Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,286 members, 7,811,855 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 09:27 PM

Yobe Residents Threaten Election Boycott As INEC Relocates Voting Centres - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Yobe Residents Threaten Election Boycott As INEC Relocates Voting Centres (11536 Views)

Tinubu, APC Plotting To Threaten Election Tribunal Judges With Arrest – Atiku / Boko Haram Distributes Ramadan Packages, Cash To Borno, Yobe Residents (photos) / IPOB Election Boycott Campaign In Anambra (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Yobe Residents Threaten Election Boycott As INEC Relocates Voting Centres by fergie001: 3:58pm On Feb 22, 2019
Voters in Buni yadi, the headquarters of Gujba local government area of Yobe State, have threatened to boycott elections as the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, relocated voting to Damaturu, the Yobe state capital.

Last Sunday, Boko Haram militants launched an attack on military brigade in Buni yadi, killing an officer and 3 soldiers before they were neutralised by the military.

Speaking to Daily Trust on Friday, aggrieved electorate claimed that INEC’s decision was motivated by elites that had refused to return to their ancestral homes.

INEC’s Resident Electoral Commissioner in the state Alhaji Ahmad Makama told our correspondent that the voting areas were relocated to Damaturu after a careful security considerations by heads of security, INEC and all other stakeholders in the council.

“The securities had declared the area unsafe for the election. So safety of live is not guaranteed and we cannot expose our men and materials to any insecurity. That is why we relocated them to Damaturu,” he said.

Alhaji Lawan Garin Goni, the Sarkin Malamai of Buni yadi, said the relocation of the centres to Damaturu would disenfranchise not less than 70 percent voters in the town.

He said that many people said they would not leave their families behind to travel and cast their votes in Damaturu.

“I have not less than thirty registered voters under me. Now only me would go and vote, my wives and students that are eligible voters will not go as far as Damaturu to vote. That would be the problem in every household, ” he said.

Mamman Sarkin Fawa, said that electorate in the town were enthusiastic about the election until the late evening’s announcement.

“As community leader, I must go and vote, but I want to assured you that 90 percent would not vote this time around because people here are looking for money to feed, let alone transporting themselves to Damaturu for election,” he explained.

https://www.dailytrust.com.ng/yobe-voters-threaten-election-boycott-as-inec-relocates-voting-centres.html
Re: Yobe Residents Threaten Election Boycott As INEC Relocates Voting Centres by Nbote(m): 4:05pm On Feb 22, 2019
But we were told Boko Haram no longer hold any territories and have been technically defeated? So y are d areas now unsafe

57 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Yobe Residents Threaten Election Boycott As INEC Relocates Voting Centres by MrAJQ(m): 4:07pm On Feb 22, 2019
Interesting
Re: Yobe Residents Threaten Election Boycott As INEC Relocates Voting Centres by Munzy14(m): 4:12pm On Feb 22, 2019
chei! Alhaji only u 30?. lol this people eeh. Yet the most backward in dev and everything.
I swear northerns need a serious enlightment. I mean average and below. The reason usman dan fodio lead a jihad, had returned fully.
The gap between the elites and the below there is like Lagos to Maiduguri

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Yobe Residents Threaten Election Boycott As INEC Relocates Voting Centres by fergie001: 4:17pm On Feb 22, 2019
Lalasticlala,
Yobe has about 1.26m voters with pvc....

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Yobe Residents Threaten Election Boycott As INEC Relocates Voting Centres by Salvador1: 4:26pm On Feb 22, 2019
The most foolish people on earth are those ready to vote buhari when he couldn't protect them from the menace of bokoharam Fulani herdsmen, armed bandits etc

25 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Yobe Residents Threaten Election Boycott As INEC Relocates Voting Centres by yrex01(m): 5:58pm On Feb 22, 2019
Salvador1:
The most foolish people on earth are those ready to vote buhari when he couldn't protect them from the menace of bokoharam Fulani herdsmen, armed bandits etc
it's only u guys that's know yoruba Muslim, yoruba xtains, educated Yoruba Muslim, educated aboki n illiterate aboki. You'd sha find name to call someone that doesn't reason the way u does. Stop swearing n calling pipu that doesn't reason like u guys names. We don't reason with h@ full of hate, we reason with brain. Roger that !!

