Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,127 members, 7,818,378 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:55 PM

The Odds Against Buhari On Saturday - Vanguard - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Odds Against Buhari On Saturday - Vanguard (34838 Views)

Atiku, Ekweremadu, Akpabio Protest Against Buhari: "Buhari Stop The Killngs" / President Buhari On A Condolence Visit To Bauchi (Photos) / Kano Youths Protest Against Buhari 'Pack Your Load' (Video, Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Odds Against Buhari On Saturday - Vanguard by NaijaRoyalty(m): 10:47am On Feb 14, 2019
By Ikechukwu Amaechi

LESS than 48 hours from now, Nigerians will elect a new president. There is, understandably, both excitement and anxiety in the air. Whichever way the election goes, its outcome will be consequential.

I am as excited as I was four years ago. This time in 2015, I had concluded that President Goodluck Jonathan was not fit for purpose and supported the then candidate of the All Progressives Congress, APC, General Muhammadu Buhari.

Today, I have also concluded just as I did four years ago that President Buhari is not fit for purpose and I am determined to ensure that as Jonathan was sent back to Otuoke, he is sent back to Daura.

There are two groups of Nigerians opposed to Buhari’s re-election.

The first are those who ab-initio never saw anything good in him; never believed in his capacity and who perceived him as a dyed-in-the-wool dictator and irredeemable ethnic jingoist. Such people are not disappointed at the unravelling of the Buhari presidency and the sentiment is more of: “But we told you.”

The second are those who believed that Buhari was actually a democracy-convert as claimed, who had purged himself of unbridled nepotism and could actually provide the leadership Nigeria sorely needed, despite his antecedents. I belong to this group.

Economic policies

I had just left secondary school when Buhari shot himself to power on December 31, 1983. At the time his colleagues dislodged him from his high perch on August 27, 1985, I was in the higher institution.

So, I knew firsthand what he did in the 20 months he was in office as a maximum military ruler.

His regime’s warped economic policies, particularly the curb on imports led to job losses and business closures. I witnessed the disingenuous introduction of a new currency supposedly to tackle corruption and the consequence. Prices rose, living standards fell, and Nigerians were queuing up for essential commodities.

I witnessed the retroactive application of a law under Buhari’s watch leading to the public execution of three young Nigerians convicted of drug peddling, a crime that did not carry a death penalty at the time it was committed.

But I believed him when he said he was a changed person. I convinced myself that he would put together a formidable team and provide the disciplined leadership that was sorely lacking in the preceding administration.

At 72, I reasoned that Buhari must have purged himself of every vestige of ultra-ethnic agenda, having fully come of age.

How wrong I was.

Some Nigerians are of the view that in spite of everything, President Buhari will be re-elected. In arriving at this conclusion, they deploy illogical reasoning and hackneyed permutations, ignoring the fact that unlike in 2015, Saturday’s election is a referendum on the Buhari presidency. Try as hard as APC is doing to put Jonathan on the ballot, truth is, he is not and cannot be.

Besides, the conditions that made the 2015 Buhari victory a fait accompli have changed dramatically.

In 2015, Jonathan’s candidature united the North behind Buhari. The support from the South West became an icing on his victory cake.

But even at that, Buhari won the presidential election with only 2.57 million votes, scoring 15,424,921 votes (53.95 percent) of the 28,587,564 total valid votes cast against Jonathan’s 12,853,162 (44.96 percent).

In 2015, Buhari received 2.4 million South West votes, with a plurality of 600,000 over Jonathan. Even in Lagos, with all the noise and the fabled Bola Tinubu factor, APC prevailed with only 160,000 votes.

In 2015, Jonathan ran on his records and failed because Nigerians didn’t think much of the scorecard he presented and Buhari ran on promises, propaganda and lies.

Now, that paradigm has shifted. After four years in office, Buhari will run this election not on promises, innuendoes and propaganda but on the record of his achievements in office.

The simple but important question that will agitate the minds of discerning, albeit ordinary, Nigerians as they cast their ballot on Saturday is: Am I better off today than I was four years ago?

