Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,491 members, 7,819,792 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:30 PM

FG To Name Ribadu New Police IG! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FG To Name Ribadu New Police IG! (2300 Views)

Breaking!!!! Adamawa Pdp Suspends Nuhu Ribadu.....new Guber Primaries Ongoing!!! / Lagos, 20 Other States Get New Police Commissioners / Behold, Nigeria's New Police Uniform - See Pix (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

FG To Name Ribadu New Police IG! by Razorr(f): 9:26am On Apr 24, 2007
A major shake-up is imminent in the Nigeria Police Force (NPF), as the Federal Government is set to name Chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), Nuhu Ribadu, as the new Inspector General of Police (IGP).

The shake-up in the Police is expected to lead to the retirement of top officers of the Force, particularly the deputy inspectors-general (DIGs) and assistant inspectors-general (AIGs).

Ribadu, who was re-appointed for a second term of four years as the EFCC Chairman on April 10 and also elevated to the rank of Assistant Inspector General (AIG) of Police, is to take over from Sunday Ehindero.

A source in the Presidency who confirmed the development on Monday, said both President Olusegun Obasanjo and the President-elect, Umaru Musa Yar’Adua, have already ratified Ribadu’s appointment as IGP.

It was gathered that the move was being carried out with an understanding between the Presidency and the top hierarchy of the police.

"The president is disposed to Ribadu heading the Nigeria Police Force in view of his performance and track record at the EFCC.

"It is believed that his headship of the Police will give the Force a better image both at the local and international levels.

"Yar’Adua has been briefed barely a month ago on the moves to elevate Ribadu to be IGP and was said to have agreed and consented to his appointment as IG.

"The Federal Government is expected to announce Ribadu’s appointment within the next few days, while he is expected to be sworn in before May 29 when Obasanjo would hand over to Yar’Adua," the source said.

The source said the Presidency sees Ribadu as capable of repositioning the Nigeria Police towards making it effective in fighting crimes and corruption as well as improving the security of lives and property.

His recommendation by Ehindero to be promoted to AIG is not unconnected with plans to finally elevate him to the position of IGP.

Ribadu attended the recent meetings of DIGs and AIGs and other top brass of the police with Ehindero at the Force Headquarters towards ensuring violent-free elections in the country.

Obasanjo had in March 2005 appointed Ehindero as the IGP, following the removal of the former IG, Tafa Balogun, in February 2005.

Ehindero was expected to retire in December 2005, but was given a one-year extension by the president. He then requested for another six-month extension after the expiration of the earlier extension in December.

Ribadu was born in November 1960, graduated from the Nigerian Law School and was called to the bar in 1984, before joining the Nigeria Police, where he rose to become head of the Legal and Prosecution department, Police Headquarters, Abuja.

Source : - http://www.independentngonline.com/?c=44&a=25354
Re: FG To Name Ribadu New Police IG! by Razorr(f): 9:30am On Apr 24, 2007
Obasanjo has finally impressed me! He is a very smart guy!   grin

What an excelent way to cover his tracks!   grin

Everyone knows that Ribadu is a mad man. As soon as Obasanjo steps down on May 29, Ribadu's plan is to start probing him immediately!

That is why Obasanjo wants to remove him from EFCC in a few days. I was just discussing this with a  friend this morning!

All Hail Baba Iyabo!  grin   grin
Re: FG To Name Ribadu New Police IG! by sweetchick(f): 9:39am On Apr 24, 2007
Is it really true?
Re: FG To Name Ribadu New Police IG! by magneto(m): 9:40am On Apr 24, 2007
smart move u say? isn't he going to be heading both agencies??

Razorr:

particularly the deputy inspectors-general (DIGs) and assistant inspectors-general (AIGs).

Ribadu, who was re-appointed for a second term of four years as the EFCC Chairman on April 10 and also elevated to the rank of Assistant Inspector General (AIG) of Police, is to take over from Sunday Ehindero.
Re: FG To Name Ribadu New Police IG! by McKren(m): 9:43am On Apr 24, 2007
The truth is that there is a silent revolution going on in Nigeria, OBJ is simply telling his age mates who are leaders to come lets go home and leave leadership to young and vibrant men.

Check out the army, Navy now Police.

The next should be Customs and Immigration.

Duke should be made the next Minister for Interior to revolutionalize most of our failing systems.
Re: FG To Name Ribadu New Police IG! by Razorr(f): 9:46am On Apr 24, 2007
@sweetchick
Yes it's true.

@magneto
What is the business of the current IG with the EFCC? Does Ehindero head the EFCC?

The EFCC is independent!

Ribadu is going to be the IG of police and trust me, that is not an easy task considering the current sorry state of the police force.

One person cannot head both the Police force and EFCC! It would be an impossible task - too much work!

