Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,910 members, 7,817,683 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:12 PM

5 Signs Of A Defective Spark Plug In Your Car - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / 5 Signs Of A Defective Spark Plug In Your Car (13551 Views)

4 Typical Signs Of A Defective AC Compressor In Your Car / Signs Of A Defective Oxygen Sensor In Your Car / 5 Symptoms Of A Defective Radiator Cap And The Best Test Method (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

5 Signs Of A Defective Spark Plug In Your Car by Godspower35(m): 1:12pm On Mar 23, 2019
A spark plug is a very important component in a vehicle that supports fuel to ignite the combustion chamber. A bad spark plug is a big problem that can cause multiple damage and affect the performance of your car. As a long-standing integral part of the internal ignition system component, it receives a high voltage electrical current that forms the ignition coil to ignite the air or fuel mixture in the combustion chamber. This constant burning ensures that the car moves quietly on the road.

Engine failure

If the car stops while driving, engine damage has occurred. That is, there is a problem with a spark plug that may not work
properly. It may be damaged at the spark plug wire or its tip, which is connected to the conductor. During the break, the car releases many gases and emissions. It also reduces fuel consumption and reduces engine power.

Rough idling

Idling works while the vehicle is running. If the engine is working properly, the spark plugs should be continuous and smooth. If it does not work well, it will produce a rough and jumping run. Usually it feels like vibration and jittery sound. Therefore, it is not good to have your spark plug damaged because it is dangerous and more expensive.

Slow acceleration

Bad acceleration is a sign of your vehicle requiring a new spark plug. In this situation, pressing the accelerator does not set the vehicle speed. It seems to be overcharged. As the efficiency of the spark plug decreases, the acceleration of the vehicle is significantly reduced.

Problem while booting

This is the most common symptom and the simplest symptom if you need to replace the spark plug with a new one. It's hard to start the engine, even if you try several times. This is because the spark plug does not generate a spark. A bad spark plug can cause a quick discharge, which means it needs to be replaced.

Too much fuel

The main function of a spark plug is to burn fuel in a burner efficiently. If the spark plug is not working properly, the spark plug gap is automatically too small or too large. This makes combustion more inefficient, resulting in high fuel consumption.

POINTS TO NOTE

Do not wait until the spark plug is damaged or worse if the vehicle is completely damaged by a faulty spark plug. Avoid problems by knowing the symptoms of 5 bad spark plugs. Thorough inspection can as well prevent unnecessary cost.
[img]https://2.bp..com/-862Uf4ZRgzU/XJYfMf-sOrI/AAAAAAAACK0/sRgVZMpOhwg7InOVPMyyJVdfq1kcmuKxwCLcBGAs/s320/Spark%2BPlug%2BWires.jpg[/img]
http://www.eliancars.com/2019/03/5-signs-of-defective-spark-plug-in-your.html#more

3 Likes

Re: 5 Signs Of A Defective Spark Plug In Your Car by Vigorousguy(m): 6:41pm On Mar 23, 2019
Re: 5 Signs Of A Defective Spark Plug In Your Car by Triniti(m): 6:57pm On Mar 23, 2019
Una no wan comment for this spark plug thread so?
Re: 5 Signs Of A Defective Spark Plug In Your Car by femi4: 7:05pm On Mar 23, 2019
Triniti:
Una no wan comment for this spark plug thread so?
That's the least problem to worry about in your car

6 Likes

Re: 5 Signs Of A Defective Spark Plug In Your Car by Nobody: 7:06pm On Mar 23, 2019
grin
Re: 5 Signs Of A Defective Spark Plug In Your Car by Triniti(m): 7:28pm On Mar 23, 2019
femi4:
That's the least problem to worry about in your car
Lol.....you are right though, modern cars rarely have issues with plugs. I remember olden days cars, Peugeot and the likes.....plugs used to be its major problems
Re: 5 Signs Of A Defective Spark Plug In Your Car by PraiseDLord: 7:37pm On Mar 23, 2019
Godspower35:
A spark plug is a very important component in a vehicle that supports fuel to ignite the combustion chamber. A bad spark plug is a big problem that can cause multiple damage and affect the performance of your car. As a long-standing integral part of the internal ignition system component, it receives a high voltage electrical current that forms the ignition coil to ignite the air or fuel mixture in the combustion chamber. This constant burning ensures that the car moves quietly on the road.

