Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,195 members, 7,818,646 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:42 PM

Tribal Mark On Your Child. Don't Laugh - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Tribal Mark On Your Child. Don't Laugh (12138 Views)

The Amazing Benefits Of Coconut Oil In Removing That Stretch Mark On Your Skin! / Photo: What Would You Do If You Came Home And Saw Your Child Like This!! / Photo: Would You Allow Culture And Tradition Give Your Child Tribal Mark ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tribal Mark On Your Child. Don't Laugh by niniowo(f): 7:34pm On Jan 13, 2006
Please whatever you do, don't laugh about this. My friend (a lawyer) got married to this doctor from Oyo town in Oyo State. A year after they had their first son, they decided to visit their old folks in Oyo. On the second day after their arrival, the mother-in-law offered to take the toddler out. My friend naturally agreed.

In the evening when they came back, the young boy was screaming his head off. Guess what? the poor little boy had been given eight (cool pieces tribal mark! My friend nearly died. She refused to accept the branded baby and fled to Lagos. She is contemplating legal action against the mother in law and a divorce against her husband for not condemning the brutal attack. Can surgery help? Please advise her.
Re: Tribal Mark On Your Child. Don't Laugh by Rottweiler(m): 8:38pm On Jan 13, 2006
I am a Yoruba guy but I am TOTALLY against tribal marks. It's completely inhuman for anybody to do it on any child. Tell me, what purpose does it serve? It's absolutely WICKEDNESS! My mother would not try that with my kids despite the fact that I respect her so much. She knows where to draw the line. As an Ondo guy, I have four on the top-right part of my chest and I know the psycological effect it had on me while growing up. I could not take off my shirt to play football with my friends because of it. I had good football skills but each time my team had to take off it jearsey, I leave the pitch. I had this friend from Benue state who had these horrible ones on his face. You won't believe me, when he got older (16 or 18 years) he was always fighting with his dad. It's true. He hated himself each time he looked in the mirror. In your friends case, suing the in-laws won't remove the marks. All she can do is to express her sadness and keep away from them.
Re: Tribal Mark On Your Child. Don't Laugh by hotangel2(f): 10:26pm On Jan 13, 2006
OMG!! They gave the boy minus minus, plus plus. lipsrsealed This is sad.

Why would that woman do that? I'll faint if someone does that to my kids. Surgery is not advisable for kids.. but if i were the woman, i'll deff do surgery for my child. All i can say is shocked
Re: Tribal Mark On Your Child. Don't Laugh by IAH(f): 11:34pm On Jan 13, 2006
Well, sorry I had to laugh a bit. grin grin grin lipsrsealed

This makes me to think of a story: Let's say somebody falls in love with a girl online, on meeting the love of his life he sees that the girl is blessed with 16 tribal marks. 8 on the left and 8 on the right. Tell me, won't he jump through the window and run away?
Re: Tribal Mark On Your Child. Don't Laugh by hotangel2(f): 11:36pm On Jan 13, 2006
IAh... i tried not to laugh at this topic.. But u made me laugh more than i want to.

I would run away too. That's why online dating is not recomended.

Anyways back to the poor boy/girl that they gave a forever mark. Those marks don't fade.

I still understand the little Minus (-) ones, but EIGHT!
Re: Tribal Mark On Your Child. Don't Laugh by niniowo(f): 8:09am On Jan 16, 2006
Hot-angel and IAH, you wan make i vex? this is nothing a laughing matter. it borders on my friend's marriage and the boy's future. I am not being emotional, but if anyone laughs again, i may decide to take the person to Oyo for the same treatment.
Re: Tribal Mark On Your Child. Don't Laugh by chillin(f): 8:24am On Jan 16, 2006
niniowo:

but if anyone laughs again, i may decide to take the person to Oyo for the same treatment.