Obasanjo is smart. Ribadu would leave the EFCC and he would put someone else there. Someone who is not as crazy as Ribadu.  grin   grin
Re: FG To Name Ribadu New Police IG! by Ladapo(m): 9:51am On Apr 24, 2007
I heard they are bringing EFCC directly under the supervision of the Police as soon as Ribadu takes over, so , corrupt people should not start rejoicing yet cos the party is not over yet.
Re: FG To Name Ribadu New Police IG! by Razorr(f): 9:52am On Apr 24, 2007
Ladapo:

I heard they are bringing EFCC directly under the supervision of the Police as soon as Ribadu takes over.

Are you sure about that? If it's true, then that's good news!  grin  Uncle Sege would be arrested!  grin
Re: FG To Name Ribadu New Police IG! by magneto(m): 9:54am On Apr 24, 2007
@razzor - my sentiments precisely! grin grin grin grin
Re: FG To Name Ribadu New Police IG! by McKren(m): 10:08am On Apr 24, 2007
Frankly there are more serious things to do than to arrest OBJ, Atiku or IBB.

In the next dispensation I will like to see a more proactive fight against corruption rather than the retroactive fight we have today.

Why cant we have the EFCC or another audit body ensuring the projects executed at the end of contracts is commensurate to money commited?

Why cant we get every government to publish their Budget and set quarterly milestones on which they will be measured, so that those who are not up to speed with delivering the dividends of democracy could be called upon to account what they have been doing with government money?

The human mind is so corrupt and every average human will be so tempted to embezzle in our system because it is too relaxed. Lets help our leaders to help us.
There should be checks and balances not allowing people to fail and then going after as that does not help the ordinary man on the streets.
Re: FG To Name Ribadu New Police IG! by Razorr(f): 10:17am On Apr 24, 2007
@McKren
Brilliant observation. But I am looking at the dramatic side of the whole show. It would be very interesting to see Ribadu start troubling people like OBJ. Forgive me, but I love drama! grin grin

It is high time our leaders learn that they cannot always get away with stealing and corruption.
Look at Igbinedion for example. Would you want that man to get away with the amount of decay he is leaving Edo State in? angry
Re: FG To Name Ribadu New Police IG! by 9ja4eva: 11:10am On Apr 24, 2007
Good news for the Police Force but like someone said what happens to EFCC?I think to an extent Ribadu shld be able to perform wonders in the force.I cnt wait for the new look of the whole system come May 29th.Its going to be interesting especially if Yar Adua suprises his god fathers.
Re: FG To Name Ribadu New Police IG! by Bolarge(m): 11:33am On Apr 24, 2007
Razorr:

Are you sure about that? If it's true, then that's good news! grin Uncle Sege would be arrested! grin

I really wld've loved to share ur optimistic enthusiasm but somehow I just don't.
I've seen much too much.especially in the last few weeks
I love NIGERIA. cry
GOD bless NIGERIA.
Re: FG To Name Ribadu New Police IG! by Razorr(f): 11:37am On Apr 24, 2007
Bolarge, I feel you, but I'm am just hoping for the best. To tell you the truth, I am a bit scared right now because I do not know what the next dispensation would look like.
Re: FG To Name Ribadu New Police IG! by Bolarge(m): 12:25pm On Apr 24, 2007
I had this nightmare overnight and I hardly ever dream in which I actually saw the Liberian nightmare replayed in Nigeria (GOD forbid).This was further made eerie by a text msg I got first thing this morning by a pastor friend of mine who had the same experience too and is presently canvassing for Christians to really pray for our beloved Nigeria at this time. Please pray for Nigeria.
GOD bless NIGERIA.
Re: FG To Name Ribadu New Police IG! by Razorr(f): 2:06pm On Apr 24, 2007
@ Bolarge
You are joking, right? shocked
Re: FG To Name Ribadu New Police IG! by samsilo(m): 2:17pm On Apr 24, 2007
If this is true then it is really good news. No matter what else anybody can say about Ribadu ,he is fervently patriotic and clear about his views on redeeming our country.I was in Cross River state until recently and saw what a strong willed person in position of authority can do. Look at NAFDAC under the fearless Prof Akinyuli.
Razor, forget OBJ for now,the level of corruption in the police is like NEPA(PHCN), it affects everybody and wrecks the image of our country.
Last week I gave a friend my Digital Camera to give to my wife in Nigeria, Immediately he left the airport he was arrested by the police ,taken to the station and asked to pay 30K. Someone who just came into the country after 6hr flight spent 5 hrs in the police station because the idiots refused to believe reciepts abroad do not always carry purchasers name.
Will we talk about the innocent people killed almost daily by the police?If you ask me the Nigerian police force is probably the worst thin g to happen to our dear country.
Some one else can continue at EFCC, we need to build up institutions not people
Re: FG To Name Ribadu New Police IG! by 9ja4eva: 4:59am On Apr 25, 2007
True word
Re: FG To Name Ribadu New Police IG! by GNature(m): 6:38am On Apr 25, 2007
What if Yar'Adua doesn't retain Ribadu's services in his government ? This is not impossible you know.
Re: FG To Name Ribadu New Police IG! by Bolarge(m): 9:17am On Apr 25, 2007
Possible but unlikely (@least not anytime soon).
Dispensing with Ribadu's services now will cast a really dark shadow on Yar'Adua's credibility.
He sure won't want to take off with such an ill-advised move.
Re: FG To Name Ribadu New Police IG! by McDoe(m): 9:51am On Apr 25, 2007
Razorr, are you from Edo State? For your information, you are my beloved nairalander in whom I am well pleased.
Re: FG To Name Ribadu New Police IG! by Razorr(f): 1:33pm On Apr 25, 2007
Naaaaa. I'm not from Edo. But the state of infrastructural decay in that state is appaling! angry
Re: FG To Name Ribadu New Police IG! by Beline(f): 2:35pm On Apr 25, 2007
good news to the police and i believe another nigerian that will want his good name registered in the nigerians heart will take over EFCC
Re: FG To Name Ribadu New Police IG! by initiate: 5:59pm On Apr 25, 2007
you guys she stop glorifying ribadu. he is nothing but a complete arsehole. and he is not doing anything spectacular, any fool can nail all the enemies of his boss.

