Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,613 members, 7,813,008 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 03:46 AM

How Have You Been Coping After NYSC With Or Without A Job? - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / How Have You Been Coping After NYSC With Or Without A Job? (33723 Views)

As A Jobseeker: How Have You Been Coping? / 2016 And 2017 Graduates How Have You Been Coping? / Private School Teachers How Have You Been Coping Through This Period? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Have You Been Coping After NYSC With Or Without A Job? by Talk2Bella(f): 4:08pm On Feb 15, 2019
I saw an advert which says “your dream begins when work ends” I see this advert every day to work, I think about it from the moment I see it till I get to the office and it makes me wonder why do I have to wait till work ends before I can achieve my dreams, aside working for a corporate organization what other side hustle do I have or can I engage in? When you start working for a new organization you’re told you can’t have any side business that will make you lose focus from the job.

While not everyone can be an Entrepreneur, with a steady income everyone can save for rainy days. Some of us were lucky we got jobs before or after we were done with our service year others not so, how have you coped without a job? Learnt a skill? Free lanced? Professional certifications? Work for free? Or just sit at home.

Those of us who were fortunate enough to have gotten jobs, are you working the dream job? How many jobs have you had after NYSC? How much have you saved so far? Do you have job stability where you’re currently working? Is your job frustrating you already? Are you planning on resigning already?.

Tomorrow is going to be one of the most important days of our lives, we will decide who will make this country better again, are you for the “NEXT LEVEL” or you’d like to get Nigeria Working Again?

YouTube Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idxZGGBWxnc

Ibeji Isabella

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Have You Been Coping After NYSC With Or Without A Job? by fastseo: 5:35pm On Feb 15, 2019
I finished service since 2017 am already into web stuff like a blogger, although and I have learnt how to make sites appear on search engines and also draw traffic.
I have not bothered sending one CV ever since I just don't want the headech or don't know how to lol. Mind you I have job directory page grin but no job funny.
i know nothing comes easy but prefer a shop where I could sell things rather than hustling for 100k job.

Although blogging has it ups and down but there are times it pays super and there are times it does little be it as it may its sustainable like there are times or months making 600k there are months makes 200 to 100k, it all depends.

Please note : blogging is not easy, an average blog takes 4 to 5 months to bring anything tangible. And you must have a clear path as in good content that should not be plagiarism like you going over pages to copy and paste... I mean real information resource page.

Edited
Pix attached

Everyone must not be a Lindaikeji but I could still be me in my small corner and still not beg grin.

Note the term blogging is not all about talking about gossip you could talk about products like skincare, phones, fashion, creams, bags, anything or services like how to do this, make videos just anything. Then you stick with that niche. You can talk about comedy like little Emmanuella they got millions of page views on YouTube... Let me tell you they are raking millions... Honestly millions monthly.

You don't need to contact anyone because there are thousands and millions of resources online to make it big in blogging, there are videos on YouTube. Once you have the patient and a good writer fire on

36 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How Have You Been Coping After NYSC With Or Without A Job? by rentAcock(m): 5:35pm On Feb 15, 2019
After NYSC I couldn't get a job right away and I was depressed and suicidal. I once overdosed on aspirin only to be resuscitated at the hospital. I thought about suing the hospital for bringing me back to life against my will and wishes but my lawyer advised me to let go since the case will be tossed out anyway. I decided to use my second chance to make the most of myself and one day give a testimony. I searched nairaland for jobs and applied to many, I eventually got a job at Jumia Travels where I helped with hotel reservations. They paid me 80k a month, not bad. Just 3 months into the job, my female manager and colleagues were hitting on me. They would drool over me and flirt with me. I didn't mind it until my manger who's a married woman with 2 kids invited me over to her house. I refused and she set me up. I ended up losing my job.

I later got another job at a travel agency, helped with flight reservations. Pay was 85k a month. Needless to say that my female co-workers were crushing on me, the other guys were jealous and it resulted in a serious physical altercation between me and another male co-worker. We were both let go.

I scoured nairaland and came across an online freelancer who taught me graphic design and article proofreading, I started earning dollars from fiverr, upwork and many freelancing sites. Money wasn't bad, I was averaging $200 a week. I thought I had made it in life. I worked at my own schedule.

But later I felt like the money wasn't enough, I wanted to buy a new car and a new apartment. I met another friend of mine, Charles, who was a model. Dude was fit with deltoid, pectoralis and back muscles popping. He told me he works out 5 days a week and makes 2 million naira a month. I was shocked. It turned out that Charles was a gigolo, he serviced rich women as well as models on the side. I was jealous, I mean I'm better looking than this guy and women are obsessed with me so why wasn't I using these attributes to my own advantage? I started working out, started rentacock.com, did some grassroot advertising and with word-of-mouth I started getting clients. I ended up making1.5 mil in my first month, and today I easily pull 10 times that.

Moral of the story, stop staying home languishing away and begging for jobs, look around you and provide a service people need. Good luck.

