Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,456 members, 7,816,059 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:34 AM

Election Vs Literacy Level - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Election Vs Literacy Level (842 Views)

Digital Literacy: FG To Facilitate Exchange Program For Professional Teachers / Ranking Of Literacy Rates By States And Regions. / Canada Election Vs Nigeria Election....where We Need To Amend (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Election Vs Literacy Level by oxytech: 4:54pm On Mar 07, 2019
PLS SEE ATTACHED CHARTS

Irrespective of being for APC, PDP....or OLX wink, all underdeveloped LOW LITERACY COUNTRIES, need to DEBATE the DISADVANTAGES of having a very high percentage of people, who CAN NOT READ OR WRITE, deciding whom a HEAD POLICY LEADER should be; like China did by its own "Meritocracy" type of democracy!!

7 out of every 10 people (in any group), that gave PDP 6,067,552 votes in the 14 States below; CAN NOT READ OR WRITE!!
Winning votes of PDP over APC is (15,191,847 - 11,262,978) = 3,928,869 votes.

Data Sources:
www.unesco.org/new/fileadmin/MULTIMEDIA/HQ/ED/pdf/Nigeria.pdf . .....NATIONAL BUREAU OF STATISTICS

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/resources/idt-f0b25208-4a1d-4068-a204-940cbe88d1d3 .........INEC 2019 RESULTS

Re: Election Vs Literacy Level by ozo13(m): 5:58pm On Mar 07, 2019
Lool
Re: Election Vs Literacy Level by Xisnin(m): 6:44pm On Mar 07, 2019
7 out of every 10 people (in any group), that gave PDP 6,067,552 votes in the 14 States below; CAN NOT READ OR WRITE!!

I find it disingenuous that this statement is about PDP who received less than 30% of the total votes in those
states.

I advise that you discuss what you understand because statistics don't happen to be your strong suit.
There is no evidence that most PDP voters in those states are illiterates.
The statewide education percentage is irrelevant since many people in that category can not vote e.g
under 18s.

You conveniently used the absolute number of voters instead of percentages, I guess you realized that
there will be a strong inverse relationship between illiteracy and voting for PDP.

Even if I were to follow your logic, I can conclude that the 70% northern votes that Buhari recorder were
from illiterates while the relatively literate voted for PDP.
But I can't make such claims because of the complexity involved and I don't have all the data.

1 Like

Re: Election Vs Literacy Level by oxytech: 1:39am On Mar 13, 2019
Xisnin:
I find it disingenuous that this statement is about PDP who received less than 30% of the total votes in those
states.

I was not presenting an academic paper, but there are some simple logical assumptions you can draw in the absence of very current data.
Noticed the 6yrs and above, but as below, adult literacy data is actually WORSE shocked shocked; as child education in those areas is just being encouraged.

Below is a the full NBS report and link, and I have now used the literacy data for ADULTS ONLY 15yrs and above, based on the logical assumption that:

1) if at 15yrs old you can not Read or Write WITH UNDERSTANDING, its unlikely that 3yrs after you would now be able to read and write with understanding.
So, adult survey report for 15yrs and above then, would be quite similar to for 18yrs and above, if survey was repeated 3yrs after.

Also. I have added both APC and PDP data.
Then about statistics, pls tell me what is not correct in the use of absolute numbers, as explained below!!!
=======================================================================================

EXPLANATION: Using ADAMAWA STATE as an Example.

PDP votes 378,078

literacy is 58%
Illiteracy = 100-58.4 = 41.6%

41.6% means: Anytime/Anywhere you see 100 Adults gathered in Adamawa, 41.6 of them, are illiterates.

1) So, out of 378,078 Adult voters of PDP; (378,078/100 x 41.6) of them, are illiterates = 157,280 people.

2) Addition of ALL PDP illiterate voters (from each state) = 8,365,658

3) PDP %ILLITERATE PER STATE = 157,280/8,365,658 = 1.9%

4) % OF PDP ILLITERATE VOTERS = Addition of ALL PDP illiterate voters (from each state)/Total PDP Votes
= 8,365,658/15,191,847 = 55%.
Means: 6 OUT OF EVERY 10 VOTERS, THAT VOTED FOR PDP CAN NOT READ OR WRITE!!

