Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,617 members, 7,816,540 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:52 PM

Chimamanda Adichie Speaks On Social Media, Donald Trump, And Feminism - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Chimamanda Adichie Speaks On Social Media, Donald Trump, And Feminism (13582 Views)

Chimamanda Adichie: Don't Use Feminism To Justify Your Wickedness / Chimamanda Adichie Speaks Pidgin English, Reveals What Feminism Means To Her / Chimamanda Adichie: I Was Sexually Harassed By Media Man Who Squeezed My Breast (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Chimamanda Adichie Speaks On Social Media, Donald Trump, And Feminism by realmedia(f): 6:51pm On Feb 04, 2019
Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie sat down for an interview with FRANCE 24 and she shared her thoughts on topics such as social media, Donald Trump and feminism.

The Americanah author, while speaking to FRANCE 24's Sonia Dridi during the first "Night of Ideas" in Washington, said the most challenging issue of our time is critical thinking.

She said:

One of the things I find most concerning is that I think critical thinking is imperial.

I think that we have to be very careful that we don't lose sight of how important it is to think critically.

I sometimes worry that technology means that we lose sight of empathy. And this evening I talked about how social media can sometimes make us forget that there's an actual human being on the other end...

I think that the ability to think critially and the ability to feel empathy those are very important.

Sharing her opinion about social media and its uses, she admitted that she is not a big fan of social media but agreed that it can be a good thing if used right.

She added;

I think like most things in the world, it's not so much that it's inherently bad, it's how we use it.

When asked if she thinks that "Trump's America empowers public display of racism" , she replied: "Absolutely"

She added:

We have to remember that it's in this period, in this presidency, that we have had people who parade publicly and they are very open about being white supremacists and it is important to remember that people have died, that a young woman was mowed to death by somebody who is a white supremacist.

"What was your reaction when you heard Donald Trump refer to African countries as shithole countries," Sonia Dridi asked to which Ms Adichie replied:

Oh, I didn't have a reaction. I think that some things are not worth reacting to.

Some things are just inconsequential.

Speaking more about Trump, she said:

I think that the American president is very similar to an African Big Man in so many ways, sort of intentionally and stubbornly ignorant, very disrespectful of everbody else... that short of thing.

Chimamanda added that many women have now been forced awake in the Trump era because they have come to realize that there are many rights they previously enjoyed that are now in jeopardy. This, she said, has made more women become involved in politics.

She added:

I'm very excited about the number of women who are becoming politically active.

I find it very exciting because I think it's long overdue quite frankly, but also because it's wonderful to know that women can now run as individuals rather than running as 'The Woman Candidate.'

In the end, my idea of feminism is one in which people can be individuals.

So, I find it very exciting and I'm kind of looking forward to what will happen.

via https://onecornergizt..com/2019/02/chimamanda-adichie-speaks-on-social.html

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Speaks On Social Media, Donald Trump, And Feminism by realmedia(f): 6:52pm On Feb 04, 2019
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Speaks On Social Media, Donald Trump, And Feminism by itspzpics(m): 7:11pm On Feb 04, 2019
cheesy
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Speaks On Social Media, Donald Trump, And Feminism by princechurchill(m): 7:27pm On Feb 04, 2019
And she's ashamed to talk bout the President of her country and their state of leadership

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Speaks On Social Media, Donald Trump, And Feminism by CaptainGOOD: 7:30pm On Feb 04, 2019
Keep making us proud dear,
May ur haters hit rock of misfortunes since they don't like success

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Speaks On Social Media, Donald Trump, And Feminism by Nobody: 9:37pm On Feb 04, 2019
This lady always looking for donald Trump attention. Donald Trump only respond to important people. You can never get his attention. Try hard bitc h

40 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Speaks On Social Media, Donald Trump, And Feminism by Hunry: 9:42pm On Feb 04, 2019
leave trump alone, na correct jigga

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Speaks On Social Media, Donald Trump, And Feminism by Nobody: 9:42pm On Feb 04, 2019
princechurchill:
And she's ashamed to about the President of her country and their state of leadership
undecided

8 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Speaks On Social Media, Donald Trump, And Feminism by Boyooosa(m): 9:43pm On Feb 04, 2019
Ok
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Speaks On Social Media, Donald Trump, And Feminism by Nobody: 9:43pm On Feb 04, 2019
I agree with everything she said except her thoughts on Donald trump .

She supports democrats so I don’t expect her to be sane while speaking about trump.

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Speaks On Social Media, Donald Trump, And Feminism by bishop4life(m): 9:43pm On Feb 04, 2019
I thought she is/was a Nigerian?
How come she careless about Nigeria but feminism and Trump ish?

15 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Speaks On Social Media, Donald Trump, And Feminism by MrSix: 9:44pm On Feb 04, 2019
Long post alert. ..
I'd read in the morning. ..

