Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,488 members, 7,830,462 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 10:44 PM

What Do You Understand By Ash Wednesday? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Do You Understand By Ash Wednesday? (9442 Views)

Insecurity: Catholics In Nigeria To Wear Black Outfits On Ash Wednesday / What Do You Understand By Blaspheming Against The Holy Ghost? / Meaning Of Ash Wednesday And Why Anglicans Celebrate It (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Do You Understand By Ash Wednesday? by Infomaz(m): 9:48am On Mar 06, 2019
I've been searching the Bible for it... Nothing remotely connected to it is mentioned and none of the apostles or disciples practice it... For hundreds of years after Jesus ascended to heaven

2 Likes

Re: What Do You Understand By Ash Wednesday? by krushdripper(m): 9:50am On Mar 06, 2019
Xtianity stinks
Re: What Do You Understand By Ash Wednesday? by kezid(m): 9:52am On Mar 06, 2019
Ash Wednesday begins the 40 days journey(Lent) to Easter. Signifying Christ 40 days of Prayer and Fasting. It also remind us that "You are Dust and unto Dust you shall Return" Ecclesiastes 3:20.
#ProudlyCatholic

1 Like

Re: What Do You Understand By Ash Wednesday? by anonymuz(m): 9:52am On Mar 06, 2019
peteruuu:
I need to ask this....

Is ash Wednesday even originated by GOD, as in...in the Bible?

Or a Roman Catholic dogma?
It was the practice in Rome for penitents to begin their period of public penance on the first day of Lent. They were sprinkled with ashes, dressed in sackcloth, and obliged to remain apart until they were reconciled with the Christian community on Maundy Thursday, the Thursday before Easter. When these practices fell into disuse (8th–10th century), the beginning of the penitential season of Lent was symbolized by placing ashes on the heads of the entire congregation. Source: encyclopedia britannica
Re: What Do You Understand By Ash Wednesday? by Partaker(m): 9:58am On Mar 06, 2019
SheikhMuniru:
I Studied Little Of The Bible Even As Islamic Scholar... It Is A Day Of Sober Reflection, A Day That Refresh Xtian's Memory That From Dust They Were Made, So Shall They Go Back To Dust
very surprise that this is coming from a muslim..may God increase ur wisdom

2 Likes

Re: What Do You Understand By Ash Wednesday? by apelike1: 10:00am On Mar 06, 2019
Campusparot:
What Do You Understand By Ash Wednesday?

Prayer for today

Gracious God, today begins a period of inner reflection and examination. The days stretch before me and invite me inward to that silent, holy space that holds your Spirit. This special time beckons me to see my life through Christ's eyes and the truth and reality of your love incarnate. Give me the grace to enter the space of these days with anticipation of our meeting. And, when I open my soul to your presence, let your loving kindness flow over me and seep into the pockets of my heart. I ask this for the sake of your love.

ASH WEDNESDAY
idol worshippers is celebrating Ash Wednesday

Give your life to Christ Jesus and stop worshipping mother Mary statue undecided

1 Like

Re: What Do You Understand By Ash Wednesday? by Emma1Oj(m): 10:01am On Mar 06, 2019
Food and sex strike...!!! But humanitarian service.
Re: What Do You Understand By Ash Wednesday? by Truefaith: 10:01am On Mar 06, 2019
Vgf
Re: What Do You Understand By Ash Wednesday? by oobinna: 10:02am On Mar 06, 2019
OCEANMORGAN:
undecided

A Wednesday when Catholic Church members get ash rubbed on their forehead in a cross like sign.
Or
Ash Wednesday is a Christian holy day of prayer, fasting, and repentance. It is preceded by Shrove Tuesday and falls on the first day of Lent, the six weeks of penitence before Easter. Source: Wikipedia

Catholics
Re: What Do You Understand By Ash Wednesday? by chizzykwekez: 10:05am On Mar 06, 2019
Ash Wednesday is only a reminder for mankind that ash we came, ash we will return...
For those asking the biblical connotations, recall that people of Ninevah had to apply ash to show God how remorseful they are for disobeying him. For that act alone, they were forgiven...
For meat, you are told to deny your self something you enjoy, so it could be other things, that is the reason meat is forfeited not that you can't eat meat other days of lent.
If you don't understand the meaning, simply ask instead of criticizing the mother church formed by no man..but God himself, which is d reason gate of hell can only try but can never defeat it.
Proudly Catholic.
Happy ash Wednesday..

