Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,892 members, 7,821,114 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 08:24 AM

Formatting A SIM Card - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Formatting A SIM Card (18537 Views)

“1million Lines Disconnected In SIM Card Revalidation Exercise” – NCC / How To Recover Whatsapp Chat History After Formatting Or Changing Phone / 58-year-old Wins N1m In Glo Promo, Weeps, Smashes Sim Card Of Another Network (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Formatting A SIM Card by bimbor(m): 7:43am On Apr 22, 2007
Software experts, please does anyone know how I can format my sim card?
Re: Formatting A SIM Card by Seun(m): 9:50am On Apr 22, 2007
Why would you want to format your SIM card? Are you sure it's not stolen?
Re: Formatting A SIM Card by bimbor(m): 11:55am On Apr 22, 2007
i just thought it was possible to clear the SIM because I've been trying to activate it for GPRS to no luck.
Re: Formatting A SIM Card by ctnels(m): 11:57am On Apr 22, 2007
I hope you ain't saying your sim has a virus. I know of a friend whose sim got corrupt after trying to download something into his phone. And currently as am speaking, if he inserts his sim into your phone and make an atempt to browse through you phone, your phone just ceases. It would not off/on and would require you flash your phone before it starts working normal.
Re: Formatting A SIM Card by ctnels(m): 12:05pm On Apr 22, 2007
Bimbor which of the network do you use let me see if i can help you with the configuration? am currently browsing via my mobile phone.
Re: Formatting A SIM Card by ctnels(m): 12:14pm On Apr 22, 2007
Bimbor, am going out of this room so if you care for that help you can holla me on 08085411112/08077316036. It is a complete help and you can be assured of your browsing in less than two minutes.
Re: Formatting A SIM Card by bimbor(m): 3:02pm On Apr 22, 2007
well i dont think its a virus.every other thing works but d gprs activation.ive given it several shots.i was browsing wt d line b4 it was disconnected in jan now its not reconnecting.
Re: Formatting A SIM Card by Coleslove: 8:36pm On Apr 22, 2007
ctnels:

I hope you ain't saying your sim has a virus. I know of a friend whose sim got corrupt after trying to download something into his phone. And currently as am speaking, if he inserts his sim into your phone and make an atempt to browse through you phone, your phone just ceases. It would not off/on and would require you flash your phone before it starts working normal.

Aint possible bro. Check your info well
Re: Formatting A SIM Card by Coleslove: 8:42pm On Apr 22, 2007
bimbor:

i just thought it was possible to clear the SIM because I've been trying to activate it for GPRS to no luck.

Don't need to Format/Clear your phone for it to get connected with a Gprs network. why not contact your network providers. Moreso, the kinda phone you are currently using for connecting the gprs matters too. Hope its not a N70 samsung. cos it could be such
Re: Formatting A SIM Card by akara(m): 9:16pm On Apr 22, 2007
You CANNOT format a sim card (me thinks), check your wap/gprs configuration settings and also make sure the phone has gprs capability.
Re: Formatting A SIM Card by donan(m): 10:05pm On Apr 22, 2007
"why not contact your network providers."[color=#006600][/color]
i don't think that will work in the nearest tym cause i've contacted mine for months now but there is no response.
Re: Formatting A SIM Card by adechuks(m): 8:38am On Apr 23, 2007
Hi Bimbor,
If your line is post-paid/business line (like from MTN), its will not browse (by default), just as u can't call International by default until you call the customer care and request to have it enabled.

Is your line post-paid ?
Re: Formatting A SIM Card by choco4life(m): 10:25am On Apr 23, 2007
@ topic
u cud be barred by the network u use if caught tampering with your SIM in anyway.
If u read the terms and conditions it is clearly stated "Dont modify ur SIM"
Re: Formatting A SIM Card by lui1(m): 2:17pm On Apr 24, 2007
hi guyz u guyz dont know wat yo sayin. It is very possible 2 4mat a sim card. if u need help hola 08037000527(Louis)
Re: Formatting A SIM Card by Dynast(m): 12:26pm On Apr 25, 2007
Try ROMblasting if u have the device
Re: Formatting A SIM Card by toksdara(m): 1:19pm On Apr 25, 2007
All this formatting SIM stuff sounds stupid. Once you format a SIM, you can't use it anymore. That is your line, messages (d ones stored in the SIM) and contacts in the fone will be gone,

A SIM (Subscriber Identification Module) is simply a small storage device meant to hold a limited number of messages, contacts, value added menu (e.g. Magic Plus, MTN Business Services) and all the encriptions with which you can be identified by your network to allow access to the Network (e.g. MSSDN or ur fone line number and so on). Once you format a SIM, (I'm not sure dat's possible), you lose the encriptions of the network and u can't use the SIM again, unless you go to the network to REVIVE THE SIM which I doubt they'll do, they rather give you a SWAP SIM.

Concerning the GPRS prob, it's likely one of these conditions

1. Ur fone is not WAP/MMS enabled
2. Ur fone is WAP/MMS enabled but it is CSD/GSM based connection, instead of GPRS
3. Ur fone is GPRS based, but the Network has not activated GPRS for ur line
4. GPRS has been activated by your network but settings have not been sent automatically
5. Settings have been sent but your fone can't save them automatically
6. The settings have been set manually but have been set wrongly
7. The settings are correctly set in, but it has not been activated as your default connection profile
8. The profile is correctly set buy your area doesn't have GPRS (depending on ur Network)
9. The network is currently having problems relating to browsing
10. Ur fone has a factory error

Foot notes
SIM - Subscriber Identification Module
GPRS - General Packet Radio Service
WAP - Wireless Application Protocol
MMS - Multimedia Messaging Service
CSD/GSM - Circuit Switched Data/Global System for Mobile Communication (More like dial up connection, it's expensive compared to GPRS and only Celtel has it)

Chao!
Re: Formatting A SIM Card by worldman(m): 5:00pm On Apr 27, 2007
formating of sim card is possible but i think that idea is a waste of time without achieveing a specific aim
Re: Formatting A SIM Card by ayorex(m): 5:25pm On Apr 27, 2007
What type of phone are you using? I guess somebody need to help you out before you cause yourself a big problem
Re: Formatting A SIM Card by Bossman(m): 9:14pm On Apr 27, 2007
You format your sim card (assuming you find the correct software to do it), also means you wipe out all account information stored on it. So, what's the point. It will be pretty much paper weight at that point. Hopefully you've been able to get the settings you need from one of the posts above.
Re: Formatting A SIM Card by Mustay(m): 10:16pm On Apr 28, 2007
Your number needs to be registered on the gprs network of your service provider.
If you go to celtel's office, d attendants could check it out.
I set d wap settings on my relation's phone but she can't browse unless I insert my sim
Re: Formatting A SIM Card by Ubongp(m): 11:53am On Feb 19, 2009
Hello,
I please need help. Can some one help with birthday show phone in number for Hot FM (98.3) Abuja?
Re: Formatting A SIM Card by ciphoenix: 10:50am On Feb 26, 2013
reading this thread now and LMAO grin grin grin grin grin grin, we've really come a long way as nigerians
Re: Formatting A SIM Card by Francheezy(m): 4:16pm On Feb 26, 2013
can u imagine ?
4matting sim
Lwtmb

(1) (Reply)

Which Android Launcher Have The Best Design And Customization / Tecno Camon Iace Released With 2GB RAM And 13MP Camera / That Awkward Moment Your Phone Is Faster Than Your Laptop!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.