Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,644 members, 7,809,424 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:21 AM

Respect For Elders: Who Does It More/better? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Respect For Elders: Who Does It More/better? (12409 Views)

Elders Bowing for 17-Year-Old Delta-King Chukwuka-Akaeze I / Colourful Reed Dance And Cultural Celebration That Promotes Respect For Women / which nigerian tribe respect elders more(with poll) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Respect For Elders: Who Does It More/better? by SPIFF(m): 8:23am On Oct 20, 2011
As long as I want to avoid tribalism on any issue but I cannot help on this. I believe the Yoruba folks gives more respect to their elders compare with other tribes in Nigeria. Just a thought anyway. What is your view on this?
Re: Respect For Elders: Who Does It More/better? by vb0mb(m): 10:34am On Oct 20, 2011
I go with d op
Re: Respect For Elders: Who Does It More/better? by AmakaG29(f): 1:03am On Oct 21, 2011
People from Uganda hands down
Re: Respect For Elders: Who Does It More/better? by Afam4eva(m): 12:24pm On Oct 21, 2011
SPIFF:

As long as I want to avoid tribalism on any issue but I cannot help on this. I believe the Yoruba folks gives more respect to their elders compare with other tribes in Nigeria. Just a thought anyway. What is your view on this?

No, you're not being tribalistic. You're just stating your view whether jaundiced or not.

You just have to understand that respect is a personal thing and can be shown in different ways and not just by bowing to the person(i guess this is the reason for you point).
Re: Respect For Elders: Who Does It More/better? by koolJ1(f): 1:03pm On Oct 21, 2011
Op is absolutely right! I also avoid tribal wars buh we cant all be blind to the truth.
Re: Respect For Elders: Who Does It More/better? by Muttex(m): 1:03pm On Oct 21, 2011
you are right my poster, Yourba
Re: Respect For Elders: Who Does It More/better? by lwise(m): 1:03pm On Oct 21, 2011
Yoruba for sure.(ai beru agba ni o je aye ogun,elegbe moni mo beru agba ooo)
Re: Respect For Elders: Who Does It More/better? by marcus1234: 1:04pm On Oct 21, 2011
Re: Respect For Elders: Who Does It More/better? by Nobody: 1:07pm On Oct 21, 2011
Respect is cultural, traditional and for the most part is Earned.

In Naija and Africa as a whole, our blind respect for "all" elders even when they are morally wrong about a lot of things tends to lead to more problems. All tribes in Nigeria are respectful of elders. But where I come from, when an elder goes astray we question him/her. They shouldn't be bowed to all the time. They are not God's!
Re: Respect For Elders: Who Does It More/better? by kluv2(m): 1:07pm On Oct 21, 2011
definitely and more so that is why it's being said that Yoruba has the best culture in the country.
Re: Respect For Elders: Who Does It More/better? by koolJ1(f): 1:08pm On Oct 21, 2011
Op is absolutely right! I also avoid tribal wars buh we cant all be blind to the truth.
Re: Respect For Elders: Who Does It More/better? by Afam4eva(m): 1:09pm On Oct 21, 2011
Respect as i said earlier is relative. You don't tell me that simply because someone bows down for you, simply means that that person is respectful. There's a difference between being respectful and showing respect.
Re: Respect For Elders: Who Does It More/better? by Digriz(m): 1:10pm On Oct 21, 2011
@op,u knw d truth why then starting ths thread?
Re: Respect For Elders: Who Does It More/better? by badmrkt(m): 1:17pm On Oct 21, 2011
i don't give a bleep about tribe,i give respect to any man who deserves it,whether you're from yoruba,hausa,ibibio,igbo etc, fu** tribe
Re: Respect For Elders: Who Does It More/better? by kodewrita(m): 1:18pm On Oct 21, 2011
And yet my brethren will get angry when the Igbo start inflammatory threads.

Whats the sole point of this thread now if not to start more tribal arguments/

Ki se gbogbo nkan lo ye ki a ma fi waja. Gbogbo ojo ko logun.

E ma rora se.
Re: Respect For Elders: Who Does It More/better? by begwong: 1:23pm On Oct 21, 2011
Muttex:

During the days of AWO abi? Now all dia dobale na pretending of the highest order
Re: Respect For Elders: Who Does It More/better? by begwong: 1:23pm On Oct 21, 2011
Muttex:

During the days of AWO abi? Now all dia dobale na pretending of the highest order tongue tongue
Re: Respect For Elders: Who Does It More/better? by oldlord(m): 1:26pm On Oct 21, 2011
am privilage to live in different part of these country. presently am living in Lagos and working in Ogun state. Op i think u are wrong. is only folks dat neva cross SW dat will belive dis lie. Yoruba are d most insulting tribe in Nigeria They can only respect u wen they want something from ur hand or u are in position to define thier income. They dnt find it difficult to abuse or curse anybody irrespective of thier age.
Re: Respect For Elders: Who Does It More/better? by mbatuku1: 1:32pm On Oct 21, 2011
Most of these self-glorying people who have never left yorubaland just annoy the hell out of me.

