Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,769 members, 7,820,686 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:34 PM

True Love Versus Respect - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / True Love Versus Respect (705 Views)

Chinese-dragon Boat Festival Versus Nigerian-boat Regatta. / which nigerian tribe respect elders more(with poll) / Respect For Elders: Who Does It More/better? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

True Love Versus Respect by Morayo2906: 3:28pm On Aug 23, 2010
I met my boyfriend 5 years ago and it was instant mutual attraction but I did not pursue it. Over the years we have remained in contact via phone, email and sporadically seen each other at events but because we were both in a relationship, we never met just the two of us. However, it was obvious to everyone that knew us that we both liked each other a lot.

Now, five years later, we are both single and have just started spending a lot of time together and getting to know each other properly. Despite my resistance to get involved with someone so young, It already feels comfortable and right. It is clear to both of us that we are both falling for each other deeply but there is a big problem.

There is a 11 year age gap between us. I am 34 and he has just turned 23. I know many will ask me why I am with a 'boy' and ask him what is he doing with 'Old argo' etc.

He is Yoruba and the only son for his mother and they have a very close relationship. I am from a Caribbean background, have no children and have a sucessful career. I do not look my age and in fact have to carry ID around with me to prove I'm older than I look. He is independent and has his own money so I do not believe that there is any financial motive.

The problem is that he seems to be burying his head in the sand when I try to speak to him about how his family might react to our relationship. He won't discuss it. I do not want his family to shun him because of me but I also don't want my heart broken by continuing with a relationship that is doomed. He is a close to a friend of mine that I have known for 15 years and he assures me that he is genuine but this friend also said that he has to show respect.

I'm just not sure whether to take a risk or accept that the relationship is doomed. I wish I could have faith that he would be able to stand up to his family but he is only 23 after all. I cannot expect him to act with the strenght of a 30 year-old when he is only 23.

Morayo
Re: True Love Versus Respect by thweraja10: 5:20pm On Aug 23, 2010
This is a very hard one. Try to get used to his family first so if they accept you fine, so that you wont lose at the end of the day

(1) (Reply)

How Africa Will Save The World; 1: Laughing Monkeys / Marital Bliss To The Glory Of God / Nairalanders Please Change If You Are Guilty Of This!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.