Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,792 members, 7,831,559 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 09:00 PM

What Happens If Governor Elect Die Before Inauguration - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Happens If Governor Elect Die Before Inauguration (1779 Views)

Biden Reminds People About Tinubu’s Drug Trafficking History Before Inauguration / CCB Orders Ministers-designate To Proclaim Assets Before Inauguration / Allegation Of Arrest Plot Before Inauguration Rocks NASS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Happens If Governor Elect Die Before Inauguration by genied1(m): 9:29pm On Mar 17, 2019
So I am just wondering; what will happen if (God forbid) President/Governor elect dies before may 29th? I need answers
Lala

1 Like

Re: What Happens If Governor Elect Die Before Inauguration by genied1(m): 9:30pm On Mar 17, 2019
Lalasticlala
Re: What Happens If Governor Elect Die Before Inauguration by SadiqBabaSani: 9:31pm On Mar 17, 2019
Lol, Ask Yahaya bello

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Happens If Governor Elect Die Before Inauguration by SadiqBabaSani: 9:32pm On Mar 17, 2019
There Shud be a Provision in The Electoral Act, BT My take is that The Runner up wud take over.

The Deputy wud av, BT since dey ain't sworn in yet, can't say
Re: What Happens If Governor Elect Die Before Inauguration by Yankee101: 9:41pm On Mar 17, 2019
You wan kill am?
Re: What Happens If Governor Elect Die Before Inauguration by Greyworld: 9:43pm On Mar 17, 2019
SadiqBabaSani:
Lol, Ask Yahaya bello
runner up during the party primary election.
Re: What Happens If Governor Elect Die Before Inauguration by Nobody: 9:44pm On Mar 17, 2019
SadiqBabaSani:
There Shud be a Provision in The Electoral Act, BT My take is that The Runner up wud take over.

Eva since Yahaya Bello n Abubakar Audu issue happened, after d whole event, a law has bn made dat d duputy will av to take ova should dis happen again, instead of running another election like dat of Yahaya Bello.

So, @Op, d vice wil take ova...Howeva, we sudnt wish bad to anyone, I understand u are just curious tho.

3 Likes

Re: What Happens If Governor Elect Die Before Inauguration by daddytime(m): 9:46pm On Mar 17, 2019
You get one wey you wan kill?

1 Like

Re: What Happens If Governor Elect Die Before Inauguration by Southwest2023: 9:47pm On Mar 17, 2019
They will burial him at his house.
Re: What Happens If Governor Elect Die Before Inauguration by seunmsg(m): 9:50pm On Mar 17, 2019
SadiqBabaSani:

Very wrong. If a governor-elect dies, the deputy governor-elect will be sworn in as the governor. The above scenario is different from the Audi/Faleke situation because Audu was not the governor-elect as at the time of death.

2 Likes

Re: What Happens If Governor Elect Die Before Inauguration by respect80(m): 9:51pm On Mar 17, 2019
Southwest2023:
They will burial him at his house.
And his wife and children along with other sympathizers will cry...
Then he will be buried. Dazzol
Re: What Happens If Governor Elect Die Before Inauguration by Toosure70: 9:51pm On Mar 17, 2019
I know you are referring.....
Re: What Happens If Governor Elect Die Before Inauguration by Southwest2023: 9:52pm On Mar 17, 2019
cheesy grin
respect80:

And his wife and children along with other sympathizers will cry...
Then he will be buried. Dazzol

1 Like

Re: What Happens If Governor Elect Die Before Inauguration by slivertongue: 10:00pm On Mar 17, 2019
His deputy will take over
Re: What Happens If Governor Elect Die Before Inauguration by ChristianNorth: 10:12pm On Mar 17, 2019
How you wan kill? We no trust you people.
Re: What Happens If Governor Elect Die Before Inauguration by yuanexchanger: 10:43pm On Mar 17, 2019
house please enlighten us
Re: What Happens If Governor Elect Die Before Inauguration by engrsyer(m): 11:08pm On Mar 17, 2019
The electoral law says we are voting party and not person. So if the party's flag bearer wins the election and dies before swearing in, the first runner up during the party's primaries would emerge.

But my own challenge is, taking APC presidential candidate for example whom came through consensus(I.e sole candidate) of the party without any runner up. What would happen if he dies(God forbid) before swearing in?
Re: What Happens If Governor Elect Die Before Inauguration by Nobody: 11:46pm On Mar 17, 2019
engrsyer:
The electoral law says we are voting party and not person. So if the party's flag bearer wins the election and dies before swearing in, the first runner up during the party's primaries would emerge.

But my own challenge is, taking APC presidential candidate for example whom came through consensus(I.e sole candidate) of the party without any runner up. What would happen if he dies(God forbid) before swearing in?
You are contradicting yourself bro.
The deputy governor elect will be sworn in if INEC had already concluded the election and declared a winner.

The case of Yahaya Bello was never captured in the Constitution before that event that was why it was kind of complicated. The OP's question is right there in the Constitution which makes it easier for the deputy to take over without any problem.

As for Buhari and his vice, same will still apply as the election and a winner is already declared by INEC.

1 Like

Re: What Happens If Governor Elect Die Before Inauguration by Naijiant: 11:56pm On Mar 17, 2019
The constitution holds in Section 181(1): “If a person duly elected as Governor dies before taking and subscribing the Oath of Allegiance and oath of office, or is unable for any reason whatsoever to be sworn in, the person elected with him as Deputy governor shall be sworn in as Governor and he shall nominate a new Deputy-Governor who shall be appointed by the Governor with the approval of a simple majority of the House of Assembly of the State.”
More and why the Kogi State situation was different, plus why the Supreme Court reached the wrong decision (probably due to bribery).
https://www.naijiant.com/articles/the-kogi-conundrum/
Re: What Happens If Governor Elect Die Before Inauguration by engrsyer(m): 12:28pm On Mar 18, 2019
kingkakaone:

You are contradicting yourself bro.
The deputy governor elect will be sworn in if INEC had already concluded the election and declared a winner.

The case of Yahaya Bello was never captured in the Constitution before that event that was why it was kind of complicated. The OP's question is right there in the Constitution which makes it easier for the deputy to take over without any problem.

As for Buhari and his vice, same will still apply as the election and a winner is already declared by INEC.
Okay sir... Thanks for the expository

(1) (Reply)

Breaking: PDP Sweeps Imo State Rerun, Wins Ngor Okpoala / Nigerian Naira Fast Becoming The Weakest Currency In Africa / ‘soldiers Came To Kill Me:i’d Be Shot In The Head And Dumped In A Shallow Grave'

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.