Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,208 members, 7,815,218 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:09 AM

Lagos Life: 10 Reasons You Should Move From Mainland To Island - Travel (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Lagos Life: 10 Reasons You Should Move From Mainland To Island (49545 Views)

10 Reasons Nigerian Immigrants Would Enjoy Canada / Opinion:- 10 Reasons Why Nigeria Is Better Than Canada / "This Video Depicts The Daily Lagos Life. 2 Different Fights In 1 Minute" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos Life: 10 Reasons You Should Move From Mainland To Island by KevMitnick: 7:13am On Feb 18, 2019
How can people prefer suffering? This is mental slavery.
Re: Lagos Life: 10 Reasons You Should Move From Mainland To Island by Justiceleague1: 7:17am On Feb 18, 2019
Op, house rent on the mainland is something else talkless of island.

freemanbubble:
The whole of Lagos have always been a shiiit hole. Whether main land or island

Went there as a Bini boy last year. In fact it was the day that tanker explosion happened
And i must tell you Lagos is overrated. Too dirty and noisy.

When i entered Abuja same last year November because i wanted an instant passport because there was no booklet in Edo state that was when i knew the difference between Abuja and Lagos

It was even more obvious to me that Edo was actually bigger than Lagos. It took like forever to leave Edo land when you are going to Abuja. All those Edo north was like forever. So Lagos is just one small shiiit hole place that is overcrowded.

Abuja is too good to be compared with that shiiit hole called lagos

Okpia,bodiae? Bhoyehe na? Lahowowo,e rhie connection me O. Me too want to leave this kwantiri.
God bless o
Re: Lagos Life: 10 Reasons You Should Move From Mainland To Island by JuanDeDios: 7:18am On Feb 18, 2019
LarryHooper:
I was at berger the other day looking for a bus to iyana ipaja then I asked one woman where the bus was heading to then she said "Lagos". I was like wtf. Which part of Lagos na abi no be Lagos we dey again ni then she specified Lagos island. So na only people wey dey live for island dey Lagos. Funny enough she isn't the first person I'm hearing that kind of stuff from.
There's a place called Lagos. It's an island. Its other name is Eko and its core is called Isale Eko. It was that name Lagos that was adopted for the whole state. Just like that there is a town called Oyo whose name was given to a whole state. Ditto for Kano, Kaduna, Enugu and Ondo.

So the woman wasn't the ignorant one.

4 Likes

Re: Lagos Life: 10 Reasons You Should Move From Mainland To Island by octavian(m): 7:21am On Feb 18, 2019
After reading through the comments, my thoughts:
1. When you came to Lagos, na competition make you come, who are you competing With?
2. Regardless of wherever you live , what commands respect is the Revenue you generate hourly, daily, weekly or monthly in Lagos
3.If you are comfortable living on the mainland, no one is after you, if you are happy to live on the island Same applies.

The talks of mainland or island shouldn't be the issue but how you can reposition yourself to make honest money in Lagos

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Life: 10 Reasons You Should Move From Mainland To Island by Ay04z(m): 7:23am On Feb 18, 2019
Ogun state lawa wa. And we working in both island and mainland. grin

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Life: 10 Reasons You Should Move From Mainland To Island by ninofreesty(m): 7:23am On Feb 18, 2019
Me nor understand this una high land and main land matter. Come to warri and live peacefully joor before population kill u there, all that glitters are not gold...#j.j.D my address
Re: Lagos Life: 10 Reasons You Should Move From Mainland To Island by veesion: 7:25am On Feb 18, 2019
TINUBU's looтιng and forced empire oғ AGBERO & oтнer ғorмѕ oғ NUISANCE dιd noт allow lagoѕ тo grow lιĸe ιтѕ мaтeѕ ιn aғrιca �
Re: Lagos Life: 10 Reasons You Should Move From Mainland To Island by Mitesh02: 7:30am On Feb 18, 2019
freemanbubble:

Went there as a Bini boy last year. In fact it was the day that tanker explosion happened

When i entered Abuja same last year November because i wanted an instant passport because there was no booklet in Edo state that was when i knew the difference between Abuja and Lagos

It was even more obvious to me that Edo was actually bigger than Lagos. It took like forever to leave Edo land when you are going to Abuja. All those Edo north was like forever. So Lagos is just one small shiiit hole place that is overcrowded.

You don't know your state, between Edo and Abuja there is Kogi state.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Life: 10 Reasons You Should Move From Mainland To Island by Nobody: 7:34am On Feb 18, 2019
checkolatunji:

Ikeja(gra) Maryland(mende) I can go on if you want

Ifeanyi Ubah lives in Omole Phase 2 . . .
Re: Lagos Life: 10 Reasons You Should Move From Mainland To Island by caprini1: 7:40am On Feb 18, 2019
checkolatunji:

You forgot Alaka estate and Ogudu GRA

1 Like

Re: Lagos Life: 10 Reasons You Should Move From Mainland To Island by lorhema(f): 7:44am On Feb 18, 2019
Hotfreeze:
If you're talking about Island, no dey mention after Ajah o. That side na Ijebu.

FYI, it's Ijebu they turned to Ibeju.

