Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,153 members, 7,818,488 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:12 PM

Why Do ECUs/ECMs/PCMs Always Go Bad Frequently In Naija? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Why Do ECUs/ECMs/PCMs Always Go Bad Frequently In Naija? (12692 Views)

Honda Accord 2005 Frequently Shorting Engine Oil & Coolant, Smoking And Jerking / How Frequently Should You Change Your Oil? / How Much Is A Rover 75 In Naija? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do ECUs/ECMs/PCMs Always Go Bad Frequently In Naija? by KunleA2(m): 5:20am On Aug 20, 2010
I have noticed in recent times that lots of people are having problem with their brainbox. Brainbox are not too often going bad here in the US.

I am wondering if there are just careless mechanic or something else is going on.

I just help someone shipped a brand new brainbox (plus ignition key and module) about 3 weeks ago for 2002 Jeep Liberty. He was having problem getting it programmed. I spoke with him yesterday to see how far everything is going. He told me that sadly the brand new brainbox was accidentally destroyed by the mechanic.

The mechanic is like family to him so he cannot get him arrested or make him pay for another one.

Moral of the story: I am shopping for a used one now again. The last one we shipped almost cost a total of about $900 by the time it Landed in Port harcourt.  cry

Felt sorry for the guy.
Re: Why Do ECUs/ECMs/PCMs Always Go Bad Frequently In Naija? by odumchi: 5:43am On Aug 20, 2010
Yes, i too have noticed that it takes a while to find good brainboxe for Jepp cars in Nigeria especially grand cherokee undecided
Re: Why Do ECUs/ECMs/PCMs Always Go Bad Frequently In Naija? by seal777(m): 9:13am On Aug 20, 2010
The former owner of my car sold it out cos it was smoking, i bought it , change the brain box and it was fully sound again to the dismay of the previous owner.

Cant really say what the problem is or where its coming from,may be inadequate knowledge and informationon on the part of our mechanics
( sorry automobile engineers)
Re: Why Do ECUs/ECMs/PCMs Always Go Bad Frequently In Naija? by maxtum(m): 10:04am On Aug 20, 2010
Wiring fault! thats the problem.
Re: Why Do ECUs/ECMs/PCMs Always Go Bad Frequently In Naija? by seal777(m): 11:32am On Aug 20, 2010
@maxtum,
i am forced to buy your opinion cos of my experience with the car after the brain box had been changed, i observe the battery runs down at will and had to jump start the car.

I bought a new battery thinking it was the battery until i discover it  was the wiring system in the car that had been distorted.

I employed the service of a good rewire who traced the wiring system all over again, fix the problem,had all the fuse in the fuse box changed (either working or not) and that was the end of the problem.

I was shock to notice rewires using wires to bridge a burnt fuse, severals of them was discovered in the process of changing  the fuse when in actual sense the fuse in  question cost just N10 each at ladipo and the most expensive ones btw N150and N250.

IGNORANCE IS A BIG DISEASE.

1 Like

Re: Why Do ECUs/ECMs/PCMs Always Go Bad Frequently In Naija? by mishooo(m): 6:00pm On Aug 20, 2010
I think it has a lot to do with our weather sort of cos i had to almost buy a toks brain box last week but was lucky a colleague told me mine could be repaired at Ladipo. I just hope it wouldn't need any repairs again.
Re: Why Do ECUs/ECMs/PCMs Always Go Bad Frequently In Naija? by obojo(m): 8:45pm On Aug 20, 2010
only once it happened to me on an 07 accord. happened after i entered major flood and due to the low location of the brain box in an eod, water somehow got there sad, it was clearly evident when the mechanics brought the brain box out . was still dripping with water. cost me about 200k to replace, no probs since then,
Re: Why Do ECUs/ECMs/PCMs Always Go Bad Frequently In Naija? by bigfather(m): 9:01pm On Aug 20, 2010
Naija Economic situation sef fit make the BRAIN BOX go Kabush ! grin

Several issues to deal with . Traffic Jam, Pot holes all over,Bad drainage resulting to serious floor and Silly technicians who just want to play around with your car ( Trial and error )