8 Likes

Re: Yobe Residents Threaten Election Boycott As INEC Relocates Voting Centres by TIGRITIS: 5:59pm On Feb 22, 2019
No wahala.
Re: Yobe Residents Threaten Election Boycott As INEC Relocates Voting Centres by AllenSpencer: 5:59pm On Feb 22, 2019
Nbote:
But we were told Boko Haram no longer hold any territories and have been technically defeated? So y are d areas now unsafe

The English you failed to decode appropriately is "technically defeated"

5 Likes

Re: Yobe Residents Threaten Election Boycott As INEC Relocates Voting Centres by MarcC: 5:59pm On Feb 22, 2019
Some persons were not given PVCs in Edo state even after presenting the temporary voters card.. Nobody is saying anything about

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Yobe Residents Threaten Election Boycott As INEC Relocates Voting Centres by Nairalandmentor(m): 5:59pm On Feb 22, 2019
sad
Re: Yobe Residents Threaten Election Boycott As INEC Relocates Voting Centres by sexyking1: 5:59pm On Feb 22, 2019
Is there buhari stronghold? If yes make them boycott am! Atiku's winning is sacrosanct!

Please if you have your PVC,

Like for Atiku or share for others

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yobe Residents Threaten Election Boycott As INEC Relocates Voting Centres by APCsupporter: 5:59pm On Feb 22, 2019
Munzy14:
chei! Alhaji only u 30?. lol this people eeh. Yet the most backward in dev and everything.
I swear northerns need a serious enlightment. I mean average and below. The reason usman dan fodio lead a jihad, had returned fully.
The gap between the elites and the below there is like Lagos to Maiduguri

Yes, thats why we are going to vote for our fellow illiterate. We will teach your hero Atiku a lesson.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yobe Residents Threaten Election Boycott As INEC Relocates Voting Centres by obembet(f): 5:59pm On Feb 22, 2019
Nbote:

Make sure one of your eyes open when u sleep in those area
Re: Yobe Residents Threaten Election Boycott As INEC Relocates Voting Centres by AroleOduduwa(m): 6:00pm On Feb 22, 2019
I am currently streaming TVC on YouTube and to my surprise, the presenters seem atikulated, it seem tinubu has given his guys directive to Atikulate
Re: Yobe Residents Threaten Election Boycott As INEC Relocates Voting Centres by Oyimeoyimemua(f): 6:00pm On Feb 22, 2019
Safety first people
Re: Yobe Residents Threaten Election Boycott As INEC Relocates Voting Centres by AllenSpencer: 6:00pm On Feb 22, 2019
Salvador1:

You very right.

PDP had been protecting Nigerians right from the early stages of Boko Haram

Smh...

6 Likes

Re: Yobe Residents Threaten Election Boycott As INEC Relocates Voting Centres by Racoon(m): 6:00pm On Feb 22, 2019
Guess the Buhari-led APC government have repeatedly told the residents and Nigerians that "BH have been technically defeated"?

No room for staggering election.INEC should ensure all the elections held in the new locations.Meanwhile;

https://www.thisdaylive.com/index.php/2019/02/22/bandits-sack-10-katsina-communities-displace-2000-residents/?amp

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Yobe Residents Threaten Election Boycott As INEC Relocates Voting Centres by Nobody: 6:02pm On Feb 22, 2019
“As community leader, I must go and vote, but I want to assured you that 90 percent would not vote this time around because people here are looking for money to feed, let alone transporting themselves to Damaturu for election,” he explained.