1 Like

Re: What Do You Understand By Ash Wednesday? by CharlieMaria(m): 10:09am On Mar 06, 2019
apelike1:
idol worshippers is celebrating Ash Wednesday

Give your life to Christ Jesus and stop worshipping mother Mary status undecided
Why Not concerned yourself with learning how to spell first, before attacking The Catholic use of Statue.
Re: What Do You Understand By Ash Wednesday? by apelike1: 10:09am On Mar 06, 2019
peteruuu:
I need to ask this....

Jesus Christ didn't tell us to put Ash in our forehead and walking the road like lunatic!

There is not a single mention of putting Ash in our body to signifier anything.

Catholic is a demonic church that preach differently from the Bible!

No wonder Igbos love that church

1 Like

Re: What Do You Understand By Ash Wednesday? by apelike1: 10:11am On Mar 06, 2019
CharlieMaria:

Why Not concerned yourself with learning how to spell first, before attacking The Catholic use of Statue.
mistake my dear!

Are you happy now! kiss did it add any Kobo to your wallet?

Ode
Re: What Do You Understand By Ash Wednesday? by apelike1: 10:14am On Mar 06, 2019
chizzykwekez:
Ash Wednesday is only a reminder for mankind that ash we came, ash we will return...
For those asking the biblical connotations, recall that people of Ninevah had to apply ash to show God how remorseful they are for disobeying him. For that act alone, they were forgiven...
For meat, you are told to deny your self something you enjoy, so it could be other things, that is the reason meat is forfeited not that you can't eat meat other days of lent.
If you don't understand the meaning, simply ask instead of criticizing the mother church formed by no man..but God himself, which is d reason gate of hell can only try but can never defeat it.
Proudly Catholic.
Happy ash Wednesday..
you interpret the Bible upside down!
Re: What Do You Understand By Ash Wednesday? by Ezelevify: 10:15am On Mar 06, 2019
The symbols of the ash ascribed on the forehead
1. It reminds us that we are dust and unto dust shall we return.
2. Sign of mourning and
3. Sign of repentance.

Have a wonderful Lenten season.

1 Like

Re: What Do You Understand By Ash Wednesday? by bencr7: 10:16am On Mar 06, 2019
peteruuu:
I need to ask this....

there is noting like it in d bible

1 Like

Re: What Do You Understand By Ash Wednesday? by ejimatic: 10:20am On Mar 06, 2019
Charleschidera:

Is 25th December in the Bible?

All this are just a day fixed for memorial.

Thanks
December 25 not in the Bible...Easter not in the Bible.....only thing I saw in the Bible is the memorial of the death of Jesus Luke 22:19. Others are man made memorials and festivals based on tradition. Everybody can whether to be guided by Bible or baseless religious traditions.. individual decision is respected.

1 Like

Re: What Do You Understand By Ash Wednesday? by Nobody: 10:24am On Mar 06, 2019
peteruuu:
I need to ask this....

why are you all shouting Catholics? Anglicans, methodists and Presbyterian observe lent too as a period of sober reflection on the love of Christ. During this period, we help the needy, this is just an earthly way of showing the Love of Christ, through Compassion for our fellow humans.

In confirmation we are taught if we dont love our neighbour who we see daily, how much be it God who we haven't seen? Ash Wednesday also reminds us we are dust, and dust would we return.

Finally but not the least as the list is long, to show our love for Christ, we deprive ourselves from things we love. The bible says we are slaves to that which controls us. This period helps addicts to stop habits like drinking, drugs and the likes because is a period of fasting, humility and reflection. Most importantly, reading the word of God.

