Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,518 members, 7,812,601 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 04:03 PM

What Do You Understand By Ash Wednesday? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Do You Understand By Ash Wednesday? (9426 Views)

Insecurity: Catholics In Nigeria To Wear Black Outfits On Ash Wednesday / What Do You Understand By Blaspheming Against The Holy Ghost? / Meaning Of Ash Wednesday And Why Anglicans Celebrate It (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Do You Understand By Ash Wednesday? by Campusparot: 12:51am On Mar 06, 2019
What Do You Understand By Ash Wednesday?

Prayer for today

Gracious God, today begins a period of inner reflection and examination. The days stretch before me and invite me inward to that silent, holy space that holds your Spirit. This special time beckons me to see my life through Christ's eyes and the truth and reality of your love incarnate. Give me the grace to enter the space of these days with anticipation of our meeting. And, when I open my soul to your presence, let your loving kindness flow over me and seep into the pockets of my heart. I ask this for the sake of your love.

ASH WEDNESDAY

9 Likes

Re: What Do You Understand By Ash Wednesday? by CreepyBlackpool: 1:06am On Mar 06, 2019
Its a day that people queue up in church to get dirt rubbed on their faces and for some reason happily carry this dirt for the entire day.

Oh, I hear they also stay off meat on the day

15 Likes 4 Shares

Re: What Do You Understand By Ash Wednesday? by Nobody: 1:58am On Mar 06, 2019
undecided

A Wednesday when Catholic Church members get ash rubbed on their forehead in a cross like sign.
Or
Ash Wednesday is a Christian holy day of prayer, fasting, and repentance. It is preceded by Shrove Tuesday and falls on the first day of Lent, the six weeks of penitence before Easter. Source: Wikipedia

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Do You Understand By Ash Wednesday? by peteruuu(m): 9:36am On Mar 06, 2019
I need to ask this....

Is ash Wednesday even originated by GOD, as in...in the Bible?

Or a Roman Catholic dogma?

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Do You Understand By Ash Wednesday? by Jestin: 9:36am On Mar 06, 2019
Holly season for us all
Re: What Do You Understand By Ash Wednesday? by ojimbo(m): 9:36am On Mar 06, 2019
Just a Roman culture and has nothing to do with Africans

6 Likes

Re: What Do You Understand By Ash Wednesday? by stanliwise(m): 9:36am On Mar 06, 2019
OP for this years you have been hearing ash Wednesday. you didn't ask this question
Re: What Do You Understand By Ash Wednesday? by Pope22(m): 9:37am On Mar 06, 2019
The day we start to avoid eating meat
Re: What Do You Understand By Ash Wednesday? by mrkings84(m): 9:37am On Mar 06, 2019
What else if not the Wednesday to wear ashy dresses�??
Or burn palm leafs??
Re: What Do You Understand By Ash Wednesday? by KOLLYPROF(m): 9:37am On Mar 06, 2019
Wednesday that's ash
Re: What Do You Understand By Ash Wednesday? by Xtobest: 9:38am On Mar 06, 2019
Wednesday that they sell ash very cheap

3 Likes

Re: What Do You Understand By Ash Wednesday? by Chillext(m): 9:38am On Mar 06, 2019
Where are the Catholics....
Re: What Do You Understand By Ash Wednesday? by siesen16: 9:39am On Mar 06, 2019
that day dey put ash on peoples head to clean them
Re: What Do You Understand By Ash Wednesday? by Sleekjunior(m): 9:40am On Mar 06, 2019
GOD FORGIVE U
CreepyBlackpool:
Its a day that people queue up in church to get dirt rubbed on their faces and for some reason happily carry this dirt for the entire day.

6 Likes

Re: What Do You Understand By Ash Wednesday? by Nobody: 9:40am On Mar 06, 2019
people are reminded they are mortals...nice experience

6 Likes

Re: What Do You Understand By Ash Wednesday? by SheikhMuniru(m): 9:40am On Mar 06, 2019
I Studied Little Of The Bible Even As Islamic Scholar... It Is A Day Of Sober Reflection, A Day That Refresh Xtian's Memory That From Dust They Were Made, So Shall They Go Back To Dust

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Do You Understand By Ash Wednesday? by Nobody: 9:40am On Mar 06, 2019
seriously, if we start thinking about our true existence and history maybe we would have a break through of African poverty!

All these mentality makes us reason like the Europeans and the western world as a whole! Muslims will behave like the Arabians and Christians like the Europeans!

Can't we think for ourselves?

see the Asians, they have borrowed the western culture to develop theirs and they are very contented! So other continents (to a larget percentage). At this age, we still celebrate how the Europeans do their things! While we also have 'pure culture' too. No wonder we are been remote to think like them, so that they may keep holding our brains Slave still!

we need right thinkers who knows the fact that
WESTERN WORLD MEANT NO GOOD FOR AFRICA!

