vice Chancellor

Not a good News at all....

Toooo bad....

Her face just keeps Coming to me...

She used to be A lecturer in CHD before she became dean and later Vice Chancellor!

May the Holy Spirit Comfort her beautiful children and Family

3 Likes

Re: Aize Obayan Is Dead! Ex-Covenant University VC Dies At 59 by oboy81: 10:09am On Jan 30, 2019
She set
Re: Aize Obayan Is Dead! Ex-Covenant University VC Dies At 59 by sagitariusbaby(m): 10:10am On Jan 30, 2019
She was a great woman in all sense of it. May God grant her soul eternal rest
Re: Aize Obayan Is Dead! Ex-Covenant University VC Dies At 59 by LibrarianD: 10:13am On Jan 30, 2019
She was indeed a rare gem, an excellent scholar, a role model and a combination of beauty and brain.

She rose above institutional politics to get to the peak of her career, she was made for more...

May God grant the family she left behind the fortitude to bear the irreparable loss.

2 Likes

Re: Aize Obayan Is Dead! Ex-Covenant University VC Dies At 59 by AngelicBeing: 10:18am On Jan 30, 2019
HigherEd:
I was heartbroken yesterday when I heard of her death and that of Prof Edewor who celebrated his birthday just five days ago. Prof Aize on the other hand was recently appointed to NUC's board and I was just expectant of the radical change she could have brought.

I can only pray God grants all their children super abundant grace to go through this trying time.

And I heard a voice from heaven saying unto me, Write, Blessed are the dead which die in the Lord from henceforth: Yea, saith the Spirit, that they may rest from their labours; and their works do follow them.
- Revelation 14:13

Tribute

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gE9owIHy0Fc
sad
Re: Aize Obayan Is Dead! Ex-Covenant University VC Dies At 59 by Nobody: 10:19am On Jan 30, 2019
May God grant her soul eternal rest.

1 Like

Re: Aize Obayan Is Dead! Ex-Covenant University VC Dies At 59 by bionixs: 10:23am On Jan 30, 2019
TheVictorious:
A Professor of Guidance and Counselling and former Vice-Chancellor of Covenant University, Ota, Ogun State, Aize Obayan, has died. She was 59.

Mrs Obayan, whose cause of death remains unknown, was until her last breath, the Director of Covenant University’s Africa Leadership Development Centre (ALDC).

The late lecturer lost her husband, Adetokunbo Obayan, less than two years ago. Mr Obayan, a leadership trainer, management consultant and founder of Adetokunbo Obayan and Associates, died of an undisclosed ailment on August 15, 2017.

PREMIUM TIMES learnt from reliable sources at the university that the late lecturer had not been active on the campus since October 2018, when she led her centre to hold its fourth Covenant-International Conference on African Development Issues (C-ICADI). The conference featured former Malawian President, Joyce Banda, as keynote speaker. RIP ma

Mrs Obayan died less than one year after winning her prolonged case at the Supreme Court against her former employer- University of Ilorin, over what she consistently described as her unjust dismissal in September 1999.

Her death, PREMIUM TIMES learnt, had thrown the entire university campus, and the close circle of the popular pastor and Bishop of the Living Faith Church Worldwide, David Oyedepo, into mourning.

Life and times of Mrs Obayan

Born on March 4, 1960, to the family of Sir and Lady Frank Imouokhome in Edo State, Mrs Obayan attended St. Andrews, Scotland, for her “A” Levels and later gained admission to the University of Benin for a B. Ed (English) degree from 1979 to 1982.

She attended the University of Ilorin, Kwara State for her Master’s and Doctorate degrees in Guidance and Counselling. And upon completion of her programmes, she started her career as an Assistant Lecturer at the same university in 1986 and rose through the ranks to become a Reader in 1995.

Between 1996 and 1999, Mrs Obayan was on sabbatical at the University of Roehampton, United Kingdom as a Senior Lecturer in Counselling Psychology. On her return to Nigeria, the University of Ilorin’s management sacked her, saying she overstayed in UK. She, however, challenged the decision at the Federal High Court, Ilorin, insisting she got the approval of the management of the university for her time in the UK.

The Federal High Court, in its judgment, dismissed her case, following which she appealed to the Court of Appeal, who, in judgment on March 10, 2005, reversed the decision of the High Court and voided her sack.

The university and its Governing Council, through the then Vice-Chancellor, Abdulraheem Oba, appealed the judgement at the Supreme Court.

But, in its judgment delivered on February 2, 2018, 19 years after filing the case at the high court, the Supreme Court upheld the judgment of the Court of Appeal, granting the lecturer a victory.

The Supreme Court also held that the Court of Appeal properly invoked estoppel by conduct in favour of the respondent as stipulated by section 169 (formerly Section 151 of Evidence Act).

The court faulted the manner her employment was terminated and held that the respondent was denied fair hearing by the appellants in their decision to terminate her employment.

Justice Akaahs said, in the lead judgement: “I find that this appeal is totally devoid of any merits and it is accordingly dismissed.

“I further affirm the judgment of the lower court delivered on March 10, 2005, which ordered the respondents (now appellants) to reinstate and restore the plaintiff to her post as a lecturer and Reader in the Department of Guardian and Counselling of the university and to restore to her all rights, entitlements and other perquisites of that office and to pay her salaries, allowances and other entitlements from September 1999 to date.

“For the avoidance of doubt, the plaintiff is still in the service of the University of Ilorin. I assess the cost of this needless and vexatious litigation forced on the respondent at N500, 000 in favour of the respondent and against the appellants.”

Meanwhile, while the case against the University of Ilorin lasted, Mrs Obayan was appointed to the Chair in counselling and as Pioneer Head of Department of Human Resource Development at Covenant University.

In July 2003, she was appointed the Dean of the former College of Human Development now part of the College of Development Studies. In October 2004, she became the Coordinator of the University’s School of Postgraduate Studies.

Source: https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/more-news/308790-ex-covenant-varsity-vc-aize-obayan-dies-at-59.html
Re: Aize Obayan Is Dead! Ex-Covenant University VC Dies At 59 by lexy2014: 10:34am On Jan 30, 2019
TheVictorious:

Oh dear...what an amazing lady. A trail blazer in her own right.

Meanwhile, how can they b judging one case 4 19years? Our processes are damn too slow

2 Likes

Re: Aize Obayan Is Dead! Ex-Covenant University VC Dies At 59 by StUriah(m): 10:38am On Jan 30, 2019
I met her once. I and a business partner went to present a proposal to her husband @ the Convenant University Conference Centre in 2008 and after our meeting with the her late husband her husband called her to come around to pick him and she drove down immediately. I observed in her a very humble person, so respectful and loyal to her husband despite been the Vice Chancellor of that glorious university.

May her gentle soul and that of her husband rest in perfect peace.

6 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

Latest About Admission In Rufus Giwa Polytechnic Owo / University Of Abuja Catholic Students Staging The Crucifixion Of Jesus Christ / ASUU To FG: Universities Will Be Shut Down Again Over Non-Payment Of Salaries

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.