Buhari lost the South East and South-South zones in 2015 when the crocodiles were not smiling and pythons were not dancing.

Things have changed dramatically since then. Today, pythons are busy exhibiting new and fatal dance steps in the South East every year with dire consequences for beleaguered youths of the region.

When Buhari won the presidency in 2015, the Shiites were part of the 15,424,921 that made the victory possible. Before the election, Kaduna State governor, Nasir el-Rufai, led Buhari to visit the leader of the group, Sheikh Ibrahim Zakzaky, at his Kaduna lair to seek support. He was obliged.

A lot has happened since then. In 2015, the Zaria massacre occurred during which 348 Shiites (some accounts put the number at over 1000) were killed by Nigerian soldiers and buried in mass graves. The dead included three children of Zakzaky. Since then, he has been locked up together with his wife even when the courts have granted them bail.

In April 2018, clashes broke out as the Nigeria Police fired teargas at Shiites protesters who were demanding the release of Zakzaky. The clashes left many dead and several others injured. The police detained at least 115 of the protesters. In October 2018, Nigerian military again killed at least 45 peaceful Shiites protesters.

Today, el-Rufai, the President’s Man Friday has exacerbated the distrust between Christians of Southern Kaduna and Muslims in the state.

Benue, a stronghold of the PDP had no IDP camps before 2015. They voted for Buhari, elected an APC governor. Today, thousands of indigenes live in IDP camps in Makurdi, afraid to go to their ancestral homes that have been taken over and effectively occupied by armed herdsmen.

In 2015, the ubiquitous and very powerful college of retired generals that have determined how the political pendulum swung since the first military coup of January 15, 1966 were in Buhari’s column.

Today, many of them, including Olusegun Obasanjo, Ibrahim Babangida, Theophilus Danjuma, Aliyu Gusau, are not.

And some people say it does not matter. Really?

In 2015, the all-powerful Lagos-Ibadan wing of the human and civil rights community were behind Buhari. Today, some of them, including Nobel Laureate, Prof. Wole Soyinka, have distanced themselves from him

In 2015, some of the country’s most prolific and powerful columnists were with Buhari. Today, the likes of Farooq Kperogi, Sonala Olumhense and Dele Momodu have openly rebelled against him.

In 2015, the international community, particularly the U.S. under President Barack Obama’s watch and Britain with David Cameron as Prime Minister, overtly supported Buhari. I doubt if those countries are still queuing behind him today.

In 2015, Buhari contested against Jonathan, a Southern minority Christian with no political base. Today, he is running against one of the most formidable politicians in this dispensation, a man with a solid political base, clout and deep pocket, a Fulani Moslem, from a region – North East – that last held power when Alhaji Tafawa Balewa from Bauchi State was the Prime Minister in the First Republic.

In 2015, APC went into the elections as a united, pragmatic and determined party hungry for power, eager to make a resounding political statement against a highly fractious, disorganised and disoriented PDP. Today, the reverse is the case. A strong, rejuvenated and virile PDP is going into Saturday’s election with a highly fractured, hemorrhaging APC where some governors are not in talking terms with the national chairman, Adams Oshiomhole.

In 2015, it was the PDP presidential campaign convoys that were stoned, booed and jeered. Today, it is the APC. On Monday, President Buhari nearly took a stone meant for Oshiomhole at a campaign rally in Abeokuta.

Yet, some people insist that Buhari still has his fabled 11 million votes locked up somewhere.

PDP has been able to dramatically reinvent itself and stage a remarkable comeback, APC cannot because of its inherent contradictions.

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2019/02/the-odds-against-buhari-on-saturday/

131 Likes 15 Shares

Re: The Odds Against Buhari On Saturday - Vanguard by NaijaRoyalty(m): 10:50am On Feb 14, 2019
Buhari is gone for good

Bad man with evil intentions .

282 Likes 22 Shares

Re: The Odds Against Buhari On Saturday - Vanguard by TIGRITIS: 10:54am On Feb 14, 2019
Ikechukwu Amaechi, continue analysing odds, in two days time, you will still analyse why ipob pigs should be allowed to do their "biafra or death" things.

