Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,239 members, 7,818,813 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:19 AM

Why Dont We Observe The Sabbath Day! - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Dont We Observe The Sabbath Day! (1334 Views)

Must Christians Observe The Law Of Moses? / What Is The True Sabbath Day, Saturday Or Sunday? / Going To Church On Saturday (the True Sabbath Day) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Dont We Observe The Sabbath Day! by pcmecom(m): 11:09pm On Apr 25, 2007
we dont we observe the sabbath day? some people say it is not necessary,that christ died on friday and rose on sunday so there for we as christians we should worship on sundays, some people also give other reasons,
 I have done extensive research on this topic now look at what the bible says in Genesis 2vs 2-3,there bible extensively talked about the importance of the sabbath look also at exodus 20:8-11,levitus 23:1,levitus 25:2,levitus 26:2,deutronomy 5:12-14, and so on, "jesus came not to change the laws but to fulfill it",Remember what the bible says in deutronomy 4:2 where the bible says "we should not add or remove anything from the word",
            Jesus came to give us a better understanding of the sabbath, in the days of old people didnt do anywork on the sabbath day but when christ came he told the people that it doesnt mean because u are observing the sabbath u see somebody dying then u refuse to save him because u are observing the sabbath,at the same time jesus didnt "change" the sabbath
   MY QUESTION IS WHY WAS THE SABBATH CHANGED FROM SATURDAY TO SUNDAY?
Re: Why Dont We Observe The Sabbath Day! by pcmecom(m): 11:18pm On Apr 25, 2007
The sabbath was changed from saturday to sunday during the reign of a roman emperor named "CONSTANTINE".he was the first roman emperor to embrace christianity,before, during, and after the death of jesus the sabbath was being observed by the jews and the christians alike but during the reign of constantine,there was an agreement(council of nicea) between the pagans and the christians to change their day of worship "saturday" to sunday because the pagans worshiped on sundays, moreover the pagans have a goddess their worshiped on december 25 every year,the christians adopted that date as the birth date of christ!
HOW COME OUT OF ALL THE COMMANDEMENT OF GOD ON THE SABBATH DAY IS NOT IMPORTANT.
VERY IRONIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Why Dont We Observe The Sabbath Day! by cuteass1(f): 4:54am On Apr 26, 2007
Well its not ironic because my opinion of why it was changed is different

This is what i wrote on the previous similar thread and i quote myself:

cute-ass:

@ topic!!

Jesus died on a friday(Good Friday) and resurrected from death on the third day, which was a sunday wink

The ressurection was the mark of assurance of salvation and faith of all christians

secondly, the holy spirit descended upon the apostles on a sunday, which is the beginning of christian's faith in action and the assurance that God is with us.

Those two reasons are why christian churches turned the holy day(sabbath day) from saturday(originally sabbath day to sunday for the fact that we live in the new testament cheesy
Re: Why Dont We Observe The Sabbath Day! by pcmecom(m): 6:01pm On Apr 26, 2007
fine! jesus died on friday and resurrected on sunday,while the holy spirit decended upon the disciples on sunday,but is that enough reason to change the sabbath from saturday to sunday?
Do you have any biblical references to show that the sabbath was changed from saturday to sunday?
The problem we are facing nowadays in christendom is that christians to what to face the truth,the bible says and i quote"know the truth and the truth shall set you free".
Re: Why Dont We Observe The Sabbath Day! by pcmecom(m): 8:26pm On Apr 26, 2007
jesus fortold that his teachings would be subverted.He said "The kingdom of the heavens has become like a man that sowed  fine seed in his field.While men were sleeping his enemy came and oversowed weeds in among the wheat and left"matt 13:24-30
As jesus explained in his illustrations the man who sowed wheat in the field represents jesus and the seeds represents true christians.The enemy who sowed  weeds among the wheat represents "the devil".The weeds represents lawless apostate men who fasely claim to be servants of God(matt13:36-42)
The apostle paul gave details of what would happen.He said "I know that after my going away oppresive wolves will enter in among you asnd will not treat the flock with tenderness, "Acts 20:29-30
Re: Why Dont We Observe The Sabbath Day! by pilgrim1(f): 8:17pm On Aug 05, 2007
Mere ritualistic observances do not help the believer reach God's desired goal for him or her.