You think knelling down and prostrating is all there is to respect for elders?

Respect is relative. What you call respect might be offence to me.

You claim you know how to prostrate, right? I'll take you to my town and I can assure you that if I dont put you through, you cant spend 30 minutes with the elders in my community without them complaining that you're disrespectful.

I dont know how you Yoruba people reason. You're the least travelled nigerians yet you behave as if you know the end of the world.
Re: Respect For Elders: Who Does It More/better? by Aladinn(m): 1:37pm On Oct 21, 2011
Go hug transformer, or chop grenade, if u'r angry at d truth.
mbatuku1:

Most of these self-glorying people who have never left yorubaland just annoy the hell out of me.

You think knelling down and prostrating is all there is to respect for elders?

Respect is relative. What you call respect might be offence to me.

You claim you know how to prostrate, right? I'll take you to my town and I can assure you that if I dont put you through, you cant spend 30 minutes with the elders in my community without them complaining that you're disrespectful.

I dont know how you Yoruba people reason. You're the least travelled nigerians yet you behave as if you know the end of the world.
Re: Respect For Elders: Who Does It More/better? by Emmyk(m): 1:44pm On Oct 21, 2011
YORUBA. All the way
Re: Respect For Elders: Who Does It More/better? by Orikinla(m): 1:45pm On Oct 21, 2011
[size=48pt]YORUBAS.[/size]
Re: Respect For Elders: Who Does It More/better? by dinah777: 1:54pm On Oct 21, 2011
YORUBAS,That one is not negotiable i learnt alot from having them as friends.
Re: Respect For Elders: Who Does It More/better? by mbatuku1: 1:54pm On Oct 21, 2011
Aladinn:

Go hug transformer, or chop grenade, if u'r angry at d truth.

Whatever boils your water for tea, mate! Keep wallowing in ignorant self-delusion.
Re: Respect For Elders: Who Does It More/better? by anukulapo: 1:56pm On Oct 21, 2011
I think this is a very stupid question. It's like asking which try is so money monger sorry, conscious, hum, whatever!.

But then

YORUBA.

FINAL ANSWER.
Re: Respect For Elders: Who Does It More/better? by oladapoa1(m): 2:00pm On Oct 21, 2011
hmm. Yoruba! Thats d answer. Abi hw can u choose a tribe that allows a son to kick is father or father sending son to beg?
Re: Respect For Elders: Who Does It More/better? by sebastinta(m): 2:21pm On Oct 21, 2011
afam4eva:

Respect as i said earlier is relative. You don't tell me that simply because someone bows down for you, simply means that that person is respectful. There's a difference between being respectful and showing respect.

Out of point, u knw wat d op is trying to say dnt make it so complicated
Re: Respect For Elders: Who Does It More/better? by Nobody: 2:32pm On Oct 21, 2011
Orikinla:

[size=48pt]YORUBAS.[/size]
Right.
Re: Respect For Elders: Who Does It More/better? by somegirl1: 2:39pm On Oct 21, 2011
good thing i'm from a region where we don't have to kneel (for show) but where curtseying to (deserving) elders comes naturally ,

p.s. se and ss people do kneel, it's just not mandatory
Re: Respect For Elders: Who Does It More/better? by Koolking(m): 3:13pm On Oct 21, 2011
I disagree. Respect is absolutely comparative. It is not a-do-more/better stuff. Respect is respect unless not sincere. Most people exude respect out of timidity which arises from feeling of self-inferior. This has been very obvious among many in lagos in the guise of 'respect'.

make a wrong offer to a yoruba woman selling in the market, that respect she accorded you when you stepped into her shop will be something you will live to regret.
Re: Respect For Elders: Who Does It More/better? by freshcvv(m): 3:27pm On Oct 21, 2011
The same yoruba that would say "boda mi, koni dafun yin o"?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Yewa Land Lagos History (anagos, Eyos, Ogu (egun), Ifonyin, Ije, Sabe And Ketu) / Should We Promote Nigerian Languages More? / Yoruba Girls

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.