I sell USA used Laptops
Free delivery within Lagos only and it's pay on delivery
Details in my signature

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Speaks On Social Media, Donald Trump, And Feminism by Boyooosa(m): 9:44pm On Feb 04, 2019
Everybody just dey survive under the heaven...she's one of us.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Speaks On Social Media, Donald Trump, And Feminism by amaniro: 9:44pm On Feb 04, 2019
beamtopola:
This lady always looking for donald Trump attention. Donald Trump only respond to important people. You can never get his attention. Try hard bitc h

Who is this? Trump will loose his reelection Wooffly

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Speaks On Social Media, Donald Trump, And Feminism by MrSix: 9:44pm On Feb 04, 2019
Long post alert. ..
I'd read in the morning. ..
...errrm

I sell USA used Laptops
Free delivery within Lagos only and it's pay on delivery
Details in my signature
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Speaks On Social Media, Donald Trump, And Feminism by 0koyeeboz: 9:44pm On Feb 04, 2019
First, she was looking for Hillary's attention, then she moved to Michelle and has now faced Trump.

No matter where "those people" are, hawking dey always dey their body.

3 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Speaks On Social Media, Donald Trump, And Feminism by leeikem(m): 9:45pm On Feb 04, 2019
Me:

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Speaks On Social Media, Donald Trump, And Feminism by Fedayeen02: 9:45pm On Feb 04, 2019
Chimamanda doesn't give a rat ass about Buhari because he is just dumb to be noticed.

Buhari endorsing a Photographer as Kebbi governorship candidate

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Speaks On Social Media, Donald Trump, And Feminism by MANNABBQGRILLS: 9:46pm On Feb 04, 2019
What was your reaction when you heard Donald Trump refer to African countries as shithole countries," Sonia Dridi asked to which Ms Adichie replied:
Oh, I didn't have a reaction. I think that some things are not worth reacting to.
Some things are just inconsequential.

TRUE, SO TRUE!!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Speaks On Social Media, Donald Trump, And Feminism by 0koyeeboz: 9:46pm On Feb 04, 2019
Fedayeen02:
Chimamanda doesn't give a rat ads about Buhari because he is just dumb to be noticed.

Buhari endorsing a Photographer as Kebbi governorship candidate

Same way Chinua Ashebe didn't reckon with Ojukwu and travelled to America fxcking college girls when his brothers were dying in the war.

Nigger said he was a Biafran ambassador.

4 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Speaks On Social Media, Donald Trump, And Feminism by hucienda: 9:46pm On Feb 04, 2019
The western liberal order that thrives mainly on identity politics has found a willing poster girl.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Speaks On Social Media, Donald Trump, And Feminism by Fedayeen02: 9:47pm On Feb 04, 2019
0koyeeboz:
First, she was looking for Hillary's attention, then she moved to Michelle and has now faced Trump.

No matter where "those people" are, hawking dey always dey their body.
Pray to be as important as her sandals

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Speaks On Social Media, Donald Trump, And Feminism by Fedayeen02: 9:48pm On Feb 04, 2019
0koyeeboz:

Same way Chinua Ashebe didn't reckon with Ojukwu and travelled to America fxcking college girls when his brothers were dying in the war.

Nigger said he was a Biafran ambassador.
0koyeeboz:

Chinua Achebe used toothpick is worth more than everything you can ever dream of

10 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Speaks On Social Media, Donald Trump, And Feminism by 0koyeeboz: 9:48pm On Feb 04, 2019
Fedayeen02:
Pray to be as important as her sandals

Direct that prayer to your father, he needs it more.

8 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Speaks On Social Media, Donald Trump, And Feminism by EHI9ICE(m): 9:48pm On Feb 04, 2019
grin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Speaks On Social Media, Donald Trump, And Feminism by OkpaNsukkaisBae(m): 9:48pm On Feb 04, 2019
I disagree with you... Trump is absolutely right. We know you are a liberal Democrat. Nothing for you,, Hilary and crooked Nancy Pelosi.

7 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Speaks On Social Media, Donald Trump, And Feminism by Fedayeen02: 9:49pm On Feb 04, 2019
0koyeeboz:

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Speaks On Social Media, Donald Trump, And Feminism by Nobody: 9:49pm On Feb 04, 2019
grin

Feminist wey de husband house.

2 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Speaks On Social Media, Donald Trump, And Feminism by Fedayeen02: 9:50pm On Feb 04, 2019
0koyeeboz:

Why are you in pains

3 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Speaks On Social Media, Donald Trump, And Feminism by 0koyeeboz: 9:51pm On Feb 04, 2019
Fedayeen02:
Why are you in pains

I like your picture. You look like leftover food.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

NAME The Nairalanders Writers And Their Stories That Made U Read All Night / When Dead Souls Break Hell Gates / Novel: "The Prince And The Poor Girl"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.