73 Likes 12 Shares

Re: The Odds Against Buhari On Saturday - Vanguard by Nobody: 11:04am On Feb 14, 2019
TIGRITIS:
Ikechukwu Amaechi, continue analysing odds, in two days time, you will still analyse why ipob pigs should be allowed to do their "biafra or death" things.
Back To Daura.

Cc lzaa velocity25 pointzerom Sarrki

151 Likes 18 Shares

Re: The Odds Against Buhari On Saturday - Vanguard by magoo10(m): 11:04am On Feb 14, 2019
Bye bye buhari
Zombies will miss you

84 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Odds Against Buhari On Saturday - Vanguard by Salvador1: 11:06am On Feb 14, 2019
Even val msg buhari can't send to his supporters

Or does it mean val is corrupt grin

140 Likes 14 Shares

Re: The Odds Against Buhari On Saturday - Vanguard by NaijaRoyalty(m): 11:07am On Feb 14, 2019
TIGRITIS:

Keep giving yourself false hope

Even buhari you're asslicking can't beat his chest confidently that he would win Atiku in a free and fair election the way you just did .

95 Likes 6 Shares

Re: The Odds Against Buhari On Saturday - Vanguard by diadem10: 11:08am On Feb 14, 2019
Lol. vanguard and their ragtag clannish reporters.

Despite Buhari administration earning 60% less yet he's come up with plenty projects such as

Our railways at itakpewarri, Lagos-ibadan, kaduna-abuja etc,

The production of low cost fertilizers,

Zik maoseleum

Baro inland port,

Rice mills,

Foreign reserve increase from #26b to #43b,

Construction of our express highways such as enuguonitsha, Lagos-ibadan etc.

Social policy schemes such as tradermoni, npower etc

And most especially, stabilizing us through this recession which happened because jonathan failed to save despite earning 60% more than Buhari coupled with the fall in the price of crude oil from #110 per barrel in 5 years under Jonathan to a paltry #50 per barrel under Buhari administration yet Buhari was able to keep us afloat while having many projects to his name thereby surprising Ngozi Iweala and Charles Soludo who predicted recession because jonathan failed to save during the time of plentiful.

Sai Baba. PDP, Neva again

30 Likes 5 Shares

Re: The Odds Against Buhari On Saturday - Vanguard by khingTony(m): 11:08am On Feb 14, 2019
back to Daura is a must

Atiku for president

Like for Atiku, (lively)

Share for Buhari (Lifeless)

173 Likes 10 Shares

Re: The Odds Against Buhari On Saturday - Vanguard by psucc(m): 11:12am On Feb 14, 2019
Thank God, the writer did not touch the evil broom or else . . .

7 Likes

Re: The Odds Against Buhari On Saturday - Vanguard by BuhariAdvocate: 11:14am On Feb 14, 2019
Mumu journalist. Uche continue your fake prediction in favour of your kinsmen.

16 Likes 4 Shares

Re: The Odds Against Buhari On Saturday - Vanguard by NaijaRoyalty(m): 11:14am On Feb 14, 2019
psucc:
Thank God, the writer did not touch the evil broom or else . . .

Evil broom grin

11 Likes

Re: The Odds Against Buhari On Saturday - Vanguard by bender79: 11:16am On Feb 14, 2019
The frenzy out there is that APC will loose. However most polls conducted even by pdp sympathisers is showing a close call. The thing is if polls are too close in a developing democracy it gives an edge for the incumbent because of the advantages it has.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Odds Against Buhari On Saturday - Vanguard by NaijaRoyalty(m): 11:17am On Feb 14, 2019
BuhariAdvocate:
Mumu journalist. Uche continue your fake prediction in favour of your kinsmen.

What do you mean by fake prediction

Was Buhari and Tinubu not stoned in Ogun state APC Rally few days ago?

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Odds Against Buhari On Saturday - Vanguard by ambale(m): 11:20am On Feb 14, 2019
But you fail to balance your analysis by not giving credence to gains made by buhari government even as bad as Jonathan was termed it was never easy dislodging him

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Odds Against Buhari On Saturday - Vanguard by BuhariAdvocate: 11:20am On Feb 14, 2019
NaijaRoyalty:

liar.