Gal. 4:9-11
"But now, after that ye have known God, or rather are known of God, how turn ye again to the weak and beggarly elements, whereunto ye desire again to be in bondage? Ye observe days, and months, and times, and years. I am afraid of you, lest I have bestowed upon you labour in vain."

The true Sabbath is not a day - not any day. Rather, it is a Person - the Lord Jesus Christ: He is the true REST --

Matt. 11:28-29
"Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls."

God did not intend the true rest to be a matter of mere ritualistic observance - even by the LAW. He wanted people to find the true rest as a matter of the SOUL. That rest is found in Jesus Christ.
Re: Why Dont We Observe The Sabbath Day! by You1: 10:18pm On Jun 07, 2010
@pilgrim.1

I believe that rest and salvation is in Christ. Doesn't the bible give the Commandment: "Observe the Sabbath day by keeping it holy, as the LORD your God has commanded you." Deuteronomy 5:12 , ?

you said: "The true Sabbath is not a day - not any day."

Now I don't know about you, but it seems to me that it is a day. And the LORD calls us to worship him on that day:   
"There are six days when you may work, but the seventh day is a Sabbath of rest, a day of sacred assembly. You are not to do any work; wherever you live, it is a Sabbath to the LORD." Leviticus 23:3

Many people try to say "well, how do you know that the seventh day of the week is Saturday? Couldn't/didn't the calender get messed up or something? how do you know its the right day?" I don't know about you but my calender starts with Sunday (therefor it is considered the first day of the week)  that makes Saturday the last and seventh day of the week (Sabbath). IF IT WERE CHANGED THEN WE CAN TRUST IN GOD. He doesn't judge you on what you don't know
Re: Why Dont We Observe The Sabbath Day! by ogajim(m): 1:54am On Jun 08, 2010
I am going to have to AGREE with Pilgrim.1 here shocked

"The LAW was made for man not man for the law"
"Where two or three are gathered in my name, I am there", you can worship God any day and anywhere, Jesus Christ came to remove the "bondage" associated with the law and set us free. How can you then want to return to that same "bondage" you were freed from by him shedding his HOLY blood?

Saturday="Saturn" day right? I like to view/see everyday as Christmas and not one day of the year, the only celebration Jesus ever took part in was the PASSOVER and the last one he had before being crucified for our sakes,
Re: Why Dont We Observe The Sabbath Day! by mamagee3(f): 1:57am On Jun 08, 2010
I know for a fact that I observe the Sabbath Day!

By the way, One shouldn't judge another's way of worship.

Going to Church should be for our personal righteousness.
Re: Why Dont We Observe The Sabbath Day! by You1: 12:21pm On Jun 08, 2010
"The LAW was made for man not man for the law" I think that when Jesus said this he was saying it wasn't going to be easy. Not to stop calibrating the sabbath.

"Where two or three are gathered in my name, I am there" This is true, but The Sabbath is a holy, sanctified day, witch God set apart from the week so that we might rest and worship him.

I guess it is your choice.

Careful though James said: "For he who said, "Do not commit adultery," also said, "Do not murder." If you do not commit adultery but do commit murder, you have become a lawbreaker." James 2:11 If you brake one law (keeping the sabbath day) then you brake all of them, therefor you are living in sin.

@ mama-gee
2 Timothy 3:16: "All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness,"

1 Like

Re: Why Dont We Observe The Sabbath Day! by Joagbaje(m): 2:24pm On Jun 08, 2010
Jesus christ is now the sabbath for us. Christians never declares Sunday a sabbath. We only worship God officially on Sundays because of Christ's ressurection , which was started by the early church. Everyday is holy for us now. Sabbath is the rest in christ. There is no special day again.
Re: Why Dont We Observe The Sabbath Day! by Oba234: 3:36pm On Jun 08, 2010
The seventh day is a Saturday therefore the sabbath day is a Saturday. There are some Christian denominations that only attend church on Sundays. For example- the seventh day Adventist are christians and observe their sabbath day seriously. They attend church on Saturday and they literally don't engage in any activities from sun down friday to sundown saturday.
Re: Why Dont We Observe The Sabbath Day! by Joagbaje(m): 3:53pm On Jun 08, 2010
The purpose of sabbath is not worship of God but for man to rest his body, so whatever Fay a man worship is not an issue. Sabbath ( rest ) was made for man And not the other way round. Christ is the lord of rest ( sabbath) in him we have found rest.

