Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,105 members, 7,814,881 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 09:53 PM

Lagos Building Collapse: Woman Commits Suicide After Losing Two Children - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Lagos Building Collapse: Woman Commits Suicide After Losing Two Children (52092 Views)

Woman Commits Suicide After Her Groom-To-Be Died One Week To Their Wedding / Woman Commits Suicide Over Friend’s Unpaid LAPO Loan In Ibadan / Woman Commits Suicide In Batsari, Katsina (Graphic Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos Building Collapse: Woman Commits Suicide After Losing Two Children by dre11(m): 7:12am On Mar 15, 2019
●It’s painful seeing my son in critical condition, cries mother

●‘My sister’s 18-month-old son died in crèche’

By Taiwo Jimoh and Muritala Ayinla

A mother, who lost her two children in the collapsed structure on Wednesday, committed suicide after she received news of the death of the children. The woman, it was learnt, gave birth to the two children, who were between the ages of six and four, through Caesarean Section (CS). When our correspondent visited her house at Gambari area of the Island, her husband refused to speak. However, some neighbours said the woman bought a bottle of insecticide called ‘Sniper’.

“Nobody knew what she wanted to do with the Sniper. But a few minutes later we saw the bottle beside her where she was sleeping. By the time people got there she was already dead,” a neighbour, who craved anonymity, said. Sympathisers, however, thronged their house to condole with the husband and family members. Hundreds of teachers and students from different private schools yesterday marched on the site of the collapsed building. One of their grievances was that schools should have been given holiday to mourn dead pupils and teachers.

They also called on the government to pull down every distressed building on the Lagos Island to check further loss of lives. Meanwhile, a mother, Yetunde, whose son was injured in the three-storey building which collapsed was too traumatised by the sight of the boy lying critically in the hospital bed. She had not sat down for over nine hours. She had been moving from one corner of the Lagos Island General Hospital to the other in search of the prescribed drugs and other needs demanded by the doctors. Yetunde is one of the lucky parents, whose children were pulled out of the rubble alive.

The boy survived the injuries and traumatic experience. His two legs were in Plaster of Paris (POP).Recollecting the event of the past 24 hours, Yetunde said that she was the person that dressed the boy for school.

She had already left the house, when she received a call that the school, which her son attends, had caved in, leaving many children trapped. She called on well-meaning Nigerians to pray for the speedy recovery of her son. The woman who refused to give the name of her son, busted into tears whenever she made attempt to speak.

Among the visibly disturbed women at the Island General Hospital was a lady who gave her name as Taiwo Jimoh. Jimoh, who was among those resuscitated by the staff of the General Hospital following the shock from the tragic incident, said she was in the hospital to commensurate with her sister, whose three children were involved in the collapsed building.

She said: “Samiat, Rodiyat and Roqib are my sister’s children. One of the children, who were a year and six months old, died at the Massey Children’s Hospital. My sister’s children are Samiat Afolabi (six), Rodiyat Afolabi (10) and Roqib Afolabi (18-month-old). We lost Roqib in the incident. Roqib was the only son and youngest among the children. Roqib was aged 18 months. He was in the crèche of the school.

https://www.newtelegraphng.com/2019/03/lagos-building-collapse-woman-commits-suicide-after-losing-two-children/

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lagos Building Collapse: Woman Commits Suicide After Losing Two Children by JasonScoolari: 7:13am On Mar 15, 2019
Gave birth to them through Caesarean Section which is a very painful way to bring forth a child into this world, now hearing such news about their death was really devastating for her...

She couldn't take the pains anymore, She couldn't enjoy the joy of motherhood.

This is really painful.

233 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Lagos Building Collapse: Woman Commits Suicide After Losing Two Children by donstan18: 7:13am On Mar 15, 2019
It's very difficult to get over things like this.

Your kids wakes up, you dress and prepare them for school, next thing they are dead.

So traumatising cry

Rip to the deceased.

This will be a very hard time for the husband who has lost his wife and two kids within 3 days.

175 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Lagos Building Collapse: Woman Commits Suicide After Losing Two Children by KingSatan: 7:20am On Mar 15, 2019
cheesy
Re: Lagos Building Collapse: Woman Commits Suicide After Losing Two Children by Nobody: 7:33am On Mar 15, 2019
Make Dem observe the man well o, B4 he decide to join them.

