Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,456 members, 7,816,063 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:41 AM

Mass Resignation Looms In INEC In Aftermath Of Elections - Vanguard - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Mass Resignation Looms In INEC In Aftermath Of Elections - Vanguard (46712 Views)

Difference Between 2015 And 2019 Postponement Of Elections / Breaking: INEC In Emergency Meeting Over Presidential Election / Onnoghen: Supreme Court Justices Shun Inauguration Of Elections Tribunal (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mass Resignation Looms In INEC In Aftermath Of Elections - Vanguard by ahmedkoded95(m): 9:16am On Feb 28, 2019
RECs, National Commissioners may go in protest

By Johnbosco Agbakwuru

THERE are indications that some Resident Electoral Commissioners, RECs, and National Commissioners of Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, will resign their appointments following alleged intimidation, harassment and threat to life by security agencies during the February 23 presidential and National Assembly elections.

States electoral commissioners and national commissioners alleged that at the height of the threat to their lives, they had looked up to the national chairman of the commission but couldn’t because he was also under intense pressure and massive attack by high profile individuals.

It was gathered that some of the states and national election umpires are living in fear that they may be subjected to severe attacks in the March 9 governorship and House of Assembly elections.

Competent sources close to the RECs and national commissioners claimed that some of the states electoral officers were held hostage during the elections and were even left at the mercy of hoodlums as security personnel attached to protect them curiously disappeared, and left them to the elements when their services were required most.

The sources also accused security agencies, including the military and other paramilitary organisations, of distracting officers of the electoral umpire on the pretense of protecting election facilities and at the same time facilitate illegal distribution of the materials to politicians.

A source said: “If there is no intervention, many of the RECs and national commissioners are contemplating the option of resignation because what they passed through in the hands of security agencies, they have not witnessed it before.

“We have not seen this kind of thing before and all through the preparations. Some of the RECs were held hostage.”

The source further alleged that in some states, collation officers were caught in hotels sharing money and that even those arrested were immediately released as a result of what they described as “orders from above.”

“I think this country is worse than a banana republic,” one of the electoral officer who was a victim of the harassment and intimidation stated.

The officer said that the security agencies involved in the harassment were in a convoy of armored personnel carriers, adding that in some cases, retired security officers were drafted into the ‘ugly’ affair.

“They mutilated result sheets. On the eve of elections, they were moving materials away,’’ the source said.

Besides, the source alleged that the most worrisome aspect of it was that some RECs and National Commissioners condescended by working with politicians to undermine the process.

The source said: “You are not free anymore. You can’t even exchange ideas with your colleagues. It is a complete takeover of INEC by all security agencies.

‘’You will sit in office, a group will say it is from Defence Intelligence, after finishing with you, 10 minutes later another will come from National Intelligence Agency, NIA, not only one person but about three or five and they will sit in your office. So, there was a lot of distractions, you cannot even concentrate.

“Then your office will be filled with security agents under the guise of protecting facilities. You will see about 15 soldiers, police, you can’t count, civil defense, everywhere was just choked up.

“Most of the electoral officers were caged. All these figures they are reeling out have no basis. In the area where they have these bandits, after taking the security men out, early morning of the election, they withdrew the security and left the youth corps members at the mercy of thugs hired by the politicians.

“So the youth corps members were endangered and had to run for their dear lives, they now stuff the boxes. When I was flying out of….it was like I was flying to heaven. It was so terrible that I have never seen this type of election before.”

Another source said: “One fundamental thing why some Resident Electoral Commissioners and National Commissioners are threatening to resign is that chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission that they looked up to was helpless.

“Understandably, even the man who could have led that protection himself was under massive attack.”

One of the sources alleged that in the far north, the results released did not reflect the actual votes cast, especially in Zamfara and Borno as a result of military harassment.

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2019/02/aftermath-of-polls-mass-resignation-looms-in-inec/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mass Resignation Looms In INEC In Aftermath Of Elections - Vanguard by Kwamecron(m): 9:16am On Feb 28, 2019
grin. After dem don chop Atiku money

41 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Mass Resignation Looms In INEC In Aftermath Of Elections - Vanguard by Kwamecron(m): 9:17am On Feb 28, 2019
Jesuuus

Land for sell

Vacancy here pls

1 Like

Re: Mass Resignation Looms In INEC In Aftermath Of Elections - Vanguard by Kyase(m): 9:17am On Feb 28, 2019
Safe journey

7 Likes

Re: Mass Resignation Looms In INEC In Aftermath Of Elections - Vanguard by Bizmagnet: 9:18am On Feb 28, 2019
Dem don collect their money now-salaries, allowances and pensions from politicians during this election.

Election is gone guys but your business and ideas are more inportant to me. Get your website/blog/software today. Check my signature for my contacts.

7 Likes

Re: Mass Resignation Looms In INEC In Aftermath Of Elections - Vanguard by Iyajison: 9:18am On Feb 28, 2019
Resign.... After you've finished scamming Nigeria abi..??

52 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Mass Resignation Looms In INEC In Aftermath Of Elections - Vanguard by Abfinest007(m): 9:23am On Feb 28, 2019
if u guys didn't collect eir money n fail to deliver .ur lives won't be under threat

5 Likes

Re: Mass Resignation Looms In INEC In Aftermath Of Elections - Vanguard by BUSINESSARENAA(m): 9:29am On Feb 28, 2019
It's high time Nigeria started using full electronic voting, it will reduce a whole lot of mess in the System.

118 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Mass Resignation Looms In INEC In Aftermath Of Elections - Vanguard by SocialFinance: 9:29am On Feb 28, 2019
Are these not the same officer involved in sharing Deziani inducement in 2015?