Engine failure

If the car stops while driving, engine damage has occurred. That is, there is a problem with a spark plug that may not work
properly. It may be damaged at the spark plug wire or its tip, which is connected to the conductor. During the break, the car releases many gases and emissions. It also reduces fuel consumption and reduces engine power.

Rough idling

Idling works while the vehicle is running. If the engine is working properly, the spark plugs should be continuous and smooth. If it does not work well, it will produce a rough and jumping run. Usually it feels like vibration and jittery sound. Therefore, it is not good to have your spark plug damaged because it is dangerous and more expensive.

Slow acceleration

Bad acceleration is a sign of your vehicle requiring a new spark plug. In this situation, pressing the accelerator does not set the vehicle speed. It seems to be overcharged. As the efficiency of the spark plug decreases, the acceleration of the vehicle is significantly reduced.

Problem while booting

This is the most common symptom and the simplest symptom if you need to replace the spark plug with a new one. It's hard to start the engine, even if you try several times. This is because the spark plug does not generate a spark. A bad spark plug can cause a quick discharge, which means it needs to be replaced.

Too much fuel

The main function of a spark plug is to burn fuel in a burner efficiently. If the spark plug is not working properly, the spark plug gap is automatically too small or too large. This makes combustion more inefficient, resulting in high fuel consumption.

POINTS TO NOTE

Do not wait until the spark plug is damaged or worse if the vehicle is completely damaged by a faulty spark plug. Avoid problems by knowing the symptoms of 5 bad spark plugs. Thorough inspection can as well prevent unnecessary cost.
[img]https://2.bp..com/-862Uf4ZRgzU/XJYfMf-sOrI/AAAAAAAACK0/sRgVZMpOhwg7InOVPMyyJVdfq1kcmuKxwCLcBGAs/s320/Spark%2BPlug%2BWires.jpg[/img]
http://www.eliancars.com/2019/03/5-signs-of-defective-spark-plug-in-your.html#more

Thanks how much is spark plug pls?
Re: 5 Signs Of A Defective Spark Plug In Your Car by kingreign(m): 7:42pm On Mar 23, 2019
Obviously, the author of this article lacks Automotive troubleshooting and repair experience. Please, it's not by force to write automotive articles please, and if you must, please, do proper research.
Godspower35:

Engine failure

Rough idling

Slow acceleration

Problem while booting

Too much fuel

POINTS TO NOTE

2 Likes

Re: 5 Signs Of A Defective Spark Plug In Your Car by kingreign(m): 7:42pm On Mar 23, 2019
Re: 5 Signs Of A Defective Spark Plug In Your Car by Jabioro: 7:49pm On Mar 23, 2019
Do not create problem where there is non...even okada and my Elepaq generator had no issues with spark plug not to talk of my....next ride!
Re: 5 Signs Of A Defective Spark Plug In Your Car by madgoat(m): 7:50pm On Mar 23, 2019
PraiseDLord:

Thanks how much is spark plug pls?

Are you a learner? Go and buy plug N200 grin
Even N150, you will get plug.
Re: 5 Signs Of A Defective Spark Plug In Your Car by 3kay945(m): 7:50pm On Mar 23, 2019
To access three of my plugs now na problem cos of the location, unlike my former ride. cry
Re: 5 Signs Of A Defective Spark Plug In Your Car by Dottore: 7:55pm On Mar 23, 2019
Some of the problems you enumerated may not be as a result of bad spark plug. In some cases the ignition coil or high tension cable might be the culprit but innocent spark plug will bear the blame

1 Like

Re: 5 Signs Of A Defective Spark Plug In Your Car by Godspower35(m): 7:56pm On Mar 23, 2019
PraiseDLord:

Please check my website for my contact​
Re: 5 Signs Of A Defective Spark Plug In Your Car by ValarinzAutos: 8:29pm On Mar 23, 2019
Lol, OP has assumed people like Autojosh are making a killing via auto blogging, and he wants to cash in on the action before the field gets saturated.