I hope I was able to clarify the significance of Lent. I find it cowardice for other churches to condemn lent, but celebrate Easter. If you cant suffer with Christ, you want to enjoy with him by eating Chicken on Easter day, yet you cant go through the biblical 40days he fasted in the bible, yet you ask where LENT IS IN THE BIBLE , BUT NOT EASTER? HYPOCRITES. WE LIVE AND DIE IN CHRIST, AS THAT IS OUR GAIN.

1 Like

Re: What Do You Understand By Ash Wednesday? by ejimatic: 10:25am On Mar 06, 2019
Campusparot:

Prayer for today

Gracious God, today begins a period of inner reflection and examination. The days stretch before me and invite me inward to that silent, holy space that holds your Spirit. This special time beckons me to see my life through Christ's eyes and the truth and reality of your love incarnate. Give me the grace to enter the space of these days with anticipation of our meeting. And, when I open my soul to your presence, let your loving kindness flow over me and seep into the pockets of my heart. I ask this for the sake of your love.

ASH WEDNESDAY
Ash Wednesday is not .in the Bible December 25 not in the Bible...Easter not in the Bible.....only thing I saw in the Bible is the memorial of the death of Jesus Luke 22:19. Others are man made memorials and festivals based on tradition. Everybody can decide whether to be guided by Bible or baseless religious traditions.. individual decision is respected.
Re: What Do You Understand By Ash Wednesday? by gbolabodada(m): 10:46am On Mar 06, 2019
freemanbubble:

Don't mind them
I saw alot of them inside uniben this morning. They are bunch of hypnotized beings by that low budget asss Moda fuckkking son of a broke asss carpenter called Jesus whose mother was a broke assss prostitute through him the world was completely deceived to believe that there is one imaginary supreme being up in the sky called God

Am sorry for you
Re: What Do You Understand By Ash Wednesday? by Terver90: 11:14am On Mar 06, 2019
The church has suffered so much beyond the imagination of any being but it waxes stronger. My candid advice is that you should channel your energy for a more productive venture.
Re: What Do You Understand By Ash Wednesday? by peteruuu(m): 11:31am On Mar 06, 2019
apelike1:
Jesus Christ didn't tell us to put Ash in our forehead and walking the road like lunatic!

There is not a single mention of putting Ash in our body to signifier anything.

Catholic is a demonic church that preach differently from the Bible!

No wonder Igbos love that church
My brother, I wish I could love your comment a trillion times!.
I already knew this, I just wanted few to know this. I know it is customary for people to attack the truth, but it doesn't matter. May God open people's spiritual eyes. Amen.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Do You Understand By Ash Wednesday? by peteruuu(m): 11:32am On Mar 06, 2019
Charleschidera:

It is a sign of repentance.... Read your Bible bro

People of Nineveh poured ash and wore sack clothes to show that they have repented from their sins

Also, Ash reminds us that we are made of dust and dust shall we return......

Yinmu.
It's all pagan worship bro. It's a lie of the devil.
Apologies sir.
Re: What Do You Understand By Ash Wednesday? by EdifiedHebrew: 11:43am On Mar 06, 2019
Campusparot:

Prayer for today

ASH WEDNESDAY

All these are false and satanic doctrines established by the enemies of the most high.

why burning palms with fire ?
palms is a sign of victory
why was it called Ash wednesday?
cross is a symbol of death, the false priests marks death on your foreheads.

Please where can i find this evil doctrine in the bible?

why the disciples of Yahawashi Hamasciach whom you called Jesus Christ did not do Ash wednesday?

Ash wednesday is an abomination to the Most High.

Please the children of Yahawashi Hamasciach don't follow this satanic doctrine.

