Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,971 members, 7,821,403 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 12:30 PM

Why You Must Vote On Saturday - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why You Must Vote On Saturday (270 Views)

How To Vote On Election Day, What Finger To Use - INEC issues Alert [MUST-SEE] / Oshiomhole Raises Alarm On Plot To Pass No Confidence Vote On Him / 2019: APC Endorses Mannaseh, Passes No Confidence Vote On Dogara (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Why You Must Vote On Saturday by ChineduPeters(m): 11:23am On Feb 21, 2019
Instead of brooding over certain disappointments we experience in life, we should sometimes realize that some disappointments could end up becoming a blessing to us. The postponement of the 2019 presidential elections is a huge blessing to those who decided not to vote for reasons best known to them and I'll tell you why. As much as I respect the decision and choice of every individual, we should all realise that the 2019 election is one of the most important elections in the history of the country because this election will finally prove to every Nigerian politician and even the world at large that the average Nigerian knows what they want. I remember vividly that in 2015, the general consensus is that we were voting a president that will never take us for granted; A president that will be indebted to us by paying back in equal measure the love and confidence we have in him; A president that will take us to the "promised land"; A president that must be kept on its toes and be made to deliver his promises to us. Now, if you believe that the current president has done enough to convince you to vote for him based on his performance, the least, you should do to appreciate him is to go out there and cast your vote for him. And if you're one who believes he hasn't done enough to merit re-election, your motivation to vote him out should be sky high with rage.

For someone who campaigned vigorously and projected the current president as the answer to our numerous problems as a country, I can authoritatively opine that after 4 years, this present government which arrogantly carries itself as the ONLY solution to our problems has failed to give me any reason to vote it back into office and hence do not deserve re-election. A president who took the whole of 6 months to appoint incompetent ministers yet never deemed it necessary to sack any does not deserve re-election. A president who looked the other way when killer herdsmen nearly turned the country to killing fields and never released any statement to commiserate with the victims of these attacks or even condemn the killers does not deserve your vote. A president who believes that only in the section of the country he comes from can we get competent hands to hold key positions does not deserve your vote. A president under whose watch over 80 million people slipped into EXTREME poverty yet did nothing to reduce this huge figure does not deserve re-election. The Indian government lifted approximately 24 million people out of poverty in 8 months, reducing the amount of people in extreme poverty from about 73 million people to 48 million. Now that's what a good government does, not one that expects you to glory in your poverty because you're expected to believe all rich people are corrupt or that you must "live within your means" while the same people flaunt opulence within it's self righteous circle. I could go on and on because the list is endless but I guess you get my point. You should also not forget that politicians in this part of the world are known to do better in their first terms in office. The second term is usually considered a "formality" because they won't be coming to you for votes at the end. So whatever level the country is in today, have it at the back of your mind that the "next level" can never be better and if like me you believe this government has failed, you're indirectly reinforcing failure when you decide not to go out and vote.

If this does not motivate you to dust your PVC, mobilize and come out en masse to vote out this government, then you'll deserve whatever you get in the next four years. Desperate politicians can only rig when voters do not show up. Go out and make your voice heard with your votes. God bless Nigeria.

(1) (Reply)

BMO To Atiku: President Buhari Will Win By A Landslide / ABA Urges Free, Credible Polls, Faults Onnoghen’s Suspension / Benjamin Kalu Defeats In Bende Federal Constituency Election -aypn

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.