7 Likes

Re: The Odds Against Buhari On Saturday - Vanguard by NaijaRoyalty(m): 11:22am On Feb 14, 2019
BuhariAdvocate:
liar.

Then I guess you don't have TV in your house

4 Likes

Re: The Odds Against Buhari On Saturday - Vanguard by BuhariAdvocate: 11:27am On Feb 14, 2019
I don't tolerate propagandist
NaijaRoyalty:

Then I guess you don't have TV in your house

5 Likes

Re: The Odds Against Buhari On Saturday - Vanguard by NaijaRoyalty(m): 11:28am On Feb 14, 2019
BuhariAdvocate:
I don't tolerate propagandist

The odds are against the lifeless one, that's the true message

No propaganda here

8 Likes

Re: The Odds Against Buhari On Saturday - Vanguard by ayomilore: 11:32am On Feb 14, 2019
Bro. Good analysis but I beg to disagree with your analysis.
On el zazaki any staunch Muslim will rather not vote at all than cast his votes for any other candidates apart from buhari. His diplomatic handling of herdsmen mayhem is a testimony to this. Come to Southwest and see how they are rigourously campaigning for buhari. I am a Christian but if you meet a good Muslim you will really fall for them they cherish honesty like anything which they believe buhari stands for.

Ottom re-election in Benue is shaky my brother. He failed woefully to manage the herdsmen crisis upon all the billions he get as security vote, this couple with his below average performance in terms of development will likely split the Benue vote though Atiku may still win but with a meagre margin.The crisis that rocked Katsina would have been worse than that of Benue but for the proactive measure deployed by Masari.
On the old rulers who have consistently held this country captive for long they are all toothless bulldog except for danjuma who for sometime now have been calling shot on whom become governor in his state. Obasanjo is jittery of his anoited candidate's defeat and his eventual probe when buhari wins again that is why he running up and down to discredit Buhari by all means but Nigerian are wiser and know better.
Las las in about 72 hours we shall know who is who in Nigeria politics.

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Odds Against Buhari On Saturday - Vanguard by Brazzaville(m): 11:36am On Feb 14, 2019
Re: The Odds Against Buhari On Saturday - Vanguard by NaijaRoyalty(m): 11:39am On Feb 14, 2019
Ok we are watching

1 Like

Re: The Odds Against Buhari On Saturday - Vanguard by buhariguy(m): 11:50am On Feb 14, 2019
NaijaRoyalty:

The odds are against the lifeless one, that's the true message

No propaganda here
the odds are against thief atiku.
Ask the chief consultant bellard,
Bellard was even more right than me .
He gave accurate statistic how ipob will reduce thief atiku vote by 50%.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Odds Against Buhari On Saturday - Vanguard by Nobody: 11:55am On Feb 14, 2019
Another dubious analysis from a biased individual. Well, let us hope we will not be disturbed by "Biafra or the Zoo burns" noise after Buhari is declared winner on Sunday-Monday.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Odds Against Buhari On Saturday - Vanguard by NaijaRoyalty(m): 11:57am On Feb 14, 2019
buhariguy:
the odds are against thief atiku.
Ask the chief consultant bellard,
Bellard was even more right than me .
He gave accurate statistic how ipob will reduce thief atiku vote by 50%.

Which Bellard ?

You're a liar

The same Ballard that came out to debunk the rumour from the stable of APC ?