1TIMOTHY 4:1 Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils;

2 Speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron;

3 Forbidding to marry, and commanding to abstain from meats, which God hath created to be received with thanksgiving of them which believe and know the truth. (On ASH wednesday, they commanding people to abstain from meats, this is evil doctrine)

MATTHEW 24:3 And as he sat upon the mount of Olives, the disciples came unto him privately, saying, Tell us, when shall these things be? and what shall be the sign of thy coming, and of the end of the world?

4 And Jesus answered and said unto them, Take heed that no man deceive you.

5 For many shall come in my name, saying, I am Christ; and shall deceive many.

10 And then shall many be offended, and shall betray one another, and shall hate one another.

11 And many false prophets shall rise, and shall deceive many.

12 And because iniquity shall abound, the love of many shall wax cold.

13 But he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved.

2CORINTHIANS 11:3 But I fear, lest by any means, as the serpent beguiled Eve through his subtilty, so your minds should be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ.

4 For if he that cometh preacheth another Jesus, whom we have not preached, or if ye receive another spirit, which ye have not received, or another gospel, which ye have not accepted, ye might well bear with him.
13 For such are false apostles, deceitful workers, transforming themselves into the apostles of Christ.

14 And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light.

15 Therefore it is no great thing if his ministers also be transformed as the ministers of righteousness; whose end shall be according to their works.

DANIEL 7:25 And he shall speak great words against the most High, and shall wear out the saints of the most High, and think to change times and laws: and they shall be given into his hand until a time and times and the dividing of time.

26 But the judgment shall sit, and they shall take away his dominion, to consume and to destroy it unto the end.

27 And the kingdom and dominion, and the greatness of the kingdom under the whole heaven, shall be given to the people of the saints of the most High, whose kingdom is an everlasting kingdom, and all dominions shall serve and obey him.

28 Hitherto is the end of the matter. As for me Daniel, my cogitations much troubled me, and my countenance changed in me: but I kept the matter in my heart

REVELATION 13:3 And I saw one of his heads as it were wounded to death; and his deadly wound was healed: and all the world wondered after the beast.

4 And they worshipped the dragon which gave power unto the beast: and they worshipped the beast, saying, Who is like unto the beast? who is able to make war with him?

5 And there was given unto him a mouth speaking great things and blasphemies; and power was given unto him to continue forty and two months.

6 And he opened his mouth in blasphemy against God, to blaspheme his name, and his tabernacle, and them that dwell in heaven.

7 And it was given unto him to make war with the saints, and to overcome them: and power was given him over all kindreds, and tongues, and nations.

8 And all that dwell upon the earth shall worship him, whose names are not written in the book of life of the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world.

9 If any man have an ear, let him hear.

10 He that leadeth into captivity shall go into captivity: he that killeth with the sword must be killed with the sword. Here is the patience and the faith of the saints.

11 And I beheld another beast coming up out of the earth; and he had two horns like a lamb, and he spake as a dragon.

12 And he exerciseth all the power of the first beast before him, and causeth the earth and them which dwell therein to worship the first beast, whose deadly wound was healed.

13 And he doeth great wonders, so that he maketh fire come down from heaven on the earth in the sight of men,

14 And deceiveth them that dwell on the earth by the means of those miracles which he had power to do in the sight of the beast; saying to them that dwell on the earth, that they should make an image to the beast, which had the wound by a sword, and did live.

15 And he had power to give life unto the image of the beast, that the image of the beast should both speak, and cause that as many as would not worship the image of the beast should be killed.

16 And he causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their right hand, or in their foreheads:

17 And that no man might buy or sell, save he that had the mark, or the name of the beast, or the number of his name.

18 Here is wisdom. Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast: for it is the number of a man; and his number is Six hundred threescore and six.
Re: What Do You Understand By Ash Wednesday? by EdifiedHebrew: 11:52am On Mar 06, 2019
kezid:
Ash Wednesday begins the 40 days journey(Lent) to Easter. Signifying Christ 40 days of Prayer and Fasting. It also remind us that "You are Dust and unto Dust you shall Return" Ecclesiastes 3:20.
#ProudlyCatholic

Yahawashi Hamasciach fasted before he started his ministry. not on Ash wednesday and there is no where in the bible Yahawah asked us to do ash wednesday. The most high never gave us a commandment to do Ash wednesday ? please proof it by precepts upon precepts.

