Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,972 members, 7,817,856 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:19 PM

Multiple Auto Accident: Jonathan Orders Investigation - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Multiple Auto Accident: Jonathan Orders Investigation (1120 Views)

President Buhari Orders Investigation Into Benue Killings / Gov. Oshiomole Orders Investigation Into Death Of Hotel Staff In Police Custody / Jonathan Orders CBN To Stop N5,000 Note Plan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Multiple Auto Accident: Jonathan Orders Investigation by Nobody: 7:40pm On Aug 18, 2010
[size=28pt]Multiple Auto Accident: Jonathan orders investigation
[/size]

PRESIDENT Goodluck Jonathan has ordered an investigation into the multiple accidents which led to the death of many commuters in Lagos, Sunday.
He also promised that steps would be taken to ensure that the incident did not reoccur.
In an entry on his Facebook posting, President Jonathan expressed condolences to relatives of those who lost their lives and prayed for the repose of the souls of those who died said the incidence deserved action and not words.
This came just as the outgoing president of the Nigerian Bar Association, NBA, Chief Olarotimi Akeredolu, SAN, urged the Federal Government to check excesses of the police at checkpoints.

He stated: “My heart goes out to the victims. I do pray for them that their souls rest in peace. I do not want to say much because this is a sad incidence that requires action rather than words, but suffice to say that I have ordered an investigation into the circumstances that led to this avoidable disaster with a view to taking action to ensure that as much as is humanly possible this type of scenario does not reoccur.”
The posting which attracted more than 900 reactions drew commendations from some while others condemned the frequent ‘condolences’ from the Presidency without any concrete steps being taken to remedy the situation.

Haruna Ibrahim in his reaction said: This is a good move so far, but there are many of such which are caused by the nature of the bad road. Please sir try and look into our roads and put them into consideration.”
Nnamdi in his posting said: “The question is ‘how much more condolence will you send?’ These men (police officers) are given financial targets by their superiors and they don’t have an option than to obey and carry out.

“Could you imagine that the DPO of Dolphin police station gave his men a target to arrest 100 okadas (motor bikes) for this month of August. I heard this because my despatch rider was arrested for no just cause. To put an end to all these excesses from the police force, I suggest that state commissioners of police, with their DPOs, be either removed or demoted should any atrocities be committed in their jurisdiction.
Akeredolu tasks FG on police excesses

Meanwhile, out-going president of the Nigerian Bar Association, NBA, Chief Olarotimi Akeredolu, SAN, has urged the Federal Government to urgently take steps to check police excesses at checkpoints.
Akeredolu who was speaking against the background of deaths recorded on the Lagos-Ibadan expressway accident on Sunday, said a quick intervention would ensure that their illegalities did not continue to consume the lives of Nigerians.
Speaking in Lagos, while briefing newsmen on activities for the forthcoming Annual General Conference of the association billed for Kaduna State next week, Akeredolu said: “There must be training for members of the Police Force and it is very fundamental. It appears that the police at the check points cannot respond to urgent issues, as they are more interested in what they get from people plying the roads.

“The Inspector General of Police had said we no longer have checkpoints, that what we have are stop and search. If we have stop and search, it should not lead to the pile up of vehicles on the roads. I have had to complain to the police at one of the check points after spending about 30 minutes on the queue and a policeman shouted at me that I want to teach them their job.
“The situation where police use their vehicles or other objects to block major roads, leaving just a small space for vehicles to pass through is never seen in any other part of the country, which is why the Federal Government must do something urgent to avoid needless deaths on our roads on account of these police checkpoints.

“The so called checkpoints is even more of a business to the policemen on the roads and nothing more. I heard they no longer collect N20, but N50 and N100. If they want to check vehicles, they should clear the vehicle off the road and not block the roads with the vehicles they are checking.
“In other societies, police drive in their patrol vans and stop suspicious vehicles and not stop all vehicle passing the road. Government must do something to check the situation.”