55 Likes 6 Shares

Re: How Have You Been Coping After NYSC With Or Without A Job? by neweraomo: 5:35pm On Feb 15, 2019
I'm a love-vendor grin
Re: How Have You Been Coping After NYSC With Or Without A Job? by OmniSparrow: 5:35pm On Feb 15, 2019
Why you asking?
Re: How Have You Been Coping After NYSC With Or Without A Job? by Waakanda: 5:35pm On Feb 15, 2019
Let's hear from those...
Re: How Have You Been Coping After NYSC With Or Without A Job? by MANNABBQGRILLS: 5:36pm On Feb 15, 2019
You can NEVER go wrong with being an entrepreneur.

Apart from your certificate, find something doing with your hands, it could be business or some other things.

It comes in handy!

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Have You Been Coping After NYSC With Or Without A Job? by Pabloosas(m): 5:36pm On Feb 15, 2019
Here to read and learn. cheesy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Have You Been Coping After NYSC With Or Without A Job? by nelronaldo(m): 5:36pm On Feb 15, 2019
Maddd. I got a job even before the end of my nysc but the 9 to 6 life isn't funny. I wish I have entrepreneurial skills and experience.

@OP I have something to discuss with you
Re: How Have You Been Coping After NYSC With Or Without A Job? by Triangles1(m): 5:36pm On Feb 15, 2019
The little money I had during my NYSC and with the support from my family, I invest on farming such as Yam, Casava, maize, guinea corn and tomatoes, I employed farmer, I visit the farm once in a month, right now i don't even need white collar job again.

My advice to my brothers and sisters, don't wait for government to do everything for you, start with anything in your street, when I first started I pass through alot of problem from neighbors, calling me names, a graduate became farmers, but today I don't wait for monthly salary, there are some works that sound so dirty but they're profitable.

35 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How Have You Been Coping After NYSC With Or Without A Job? by Richdad50(m): 5:37pm On Feb 15, 2019
To all the Job seekers who toil daily going from one office to another in pursuit of jobs, I pray God gives you rest.
We must all understand that not everyone is designed to be an enterprenuer. Enterprenuers were created to build on their vision while Employees where designed to build the vision of enterprenuers (do not let anyone make you feel less). They both need each other. Wherever you find your fitting, give it your best.

#Richdad

98 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How Have You Been Coping After NYSC With Or Without A Job? by Emceesaka: 5:37pm On Feb 15, 2019
It's better not to go to school at all because it has not been easy in anyway

1 Like

Re: How Have You Been Coping After NYSC With Or Without A Job? by 360great(m): 5:37pm On Feb 15, 2019
Two things are involved,it's either you win or loose

1 Like

Re: How Have You Been Coping After NYSC With Or Without A Job? by voicelez: 5:37pm On Feb 15, 2019
it scares the hell out of me
Re: How Have You Been Coping After NYSC With Or Without A Job? by ShameOnAPC: 5:37pm On Feb 15, 2019
30k BMC salary has helped me so far,
I have my own car, house, feeding my wife and kids, going on Vacation. Helping friends and family financially. Ask other BMC, they will tell you how large they have been living on 30k grin

Vote 4 Atiku

62 Likes 4 Shares

Re: How Have You Been Coping After NYSC With Or Without A Job? by StarUp: 5:37pm On Feb 15, 2019
post=75763734:

Apart from your certificate, find something doing with your hands.

1 Like

Re: How Have You Been Coping After NYSC With Or Without A Job? by Terver90: 5:37pm On Feb 15, 2019
A times I feel the life ain't worth living

10 Likes

Re: How Have You Been Coping After NYSC With Or Without A Job? by czarina(f): 5:38pm On Feb 15, 2019
Honestly, it has been beautiful!

From freelance writing and rendering Virtual assistance to Massage Therapy. And it's all thanks to God, Nairaland and every single person I met through Nairaland.

I go testify one day sha, God willing.

check my profile if you live in Jos smiley

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Have You Been Coping After NYSC With Or Without A Job? by klbakare(m): 5:38pm On Feb 15, 2019
Waakanda:
Let's hear from those...
see your English.
Re: How Have You Been Coping After NYSC With Or Without A Job? by Nobody: 5:39pm On Feb 15, 2019
Am a nairalander, thats my full time job grin grin

In details ,

Sleeping, nairalanding , playing games & cursing the government for not providing incentives or jobs for us without connection & Godfathers.

Atleast this had let me see how booring & simple this world is, No matter how satisfied a person is, something will always pop out & make person worry. So am using this period to learn satisfaction.
But seriously there isn't anything really exhilarating, but every day is still fun sha, afterall am wasting time grin grin

33 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Have You Been Coping After NYSC With Or Without A Job? by Sultty(m): 5:39pm On Feb 15, 2019
Don't resign like that just do ur business on a low key

1 Like

Re: How Have You Been Coping After NYSC With Or Without A Job? by Nobody: 5:39pm On Feb 15, 2019
post=75763734:

Apart from your certificate, find something doing with your hands, it could be business or some other things.

