Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,896 members, 7,817,641 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:07 PM

Do Certificates Matter In Programming - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Do Certificates Matter In Programming (2608 Views)

What Made You Pick Interest In Programming / Differences Between Testing And Debugging In Programming Of Software Application / Here Is Why You Should First Learn Python As A Beginner In Programming (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do Certificates Matter In Programming by TheManOfTheYear: 9:44pm On Mar 03, 2019
Hi Guys, I just started learning Web Development and Programming, but one thing that strikes my mind is certifications in the field.

I know Programming is a skill-based job and it's one's skill that matters the most, but I've seen some programmers getting certifications and all that. While others don't have any.

So does it really matter?
Re: Do Certificates Matter In Programming by stanliwise(m): 9:55pm On Mar 03, 2019
TheManOfTheYear:
Hi Guys, I just started learning Web Development and Programming, but one thing that strikes my mind is certifications in the field.

I know Programming is a skill-based job and it's one's skill that matters the most, but I've seen some programmers getting certifications and all that. While others don't have any.

yeah it does really matter except you want to be a freelancer

1 Like

Re: Do Certificates Matter In Programming by TheManOfTheYear: 10:02pm On Mar 03, 2019
stanliwise:
yeah it does really matter except you want to be a freelancer
Sorry what's a freelancer?
Cuz I'm still a novice in this field
Re: Do Certificates Matter In Programming by stanliwise(m): 10:06pm On Mar 03, 2019
TheManOfTheYear:
Sorry what's a freelancer?
Cuz I'm still a novice in this field
A freelancers is a person that code and programs on his/her own and do not work under any company whatsoever.
He just create stuffs for people and get paid and do some offshore job for company.
It doesn't require certificates most times, as far you can get the work done that is all.
Re: Do Certificates Matter In Programming by TheManOfTheYear: 10:43pm On Mar 03, 2019
stanliwise:
A freelancers is a person that code and programs on his/her own and do not work under any company whatsoever.
He just create stuffs for people and get paid and do some offshore job for company.
It doesn't require certificates most times, as far you can get the work done that is all.
Wow. Thank you so very much. You're blessed
Re: Do Certificates Matter In Programming by hustler2828: 10:55pm On Mar 03, 2019
Certificate in programming keh? To me cerficate is worthless . When it comes to programming, all that matters most is your experience. That is, projects you have built or contributed in building. No matter hard you learn you can not know it all in programming not even a single langue like python. You can never know it all. And no certification can certify that you are this or that in programming.
You are better off doing projects with your skills to proof your worth rather than looking for certification.

4 Likes

Re: Do Certificates Matter In Programming by greatface(m): 11:47pm On Mar 03, 2019
The best certificate you'll need is your projects. Either as a freelancer or full time employee.

Certificates though, is an added advantage but not often considered except in life critical projects as found in medical fields, flights, etc.

3 Likes

Re: Do Certificates Matter In Programming by Quicksilver14: 11:57pm On Mar 03, 2019
Been in this programming (game develop) business for a while(2years) now, and certificate is'nt that necessary, depending on the company you want to work for, some just need the number of completed projects by you, some require a certificate, but the skill is what is required always. Cause it's not your certificate that will program is it?

1 Like

Re: Do Certificates Matter In Programming by error4040: 12:42am On Mar 04, 2019
TheManOfTheYear:

Bro Wussup with you ?

how far have you gone with The Languages.
Re: Do Certificates Matter In Programming by TheManOfTheYear: 1:28am On Mar 04, 2019
error4040:

Bro Wussup with you ?

how far have you gone with The Languages.
Bro I hail o.
I'm still in the basics. I'm on HTML and CSS tutorials.
These are the basics for web development.

From there I'll proceed to javascript and the likes.

1 Like

Re: Do Certificates Matter In Programming by TheManOfTheYear: 1:30am On Mar 04, 2019
hustler2828:
Certificate in programming keh? To me cerficate is worthless . When it comes to programming, all that matters most is your experience. That is, projects you have built or contributed in building. No matter hard you learn you can not know it all in programming not even a single langue like python. You can never know it all. And no certification can certify that you are this or that in programming.
You are better off doing projects with your skills to proof your worth rather than looking for certification.
This is explicit. Thanks for the insight
Re: Do Certificates Matter In Programming by TheManOfTheYear: 1:31am On Mar 04, 2019
Quicksilver14:
Been in this programming (game develop) business for a while(2years) now, and certificate is'nt that necessary, depending on the company you want to work for, some just need the number of completed projects by you, some require a certificate, but the skill is what is required always. Cause it's not your certificate that will program is it?
yeah true. That means you must be good in Java.

Where best can I learn Java?
Re: Do Certificates Matter In Programming by error4040: 10:43am On Mar 04, 2019
TheManOfTheYear:
Bro I hail o.

OK!
Am also Still learning Currently on JavaScript level
here is my lil Advice.

if you're on Android I believe you have Vidmate.
then Search for Thenewboston & EJ Media both on YouTube, download their videos both I.e each Have his own HTML CSS & JAVASCRIPT JQUERY PHP video tutorial max 7-13Mb per videos. Download All because they will come in Handy meaning the video Tutorials are different.
Note: why I suggested you download the two videos is to help you have different approach & view on the specific tutorials with quicker understanding.
And lastly always Remember Dedication is key and practice makes one perfect.