Why are they sounding as something strange happened this time around.

All I see here is lamentations because security agents didn't allow them to deliver for $ they received from politicians.

Crying because their expectations on new flats, vehicle and other luxury wasn't earned as before

Kudos to our security agents.

14 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Mass Resignation Looms In INEC In Aftermath Of Elections - Vanguard by haywire07(m): 9:39am On Feb 28, 2019
God bless our well informed security operatives.

They know of how many inec officials who received money to turn votes , and so they moved in quickly to stop them from delivering.

I'm only scared that some of them would be assassinated for not delivering on what they were paid for

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Mass Resignation Looms In INEC In Aftermath Of Elections - Vanguard by festacman(m): 9:48am On Feb 28, 2019
The positions they will leave, others will take. Nigeria must move on.

16 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Mass Resignation Looms In INEC In Aftermath Of Elections - Vanguard by Kundagarten: 9:49am On Feb 28, 2019
Worst INEC in history.

42 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mass Resignation Looms In INEC In Aftermath Of Elections - Vanguard by hisexcellency34: 9:50am On Feb 28, 2019
Just imagine a man like Oshiomhole calling the Akwa Ibom REC, Mike Igini to rig the election for Akpabio. APC is a fraud

36 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mass Resignation Looms In INEC In Aftermath Of Elections - Vanguard by AroleOduduwa(m): 10:07am On Feb 28, 2019
I weep for Nigeria, they have raped her hard earned democracy.

9 Likes

Re: Mass Resignation Looms In INEC In Aftermath Of Elections - Vanguard by Hedonisst: 10:21am On Feb 28, 2019
Nigeria is indeed worse than a banana republic. I'm too depressed by the state of the country under Buhari.

15 Likes

Re: Mass Resignation Looms In INEC In Aftermath Of Elections - Vanguard by TheFreeOne: 10:40am On Feb 28, 2019
It is a false hope and a waste of time to think current political structure can work for the betterment of the masses. It only benefits politicians and their cronies.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mass Resignation Looms In INEC In Aftermath Of Elections - Vanguard by Ccagoke: 10:53am On Feb 28, 2019
Lies! Nigerians don't resign from juicy positions.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mass Resignation Looms In INEC In Aftermath Of Elections - Vanguard by whoisoladipo: 10:53am On Feb 28, 2019
Watch how to get the YOUR DREAM JOB. [url]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbtTWzieAr0 [/url]
Re: Mass Resignation Looms In INEC In Aftermath Of Elections - Vanguard by slawomir: 10:54am On Feb 28, 2019
The whole exercise was a charade

5 Likes

Re: Mass Resignation Looms In INEC In Aftermath Of Elections - Vanguard by sojayy(m): 10:54am On Feb 28, 2019
Then mass recruitment will start......soldier go, soldier come

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mass Resignation Looms In INEC In Aftermath Of Elections - Vanguard by Dottore: 10:54am On Feb 28, 2019
Ok
Re: Mass Resignation Looms In INEC In Aftermath Of Elections - Vanguard by Nobody: 10:54am On Feb 28, 2019
See you again in 2023.
The people's CHOICE has been voted in for now, that is all Nigerians want.
Only pigs are sad with that.
I love d presido .
NEXT LEVEL tinz

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mass Resignation Looms In INEC In Aftermath Of Elections - Vanguard by lonelydora: 10:54am On Feb 28, 2019
Abeg, i need the job. How do i submit CV?

2 Likes

Re: Mass Resignation Looms In INEC In Aftermath Of Elections - Vanguard by EdidemOluomo: 10:55am On Feb 28, 2019
Ccagoke:
Lies! Nigerians don't resign from juicy positions.

Not when your family is in danger.
Like serious Danger o

1 Like

Re: Mass Resignation Looms In INEC In Aftermath Of Elections - Vanguard by Nobody: 10:55am On Feb 28, 2019
This election Yorubas are hailing because of Osinbajo. Last tenure he was more of a dustin in the administration, this time he will be the dust.
I will always be proud of my Igbo heritage, we don't celebrate failure no matter who the failure is! Even if Buhari contested with Peter Obi and Atiku with Osinbajo we will still vote Atiku!

18 Likes

Re: Mass Resignation Looms In INEC In Aftermath Of Elections - Vanguard by Abeyjide: 10:55am On Feb 28, 2019
opportunity go open
Re: Mass Resignation Looms In INEC In Aftermath Of Elections - Vanguard by futurism: 10:55am On Feb 28, 2019
BUSINESSARENAA:
It's high time Nigeria started using full electronic voting, it will reduce a whole lot of mess in the System.

the North will allow you abi? Dream on.

4 Likes

Re: Mass Resignation Looms In INEC In Aftermath Of Elections - Vanguard by Ibechuks: 10:55am On Feb 28, 2019
Its all good. God save this country
Re: Mass Resignation Looms In INEC In Aftermath Of Elections - Vanguard by SPOILT9JAOLOSHO(m): 10:55am On Feb 28, 2019
Thank God for the gift of life
Happy birthday to me
Guys shower me with some love pls

13 Likes

Re: Mass Resignation Looms In INEC In Aftermath Of Elections - Vanguard by Chubhie: 10:55am On Feb 28, 2019
Imagine the sham of an election under Mr integrity?

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Sowore: Soyinka, Shehu Sani, Deji Adeyanju Arrive Abuja High Court (Photos) / FCT, Lagos, Ogun Communities Ignore Lockdown Order / David Hundeyin Releases Obafemi Hamzat's USA Naturalization Records

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.