ohhhh niniowo c'mon here! datz soo funny but that don't mean i'm laffin! :| aight bk to the issue at hand!! why would sumone do that to an innocent child? hold up! did u say surgery? no no no do not try that...the lil boy is to young for such a thing...u'v gatt consider the pain, time n' endurance he has to go tru!! nawww that would be brutal hez just a baby 4goodness sake...4reall that was sooo mean! marks on a baby?? wicked wicked wicked people  angry
Re: Tribal Mark On Your Child. Don't Laugh by snazzydawn(f): 12:26pm On Jan 16, 2006
All hope is not lost...if they have the means,they can take him for plastic surgery or reconstructive surgery... sad
Re: Tribal Mark On Your Child. Don't Laugh by Scorpio(f): 7:46pm On Jan 18, 2006
First of all Niniowo, u gon have to take me to Oyo because i've laughed my a#$ out.. grin ok, back to da topic..since d child is a toddler, i won't advise d parents to send him in for surgery, it's too delicate(that's what i think)..and as per d mother-in-law, she should b hanged.Thankfully, tribal marks aren't that heavy in my place n no one in my entire family has a scratch on d face. i don't like them n especially in this modern dayz where erryone's trying to b hot n sexy, it's seriously humiliating. If she was my mother-in-law, there ain't no tellin what i would do(i could b really creative when it comes to things like this) especially when she didn't ask for my permission first n i don't think a divorce is d best thing now. If d husband knew about it n he didn't discuss it with d wife, he needs his behind kicked seriously!
Re: Tribal Mark On Your Child. Don't Laugh by chillin(f): 8:00pm On Jan 18, 2006
Scorpio u'v said it right!! d poor kid ehh
Re: Tribal Mark On Your Child. Don't Laugh by roca(f): 4:48am On Jan 19, 2006
geez dis is some funny shit
man if my parent gave me a tribal mark when i was a kid i don't know what i will do cuz i know i will ve low self -esteem .people r always makin fun of people with marks. i can remebr runnin into some with bare marks on her face on me way 2 college i was like deun d gurls parent must be wicked cuz dey partically messed with d gurls face as in dey did tribal mark justice
Re: Tribal Mark On Your Child. Don't Laugh by Cactus(m): 6:57am On Jan 19, 2006
If people do understand the history behind tribal marks, which is a form of body modification categorised under scarification serving as a form of right of passage from teenager to adulthood. there is really nothing much to it because its similar to body piercings, horn implants, tongue splitting, or branding. http://www.byblair.com/cutting.html. ideally its meant to protect members of similars tribes or ethnicity in times of wars to easily distinguish members of a tribe from others. http://tattoo.about.com/cs/cutbrand/ .

some scarification designs i have seen are really really cool. i feel as nigerians both local and international consider tribal marks (scarification) as archaic. its something of pride that we should be happy about if they are done correctly. however, there are some nigeria tribal marks that are really really really amazing and mind blowing one will be like what the heck. but that is not bad country Benin's form of tribal marks is worse because it has to go across your abdomen and across the inner lining of the hairline on your forehead.

as for me if i have a child/when i have a child i will not considered a him/her getting a tribal mark. but when he/she is grown up its up to them the reason being that tribal marks do not necessarily have to be on the cheeks, or 'minus, minus , plus, plus', according to hot_angel), they can be anywhere on the body though its no longer tribal the individual will ideally be the only person to have the mark just like tattooing.