If these areas are ijebu, are they cheaper to live in? Would like to know.
Re: Lagos Life: 10 Reasons You Should Move From Mainland To Island by Nobody: 8:03am On Feb 18, 2019
Move to island at your own peril.
Re: Lagos Life: 10 Reasons You Should Move From Mainland To Island by IkpuMmadu: 8:10am On Feb 18, 2019
checkolatunji:

those areas are shit holes...no December drainage
Re: Lagos Life: 10 Reasons You Should Move From Mainland To Island by Butoneday2(m): 8:24am On Feb 18, 2019
Opinionated:
If you are not living on the Island side of Lagos, especially VI-Ikoyi-Lekki-Ajah axis, you may be missing the following:

1.Fresher air and sands: Truth be told, there is this special air you feel on entering Island, starting from Bonny cantonment, or, especially, entering through Ikoyi. Island generally has fresher air. Mainland air can be thicker and more polluted. Even the sands on the Island are fresher - the white, beach-type sands everywhere compared to the dirty brown sands of Mainland. There is even less noise on the Island. Less indiscriminate honking of vehicle horns by hardened drivers that are the kings of the roads on the Mainland, more neighbourhoods using soundproof generators, etc.

2. Less aggressive LASTMA: LASTMA, the Lagos traffic police, are generally more gentle and less aggressive than on Mainland. In fact, apart from a few spots on the Lekki-Ajah expressway, you hardly see LASTMA guys on Island. You hardly see LASTMA arguing with people. You hardly also come across VIO and other traffic law enforcement agents. Perhaps because Island drivers are more law abiding? Perhaps because of potential of the driver of that private car being a big man?

3. More exotic autos: Driving on VI-Lekki-Ikoyi axis on a Sunday evening can be therapeutic. You see fine cars being driven by young and upwardly mobile folks. You don't get much of that on the Mainland except in a couple of places.

4. Less heavy trucks: Until very recently due to Dangote refinery construction, you hardly see heavy duty vehicles on the Island. Although you now see a couple of them, usually late in the night, on Lekki-Epe expressway, the situation is still far better than in many parts of the Mainland.

5. Better security at night: You can drive around  late in night on the Island with little worry about security. You see heavily armed security men at almost every turning late into the night. If you are a night crawler, you have little worry on the Island as you are almost always covered.

6. No yellow buses: Let's face it, those yellow buses are an eyesore. No wonder the state government banned them from entering Island.

7. More orderly traffic: While there is traffic on the Island as it is on Mainland, there is hardly complete lock-down on the Island. No matter how bad, the traffic will still be moving. Island traffic is more orderly. Probably because there are more corporate gentlemen as road users. A major source of traffic on the Mainland is breakdown of one long articulated truck, you hardly see that on the Island. Add the fact that there are less trucks and carelessly driven yellow buses, and you will understand why Island traffic "schooled abroad" while that of Mainland "schooled" in you-know-where.

8. Less one-chance: Cases of one-chance, robbery using public transportation system, while they exist, are far less heard of on the Island.

9. Less traffic robbery:  Cases of brazen robbery inside traffic are very few and far between on the Island, although they exist.

10. Natural swimming pool: Okay, you may not miss this: your street (or even bedroom) turning into swimming pool at the slightest downpour!

Any other thing we have missed?

Source: http://www.opinions.ng/living-on-the-island-10-things-lagos-mainlanders-are-missing/

@No.3, Pls what is therapeutic? I no go higher institution. Want to knw pls explain?
Re: Lagos Life: 10 Reasons You Should Move From Mainland To Island by lanvic12(m): 8:30am On Feb 18, 2019
Hope CMS is not among island u meant
Re: Lagos Life: 10 Reasons You Should Move From Mainland To Island by Joybringer: 8:34am On Feb 18, 2019
yemi15:

Why bro lol. How is Ajah not Island to you?
Monkey is different from chimpanzee, Lekki phase 1/VI/Ikoyi, etc no be Ajah mate bros.
Re: Lagos Life: 10 Reasons You Should Move From Mainland To Island by checkolatunji: 8:42am On Feb 18, 2019
IkpuMmadu:
those areas are shit holes...no December drainage

Means you don't know Gidi.. there you can find best drainage you Gidi that Ikoyi, VI and Lekki can't boast of. Flood don't happen in those areas like island

1 Like

Re: Lagos Life: 10 Reasons You Should Move From Mainland To Island by Brightdude007: 8:43am On Feb 18, 2019
If you love house arrest so much then island is for you but if otherwise choose mainland. Lack of personal mobility and handy cash can frustrate you more on the island unlike mainland. Island is the best for me though
Re: Lagos Life: 10 Reasons You Should Move From Mainland To Island by mayorflexzy(m): 8:44am On Feb 18, 2019
Will you pay the rent for me?
Re: Lagos Life: 10 Reasons You Should Move From Mainland To Island by Butoneday2(m): 8:46am On Feb 18, 2019
For me i prefer mainland than island. That island is boring gosh! Went to my uncle's hse one friday evening to spend the wknd dia, then on saturday i comot for hse say make i go strow i waka enter shoprite my pipu it was not funny @all i can count the number of pipu i saw dia. I ask my sef wia are the pipu now cos my aim was to catch one olosho but e no work as pipu dey dia hse dey form big man and woman. I went back to de hse de next day being sunday i pick my tins and shook head to ikeja wia it is happening life easier. Over six months now i have not visited island, mainland is wia e dey happen. My opinion doh