The above mentioned too Much for my Brain sef talkless of a car ! undecided

1 Like

Re: Why Do ECUs/ECMs/PCMs Always Go Bad Frequently In Naija? by ikeyman00(m): 9:50pm On Aug 20, 2010
@@@@@

i remember when my car stall just after hitting a pothole on the high way

the mechanics was gona open up the brain box, i refused

the things is my people dey let these people mess around too much ooo

brain box is almost no go areaa if necessary
Re: Why Do ECUs/ECMs/PCMs Always Go Bad Frequently In Naija? by EEL: 10:04pm On Aug 21, 2010
Yep, those Mechanics/Auto Technicians could be so careless and not follow some technical precautions in putting cars in top shape.
Re: Why Do ECUs/ECMs/PCMs Always Go Bad Frequently In Naija? by infolpf: 2:46pm On Oct 15, 2010
I have found myself asking the same questions recently. I think it comes to a combination of ills - terrible/non existent maintenance culture, ignorant and ill trained mechanics and drivers, and really bad driving conditions! In my 18 years in the USA, I have driven several cars and have NEVER had to replace a brainbox, NEVER had a timing belt break while driving, NEVER had a bent propeller shaft from bad roads, NEVER had a knocked engine, NEVER had to top off coolant in a sealed engine between services (2009 Toyota Camry with 7K miles!), NEVER revved a car high to start it, nor revved high just before cutting off the ignition, NEVER had a vehicle just stop dead in the middle of the highway, NEVER had an A/C unit come ON when I step on the brakes, NEVER had wipers start moving when I step on the brakes!! I could go on with this bizarre list, but the point is, I have been in Nigeria 4 months, and ALL of these have occurred in 3 different vehicles!

Then again, my mother has a driver who goes to the gas station to buy 'engine oil' and TOPS OFF old (2 MONTH OLD) oil! I saw him do this once, and in complete horror I asked him why, his answer was that was IHHO good maintenance - that oil has to be topped off twice before being replaced! How could I in good conscience sit there and argue with such nonsensical logic? This same chap also leaves a car with a 'trusted' mechanic to repair 1 problem, which invariably takes 2 months, and then once it is returned, 10 other problems surface!!

There is just no end to it. I keep saying this, it is not unpatriotic to admit that we as a nation are in big trouble and need help. "My people perish for lack of knowledge / vision". 'Nuff said.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do ECUs/ECMs/PCMs Always Go Bad Frequently In Naija? by octar6: 10:44pm On Oct 15, 2010
grin yes weather is part of it, but ignorance and stupidity is the biggest cause of it here in nigeria.
I have watched many mechanics damage brain box buy simply playing arround with the battery terminals  in the bonnet.
HOW:
    by testing a new car bulb using unclothed wired to touch the battery terminals to see if it lights up.
    by testing a new kick starter to be installed using wires to touch the body of the car and the baterry terminals to see if it spins well.
    by using wires to bridge and short circuit the fan terminal, while touching the other part of the wire to the battery terminal to see if it spins well
    and works fine. I have seen brain box of both big and small cars being damaged like this.
The list is endless. You see,when all these are done,sparks are been produced on the battery terminals.your mechanic might think its just a harmless spark, but unknowingly to him the sparks has simply destroyed the brain box.
So when next u have issues to fix in your car be watchfull with what your mechanic is doing.
   Cheers. wink grin tongue
Re: Why Do ECUs/ECMs/PCMs Always Go Bad Frequently In Naija? by biyehalls: 11:50pm On Oct 15, 2010
dont buy tokunbo, thats the answer to your problems.

1 Like

Re: Why Do ECUs/ECMs/PCMs Always Go Bad Frequently In Naija? by VolvoS60(m): 1:31pm On Dec 17, 2010
@ info@lpf

cheesy cheesy cheesy

Indeed the people perish for lack of knowledge. But I have heard worse stories than yours - much, much worse.

I have come to terms with local mechanics - all bets are off when dealing with them, particularly when newer cars are involved. Some of our local mechs simply do not have a clue about diagnostics kits for detecting faults. They do not have the hardware and have not been trained and of course, they can't handle even the most basic problems that crop up.

But it may shock you to know that some of the so-called authorised dealers and service centres are just as bad. At least, with good old Lateef & Kabiru (my local mechanics), I know what the score is. I hover around Lateef & Co. like a hawk whenever i take my car in for repairs - I buy parts and spares myself and make sure they are fitted there and then - i don't want any explanations about how palm oil (instead of engine oil) ended up in the sump. The ''authorised dealers" on the other hand, usually do not allow customers to go into the workshop/service bay. And that sir, is the heart of the matter. I recently took in my car for routine servicing at the brand's so-called mobile workshop, and was lucky enough to observe firsthand all that was going on. The first sign of trouble was the "funnel" used to prevent spillage of the engine oil while pouring it into the block - it was nothing other than a used plastic water bottle, with the lower half sawn off. (??!!). The second sign of trouble was the case from which the oil itself was being poured - it was a grimy old plastic keg. At this point, i got angry and insisted on knowing the source of the oil, its API rating, etc. The best the service technicians could do was show me a large metal drum, more or less saying "na dere we dey get am from". No further details.