Banana island mansion must come by fire by force grin
Re: 5 Signs Of A Defective Spark Plug In Your Car by Nobody: 8:30pm On Mar 23, 2019
Dottore:
Some of the problems you enumerated may not be as a result of bad spark plug. In some cases the ignition coil or high tension cable might be the culprit but innocent spark plug will bear the blame
High tension cable? Since when did DISCOS started to install high tension cable in car engines? 33kva line?

2 Likes

Re: 5 Signs Of A Defective Spark Plug In Your Car by Dottore: 8:57pm On Mar 23, 2019
indigene:

High tension cable? Since when did DISCOS started to install high tension cable in car engine? 33kva line?
You will will understand when you own a car
Re: 5 Signs Of A Defective Spark Plug In Your Car by FirstTImeUser: 8:59pm On Mar 23, 2019
Godspower35:
[b]

Hi thanks for this
How often do I need to change my plug? Corolla 2005 model.not changed in at least 2 and a half years.
Re: 5 Signs Of A Defective Spark Plug In Your Car by RuggedArab: 9:01pm On Mar 23, 2019
My car is having some of the above mentioned issues. I had changed the plug coil heads (2 plug heads) and after like a month and more I’m experiencing some of the issues. I’m getting a more experienced electrician to check it out this week.

Thanks for the info
Re: 5 Signs Of A Defective Spark Plug In Your Car by olatade(m): 9:23pm On Mar 23, 2019
indigene:

High tension cable? Since when did DISCOS started to install high tension cable in car engine? 33kva line?

grin grin
Re: 5 Signs Of A Defective Spark Plug In Your Car by erico2k2(m): 9:41pm On Mar 23, 2019
RuggedArab:
My car is having some of the above mentioned issues. I had changed the plug coil heads (2 plug heads) and after like a month and more I’m experiencing some of the issues. I’m getting a more experienced electrician to check it out this week.

Thanks for the info
go to youtube and learn how to diagnose spark plug failure.That will eliminate it from ur list and get a scanner
Re: 5 Signs Of A Defective Spark Plug In Your Car by usoroakpan(m): 6:31am On Mar 24, 2019
Re: 5 Signs Of A Defective Spark Plug In Your Car by adetem(m): 7:19am On Mar 24, 2019
God bless you, please is it normal for the plug cap to come up small by itself?
Dottore:
Re: 5 Signs Of A Defective Spark Plug In Your Car by adetem(m): 7:23am On Mar 24, 2019
Please some tip and sign about car electrical problems and what the sign if ur car brain box has problems. Can we service brain box?
Re: 5 Signs Of A Defective Spark Plug In Your Car by kampbelo(m): 7:53am On Mar 24, 2019
If you need original spark plug that can serve you for 2years and above with guarantee call me on 08020805266.
Re: 5 Signs Of A Defective Spark Plug In Your Car by wizkidblogger(f): 7:54am On Mar 24, 2019
RuggedArab:

Thanks for the info

Might be one of the ignition coils. I experienced similar ish but my scanner pointed out that it's the coil. I replaced the bad one and the car is OK now
Re: 5 Signs Of A Defective Spark Plug In Your Car by RuggedArab: 8:53am On Mar 24, 2019
wizkidblogger:

Might be one of the ignition coils. I experienced similar ish but my scanner pointed out that it's the coil. I replaced the bad one and the car is OK now

How do I get a scanner?

(1) (Reply)

Mercedes Is Spending $1 Billion To Go Electric In Alabama / Top 10 Most Valuable Auto Brands Of 2017 / Drive To Nigeria From The Uk / Europe

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.