Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,929 members, 7,814,146 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 07:44 AM

Every Candidate Needs Lagos - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Every Candidate Needs Lagos (6353 Views)

Law Requires That A Candidate Needs 25% Votes In The FCT To Be President – Pogu / Lagos PDP Is Searching For A Popular Candidate To Face Ambode In 2019..see Names / President Buhari Receives Fayemi, Ekiti APC Governorship Candidate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Every Candidate Needs Lagos by zakim(m): 5:27am On Feb 12, 2019
Lagos, the commercial centre of Nigeria, is one of the states to look out for in any general elections. To a great extent, the votes from the state usually determine who wins the presidential election, and this may not be an exception this year.

The parties to watch in Lagos come February, 16, 2019, are the ruling APC and the PDP. Presidential candidates of the parties are giving so much attention to Lagos in their political scheming.

In retrospect, the 2015 presidential election was described as one of the fiercest battles in recent times between the PDP and the ruling oligarchy firmly controlled by the APC National Leader, Asiwaju Bola Tinubu.

From the then Alliance for Democracy (AD) to the rested Action Congress of Nigeria (ACN), Bola Tinubu has asserted his supremacy in Lagos politics and built one of the largest political empires in the country.

The 2015 presidential election which was between the then President Goodluck Jonathan and the APC candidate, Muhammadu Buhari, saw Tinubu fighting harshly to ward off attempts by the PDP to decimate his base; Lagos.

For the PDP, it was a fight to the finish. Huge amounts of money allegedly exchanged hands and the party leadership, not seen before, got millions of dollars to mobilise voters for the election.

Unlike the 2011 election when Jonathan secured almost 65 per cent of votes in Lagos, ostensibly after an alleged alliance with Tinubu, the 2015 poll was a different game. Tinubu’s ACN was a key player in the alliance that gave birth to the APC and so the stake was high just as the Buhari candidacy was a crowd puller.

The PDP invested time and resources on winning Lagos. It got to a stage Jonathan was practically shuttling between Abuja and Lagos to smoothen all rough edges in order to win the state.

Despite the effort, the PDP lost Lagos during the March, 2015, presidential election. It, however, won four seats in the House of Representatives, with analysts saying that feat tells a lot about the huge mobilisation the PDP made for the elections.

In that election, Buhari of the APC scored 792,460 while Jonathan of the PDP secured 632,327, according to the figures released by INEC. The result was a big deal for the PDP in an “impregnable territory” of the Tinubu.

The question remains whether the PDP can re-enact the 2015 performance, especially now that it has lost the instruments of power at the centre.

Incontrovertibly, Tinubu who is a Co-Chairman of the Buhari Presidential Campaign Council, is determined to prove a point that Lagos remains his territory, and his target will now be to perform better than 2015.

With over 6.5 million registered voters, it can be conservatively estimated that a minimum of million voters will turn out in Saturday’s election, with the likelihood of the APC getting more votes.

Another factor that may, however, reduce the APC votes is the Atiku factor.

Atiku seems to be very popular in the business community; being a businessman himself. He lived in Lagos for many years as a customs officer and businessman. His friends are everywhere in the state. So, Buhari’s supporters will only dismiss Atiku’s fame and popularity at their own peril.

In the Igbo community, Atuku is so popular and several indicators point to 60 to 70 per cent of Igbo votes in his favour.

The PDP also cashed in on a similar advantage in 2015, getting massive votes from the Igbo in the state. The whole area of the Lagos PDP secretariat and the adjoining streets were practically shut down the day Atiku went to campaign as an aspirant prior to his emergence as the candidate.

He has had two engagements in Lagos: a town hall meeting with representatives of many youth groups and a lecture by the influential Lagos Island Club, which were very promising.

Also, his presidential campaign train is expected in the state on Tuesday (Today).

It is, however, expected to be a titanic battle as the APC, under Tinubu’s control, has vowed to deliver the state for Buhari for the second consecutive time. The party has been telling those who care to listen that the state has benefitted more in the three and half years of Buhari’s presidency than PDP’s 16 years; eight of which were held by a fellow South westerner.

They point to the Lagos-Ibadan Expressway which construction has progressed steadily, the Lagos-Ibadan standard gauge rail project which the first section was recently test run.

However, the PDP also argues that its government resuscitated the rail system which the APC is building upon and that it cannot boast of reviving the rail system.

In fact, an observer asked whether it was the APC train that had been conveying people of Osun State from Lagos to Oshogbo every festive season.

A former Deputy National Chairman of the PDP, Chief Olabode George, said in deciding whether to vote for PDP or APC, voters should assess if there had been improvement in their living condition between 2015 and now.

But an APC chieftain, Chief Tajudeen Olusi, insists the people of Lagos and the entire Yoruba people have decided to cast their votes for the APC candidate.

No doubt the PDP faces a daunting task of repeating the 2015 performance.

https://www.dailytrust.com.ng/every-candidate-needs-lagos.html
Re: Every Candidate Needs Lagos by Binikingdowm: 5:36am On Feb 12, 2019
Atiku will win Lagos state, sanwa olu will win the governorship election.

11 Likes

Re: Every Candidate Needs Lagos by Favor99(m): 5:45am On Feb 12, 2019
Binikingdowm:
I just sent you an email
Re: Every Candidate Needs Lagos by frankfrancis871: 5:46am On Feb 12, 2019
sad

I'm not surprised, Nigerians can never change; I assure you that me and my family are not voting!

https://www.nairaland.com/4995389/nonconforming-insights-onyedika
Re: Every Candidate Needs Lagos by MANNABBQGRILLS: 5:46am On Feb 12, 2019
CONFIRM!