It comes in handy!

@ bolded: You are selling what exactly? tongue

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Have You Been Coping After NYSC With Or Without A Job? by Nickymezor(f): 5:41pm On Feb 15, 2019
#pondering
Re: How Have You Been Coping After NYSC With Or Without A Job? by nelronaldo(m): 5:41pm On Feb 15, 2019
post=75763734:

It comes in handy!
I swear. You can make sense sha; the only time you don't is when you talk about Buhari and you do this a lot.

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Have You Been Coping After NYSC With Or Without A Job? by Waakanda: 5:42pm On Feb 15, 2019
klbakare:
see your English.

Say "mind your grammar" next time. Besides, what's wrong with my grammar?

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Have You Been Coping After NYSC With Or Without A Job? by Richdad50(m): 5:43pm On Feb 15, 2019
fastseo:
I finished service since 2017 am already into web stuff like a blogger, although and I have learnt how to make sites appear on search engines and also draw traffic.
Good luck in your pursuitI have not bothered sending one CV ever since I just don't want the headech i know nothing comes easy but prefer a shop where I could sell things rather than hustling for 100k job

Although blogging has it ups and down but there are times it pays super and there are times it does little be it as it may its sustainable like there are times or months making 600k there are months makes 200 to 100k, it all depends.

Re: How Have You Been Coping After NYSC With Or Without A Job? by Iruobean(m): 5:43pm On Feb 15, 2019
It's been God

1 Like

Re: How Have You Been Coping After NYSC With Or Without A Job? by Nobody: 5:45pm On Feb 15, 2019
With all sense of humility do I say that I planned my graduation. I told myself never to graduate and go home and start looking for jobs.

I started using my computer skills (In those days, we went to computer school to learn MS Office Suite, CorelDraw etc) and I did private home computer tutor from 200L. I also did tutorials for "Pre Degree" students and raised money to buy a car for taxi in my final year.

Everyday, I used to get N2500 from my drivers (most of them de f-up) and with time, they don't give me complete returns and I occasionally drive in the evenings and still get N2000- 11000(yes, some days are good) from 5pm -11pm.
After all these, I still got a 2:1 wink

The taxi business kept me going through my NYSC days (during which I bought another cleaner car after selling the first one) and it was my first job from Final year to two years after graduation. Whenever we went for CDS or to my PPA, ladies liked me to drop them off with my clean car with A/C but I told them my story and most was endeared to me.
I later became an entrepreneur till date.

I can do any legit stuff to make side incomes too.

I never went home from university. I was self employed before I finished and now a role model to my younger ones.

Let me give undergraduates a little tip of how to prepare for life from University. It is no more news that school may not teach you how to make money. Try from year 1 to:
1. Dress modestly, don't go for fashion and trendy gadgets but have the necessities you need
and don't womanise (most have or will marry already working guys)

2. Keep friends who are working to excel in school and those who have businesses ideas (I am not talking of yahoo or betting).
3. If your parents gives you good pocket money or you can lie that you buy "thermometer" all the time just to have money, save more but don't suffer your life.
4. GET AS MANY SCHOLARSHIPS as you can get (I didn't enjoy this but my close friend did but wasted the money). Agbami pays Engineering and Science undergraduates N350k while Medical Students get N450k yearly. Shell pays N100k , Shevron etc. It is not a must that you will get it but try. Again, these companies select people from oil producing areas then National merit. With good guidance from a scholarship agent like (google GMASS Port Harcourt), you stand a good chance.

My friend raked a minimum of N1.5m (Agbami paid him N350k and shell paid him N100k multiplied by four yrs - do the maths)

Swallow your pride. I know a school mate who goes to far away places to buy garri, etc and supply to market women at a good profit. That man later had two campus shuttles. You can open a video game shop/bet shop (don't play bet o) etc. Think of a need and fill it.

Finally, I always tell undergraduates (boys mostly cos man life no easy) to save at least N250,000 before graduation and equally have a good business (no matter how small) you can do after school.

If your papa na Dangote or Ote$, you MAY ignore this but even at that, don't rely on family wealth.

To God be the glory.

69 Likes 8 Shares

Re: How Have You Been Coping After NYSC With Or Without A Job? by EmmaOgbu(m): 5:45pm On Feb 15, 2019
Good

Re: How Have You Been Coping After NYSC With Or Without A Job? by presido997(m): 5:46pm On Feb 15, 2019
Am here to learn from experience

1 Like

Re: How Have You Been Coping After NYSC With Or Without A Job? by Heineken(m): 5:46pm On Feb 15, 2019
Not easy at all.. I pity myself seriously. Served 2015 till now no joy whatsoever. Hardly eat well. To even barb hair na issue. Am just tired.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

What Profitable Business Can Someone Start With 100k? / Linda Ikeji's Blog Is Recruiting / See Why My Oga Sacked Me This Morning. Did I Do Wrong?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.