Needless to say, I havent been back there since. Very dissappointing. Surely, the sombrero in the oval can do better.
Re: Why Do ECUs/ECMs/PCMs Always Go Bad Frequently In Naija? by Onwan: 1:43pm On Dec 17, 2010
@Kunle-A
From my experience, there are two major causes;

1. Most times when we blow a fuse in our vehicles, our rewire guys do not replace the blown fuse with the exact rated fuse; they simply replace with an identical fuse (20A for a 5A for instance) OR they wrap flexible wires around both contact points on the fuse (these also does not in any way conform to any rating). What then happens is that in the case of a wiring fault, too much current is intruduced into the system (since the fuse wont cut) and in most cases heads straight for the brain.

2. The second thing is flooding and basically water on our roads touching or splashing on unprotected connectors or connections, this does serious damages too.
Re: Why Do ECUs/ECMs/PCMs Always Go Bad Frequently In Naija? by Trac: 8:55pm On Apr 16, 2011
ECU's never go bad. Even if one or two did, it's a rare and isolated problem. People better start taking second or third opinions before taking actions.
Re: Why Do ECUs/ECMs/PCMs Always Go Bad Frequently In Naija? by chyket(m): 10:01pm On Apr 17, 2011
He really does not need to buy another brain box,I have a guy who fixes brainbox here in Lagos .what he does is just to trace the faulty portion and most times just replaces it.I am an auto dealer and he has done so many for me
Re: Why Do ECUs/ECMs/PCMs Always Go Bad Frequently In Naija? by sultaan(m): 11:17pm On Apr 17, 2011
^^^^^

You must be joking shocked
Re: Why Do ECUs/ECMs/PCMs Always Go Bad Frequently In Naija? by Trac: 12:29am On Apr 18, 2011
Onwan:

@Kunle-A
From my experience, there are two major causes;

1. Most times when we blow a fuse in our vehicles, our rewire guys do not replace the blown fuse with the exact rated fuse; they simply replace with an identical fuse (20A for a 5A for instance) OR they wrap flexible wires around both contact points on the fuse (these also does not in any way conform to any rating). What then happens is that in the case of a wiring fault, too much current is intruduced into the system (since the fuse wont cut) and in most cases heads straight for the brain.

2. The second thing is flooding and basically water on our roads touching or splashing on unprotected connectors or connections, this does serious damages too.

First of all, I find it hard to believe a person would replace a 5amp for a 20amp.  I'll give you the benefit of the doubt because no matter how much you idiotproof something, an unfit person will still be made out of it.  Where the logic I cannot understand is how an ECU gets bricked.  No matter how much you circumvent anything, there is still the semi-boss before you get to the ECU.  By the time you begin to fool around at this level, all systems have been shut down and operations halted till it is fixed.  There are still other mini-bosses but this semi is impossible to bypass and then blow the ECU.  It is called the OVP.  By the time matters get to the OVP, you are having serious issues already because there will be symptoms but the root will have to be sought after.

VolvoS60:

@ info@lpf   

cheesy  cheesy  cheesy

Indeed the people perish for lack of knowledge. But I have heard worse stories than yours - much, much worse.

I have come to terms with local mechanics - all bets are off when dealing with them, particularly when newer cars are involved. Some of our local mechs simply do not have a clue about diagnostics kits for detecting faults. They do not have the hardware and have not been trained and of course, they can't handle even the most basic problems that crop up.

But it may shock you to know that some of the so-called authorised dealers and service centres are just as bad. At least, with good old Lateef & Kabiru (my local mechanics), I know what the score is. I hover around Lateef & Co. like a hawk whenever i take my car in for repairs - I buy parts and spares myself and make sure they are fitted there and then - i don't want any explanations about how palm oil (instead of engine oil) ended up in the sump. The ''authorised dealers" on the other hand, usually do not allow customers to go into the workshop/service bay. And that sir, is the heart of the matter. I recently took in my car for routine servicing at the brand's so-called mobile workshop, and was lucky enough to observe firsthand all that was going on. The first sign of trouble was the "funnel" used to prevent spillage of the engine oil while pouring it into the block - it was nothing other than a used plastic water bottle, with the lower half sawn off. (??!!). The second sign of trouble was the case from which the oil itself was being poured - it was a grimy old plastic keg. At this point, i got angry and insisted on knowing the source of the oil, its API rating, etc. The best the service technicians could do was show me a large metal drum, more or less saying "na dere we dey get am from". No further details.