PROVERBS 4:1 Hear, ye children, the instruction of a father, and attend to know understanding.

2 For I give you good doctrine, forsake ye not my law.

3 For I was my father's son, tender and only beloved in the sight of my mother.

4 He taught me also, and said unto me, Let thine heart retain my words: keep my commandments, and live.

5 Get wisdom, get understanding: forget it not; neither decline from the words of my mouth.

6 Forsake her not, and she shall preserve thee: love her, and she shall keep thee.

7 Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding.

8 Exalt her, and she shall promote thee: she shall bring thee to honour, when thou dost embrace her.

9 She shall give to thine head an ornament of grace: a crown of glory shall she deliver to thee.

10 Hear, O my son, and receive my sayings; and the years of thy life shall be many.

11 I have taught thee in the way of wisdom; I have led thee in right paths.

12 When thou goest, thy steps shall not be straitened; and when thou runnest, thou shalt not stumble.

13 Take fast hold of instruction; let her not go: keep her; for she is thy life.

14 Enter not into the path of the wicked, and go not in the way of evil men.

15 Avoid it, pass not by it, turn from it, and pass away.

16 For they sleep not, except they have done mischief; and their sleep is taken away, unless they cause some to fall.

17 For they eat the bread of wickedness, and drink the wine of violence.

18 But the path of the just is as the shining light, that shineth more and more unto the perfect day.

19 The way of the wicked is as darkness: they know not at what they stumble.

20 My son, attend to my words; incline thine ear unto my sayings.

21 Let them not depart from thine eyes; keep them in the midst of thine heart.

22 For they are life unto those that find them, and health to all their flesh.

23 Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life.

24 Put away from thee a froward mouth, and perverse lips put far from thee.

25 Let thine eyes look right on, and let thine eyelids look straight before thee.

26 Ponder the path of thy feet, and let all thy ways be established.

27 Turn not to the right hand nor to the left: remove thy foot from evil.
Re: What Do You Understand By Ash Wednesday? by PrincewithGod(m): 12:18pm On Mar 06, 2019
It is a day catholics gather to perform one of their idolatrous rituals imported from the worship of strange gods into their own form of Christianity.
Read the Bible and pray for the spirit of understanding to guide you through.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Do You Understand By Ash Wednesday? by Revolva(m): 12:31pm On Mar 06, 2019
Ash Wednesday my as.s I no even know weda anything like dat de happen ...balderdash brainwashed myth
Re: What Do You Understand By Ash Wednesday? by poweredcom(m): 12:36pm On Mar 06, 2019
Ashewo Wednesday I guess today I must hammer one olosho

For naija even ashewo de go church e get one ashewo we I de always bang if u see the Bible wey de her room she de also pray and she is a wh.ore

On Sundays if she dress sit down for congregation you can't know she is a who.re

Hahhaa

Infact 70% of naija gals are Oloshos some na house dem de do theirs some online some are very honest in hotels around those ones don sign ...hahahahaa

1 Like

Re: What Do You Understand By Ash Wednesday? by DavidEsq(m): 1:23pm On Mar 06, 2019
peteruuu:
I need to ask this....

It's not in the bible. The book of revelation 22:18 speaks against importing things that ar not not in the bible, into the bible. It says:
I am bearing witness to everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this scroll: If anyone makes an addition to these things, God will add to him the plagues that are written in this scroll;

1 Like

Re: What Do You Understand By Ash Wednesday? by HallaDaTruth: 1:26pm On Mar 06, 2019
Ash Wednesday is occultic . If you know you know

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

What Is The Book Of Enoch And Should It Be In The Bible? / How To Pray With Salt And Honey For Favor / Is It True That The Man Christ Is Not God?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.