if done properly they look cool its just a form of a mobile visual art.
Re: Tribal Mark On Your Child. Don't Laugh by roca(f): 11:31am On Jan 19, 2006
yea rite cactus ve neva seen a nice tribal mark cuz d ones u r referin 2 has nice r d one dat r so tiny people will not know u ve dem. am talkin all dis one dat from afar people will runnin or laughin at ya 4
Re: Tribal Mark On Your Child. Don't Laugh by dejiolowe: 10:11pm On Jan 20, 2006
very interesting story... surgery can help, the earlier the better but it wont be cheap. the grandmum should be tricked to lagos and area boys give her some additional tribal marks too. tit for tat
Re: Tribal Mark On Your Child. Don't Laugh by snazzydawn(f): 10:25pm On Jan 20, 2006
lol lol lol..........nor be small thing
Re: Tribal Mark On Your Child. Don't Laugh by chillin(f): 10:47pm On Jan 20, 2006
eeyyaaa!! dat ain't fair!! sad
Re: Tribal Mark On Your Child. Don't Laugh by chinani(f): 11:09pm On Mar 07, 2006
i feel for your friend & her son. if she was against it then it was WRONG. no two ways around it. here's my advice: she should question her husband & see where his allegiance lies. if he is w/ her and agrees not to mark again than i think the marriage can be salvaged. marriage is no laughing matter. but neither are children. then she should look into plastic surgery. is there plastic surgery where she lives? despite what ppl would have you believe CHILDREN have SURGERY everyday. plastic/reconstructive surgery included. she should see a doctor who has worked on children before & follow his recommendation. if madam/mr doctor says she should wait for 5-8 years then she should wait. but if the dr can operate then he should. mind you, FIND a DR W/ EXPERIENCE w/ CHILDREN. many dr do reconstructive/plastic surgery for cleft pallets, deformities, birth marks, and genetic mutations. i wish your friend good luck!
Re: Tribal Mark On Your Child. Don't Laugh by babymine(f): 9:26am On Mar 08, 2006
This isn't a laughin matter at all. Maybe the Govt should do something bout it. Those marks can be disfiguring. angry
Re: Tribal Mark On Your Child. Don't Laugh by mamaput(f): 10:30am On Mar 08, 2006
has she rejected her baby?
So after what happened she still left the baby there?
dose she not want it any more now that its not perfect?
Re: Tribal Mark On Your Child. Don't Laugh by chy(f): 11:39am On Mar 08, 2006
Terrible but thats african tatoo people
are paying to get the real cool tatoo in town and theirs is free
dont mind my wide mouth the lady should accept the child joo
her husband is he not with the marks because if the mother-inlaw
can do such 2 her grandson then what of her kids
sad
[color=#000099
Re: Tribal Mark On Your Child. Don't Laugh by chy(f): 11:40am On Mar 08, 2006
[sub]Terrible but thats african tatoo people
are paying to get the real cool tatoo in town and theirs is free
dont mind my wide mouth the lady should accept the child joo
her husband is he not with the marks because if the mother-inlaw
can do such 2 her grandson then what of her kids
Re: Tribal Mark On Your Child. Don't Laugh by reniks(f): 11:56am On Mar 08, 2006
Dts terrible,but d fact is nothin xcept surgery can be done.But we never kno,its remotely possible dt tribal marks become a fad L8r.Jus like tatoos were cool once it cud b 2.
Re: Tribal Mark On Your Child. Don't Laugh by babymine(f): 2:57pm On Mar 09, 2006
@reniks. Those tribal marks dnt fade, eva, they last 4eva.
Re: Tribal Mark On Your Child. Don't Laugh by Ib(f): 4:41pm On Mar 09, 2006
This is one of the most inhuman things to do to a child in this day and age. I just showed this to a work colleague and she then narrated a story to me of a woman who took her little daughter to nigeria to visit, only for the mother-in-law to cut off the top of the baby's p****y.

I really dont knw what ur lawyer can do about this but if this was my son, somebody must wound oh!!!!
Re: Tribal Mark On Your Child. Don't Laugh by nawah(f): 9:14pm On Mar 13, 2006
even more inhuman is leaving the baby there and fleeing
Re: Tribal Mark On Your Child. Don't Laugh by reniks(f): 9:41pm On Mar 13, 2006
Thats true!No amount of tribal marks should take away her unconditional love for the child.Its terrible,but its been done.She has to accept it.
Re: Tribal Mark On Your Child. Don't Laugh by chinani(f): 11:50pm On Mar 13, 2006
@ niniowo

so, what did your friend decide to do (if i may ask)?
Re: Tribal Mark On Your Child. Don't Laugh by Dupsybaby(f): 10:21pm On Mar 22, 2006
Nawah,God bless you---------i'm even more upset with the mother,why did she flee leaving the child in the hands of the wicked ma,at that point in time the child needed the mothers love more than anything to atleast kill the pain, pls i dont need anyone to tell me it was a decision made on impulse abeg.