Needless to say, I havent been back there since.  Very dissappointing. Surely, the sombrero in the oval can do better.

The dealers are the worst.  They sell you parts by function and not by name.  This way, it sounds like a complicated part-gone-wrong.  In some cases, they don't even replace the parts paid for.  There is a 20/20 show on a particular dealership exposed.  Unknown to them, a camera was equipped.  If I must remember, the least you can do is to mark your filter before going for an oil change.  They understand how to patch a vehicle till the warranty is up and always, their best recommendation is to purchase another vehicle at the expense of trading the current.
Re: Why Do ECUs/ECMs/PCMs Always Go Bad Frequently In Naija? by sultaan(m): 2:42am On Apr 18, 2011
Re: Why Do ECUs/ECMs/PCMs Always Go Bad Frequently In Naija? by Trac: 5:22am On Apr 18, 2011
sultaan:

JiffyLube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiCAJ8ULnaI

Sad! This shouldn't be what we should be worried about. It is the ones we don't know about. Hmn! Nigerians are saints compared to 'this.' In the least, they try in the scope of what they think is best. They actually do some work (including an ECU swap). I don't think they do these for the purpose of entertainment or to make their wallets fat but from lack of understanding and errors in judgements.

Imagine a person that keeps up his oil change status with such businesses, how long will it take before the vehicle becomes a money pit? How long does a car run on fossil oil or the least grade of synthetic oil before noticeable problems occur? The filter is what is scary.
Re: Why Do ECUs/ECMs/PCMs Always Go Bad Frequently In Naija? by TobiAdams: 10:01pm On Nov 06, 2011
Hello Guys,

I have similar problem with my Jeep Liberty 2008 model brainbox and have gotten a new one that needs to be re-programmed to align with the Ignition key. Is there anyone who knows a qualified technician that can fix this?? Will appreciate your tots !

cheers I Tobi
Re: Why Do ECUs/ECMs/PCMs Always Go Bad Frequently In Naija? by kablooee: 10:40pm On Nov 06, 2011
Tobi Adams:

Hello Guys,

I have similar problem with my Jeep Liberty 2008 model brainbox and have gotten a new one that needs to be re-programmed to align with the Ignition key. Is there anyone who knows a qualified technician that can fix this?? Will appreciate your tots !

cheers I Tobi
Re: Why Do ECUs/ECMs/PCMs Always Go Bad Frequently In Naija? by sultaan(m): 12:25am On Nov 07, 2011
Tobi Adams:

Hello Guys,

cheers I Tobi

you should never have to touch your ECU, damage is done on your jeep, anyone who says they can get your jeep working by switching out computers is lying, because if they know what is wrong they won't change the ECU in the first place.

Jeep is not bad its the uneducated people poking around causing all the problem.

You need a DRB Scantool to get into chryslers/jeep system cheapest I have seen is ~$2k.Goes for ~$6k
Best option now is to re-install original box an disconnect battery overnite and hope things work I think ecu is tied to vin in jeep(not sure on this)

I don't know the original problem of your car, but pulling computer is not a good thing.
Re: Why Do ECUs/ECMs/PCMs Always Go Bad Frequently In Naija? by Trac: 3:49am On Nov 07, 2011
sultaan:

you should never have to touch your ECU, damage is done on your jeep, anyone who says they can get your jeep working by switching out computers is lying, because if they know what is wrong they won't change the ECU in the first place.

Jeep is not bad its the uneducated people poking around causing all the problem.

You need a DRB Scantool to get into chryslers/jeep system cheapest I have seen is ~$2k.Goes for ~$6k
Best option now is to re-install original box an disconnect battery overnite and hope things work I think ecu is tied to vin in jeep(not sure on this)

I don't know the original problem of your car, but pulling computer is not a good thing.

You're right on this; VIN is tied to the ECU. Dodge/Jeep/Chrysler, Audi/ Porsche/Seat and the high performance exclusive cars (640, Reventon and a few others). You will get a VIN mis-match error code and in some cases, engine won't turn. This will become mainstream once OBD III becomes standard. The ECU's never go bad. It is a logic controller and not a PC with a hard drive. I have never understood this kind of swap as a means to curing existing issues.