Matthew 11:28
28 Come unto me, all[ ye] that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
Re: Why Dont We Observe The Sabbath Day! by You1: 5:36pm On Jun 08, 2010
lol, the purpose of the Sabbath is for rest, and also to worship him. "There are six days when you may work, but the seventh day is a Sabbath of rest, a day of sacred assembly. You are not to do any work; wherever you live, it is a Sabbath to the LORD." Leviticus 23:3

So, your saying that you can sanctify and make "any day you wish" the sabbath?

Look at it: "I will GIVE you rest" through the Sabbath day, 

Even Jesus celebrated the Sabbath: Luke 4:16 "He [Jesus] went to Nazareth, where he had been brought up, and on the Sabbath day he went into the synagogue, as was his custom. And he stood up to read."

Didn't Jesus say that he wasn't coming to "abolish the Law"?  Therefor he did not change it and it will never be changed. Matthew 5:17-19 "[17]"Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. [18]I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished. [19]Anyone who breaks one of the least of these commandments and teaches others to do the same will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever practices and teaches these commands will be called great in the kingdom of heaven."

And even after Jesus's death and after he went to Heaven people still celebrated the Sabbath: Hebrews 4:9-10 "There remains, then, a Sabbath-rest for the people of God; [10] for anyone who enters God's rest also rests from his own work, just as God did from his."

understand now?

1 Like

Re: Why Dont We Observe The Sabbath Day! by plappville(f): 8:29pm On Sep 09, 2012
Joagbaje: The purpose of sabbath is not worship of God but for man to rest his body, so whatever Fay a man worship is not an issue. Sabbath ( rest ) was made for man And not the other way round. Christ is the lord of rest ( sabbath) in him we have found rest.

Matthew 11:28
28 Come unto me, all[ ye] that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.

Do you mean that Jesus said this to nullifythe 4th
commandment? Did he say that he did not come to
cancel/abolish the law? If there should be any change, He would have made it clear. Just like he told us the
Sabbath was made for man, he simplifies this "Holy" day chosed by God. While christians today refused to agree to observe the sabbath today is because, we like to select what to obey and what not to. We dont allow God to decide for us, yet we are Christ like.
Re: Why Dont We Observe The Sabbath Day! by nedostic: 11:28pm On Sep 09, 2012
Without mincing words the original Sabbath day was Saturday.

History has it that the Roman Catholic church did change the day from Saturday to Sunday.

I would equally like to say that the true meaning of Sabbath is 'REST'.

This 'REST' can only take place during the rulership of Christ in the new heaven and earth.

If there was anything that gave me much concern about a month ago, it was the Sabbath day but in a way I ran into a write-up on the NET which covers the subject matter by Marion Branham and someone else(poor me!has forgotten the name), after reading through I had a 'rest' to my troubled spirit.I had earlier posted a link on this forum maybe a month ago or so on the same subject matter.

The Sabbath from what I understood is beyond Saturday or even the sun-worship day -Sunday.

I rest my case for now while opened to other scriptures and perhaps further study.

May the good Lord grant us mercy!
Re: Why Dont We Observe The Sabbath Day! by Joagbaje(m): 9:41am On Sep 10, 2012
pcmecom: The sabbath was changed from saturday to sunday during the reign of a roman emperor named "CONSTANTINE"..
VERY IRONIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sabbath was never changed to Sunday. Sabbath remains Saturday. The essence of sabbath was for rest. The Christians worship together on Sunday because it's the lords day.
The sabbath day is a shadow of the rest in Christ. Christ is our rest now.

(1) (Reply)

What Does It Feel Like To Die? / How Can I / How Do Egyptians Feel When Reffered To Metaphorically By Judeo-christians?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.