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2010/08/18/multiple-auto-accident-jonathan-orders-investigation/
Re: Multiple Auto Accident: Jonathan Orders Investigation by safariman(m): 7:45pm On Aug 18, 2010
GEJ finally said something, what took him so long. These guys are denial, go through Lagos-Benin express and count how many police check points. I recently travelled through the Lagos-Ibadan express and I counted 23 police checkpoints
Re: Multiple Auto Accident: Jonathan Orders Investigation by Nobody: 7:49pm On Aug 18, 2010
safariman:

GEJ finally said something, what took him so long. These guys are denial, go through Lagos-Benin express and count how many police check points. I recently travelled through the Lagos-Ibadan express and I counted 23 police checkpoints

What took him? Atleast he addressed the issue.
He's a bleeping president, dealing with elections and potential riggings, but he still considered the family of the lost lives.

What has Fashola done? No bo Man Utd be his priority?

check point are just ridiculous. . . . do they seriously need 50 police pointing guns at passing cars?
Re: Multiple Auto Accident: Jonathan Orders Investigation by philip0906(m): 7:49pm On Aug 18, 2010
Good Lord r those human beings dat look like roasted meat in dat picture? cry cry
Re: Multiple Auto Accident: Jonathan Orders Investigation by THEAMAKA(f): 7:51pm On Aug 18, 2010
I weep for Nigeria. . .
23 checkpoints?while standing on the road and collection 20 or 50 Naira bills, people are being robbed, killed, despoiled, etc. . .

what do they usually ask for besides money when they stop your car?
anyone wanna answer from experience? 

philip0906:

Good Lord r those human beings dat look like roasted meat in dat picture? cry cry
please! im eating. angry
Re: Multiple Auto Accident: Jonathan Orders Investigation by Nobody: 7:58pm On Aug 18, 2010
They inspect the content of your car. . .
Re: Multiple Auto Accident: Jonathan Orders Investigation by james1(m): 7:58pm On Aug 18, 2010
Those policemen must be brought to book.LIFE SHOULD BE FOR LIFE!!!
Imagine the rubbish of setting up pin points on an expressway.
Re: Multiple Auto Accident: Jonathan Orders Investigation by safariman(m): 8:02pm On Aug 18, 2010
@THE AMAKA
The request is many, I cannot list them all here.
Anywhere from your particulars, DL etc, the car's particular, receipts of purchased items,  VIN number doesn't match, where are you traveling to, open your boot, open your luggages. One of my questions is what is it that the other checkpoint a mile away didn't see that you now, will find?
And if everything is ok, "come dash" us or wetin you bring come for them?
Re: Multiple Auto Accident: Jonathan Orders Investigation by THEAMAKA(f): 8:05pm On Aug 18, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

They inspect the content of your car. . .

LOLOL! wow! SO THATS IT?! so this is what they are paid to do?
okay maybe two checkpoints is enough but anything more than 5 is ridiculous.
SMDH.
safariman:

@THE AMAKA
Anywhere from your particulars, DL etc, the car's particular, receipts of purchased items,  VIN number doesn't match, where are you traveling to, open your boot, open your luggages.  One of my questions is what is it that the other checkpoint a mile away didn't see that you now, will find?
they are just harassing people! NA WA!
i remember on our way to the airport, they pulled us over and checked our luggage. said that we looked wealthy so we should be kind and give them 1000 Naira or something.
there was a small quarell and we drove off. no money was given. LOL
Re: Multiple Auto Accident: Jonathan Orders Investigation by Ibime(m): 8:09pm On Aug 18, 2010
Nice move by GEJ!
Re: Multiple Auto Accident: Jonathan Orders Investigation by tpiah: 8:11pm On Aug 18, 2010
he should order investigations into the state of most federal roads while he's at it.
Re: Multiple Auto Accident: Jonathan Orders Investigation by Nobody: 8:11pm On Aug 18, 2010
safariman:

@THE AMAKA
Anywhere from your particulars, DL etc, the car's particular, receipts of purchased items,  VIN number doesn't match, where are you traveling to, open your boot, open your luggages.  One of my questions is what is it that the other checkpoint a mile away didn't see that you now, will find?

