Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,704 members, 7,809,681 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:59 PM

Some Nigerian News Site Shut Down? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Some Nigerian News Site Shut Down? (1149 Views)

Assessment Of Some Nigerian Governors In The Year 2015 - Moses Ochonu / Goodluck Jonathan Sizes Himself With Some Nigerian-americans (photo) / Hoodlums Shut Down Alaba International Market On The Orders Of Tinubu's Daughter (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Some Nigerian News Site Shut Down? by Nobody: 3:13pm On Aug 28, 2010
Is it just me, my connection or are some Nigerian news sites shut down?
If yes, why? Because we're closer to election? undecided

Sites:

The Guardian
Nigeriaworld -- All About Nigeria
Vanguard
THISDAY ONLINE / Nigeria news / African views on global news
etc

I might be wrong, just an observation.
Re: Some Nigerian News Site Shut Down? by Beaf: 3:26pm On Aug 28, 2010
I noticed the same thing yesterday and the day before. Highly unusual for so many sites to be down, last week it was Nigerian Village Square.
One cannot rule out the possibility that they are being hacked.

The one thing that links all the downed sites so far, is that they all belong to the responsible section of of the press.
Re: Some Nigerian News Site Shut Down? by Nobody: 3:29pm On Aug 28, 2010
beaf, thanks for the confirmation. lol I thought it was my connection.
Hacked? National/local newspaper, is that possible?
Re: Some Nigerian News Site Shut Down? by Beaf: 3:33pm On Aug 28, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

beaf, thanks for the confirmation. lol I thought it was my connection.
Hacked? National/local newspaper, is that possible?

Yes it is, most of them run on surprisingly useless websites.
Re: Some Nigerian News Site Shut Down? by Afam4eva(m): 3:42pm On Aug 28, 2010
Beaf:

Yes it is, most of them run on surprisingly useless websites.

I think you mean servers.
Re: Some Nigerian News Site Shut Down? by rebranded(m): 6:31pm On Aug 28, 2010
i agree with you, was wondering what was happening also
Re: Some Nigerian News Site Shut Down? by Beaf: 7:12pm On Aug 28, 2010
afam4eva:

I think you mean servers.

No, I really mean websites.
Almost every hack attack on a site is directed squarely at it. Attacks on servers are not cheap to pull off (eg DDoS attacks, which are most common) , they usually need someone or a gang with access to a zombie army or botnet.
The attack (if it was that) on at least one of those papers was directed at the websites database (an experienced eye can tell).

Most Nigerian websites are cut and join, they are built by people who either don't care about security or (in most cases) don't even know about it. The vast majority of 9ja websites can be brought down by kids.
Re: Some Nigerian News Site Shut Down? by Solomon227(m): 10:59pm On Aug 28, 2010
@Ileke
U are very observant. This is my theory. IBB websites and facebook managers are surely experts(they know their onions). They might have invested in fingering with these websites. Jesus! Nairaland might be next. Please can somebody link me to GEJ campaign team. We need to take this battle to the next level of dot.com.
Re: Some Nigerian News Site Shut Down? by chyz(m): 11:01pm On Aug 28, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

Is it just me, my connection or are some Nigerian news sites shut down?
If yes, why? Because we're closer to election? undecided

Sites:

The Guardian
Nigeriaworld -- All About Nigeria
Vanguard
THISDAY ONLINE / Nigeria news / African views on global news
etc

I might be wrong, just an observation.

No its not just you. You are right. I cant get on to any of these sites. I managed to break into vanguard yesterday but not it is completely off limits!
Re: Some Nigerian News Site Shut Down? by PapaBrowne(m): 11:14pm On Aug 28, 2010
I noticed the same thing. The whole thing started with Vanguard some days ago. Now it has spread to a couple good papers.
Funny thing is the likes of Sun Newspapers and Dailytrust are functioning just fine. I have my suspisions!! Someone is testing out some kind of sinister plan.
Re: Some Nigerian News Site Shut Down? by Nobody: 11:18pm On Aug 28, 2010
chyz:

No its not just you. You are right. I cant get on to any of these sites. I managed to break into vanguard yesterday but not it is completely off limits!
Not even going to ask how you broke into vanguard.

But seems like the only news site working are the shi tty ones that barely tells any "intellectual" news.

---

NL is next? LOL, as if they dont already have NL in the palms of their hands
Re: Some Nigerian News Site Shut Down? by rhymz(m): 11:21pm On Aug 28, 2010
Poster
not completely true, I just opened a nigerian news site, 234next.com, opened with ease. You re sure it is not your ISP that is restricting you? It is not possible that all of em will be inaccessible.
Beaf
I don't realy understand all that website-server thingy you are talking about. It is possible, that it is a virus on the server though.
Re: Some Nigerian News Site Shut Down? by Nobody: 11:25pm On Aug 28, 2010
rhymz:

Poster
not completely true, I just opened a nigerian news site, 234next.com, opened with ease. You re sure it is not your ISP that is restricting you? It is not possible that all of em will be inaccessible.
Beaf
I don't realy understand all that website-server thingy you are talking about. It is possible, that it is a virus on the server though.

[b]Some [/b]of them are not working. Seems like the popular most read news sites  are down.
Re: Some Nigerian News Site Shut Down? by PapaBrowne(m): 11:39pm On Aug 28, 2010
rhymz:

Poster
Beaf

234Next is working fine. Try others. Thisday, Tribune, Vanguard, Guardian and a couple others are down.
Re: Some Nigerian News Site Shut Down? by Beaf: 12:32am On Aug 29, 2010
PapaBrowne:

234Next is working fine. Try others. Thisday, Tribune, Vanguard, Guardian and a couple others are down.

234Next runs a fairly decent and robust website.
Re: Some Nigerian News Site Shut Down? by honeric01(m): 12:40am On Aug 29, 2010
Punch id working smoothly, so also are the rest.

Check your isp.
Re: Some Nigerian News Site Shut Down? by Nobody: 12:45am On Aug 29, 2010
honeric01:

Punch id working smoothly, so also are the rest.

Check your isp.
check the ones I listed.
Re: Some Nigerian News Site Shut Down? by honeric01(m): 3:33pm On Aug 29, 2010
^^

I did and it seems they are down again!
Re: Some Nigerian News Site Shut Down? by Nobody: 6:02pm On Aug 29, 2010
honeric01:

^^

I did and it seems they are down again!

So what is going on?
Re: Some Nigerian News Site Shut Down? by honeric01(m): 6:13pm On Aug 29, 2010
^^^^
Dunno, but punch, 123next and guardian are up.
Re: Some Nigerian News Site Shut Down? by monkeyleg: 6:13pm On Aug 29, 2010
Long shot, but the likely scenario is that they are all hosted by the same ISP. ISP has major problem, brings sites down. Wont put is passed that, especially if the ISP is in Nigeria.

(1) (Reply)

The Mystery Behind Gej / Atiku's Campaign Organisation: We Too Dey Laugh Ooooooooooooo! / 234next: Magnus Kpakol And The Keke Napep Scam

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.