God help Nigeria...
Re: Yobe Residents Threaten Election Boycott As INEC Relocates Voting Centres by Pabloosas(m): 6:02pm On Feb 22, 2019
shocked
Re: Yobe Residents Threaten Election Boycott As INEC Relocates Voting Centres by Queseda: 6:03pm On Feb 22, 2019
Only those of you who haven't stayed in the northern part of the country or those who are just mischief makers won't appreciate the progress this government have made in the fight against insurgency. Those of us here before 2015 know how difficult life was at that time, you can't go to places of worship in peace, you get screened at motor parks, you can't hangout in peace with friends without apprehension, we were practically living in fear. All these are things of the past now, but trust Nigerians with their propensity to forget the pains of the past, they've forgotten the Nyanya bombing, the Banex plaza bombing, the bombings in Kano, the bombings in Jos, even a military barrack in the FCT was bombed, and so on.
Posterity will judge everyone of you who wants to take us back the pains of the past

4 Likes

Re: Yobe Residents Threaten Election Boycott As INEC Relocates Voting Centres by ejimatic: 6:03pm On Feb 22, 2019
fergie001:
Voters in Buni yadi, the headquarters of Gujba local government area of Yobe State, have threatened to boycott elections as the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, relocated voting to Damaturu, the Yobe state capital.

Last Sunday, Boko Haram militants launched an attack on military brigade in Buni yadi, killing an officer and 3 soldiers before they were neutralised by the military.

Speaking to Daily Trust on Friday, aggrieved electorate claimed that INEC’s decision was motivated by elites that had refused to return to their ancestral homes.

INEC’s Resident Electoral Commissioner in the state Alhaji Ahmad Makama told our correspondent that the voting areas were relocated to Damaturu after a careful security considerations by heads of security, INEC and all other stakeholders in the council.

“The securities had declared the area unsafe for the election. So safety of live is not guaranteed and we cannot expose our men and materials to any insecurity. That is why we relocated them to Damaturu,” he said.

Alhaji Lawan Garin Goni, the Sarkin Malamai of Buni yadi, said the relocation of the centres to Damaturu would disenfranchise not less than 70 percent voters in the town.

He said that many people said they would not leave their families behind to travel and cast their votes in Damaturu.

“I have not less than thirty registered voters under me. Now only me would go and vote, my wives and students that are eligible voters will not go as far as Damaturu to vote. That would be the problem in every household, ” he said.

Mamman Sarkin Fawa, said that electorate in the town were enthusiastic about the election until the late evening’s announcement.

https://www.dailytrust.com.ng/yobe-voters-threaten-election-boycott-as-inec-relocates-voting-centres.html
. It is better they vote in a safer place than to be exposed to Bokoharam attacks.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yobe Residents Threaten Election Boycott As INEC Relocates Voting Centres by yrex01(m): 6:03pm On Feb 22, 2019
AllenSpencer:

The English you failed to decode appropriately is "technically defeated"
yet he want to die for those embezzle fund meant for proper education. Watch him, he's coming to blame buhari !

1 Like

Re: Yobe Residents Threaten Election Boycott As INEC Relocates Voting Centres by Nobody: 6:03pm On Feb 22, 2019
Do not be shocked if they still vote for 'General' Buhari, - even as a Commander In Chief of all the Armed Forces, who can not protect them.

Tribalism is stupidity.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yobe Residents Threaten Election Boycott As INEC Relocates Voting Centres by Carlyscales: 6:03pm On Feb 22, 2019
A place where elections held successfully in 2015 during the height of Boko Haram reign.

Today after BH has been technically defeated, we are shifting elections.

Una never see anything yet!
Kwantinuuuu voting integrity without capacity

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yobe Residents Threaten Election Boycott As INEC Relocates Voting Centres by enemyofprogress: 6:05pm On Feb 22, 2019
TO CARRY BALLOT BOX RUN ON SATURDAY JUST THEY HUNGRY ME���������

1 Like

Re: Yobe Residents Threaten Election Boycott As INEC Relocates Voting Centres by abdulazeez1002(m): 6:08pm On Feb 22, 2019
Atiku's people grin

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

INEC Job: Despite Criticisms, Senate Set To Recommend Onochie’s Confirmation / Zamfara Council Of Chiefs, Ulama, District Heads, Village Heads Endorse Tinubu / Boko Haram Kills 7 In Kuruburu, Borno Village

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.