Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,495 members, 7,819,807 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:07 AM

Kelechi Iheanacho: Nigeria Coach Questions Striker's Commitment - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Kelechi Iheanacho: Nigeria Coach Questions Striker's Commitment (15260 Views)

What Do You Have To Say About Nigeria's Coach, José Peseiro So Far? / Our Tactics Made Life Difficult For South Africa, Says Nigeria Coach Rohr / Gernot Rohr: I Rejected ‘Good Offers’ To Continue As Nigeria Coach (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Kelechi Iheanacho: Nigeria Coach Questions Striker's Commitment by naptu2: 2:08pm On Mar 22, 2019
Kelechi Iheanacho: Nigeria coach questions striker's commitment

By Oluwashina Okeleji
Football Writer, Nigeria

22 March 2019

Leicester City and Nigeria striker Kelechi Iheanacho has not scored a goal since September

Nigeria coach Gernot Rohr has questioned Leicester City striker Kelechi Iheanacho's commitment and professionalism to the national team.

The 22-year-old was overlooked for the Super Eagles' two matches this month after failing to score a goal for club or country since September.

Rohr was scathing of Iheanacho on the eve of his team's Nations Cup qualifier against Seychelles.

"I think he must be more professional," the German coach said.

"We're not satisfied with his performances the last time he was with us.

"There's a new coach at Leicester City (Brendan Rodgers) and it (his omission) will be an opportunity for Iheanacho to show during this international window that he wants to get back into the starting team of Leicester.

"Personally, I think it's a good thing for him to stay back at his club to prove this."

Rohr was asked by reporters whether he expected more from a Nigeria international.

"It's not good enough to be funny all the time," he responded.

"You must show that you are serious by working hard every day in the training sessions.

"And show that you seriously want to come back into the team at the club and also with us."

Iheanacho made an immediate impact to the start of his senior international career, scoring seven goals in 11 matches.

But a combination of a loss of form and lack of confidence have left him searching for his first international goal since scoring against Argentina in November 2017.

Iheanacho has 10 goals in 58 matches for Leicester City since joining the former Premier League champions from Manchester City in August 2017.

At international level, he has scored eight goals in 24 appearances for Nigeria since making his senior debut against Swaziland in November 2015.

He starred as Nigeria won the 2013 Under-17 World Cup in the United Arab Emirates for a record fourth-time and emerged as the tournament's outstanding player, being voted the Most Valuable Player.

He scored six goals to secure the Silver Boot as the competition's second-highest goal-scorer.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/amp/football/47669107?__twitter_impression=true

1 Like

Re: Kelechi Iheanacho: Nigeria Coach Questions Striker's Commitment by hensben(m): 2:22pm On Mar 22, 2019
This guy don see money him don relax. No more hunger to play football.
Typical average naija mentality

50 Likes 1 Share

Re: Kelechi Iheanacho: Nigeria Coach Questions Striker's Commitment by naptu2: 2:23pm On Mar 22, 2019
More reactions.

Re: Kelechi Iheanacho: Nigeria Coach Questions Striker's Commitment by MorataFC: 2:23pm On Mar 22, 2019
His father killed his career simple

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Kelechi Iheanacho: Nigeria Coach Questions Striker's Commitment by hyzich(m): 2:24pm On Mar 22, 2019
lol.. village people don hide his talents in his big lips grin shocked

1 Like

Re: Kelechi Iheanacho: Nigeria Coach Questions Striker's Commitment by Honor10: 2:25pm On Mar 22, 2019
how are the mighty fallen! i don't know the calamity that befell this guy, watching him play in that under 17 world cup give me so much joy and happiness, I had great expectation of him, I thought we av seen another okocha, I don't know it is another Yakubu. SMH!

18 Likes

Re: Kelechi Iheanacho: Nigeria Coach Questions Striker's Commitment by seankay(m): 2:26pm On Mar 22, 2019
African players never strive to get better. They are contented with their ability as long as they are getting paid. SMH

Iheanacho has what it takes to be world class but he seems not to have that interest.

21 Likes

Re: Kelechi Iheanacho: Nigeria Coach Questions Striker's Commitment by MorataFC: 2:26pm On Mar 22, 2019
It is better to start from the bottom ladder then to the top but his father said it is better for him to start his own ladder from the top

2 Likes

Re: Kelechi Iheanacho: Nigeria Coach Questions Striker's Commitment by MorataFC: 2:27pm On Mar 22, 2019
naptu2:
More reactions.
Re: Kelechi Iheanacho: Nigeria Coach Questions Striker's Commitment by BravoDe: 2:27pm On Mar 22, 2019
Product of media...diswan too have flop like welbeck and Walcott... I pray rashford and Odoi won't end up like this
Re: Kelechi Iheanacho: Nigeria Coach Questions Striker's Commitment by tsinzu: 2:28pm On Mar 22, 2019
Iheanacho is a lazy player. He just remained at the same level and refused to improve his game.that's the difference between him and people like Ronaldo. Ronaldo always tried to improve different aspects of his game until he became the best. Iheanacho will just be playing the same pattern he played at junior level and think he will make it like that. Lazy player!!