3 Likes

Re: Lagos Life: 10 Reasons You Should Move From Mainland To Island by lexy2014: 8:50am On Feb 18, 2019
LarryHooper:
I was at berger the other day looking for a bus to iyana ipaja then I asked one woman where the bus was heading to then she said "Lagos". I was like wtf. Which part of Lagos na abi no be Lagos we dey again ni then she specified Lagos island. So na only people wey dey live for island dey Lagos. Funny enough she isn't the first person I'm hearing that kind of stuff from.

There's a place called Lagos in Lagos. They also call it Lagos island. This is d area were Lagos indigenes stay. Its d residential area behind marina. Its also were u have d oba of Lagos. Its different from "island". Island makes up V.I., Ikoyi, Lekki, Ajah
Re: Lagos Life: 10 Reasons You Should Move From Mainland To Island by nativedoctor(m): 8:51am On Feb 18, 2019
Joybringer:

Monkey is different from chimpanzee, Lekki phase 1/VI/Ikoyi, etc no be Ajah mate bros.
Do you know Royal Garden estate Ajah?
Smack at Ajah bus stop but international standard. Underground electric cables, no open drains, central sewage, 24/7 power, treated water,security and maintenance.
There are several other beautiful estates along Ajah axis. Even Amen estate at Eleko (rumored to be developed by Oluremi Tinubu) is very nice.
The island is definitely less congested than the mainland and more expensive.
To find affordable peppersoup and beer Na issue. Everything is expensive on the island. Only fresh air and easy access to the seaside
Re: Lagos Life: 10 Reasons You Should Move From Mainland To Island by EBUBS(m): 8:51am On Feb 18, 2019
I rather move from Nairaland to Dollarland
Re: Lagos Life: 10 Reasons You Should Move From Mainland To Island by iamfromlagos(f): 8:56am On Feb 18, 2019
daftpikin:

Hope you’re not counting all those Ajah side as island sha
Lol! You just typed out my thought.
Re: Lagos Life: 10 Reasons You Should Move From Mainland To Island by Idboyostic(m): 8:59am On Feb 18, 2019
yemi15:

Not true bro, if your income is at least 4 times higher than your rent annually, you can live in Island. Self-contained in Ajah is at most 250k and Mini-flat is at most 350k.
shocked shocked shocked did I hear you say Ajah.....Bros you joking.
Re: Lagos Life: 10 Reasons You Should Move From Mainland To Island by TruthFM(m): 9:12am On Feb 18, 2019
freemanbubble:

Where did the op compare Lagos to Abuja?

1 Like

Re: Lagos Life: 10 Reasons You Should Move From Mainland To Island by ofakaga: 9:19am On Feb 18, 2019
The day the ocean will vex.hmmmmmmm.is coming soon
Re: Lagos Life: 10 Reasons You Should Move From Mainland To Island by Westlander(m): 9:19am On Feb 18, 2019
freemanbubble:

but for your Benin and Edo north wey you dey shout no be winch and bush full every where e get where develop for Edo only ojo/festac don cover the whole Benin, 75% of the rich people living in Nigeria are in Lagos so what the Bleep you trying to downgrade centre of excellence for, God don already bless the land

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Life: 10 Reasons You Should Move From Mainland To Island by bellotaofeek: 9:35am On Feb 18, 2019
[color=#990000][/color]
MO FO Tan
Re: Lagos Life: 10 Reasons You Should Move From Mainland To Island by Gaspardd(m): 9:46am On Feb 18, 2019
Hotfreeze:
If you're talking about Island, no dey mention after Ajah o. That side na Ijebu.

FYI, it's Ijebu they turned to Ibeju.

I stay in Eleko and my house is directly facing the beach, no way you can quantify the joy of hearing the sound of beach waves at nights and the fresh breeze, OH MY GOD.
Re: Lagos Life: 10 Reasons You Should Move From Mainland To Island by NeuroBoss(m): 9:56am On Feb 18, 2019
LarryHooper:

Okay…you learn everyday. The real Lagos, named by the Portuguese is Isale-Eko, Lagos Island gemerally. Everyother place in "Lagos" are independent towns and villages that became modernized and cosmoplitan due to the rapid development of the state. People even in Yaba will ask you in Yoruba, "E jowo buroda, nibo ni won ti n wo moto Eko?

It is not discrimination. It is how it is!

1 Like

Re: Lagos Life: 10 Reasons You Should Move From Mainland To Island by emsco(m): 9:57am On Feb 18, 2019
freemanbubble:

Yet no passport office in the whole of Benin.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

PHOTOS: Lady Boards Flight To Ibadan, Arik Plane Lands In Ilorin / I Was Denied A Schengen Visa Today. / U.K Is The 2nd Most Miserable Country In The World - MHQ Study Shows

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.