Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,809 members, 7,810,110 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:55 PM

Who Knows The Origin Of "naija"? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Who Knows The Origin Of "naija"? (1090 Views)

BUHARI's SUPREME MILITARY COUNCIL , Names And States Of Origin Of Members. / The Origin Of AIDS: OPERATION MK-NAOMI / The Origin Of Boko Haram (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Knows The Origin Of "naija"? by 2tait: 8:16pm On Sep 03, 2010
The name of our country is Nigeria. However the name Naija seems to stick and has become very popular.
Who knows the origin of this name and how it came about. Where and when was it first used?
Re: Who Knows The Origin Of "naija"? by tpiah: 9:26pm On Sep 03, 2010
dont know, but it could come from [river] niger, since the pronunciation is the same.

shortened form of nigeria.
Re: Who Knows The Origin Of "naija"? by googles: 9:35pm On Sep 03, 2010
I think Mr. Mungo Park named it Nigeria meaning "Niger Area"

am not sure how true it is sha o. . .dont quote me
Re: Who Knows The Origin Of "naija"? by 2tait: 5:35pm On May 01, 2011
some one suggested that the slang "naija" was originated by nigerian students in UK in the early 50's /60's as a way of identifying fellow nigerians without attracting the attention of other foreigners/whites. in the same way as "smoke" was used to refer to the police. maybe someone can reconfirm this.
Re: Who Knows The Origin Of "naija"? by efisher(m): 7:57pm On May 01, 2011
Yeah that's interesting to know. I however do not think it has anything to do with the River Niger. Same way people say KD (for Kaduna), Lag (for Lagos) B-side (for Benin), PH, etc. The origin of these slangs is very hard to trace and there is usually no logic to it. It just springs up and everyone somehow begins to use it.
Re: Who Knows The Origin Of "naija"? by KnowAll(m): 8:23pm On May 01, 2011
Naija has been the Yoruba name for Nigeria from time memorial, most Yoruba folks when talking of their country people tend to use words like " awon Niaja" which is a slang more than 55 years old because I know that slang is as old as when my old folks were studying in England in the 1950's.
It is good it has become a mainstream slang but its humble beginning by Nigerian diaspoaras in the UK in the 1950's and beyond should not be denied.
Re: Who Knows The Origin Of "naija"? by ezeagu(m): 8:29pm On May 01, 2011
Naija - Niger, it's not hard.

(1) (Reply)

JUST IN: Another Bomb Explosion Reported At Shalom Chuch, Trikania, Kaduna State / Vote For Romney Or Loose Your Jobs If Obama Wins - CEOs Warn Employees / National Newspaper Headlines(sunday, 28 October 2012)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.