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Every Candidate Needs Lagos by Haymaykar(m): 5:47am On Feb 12, 2019
PDP....all the way....Fearbuhari and Thief-nubu... should go and h**g themselves

2 Likes

Re: Every Candidate Needs Lagos by Seetto: 5:47am On Feb 12, 2019
Binikingdowm:

PDP should forget Lagos.....and focus on nnewi...

11 Likes

Re: Every Candidate Needs Lagos by mozel247: 5:54am On Feb 12, 2019
Lagosian are not northerners. If buhari win Lagos-the most enlightened state looking at the hardship in the land, then there is problem

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Every Candidate Needs Lagos by internationalman(m): 6:01am On Feb 12, 2019
Yeah

1 Share

Re: Every Candidate Needs Lagos by jchioma: 6:01am On Feb 12, 2019
Binikingdowm:

Atiku will win Lagos state, that's for sure. As for Sanwo Olu, I am not so sure, because an Atiku presidency is the end of Jagaban's political dynasty.

1 Like

Re: Every Candidate Needs Lagos by Joevics(m): 6:02am On Feb 12, 2019
Lagos would be 50-50
If you are on twitter or went to last year experience, yoi would know that Apc would find it hard to win Lagos.

Even Sanwolu is working extra hard after realizing this.

No sane lagosian will vote Buhari.
Their latest tanker charade also automatically means Apc have already lost Apapa and environs.

8 Likes

Re: Every Candidate Needs Lagos by gabazin080(m): 6:22am On Feb 12, 2019
Able0097:
[sup][/sup]
u Neva get sense. better go find work and stop fooling around on nairaland
Re: Every Candidate Needs Lagos by bkool7(m): 6:40am On Feb 12, 2019
Joevics:
Lagos would be 50-50
If you are on twitter or went to last year experience, yoi would know that Apc would find it hard to win Lagos.

Their latest tanker charade also automatically means Apc have already lost Apapa and environs.

So a sane Lagosian will vote your established thief ?

Is this not the same PDP that has ruled us in the past? They're even the same set of ppl. Atiku, Odili, Fayose, FFK, Madueke, Lamido, etc.

5 Likes

Re: Every Candidate Needs Lagos by EazyMoh(m): 6:41am On Feb 12, 2019
So in conclusion Daily Trust just predicted PMB victory.

1 Like

Re: Every Candidate Needs Lagos by SugarSpill(m): 6:45am On Feb 12, 2019
Interesting
Re: Every Candidate Needs Lagos by checkolatunji: 6:59am On Feb 12, 2019
Joevics:
Lagos would be 50-50

Twitter ? Facebook and Instagram nko?

Oponu

You will soon be in SIFIA pains

3 Likes

Re: Every Candidate Needs Lagos by Iamgrey5(m): 7:06am On Feb 12, 2019
PDP can never win Lagos

Most Yorubas that vote in Lagos elections are APC apologist

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Every Candidate Needs Lagos by Nobody: 7:08am On Feb 12, 2019
Baba go win.
Re: Every Candidate Needs Lagos by Lotorino: 7:26am On Feb 12, 2019
[aquote author=Joevics post=75644285]Lagos would be 50-50

Their latest tanker charade also automatically means Apc have already lost Apapa and environs.[/quote] so the igbos now own Lagos abi? talking shit everyday. abeg go east and make ur case.
Re: Every Candidate Needs Lagos by Frankyboy1(m): 7:34am On Feb 12, 2019
Everywhere that I go, I see grace, everything that I do, all I see is grace
Re: Every Candidate Needs Lagos by Ajibel(m): 7:42am On Feb 12, 2019
Personally, I feel Buhari will edge it. It won't be a landslide. Buhari has lost so many Lagos supporters of 2015.

The person I pity is Sanwoolu because an Atiku win will make his own contest really difficult and I want he and Hamzat to win.

I don't care if Buhari wins or loses the re-election, my interest is in the governorship election.

1 Like

Re: Every Candidate Needs Lagos by cosse(m): 7:45am On Feb 12, 2019
Joevics:
Lagos would be 50-50

lol.pls ow old are u....ur analysis looks like that of a sec school fella.....apc loose apapa because of tanker incidence...lol.....
Apc owns lagos....tru and tru
Re: Every Candidate Needs Lagos by Joevics(m): 7:59am On Feb 12, 2019
cosse:
lol.pls ow old are u....ur analysis looks like that of a sec school fella.....apc loose apapa because of tanker incidence...lol.....
Apc owns lagos....tru and tru
Keep shut..

I don't argue with the lowest ebbs of zombies. Your ogas at the top are frightened, you houseboy of the lowest order is boasting.

Haba....

But if you can stake your monthly 30k that Apc wont lose apapa, you can send me a message.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Every Candidate Needs Lagos by cosse(m): 8:51am On Feb 12, 2019
Joevics:

Keep shut..

I don't argue with the lowest ebbs of zombies. Your ogas at the top are frightened, you houseboy of the lowest order is boasting.

Haba....

But if you can stake your monthly 30k that Apc wont lose apapa, you can send me a message.
lol......, come march 3, i would personally quote u my friend.....i sure would.

3 Likes

Re: Every Candidate Needs Lagos by OBAGADAFFI: 9:16am On Feb 12, 2019
grin

(1) (Reply)

Meet The Man Who May Unseat Gov.wike / ****2023: Presidential Race Election Analysis & Prediction**** / Obi Leads Atiku, Tinubu In Abia, Wins 11 Local Governments

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.