he has shown over and oover that he is just an instrument of punishment in the hands of obasanjo. nothing more than that. if you keep praising him then you shd praise al mustafa because as abacha's henchman he dealt with all his bosses enemies.

did ribadu hear about andy ubas scandal? did he hear how much anenih spent on roads in the first term? they say atiku mismanaged $185 million dollars of ptdf money, but records show that the whole amount ptdf collected was over $700m, where is the balance? is akala not under investigation for corruption? maybe ribadu don forget, please remind him o.

i read in the papers today that he is freezing adamawa state , cos the guvnor defected to ac?

as long as we keep glorifying mediocrity how can we excel?

on a ligter mood if he becomes IG all non PDP states go hear wehn!
Re: FG To Name Ribadu New Police IG! by samsilo(m): 6:53pm On Apr 25, 2007
Initiate, nobody is glorifying Ribadu ,I like people to face facts and be rational .I don't know how old you are or how much history you know.
Up till 1999 no "BIGMAN" in Nigeria ever had to answer questions about corruption except the brief stint of Buhari's govt.
Today because of the anti corruption movement even Baba Shege is being accused.
Who born you to talk like that about Oga in Abacha's time.
It has to start from some where ,SELECTIVE or not!
Re: FG To Name Ribadu New Police IG! by lewa(m): 8:00pm On Apr 25, 2007
Razorr~nice analysis!Very much impressed!Nice
Re: FG To Name Ribadu New Police IG! by alabiyemmy(m): 9:31pm On Apr 25, 2007
Razor - what have you based your analysis on? Simply because someone is being moved to head another agency, then yu think it is because OBJ is afraid of probe?
Re: FG To Name Ribadu New Police IG! by McDoe(m): 11:16am On Apr 26, 2007
Razorr:

Naaaaa. I'm not from Edo. But the state of infrastructural decay in that state is appaling!   angry

If you are not from there, how do you get to know You still haven't responded to my praises.[color=#000099][/color]
Re: FG To Name Ribadu New Police IG! by Mariory(m): 11:48am On Apr 26, 2007
initiate:

you guys she stop glorifying ribadu. he is nothing but a complete arsehole.

Wow, it appears that in some way he must have bitch slapped you pretty bad. Long live Ribadu!
Re: FG To Name Ribadu New Police IG! by unleashit(m): 11:52pm On Apr 26, 2007
The worst agency in the country right now is the nigerian police and it is the bed rock of corruption in the country.Corruption in the country is increasing because the average nigerian believes the force is incompetent to investigate cases and in situation were it involves stealing,the average nigerian steals enough so that when he is caught he can have enough to settle the police.Ribadu coming into the scene would help to bring some kind of trust to the force.
Re: FG To Name Ribadu New Police IG! by 9ja4eva: 11:56pm On Apr 26, 2007
We jst hope so.Not sure of any public officer no more.
Re: FG To Name Ribadu New Police IG! by initiate: 12:01pm On Apr 27, 2007
samsilo, you dont need to be rude ok. even the child born last year can read history and know everything done before he was born

now talkin abt anticorruption you have definitely missed the point. what im saying is that it takes no genius to victimise his boss' enemies. talking abt buhari era, you would recall that when they took power, they invited all politicians for questioning and dealt with all those found guilty. they were not lookin at face, so to speak. can u say the same for ribadu? if he was going after criminals why dint he pick up andy uba, who was faced money laundering charges in US?

in order to have effective application of law, u need to be impartial. if not any potential criminal just needs to be in the good books of obasanjo and he is home and dry

anyhow time will tell

(1) (2) (Reply)

Who Do You Think Should Be The man To Rule Nigeria and why? / A Billionaire And His Unusual Ways / Can Arunma Oteh Arrest Ndidi Onyiuke 4 Corruption & Sleeping With Obj For Favor?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.