Especially the luggages. I could never understand why I had to pour the content of my luggages out on Lagos street. . . .And why they had to go through them.

Na this same cops go send someone to follow you if they find golds and jewelries etc in the luggages during the "inspection"
Re: Multiple Auto Accident: Jonathan Orders Investigation by Nobody: 8:14pm On Aug 18, 2010
This is what i expected,this is a federal issue.
Re: Multiple Auto Accident: Jonathan Orders Investigation by Ibime(m): 8:18pm On Aug 18, 2010
safariman:

@THE AMAKA
Anywhere from your particulars, DL etc, the car's particular, receipts of purchased items,  VIN number doesn't match, where are you traveling to, open your boot, open your luggages. One of my questions is what is it that the other checkpoint a mile away didn't see that you now, will find?

You no get rojer? Why go through all that stress?
Re: Multiple Auto Accident: Jonathan Orders Investigation by THEAMAKA(f): 8:20pm On Aug 18, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

Especially the luggages. I could never understand why I had to pour the content of my luggages out on Lagos street. . . .And why they had to go through them.

Na this same cops go send someone to follow you if they find golds and jewelries etc in the luggages during the "inspection"
hmmmmm, now that i think about it. . .
Re: Multiple Auto Accident: Jonathan Orders Investigation by safariman(m): 8:26pm On Aug 18, 2010
^^^
And at times, gets in your vehicle and ask you to drive them to the station where your car will be impounded.
Re: Multiple Auto Accident: Jonathan Orders Investigation by THEAMAKA(f): 8:32pm On Aug 18, 2010
safariman:

^^^
And at times, gets in your vehicle and ask you to drive them to the station where your car will be impounded.
hahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!! GOSH!!!!
this is embarrassing. i guess there is no such thing as a towing service? there probably is but so many other things have to be done before that ever becomes a reality.
imagine telling me to drive them to the police station? embarassed embarassed embarassed
Re: Multiple Auto Accident: Jonathan Orders Investigation by Nobody: 10:48pm On Aug 18, 2010
over to Ogbonna "fat bastich' Onovo , winner of the officer of the niger (is that the one? i forget) award.

lets see what bizarre pronouncements our chief of police will have to say on this.
Re: Multiple Auto Accident: Jonathan Orders Investigation by james1(m): 7:29am On Aug 19, 2010
The IG still hasn't made a statement or am I not listening to the news that others listened to?
Re: Multiple Auto Accident: Jonathan Orders Investigation by Nobody: 9:14am On Aug 19, 2010
safariman:

^^^

And how does a person know that they police station is where they're really being directed to?
Re: Multiple Auto Accident: Jonathan Orders Investigation by THEAMAKA(f): 9:19am On Aug 19, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

And how does a person know that they police station is where they're really being directed to?
watch the movie "Baby Police"
i feel there probably are some fake cops lurking around with fake police badges and uniforms.
anyway, you no sleep? na 4 am your side.
Re: Multiple Auto Accident: Jonathan Orders Investigation by Nobody: 9:21am On Aug 19, 2010
THE AMAKA:

watch the movie "Baby Police"
i feel there probably are some fake cops lurking around with fake police badges and uniforms.
anyway, you no sleep? na 4 am your side.
You see, that's what scares me. May God protect us oh

Na this one kain person's fault jare grin grin cheesy
Re: Multiple Auto Accident: Jonathan Orders Investigation by otokx(m): 9:46am On Aug 19, 2010
Nigerians always live in self deception.

(1) (Reply)

This Nonsense Must Stop – Jonathan / Navy Foil Attempt To Blow Up Atlas Cove (Atlas Cove Again?) / Photo: Wedding In Tahrir Square Egypt At The Epicentre Of The Demonstrations

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.