I LAUGH IN CHINESE

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Odds Against Buhari On Saturday - Vanguard by Nobody: 12:03pm On Feb 14, 2019
NaijaRoyalty:

This is why many now disregard you guys from the SE and dismiss you as sentimental. When you crave a victory or outcome, you will say anything regardless of how ignorant or senseless such is. It was thugs sponsored by Amosun that stoned Buhari and others and not ordinary citizens of the State. Amosun is a very bitter and desperate character with vengeance in mind against Tinubu and APC because his anointed candidate was denied the Ogun gubernatorial ticket. Try to do your research before speaking ignorantly.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Odds Against Buhari On Saturday - Vanguard by boss1310(m): 12:08pm On Feb 14, 2019
we dont have the ability to procrastinate neither is any political columnist but from how this country has been governed under buhari it will be a huge surprise if he wins
1)Buhari is not anti corruption which was the first reason most Nigerians voted him for there are many in his government who have been accused of that crime but he has done nothing,only those in opposition have cases to answer
2)The economy and social well being of common man has degraded on his watch
3)The North are eyeing another eight more years in power and Buhari with his frail health and already gone four years tenure cannot assure them that
4)Nigeria is a complex society and this is where for me Buhari failed the most as his utterances, prosecutions, promotions,appointments and reactions to problems led us believe he is not detribalized
5)APC failed to realise that they are in government and instead of more promises and attacking their opposition they should have been talking about their own achievements. when you listen to them they always sound like a party in opposition even here on Nairaland
APC should have used another candidate for this election,they should have persuaded another strong northerner even if they have to bring him from PDP.

5 Likes

Re: The Odds Against Buhari On Saturday - Vanguard by tmann626(m): 12:11pm On Feb 14, 2019
Guy. What are you saying? you guys will be surprised on Saturday or sunday. Buhari will lose southwest.
ayomilore:
Bro. Good analysis but I beg to disagree with your analysis.
On el zazaki any staunch Muslim will rather not vote at all than cast his votes for any other candidates apart from buhari. His diplomatic handling of herdsmen mayhem is a testimony to this. Come to Southwest and see how they are rigourously campaigning for buhari. I am a Christian but if you meet a good Muslim you will really fall for them they cherish honesty like anything which they believe buhari stands for.

Ottom re-election in Benue is shaky my brother. He failed woefully to manage the herdsmen crisis upon all the billions he get as security vote, this couple with his below average performance in terms of development will likely split the Benue vote though Atiku may still win but with a meagre margin.The crisis that rocked Katsina would have been worse than that of Benue but for the proactive measure deployed by Masari.
On the old rulers who have consistently held this country captive for long they are all toothless bulldog except for danjuma who for sometime now have been calling shot on whom become governor in his state. Obasanjo is jittery of his anoited candidate's defeat and his eventual probe when buhari wins again that is why he running up and down to discredit Buhari by all means but Nigerian are wiser and know better.
Las las in about 72 hours we shall know who is who in Nigeria politics.

3 Likes

Re: The Odds Against Buhari On Saturday - Vanguard by NaijaRoyalty(m): 12:11pm On Feb 14, 2019
Oshigun:

This is why many now disregard you guys from the SE and dismiss you as sentimental. When you crave a victory or outcome, you will say anything regardless of how ignorant or senseless such is. It was thugs sponsored by Amosun that stoned Buhari and others and not ordinary citizens of the State. Amosun is a very bitter and desperate character with vengeance in mind against Tinubu and APC because his anointed candidate was denied the Ogun gubernatorial ticket. Try to do your research before speaking ignorantly.

Pele ti e

I'm from Osun state and yes, Buhari and Tinubu were stoned in Ogun state APC rally .

Nigerians are more than willing to wrestle off the country from buhari led APC governement this Saturday .

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Odds Against Buhari On Saturday - Vanguard by CrestMan: 12:15pm On Feb 14, 2019
Voting for Atiku on Feb 16 2019, is both a DIVINE and NATIONAL MANDATE! And I have OBEYED! kiss
Have you?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Odds Against Buhari On Saturday - Vanguard by DMerciful(m): 12:16pm On Feb 14, 2019
To see PDP this formidable considering they almost went into extinction courtesy of Ali Modu Sheriff is quite remarkable! PDP is now very mature and experience to know that Nigerians cannot be taken for granted and as such we should give them a chance come Saturday!

8 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Eldeethedon Goes Hard On Jonathan, Says His Govt Reeks Of Lies, Corruption And I / I Withdraw My Congratulatory Message To Obaseki And Reject Edo APC Primary / Election Postponememt: It Was Done Because Of Zamfara - Fayose

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.