@niniowo so how long did she stay away from the child or did she abandon him?also where was the father or was it his idea?
Well,its a sad story and i feel really bad for that child cos he deserved more love than he got,just a toddler,haba!! @ niniowo tell madam mom that child needs more love and can go on with the reconstructive surgery but should get a very good doctor .
Divorce shouldnt be the next step,dont take it out on the father if he knew nothing of it afterall he wasnt the one who put the mark on this child.
Re: Tribal Mark On Your Child. Don't Laugh by gbenga9ja(m): 1:27am On Mar 25, 2006
Please whatever you do, don't laugh about this. My friend (a lawyer) got married to this doctor from Oyo town in Oyo State. A year after they had their first son, they decided to visit their old folks in Oyo. On the second day after their arrival, the mother-in-law offered to take the toddler out. My friend naturally agreed.

In the evening when they came back, the young boy was screaming his head off. Guess what? the poor little boy had been given eight ( pieces tribal mark! My friend nearly died. She refused to accept the branded baby and fled to Lagos. She is contemplating legal action against the mother in law and a divorce against her husband for not condemning the brutal attack. Can surgery help? Please advise her.

I don't blame her for her reaction, the first reaction is always the correct one, wat else could she have done?? shouted on her mother in law or wat? she gave her a little respect that is why she fled to Lagos and left the baby behind

Hell no man, it is not right at all, she should have informed them at least that she was going to do such a thing, can u imagine, not one, not two but eight men, damn, dats is just too much, in this new generation

I have a tribal mark but its just one on the right cheek and one on the left cheek but still yet, i really do not like it because sometimes my gurlfriend always makes jokes with it which i do not like and sometimes, she confesses that she does not like it besides, it also shows clearly in any picture i take eg like the one i have on my nairaland proile now, it is showing but mine is still better anyway.

Don't you think the mother in law has a beef with d wife? cos this is extremely bad, she has practically damaged that baby boy or gurl, she has made him ugly in this new generation, if that happened in the States, shw would have been sued or put in jail man, she really did a whole lot of damage and if i were the man, i would have really shown her that i was angry men, forget that she is my mother, she has no right to do that to my child without my consent man.

I think they shld take the baby for a surgery if it is gonna be safe o and if they would not worsen the situation, i mean like if there won't be a scar or something cos they only want money, in the case of our Late First Lady.
Re: Tribal Mark On Your Child. Don't Laugh by Dupsybaby(f): 10:15am On Mar 27, 2006
Really
Re: Tribal Mark On Your Child. Don't Laugh by mide2(f): 2:03pm On Apr 13, 2006
This is hilarious, at the same time it's not funny, it's not even in the same zip code as funny.

I always tell my friends and others not to marry village guys (ara oko).They themselves might be educated or enlightened but them family.  Honestly to face it, there are more risks to it than Love can sometimes bear.e.g is this scenerio.      (In this world of terrible blood transmitted/communicable diseases.)

Wot is done is done, she should just take her baby andd try the surgery thing(If the baby is fit to undergo it) and then never ever go to the village again and even if the grandma comes visiting, she shouldn't leave her kids alone with her.
Re: Tribal Mark On Your Child. Don't Laugh by jagunlabi(m): 2:58pm On Apr 13, 2006
She could do skin grafting for her kid,now!Abandonning her child is not the solution.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Ways To Teach Kids To Believe In Themselves / Are Extra Lessons Really Necessary For School Children? / What Age Is The Right Age To Have A Child?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.