Do have a nice day Ahead. cool
Re: Do Certificates Matter In Programming by TheManOfTheYear: 1:01pm On Mar 04, 2019
error4040:

OK!
here is my lil Advice.

then Search for Thenewboston & EJ Media both on YouTube, download their videos both I.e each Have his own HTML CSS & JAVASCRIPT JQUERY PHP video tutorial max 7-13Mb per videos. Download All because they will come in Handy meaning the video Tutorials are different.
Note: why I suggested you download the two videos is to help you have different approach & view on the specific tutorials with quicker understanding.

Thanks alot bro for this invaluable tips. I'll follow your way. And I'm also using SoloLearn app, the app has been really helpful plus it has a great online community of fellow users who can help you out when you're lost.

Thanks once again

1 Like

Re: Do Certificates Matter In Programming by error4040: 1:40pm On Mar 04, 2019
TheManOfTheYear:
Thanks alot bro for this invaluable tips. I'll follow your way. And I'm also using SoloLearn app, the app has been really helpful plus it has a great online community of fellow users who can help you out when you're lost.

Thanks once again
Thanks, would check the App.
Re: Do Certificates Matter In Programming by afuye(m): 2:09pm On Mar 04, 2019
i sell programming courses check my profile
TheManOfTheYear:
Bro I hail o.

Re: Do Certificates Matter In Programming by Nobody: 2:53pm On Mar 04, 2019
error4040:

OK!
here is my lil Advice.

Hello bro!
Can I have your digits?
Currently learning JavaScript too.
Re: Do Certificates Matter In Programming by CodeTemplar: 7:16pm On Mar 04, 2019
Yes. If you stand side by side with a certified programmer, it is the certificate that will give a potential employer clue as to who can do what. Your portfolio too is good but not a certificate.
A combo of some works and a certificate is best. It shows you didn't cram and demonstrate what you can do.
Re: Do Certificates Matter In Programming by CodeTemplar: 7:32pm On Mar 04, 2019
hustler2828:

A certificate matters in programming. Any serious HR doing recruitment will need to be sure the new programmer employee is certified. Programming goes beyond making a program just work but being able to work in a team environment and the best way to do that is by being certified to demonstrate you understanding of standard coding ethics.
Re: Do Certificates Matter In Programming by hustler2828: 7:36pm On Mar 04, 2019
CodeTemplar:

Lol I no get body for argument I'm saying what I've seen and experienced goodluck in your search for certification.

A certificate matters in programming. Any serious HR doing recruitment will need to be sure the new programmer employee is certified. Programming goes beyond making a program just work but being able to work in a team environment and the best way to do that is by being certified to demonstrate you understanding of standard coding ethics.

Re: Do Certificates Matter In Programming by stanliwise(m): 7:37pm On Mar 04, 2019
CodeTemplar:
Yes. If you stand side by side with a certified programmer, it is the certificate that will give a potential employer clue as to who can do what. Your portfolio too is good but not a certificate.
A combo of some works and a certificate is best. It shows you didn't cram and demonstrate what you can do.
very on point
Re: Do Certificates Matter In Programming by stanliwise(m): 7:38pm On Mar 04, 2019
CodeTemplar:

very correct
Re: Do Certificates Matter In Programming by Quicksilver14: 9:03pm On Mar 04, 2019
TheManOfTheYear:
yeah true. That means you must be good in Java.

Where best can I learn Java?

As suprising as it seems, i can't write a single line of code in Java, I use C#. Anyways, YouTube is the best place to learn anything

2 Likes

Re: Do Certificates Matter In Programming by CodeTemplar: 9:35pm On Mar 04, 2019
hustler2828:

Lol I no get body for argument I'm saying what I've seen and experienced goodluck in your search for certification.
Certification is good just like for any other field. Plus I am not the one certifying here.
Re: Do Certificates Matter In Programming by TheManOfTheYear: 9:54pm On Mar 04, 2019
CodeTemplar:
Certification is good just like for any other field. Plus I am not the one certifying here.
So how best can one become certified. Cuz I see my self committing a long term future in the IT world
Re: Do Certificates Matter In Programming by stanliwise(m): 10:18pm On Mar 04, 2019
TheManOfTheYear:
So how best can one become certified. Cuz I see my self committing a long term future in the IT world
university cert in csc, math, engineering would do.
If you have a bsc in order field then write professional IT and programming exams. one I know is BCE.
Re: Do Certificates Matter In Programming by TheManOfTheYear: 10:36pm On Mar 04, 2019
stanliwise:
university cert in csc, math, engineering would do.
If you have a bsc in order field then write professional IT and programming exams. one I know is BCE.
OK thanks. Because I fall into the latter category. Thanks a lot

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

I Need A Tutor To Teach Me Coding / Enterprise E-learning Portal Development / Why You Have To Learn Python Programming In 2020: Get Free Ebooks

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.