Yes Drabeey said so!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Do You Understand By Ash Wednesday? by asawanathegreat(m): 9:40am On Mar 06, 2019
CreepyBlackpool:
Its a day that people queue up in church to get dirt rubbed on their faces and for some reason happily carry this dirt for the entire day. We

they don't stay off meat Biko, is not good Friday.
Re: What Do You Understand By Ash Wednesday? by ejimatic: 9:40am On Mar 06, 2019
Campusparot:
What Do You Understand By Ash Wednesday?

Prayer for today

Gracious God, today begins a period of inner reflection and examination. The days stretch before me and invite me inward to that silent, holy space that holds your Spirit. This special time beckons me to see my life through Christ's eyes and the truth and reality of your love incarnate. Give me the grace to enter the space of these days with anticipation of our meeting. And, when I open my soul to your presence, let your loving kindness flow over me and seep into the pockets of my heart. I ask this for the sake of your love.

ASH WEDNESDAY
. is Ash Wednesday in the Bible?
Re: What Do You Understand By Ash Wednesday? by freemanbubble: 9:41am On Mar 06, 2019
CreepyBlackpool:

Don't mind them
I saw alot of them inside uniben this morning. They are bunch of hypnotized beings by that low budget asss Moda fuckkking son of a broke asss carpenter called Jesus whose mother was a broke assss prostitute through him the world was completely deceived to believe that there is one imaginary supreme being up in the sky called God
Re: What Do You Understand By Ash Wednesday? by Sultty(m): 9:41am On Mar 06, 2019
Ash Wednesday is d start of lent. Don't argue with me argue with google
Re: What Do You Understand By Ash Wednesday? by asdfjklhaha(f): 9:43am On Mar 06, 2019
Its a day when #2000 meat would be sold for less than #200. happy ash Wednesday to all meat lovers Co's we'll eat it and be satisfied

3 Likes

Re: What Do You Understand By Ash Wednesday? by goodnewscliff(m): 9:44am On Mar 06, 2019
rubbishhh angry angry angry
Re: What Do You Understand By Ash Wednesday? by Charleschidera(m): 9:44am On Mar 06, 2019
peteruuu:
I need to ask this....

Is ash Wednesday even originated by GOD, as in...in the Bible?

Or a Roman Catholic dogma?

It is a sign of repentance.... Read your Bible bro

People of Nineveh poured ash and wore sack clothes to show that they have repented from their sins

Also, Ash reminds us that we are made of dust and dust shall we return......

5 Likes

Re: What Do You Understand By Ash Wednesday? by nuggarito: 9:44am On Mar 06, 2019
Ash Wednesday signifies that we all are from dust and dust we will return to, it's a Catholic tradition. It also signifies the beginning of lent in the Catholic church.

For those e-warriors coming to say the Catholic Church doesn't know what they are doing. The church came before your great grandfathers, criticize the church you will eventually die like your grandfathers and the good news is the church will still move on.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Do You Understand By Ash Wednesday? by NLevents: 9:45am On Mar 06, 2019
I thought ash Wednesday is always before Easter. Pardon my ignorance.

Guys, it's here again... Nairaland get together party (Easter version). Check this link for more details

https://www.nairaland.com/5062225/nairaland-get-together-party-6.0

Re: What Do You Understand By Ash Wednesday? by Tonymegabush1(m): 9:45am On Mar 06, 2019
Simple a day of sober reflection prayers n fasting, leading to rents...... a reminder that as humans you are dust and dust you shall return.

Most ppl will typing thrash as against ash Wednesday, Pls if you don't really know the reason behind something try and learn about it b4 saying thrash and not resulting to iberibeism performance
Re: What Do You Understand By Ash Wednesday? by hisexcellency34: 9:45am On Mar 06, 2019
You wear ash coloured clothes
Re: What Do You Understand By Ash Wednesday? by DAramis: 9:46am On Mar 06, 2019
It simply means from dust you are and unto dust you shall return. it is a day of being sober and reflecting upon your life existence so far.

Can you be able to stand up and concur that your good acts out wiegh your bad actions if asked?
Re: What Do You Understand By Ash Wednesday? by Franmusic: 9:46am On Mar 06, 2019
Let's use this lentin season to reflect our mind and heart to God, for we are nothing but pencil in the hands of God

1 Like

Re: What Do You Understand By Ash Wednesday? by chichigal(f): 9:47am On Mar 06, 2019
in catholic doctrine; ash Wednesday is d day we mark ourselves by ashes on our forehead as a sing of conversion and repentance.

it also mark d begining of lent

1 Like

Re: What Do You Understand By Ash Wednesday? by Charleschidera(m): 9:48am On Mar 06, 2019
ejimatic:
. is Ash Wednesday in the Bible?

Is 25th December in the Bible?

All this are just a day fixed for memorial.

Thanks

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

I Heard Rubbing Crude Oil Chases Away Evil Spirits.. Myth Or Fact? / A Much Needed Explanation of Evolution / Faith Building Bible Scriptures For Every Challenge In Life

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.