80 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Building Collapse: Woman Commits Suicide After Losing Two Children by Nobody: 7:33am On Mar 15, 2019
KingSatan:
cheesy
Even if u want to book space, why use this emoji for such news, are u ok

116 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Lagos Building Collapse: Woman Commits Suicide After Losing Two Children by Jayslicky: 7:36am On Mar 15, 2019
I don't even have much to say, such a tragic week for the family loosing two children is not easy to live with. The woman felt she had no reason to live anymore that why she resorted to suicide, the husband must be in state of delima right now, I pray God gives all the victims of the disaster strength to carry one, my condolences to the family of the dead persons.

30 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Lagos Building Collapse: Woman Commits Suicide After Losing Two Children by thesicilian: 7:36am On Mar 15, 2019
You see a distressed woman who just lost 2 children under such tragic circumstances going to buy poison, and you say you didn't know what she was going to do with it?

183 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Lagos Building Collapse: Woman Commits Suicide After Losing Two Children by Oyimeoyimemua(f): 7:39am On Mar 15, 2019
Oh! Rip
Re: Lagos Building Collapse: Woman Commits Suicide After Losing Two Children by idonhammer: 7:41am On Mar 15, 2019
chaii this is really bad.

7 Likes

Re: Lagos Building Collapse: Woman Commits Suicide After Losing Two Children by GlorifiedTunde(m): 7:42am On Mar 15, 2019
Why sell her Sniper in the first place?

You know she's grieving and you wicked desire for profit aided her suicide undecided

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Building Collapse: Woman Commits Suicide After Losing Two Children by adedayourt(m): 7:43am On Mar 15, 2019
No b my children but as d thing dey do me for body sef,
Feel the woman's pain but suicide?

Tis well sha

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Building Collapse: Woman Commits Suicide After Losing Two Children by diablos: 7:43am On Mar 15, 2019
Very sad. Is so bad that news of storey buildings collapsing in this manner is usually rampant in that particular region.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lagos Building Collapse: Woman Commits Suicide After Losing Two Children by majamajic(m): 7:43am On Mar 15, 2019
no one around her ?
so so sad !!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Building Collapse: Woman Commits Suicide After Losing Two Children by kingthreatz: 7:43am On Mar 15, 2019
One act of irresponsiility has now ended families. The owner of that building should be jailed
Also if any of your loved ones is going through a traumatic period. it is good you check up on them, be with them. Give them reasons to move on.

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Building Collapse: Woman Commits Suicide After Losing Two Children by damola1: 7:43am On Mar 15, 2019
Hmm
Re: Lagos Building Collapse: Woman Commits Suicide After Losing Two Children by Sisqoman(m): 7:44am On Mar 15, 2019
Big RIP
Re: Lagos Building Collapse: Woman Commits Suicide After Losing Two Children by backnbeta(f): 7:44am On Mar 15, 2019
Naija peeps sha! Woman loses two children tragically, buys sniper the following day, yet neighbours claim they didn't know what she wanted to do with the sniper!

God, this is just too much to bear...preventable loss of innocent children...this is sad!

19 Likes

Re: Lagos Building Collapse: Woman Commits Suicide After Losing Two Children by Skepticus: 7:45am On Mar 15, 2019
cool
Re: Lagos Building Collapse: Woman Commits Suicide After Losing Two Children by princemillla(m): 7:45am On Mar 15, 2019
Terrible my friend, terrible. But suicide. It's never an option.