5) NORTHERN PDP ILLITERATES
When you add up only the PDP %ILLITERATE PER STATE for Northern states only(in red colour) = 75%.
Means: 8 OUT OF EVERY 10 VOTERS THAT VOTED FOR PDP IN THE NORTHERN STATES CAN NOT READ OR WRITE!!
========================================================================================

All other values for other PDP states, and for all APC values were calculated EXACTLY AS ABOVE!!
=======================================================================================
Data Source:

"https://nigerianstat.gov.ng/elibrary?queries[search]=National%20Literacy%20Survey"

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjP3OSQ3_3gAhUDuHEKHWHsDcYQFjAAegQIChAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nigerianstat.gov.ng%2Fdownload%2F43&usg=AOvVaw2muymJP7OfmdfXvmIzUXlu ….. (National Bureau of Statistics)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/resources/idt-f0b25208-4a1d-4068-a204-940cbe88d1d3 …..(INEC 2019 RESULTS)

================================================================================

Re: Election Vs Literacy Level by oxytech: 1:47am On Mar 13, 2019
ozo13:
Lool

Update:
8 OUT OF EVERY 10 VOTERS THAT VOTED FOR PDP IN THE NORTHERN STATES CAN NOT READ OR WRITE!!
Re: Election Vs Literacy Level by Xisnin(m): 11:35am On Mar 13, 2019
oxytech:

I was not presenting an academic paper.
Not presenting an academic paper doesn't give you the leeway to make baseless assumptions.
I don't know what you are getting at, an analyst who wants to examine the relationship
between illiteracy and voting choice would have concentrated on the party which got 70% votes
and not the minority vote.

Also, if a state has an 80:20 illiteracy ratio, there is no reason to assume that both the literates and
the illiterates want the same thing in a candidate. You would need solid evidence to claim that the literate
and illiterate voters are evenly distributed among the top 2 parties.
This is even more improbable in the case of Nigeria where local powerbrokers determine the electoral
choice of large part of village dwellers. In many rural areas, you can predict the choice of majority of
dwellers by simply knowing which party the "strong" man in the area belog to.

Thus, any analysis that does not take into account the differences in effective electoral choice among
the literate and illiterate voters is fundamentally flawed.
Re: Election Vs Literacy Level by oxytech: 4:25pm On Mar 13, 2019
Xisnin:

Not presenting an academic paper doesn't give you the leeway to make baseless assumptions.

"Baseless assumptions"??....."ERI-MI-O"!!.... "OJI-GBI-JI-GBI" shocked shocked
I think the title or sentiments has thrown you off. But the body of the analysis should have corrected your mis-alignment.

Maybe the better title for you, for all the VALID analysis would be: "ELECTION AND LITERACY", not "ELECTION vs LITERACY".
Immediately, and repeatedly after the Title, I introduced CLEARLY WHAT THE WHOLE ANALYSIS WAS ALL ABOUT; as:

...."all underdeveloped LOW LITERACY COUNTRIES, need to DEBATE the DISADVANTAGES of having a very high percentage of people, who CAN NOT READ OR WRITE, deciding whom a HEAD POLICY LEADER should be; like China did by its own "Meritocracy" type of democracy!!"

The analysis is NOT to "examine the relationship between illiteracy and voting choice" as you said; its about EXACTLY what the introduction above says!!

Curiously, you held on to just ONE word (versus), and went completely blind about all other multiple words and detailed explanation in the whole body of argument, mostlikely because you are a PDP guy, and angry??
Am neither PDP, APC or OLX, so please focus on the above introduction, and elementary statistics.

Statistics is an essential assumption/estimation science to PRO-RATA by Sampling "a Basket". You always model, and work with "A BASKET".
e.g. You do NOT need to catch and count ALL the fish species in a Pond, to know what's in the Pond.
I wonder what you think is the purpose of Statistics? grin grin
Re: Election Vs Literacy Level by OtunbaBlack(m): 7:34am On Apr 25, 2019
Hey bro how can I contact you ?.. got WhatsApp it’s about Cipro thanks

(1) (Reply)

JUST IN!! Okorocha Receives Heartbreaking Message From INEC / INEC Declares APC Winner Of House Of Assembly Seat In Etsako West, Edo / Dino Melaye Finially Reveals Why He Celebrated Ademola Adelekes Governorship Win

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.