Tobi,

I hope you kept your original ECU. You are going to need it. Part of a mechanic's job is to diagnose and isolate to effective conclude on a solution to a problem. The service you got is "a pig in a poke" or "cat in a bag."
Re: Why Do ECUs/ECMs/PCMs Always Go Bad Frequently In Naija? by kablooee: 11:49pm On Nov 16, 2011
@Tobi Adams:- lets count down to friday when i'll flash your new PCM and eventually start your vehicle, A service that is second to none in naija, IT WILL BE DONE REMOTELY!!!
Re: Why Do ECUs/ECMs/PCMs Always Go Bad Frequently In Naija? by cardoctor(m): 8:31pm On Dec 23, 2011
We are a dedicated team of vehicle repair professionals with a reputation for quality of service and professional, friendly approach. As a locally owned car repair garage with a branch in the UK, we are committed to offering a balanced, personalised car repair and servicing solutions to the residents of Abuja and the surrounding areas. Over the years we have developed relationships based on superior auto repair service, trust and honest business ethics.

"Brain boxes" (ECUs), wether for the transmission or engine, are made up of very delicate electronic components. These include diodes, capacitors, resistors, EP ROMs etc. Static electricity, extreme temperatures, magnetic fields or shock could easily damage these components hence manufacturers house them in protective boxes in order to ensure their safety and integrity. Other causes of damage could also be from short circuiting or power surge or flooding. This is one of the most popular causes for ECU damage here in Nigeria.

Most mechanics or car owners are not able to simply identify the negative and positive terminals on a battery and would proceed to put on the terminal leads on the wrong terminal of the battery heads. Wrong polarisation of the battery terminals could result in serious damage to the ECU that could adversely affect the operations of the engine or transmission.

On certain modern cars, the seemingly simple act of replacing a battery or jump starting from another car without following the instructions on the right procedure could result in a catastrophic failure of the ECU.

Mechanics and "rewires" seem to derive so much joy, probably as a show of talent, in using conductive materials, from wires to even spanners to bridge the terminals of a car battery, letting off sparks in order to ascertain battery strenght. WRONG. VERY WRONG.

If this is done with the terminals connected to the car, then be very sure that you will be heading for the gallows with that car.

With this result, the car may develop all kinds of operational problems. Eventually, when all attempts fail in rectifying the anomaly, the suggestion to have the ECU replaced now comes up.

Sometimes, this may be rectified by simply flashing the ECU (if you have the device to do so), repairing or outright replacement if the ECU has been badly fried.

Car-Doctor.
Re: Why Do ECUs/ECMs/PCMs Always Go Bad Frequently In Naija? by sultaan(m): 9:10pm On Dec 23, 2011
kablooee:

@Tobi Adams:- lets count down to friday when i'll flash your new PCM and eventually start your vehicle, A service that is second to none in naija, IT WILL BE DONE REMOTELY!!!

Let me guess, it wasn't fixed.

any update?
Re: Why Do ECUs/ECMs/PCMs Always Go Bad Frequently In Naija? by auhanson(m): 3:53pm On Nov 01, 2012
chyket: He really does not need to buy another brain box,I have a guy who fixes brainbox here in Lagos .what he does is just to trace the faulty portion and most times just replaces it.I am an auto dealer and he has done so many for me

Chyket, pls can u refer the guy to me, his number and name? Let me send someone there with my brainbox, thanks
Re: Why Do ECUs/ECMs/PCMs Always Go Bad Frequently In Naija? by kuntash: 8:19am On Nov 02, 2012
Incompetent Electricians doing their try n error stuff. 98.9% the reason..
Re: Why Do ECUs/ECMs/PCMs Always Go Bad Frequently In Naija? by pek(m): 10:41am On Nov 02, 2012
obojo: only once it happened to me on an 07 accord. happened after i entered major flood and due to the low location of the brain box in an eod, water somehow got there sad, it was clearly evident when the mechanics brought the brain box out . was still dripping with water. cost me about 200k to replace, no probs since then,
is this a mistake or what? 200k for that ECU is a complete ripoff.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Reasons Why Your Car Loses Power While Driving / Audi S8 (AHC) 4,2L V8 32V Into Audi A4 B5 1,8T Sport. / Transmission Fluid Or Gear Oil In Radiator

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.