I pray God forgive her sins

1 Like

Re: Lagos Building Collapse: Woman Commits Suicide After Losing Two Children by opalu: 7:45am On Mar 15, 2019
THE 6 MAJOR REASONS WHY BUILDINGS COLLAPSE :-
1. Lack of Experienced Professionals:- Most buildings being constructed or already built in Nigerian Cities especially Lagos and Abuja didn't have Experienced Professionals overseeing them. I went to rescue one Estate Project of several mansions that was built without a COREN Structural Engineer. So I had to redesign and reconstruct a good number of column points to make it stand. The Buildings were already at Decking level!!! One of the Mansions is sold for hundreds of millions yet a professional couldn't be engaged till there was problems.
2. Using of inferior materials:- Some clients deliberately tell workers to use low quality materials. While others want good quality materials but they want to buy by themselves. And when they go to the markets, the sellers will know they are JJCS and sell them inferiors at higher prices. The Site workers would accept and then use without complaining. After being in this field for a long time, I would simply reject such materials because many people will die in the next 5 to 10 years from that day.
3. Faulty or No Structural Design:- 80% of clients only know about Architectural design but don't understand the role of Structural design. The effect is that they want to be "begged" before paying for what will make their building to stand. they It is the Structural that design that shows the Position and sizes of Columns (pillars), it shows they type and depth of Foundation, it reveals the details of all structural members of your structure.
4. PRIDE- Many clients are proud. They feel they know construction more than the Professionals when that is not their line. They read some few things from Google and they feel that they know more than someone that spent 12 years in Tertiary institutions and15years in the field.
5. Other Professionals taking the role of Structural Engineers. A Surveyor or Architect or Geologist or Mechanical Engineer or Electrical Engineer etc CANNOT take a place of Structural Engineer. The Structural Elements are the Skeleton & Muscle of the Building. If the Bones have problems no matter how much Makeup you do or how nice your dressing it won't solve the bone problem. You need an expert in that field to solve it.
6. There are Some Bad Eggs in our profession who though experienced They charge very high prices and they know Packaging. They know that Clients like Efizy and they give them swags. How do you know such people? They try to confuse you with excess technical terminologies. Some tell you the weight of the equipment they will bring to your site, you give them the work, they give you below what is required and shortly after that, buildings start cracking within 3 years. Clients who don't value Truth always hook up with these people.
��REST IN PEACE TO ALL THE CHILDREN THAT DIED IN THIS COLLAPSE

-Engr Opaluwa M.Sc, B.Eng, ND, COREN.

29 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Lagos Building Collapse: Woman Commits Suicide After Losing Two Children by kingthreatz: 7:46am On Mar 15, 2019
thesicilian:
You see a distressed woman who just lost 2 children under such tragic circumstances going to buy poison, and you say you didn't know what she was going to do with it?

I have said it. Sniper should be banned. An easy option when the thought of suicide comes.

9 Likes

Re: Lagos Building Collapse: Woman Commits Suicide After Losing Two Children by Mizwisdom(f): 7:46am On Mar 15, 2019
I find this story hard to believe

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Building Collapse: Woman Commits Suicide After Losing Two Children by Toks2008(m): 7:46am On Mar 15, 2019
Tears in my eyes as i write this.

Can we now see how Nigerians are killing fellow citizens? A building that was marked for demolition and even people moved out just to move in again after the demolition mark was removed probably after somebody has collected bribe and we can now see the negative ripple effect.

"It touches one to lose precious lives in any kind of mishap, particularly those so young and tender," "May God grant everyone affected by this sad incident fortitude and succor."

GOD PLEASE GRANT THIS WOMAN ETERNAL LIFE SO SHE CAN LIVE FOREVER WITH HER KIDS. i cant just hold back tears right now.

26 Likes

Re: Lagos Building Collapse: Woman Commits Suicide After Losing Two Children by Protein0: 7:47am On Mar 15, 2019
Pavore9:
"However, some neighbours said the woman bought a bottle of insecticide called ‘Sniper’.
If the above was actually true, those neighbours do not owe the family any condolences.

The report even has it that Nobody knew what she wanted Sniper for. No war o. She wanted to kill the insects that has been troubling her home ni. What a nice time to kill them.
I pity the poor woman. Her friends, close relatives and neighbours failed her. They should watch the man too. cry

12 Likes

Re: Lagos Building Collapse: Woman Commits Suicide After Losing Two Children by BB9ja007: 7:48am On Mar 15, 2019
thesicilian:
make God no let u encounter problem
Re: Lagos Building Collapse: Woman Commits Suicide After Losing Two Children by Pavore9: 7:48am On Mar 15, 2019
"However, some neighbours said the woman bought a bottle of insecticide called ‘Sniper. Nobody knew what she wanted to do with the Sniper"....Someone who just lost her children was seen with sniper and no one could make a connection!

11 Likes

Re: Lagos Building Collapse: Woman Commits Suicide After Losing Two Children by thesicilian: 7:48am On Mar 15, 2019
BB9ja007:
make God no let u encounter problem
And you too. Please try to understand a post before commenting.

16 Likes

Re: Lagos Building Collapse: Woman Commits Suicide After Losing Two Children by eben1marketer: 7:49am On Mar 15, 2019
Fake news. Check the source
Still looking for a reliable Web design company? Get your website done without advance payments. Check out our beautiful designs and details HERE

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Slay Queen Calls Out Man Who Allegedly Tried To Rape Her During A Date (pics) / Kenyan Government Deports Four Chinese For Whipping A Kenyan Waiter (Photos) / Man Kills His 4-Year-Old Son With A Cutlass In Anambra, Gets Arrested (Graphic)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.