13 Likes

Re: Kelechi Iheanacho: Nigeria Coach Questions Striker's Commitment by naptu2: 2:29pm On Mar 22, 2019
MorataFC:

Scroll up and go back to the post.
Re: Kelechi Iheanacho: Nigeria Coach Questions Striker's Commitment by toprealman: 2:30pm On Mar 22, 2019
The guy needs to recalibrate.....fast!
Re: Kelechi Iheanacho: Nigeria Coach Questions Striker's Commitment by Feranchek(m): 2:31pm On Mar 22, 2019
Pikin wey pursue money instead of career growth, watin you expect?? And do I blame him?? NO! Naija hard no be small, and too many pressure from village people owing to the kinda poor background he came from. So dude needed to meet up, and I really do not blame him biko.

But the goodnews is that, there's still hope. He can still turn his career around come summer, by leaving Leicester and opting for playing times in a relatively small club in Spain, Portugal or or even Germany.

I love the dude (no homo) and I wish him all the best.

10 Likes

Re: Kelechi Iheanacho: Nigeria Coach Questions Striker's Commitment by Nobody: 2:31pm On Mar 22, 2019
tsinzu:
Iheanacho is a lazy player. He just remained at the same level and refused to improve his game.that's the difference between him and people like Ronaldo. Ronaldo always tried to improve different aspects of his game until he became the best. Iheanacho will just be playing the same pattern he played at junior level and think he will make it like that. Lazy player!!

How can u mention Ronaldo and kelechi in the same sentence. Are u high? Compare kelechi with bojan krkic or jordan ibe.

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: Kelechi Iheanacho: Nigeria Coach Questions Striker's Commitment by slawomir: 2:31pm On Mar 22, 2019
Okay
Re: Kelechi Iheanacho: Nigeria Coach Questions Striker's Commitment by Runaway: 2:34pm On Mar 22, 2019
Very lazy player....

1 Like

Re: Kelechi Iheanacho: Nigeria Coach Questions Striker's Commitment by NigeriaBam: 2:37pm On Mar 22, 2019
The guy is trying...
Re: Kelechi Iheanacho: Nigeria Coach Questions Striker's Commitment by Nobody: 2:37pm On Mar 22, 2019
There are 3 stages in a man's life.

1.Survival level

2.Success level

3.Significant level

As far as I am concerned, most Africans be in sports,religion, politics,academics are satisfied to remain on the survival level.

Messi and Ronaldo are at the significant level but they keep striving hard but African footballers with their mindset will choose to remain where they are.
Those collecting 500 £ a week keep meeting up as the bar is raised but African footballers just end up in mediocrity.

4 Likes

Re: Kelechi Iheanacho: Nigeria Coach Questions Striker's Commitment by quickly: 2:40pm On Mar 22, 2019
he and rashford were on the same level 2 yrs ago....

14 Likes

Re: Kelechi Iheanacho: Nigeria Coach Questions Striker's Commitment by LadyHeaven(f): 2:41pm On Mar 22, 2019
I bet nobody caught that BALLS statement made by the last tweet commentator grin

13 Likes

Re: Kelechi Iheanacho: Nigeria Coach Questions Striker's Commitment by LesbianBoy(m): 2:47pm On Mar 22, 2019
Iheanacho is more interested in spending his money on male celebrities who come to the UK for show and slay queens grin grin

6 Likes

Re: Kelechi Iheanacho: Nigeria Coach Questions Striker's Commitment by bjjose: 2:48pm On Mar 22, 2019
This old man make used small boy age take start football. Now he see he mate ho no fit play anything again.

4 Likes

Re: Kelechi Iheanacho: Nigeria Coach Questions Striker's Commitment by Cityfirstborn(m): 2:51pm On Mar 22, 2019
Typical of Nigerian players, once the money start coming, they relax no hunger again. He is lucky he went to city if he had joined porto they would have shipped him back to nigeria,

6 Likes

Re: Kelechi Iheanacho: Nigeria Coach Questions Striker's Commitment by Nobody: 2:51pm On Mar 22, 2019
the young man should invest his 90k salary wella because after leicester he is going down. made wrong career moves

6 Likes

Re: Kelechi Iheanacho: Nigeria Coach Questions Striker's Commitment by OlawaleBammie: 3:00pm On Mar 22, 2019
MorataFC:
It is better to start from the bottom ladder then to the top but his father said it is better for him to start his own ladder from the top

ahahaha, laf wan kil me, omo ake nie, dat boy na scam joo, person wey supose go fc porto jejely, hin dey rush go mancity cus of fame and money.....na hin problem be dat joo

1 Like

Re: Kelechi Iheanacho: Nigeria Coach Questions Striker's Commitment by KingDonPablo: 3:00pm On Mar 22, 2019
Honor10:
how are the mighty fallen! i don't know the calamity that befell this guy, watching him play in that under 17 world cup give me so much joy and happiness, I had great expectation of him, I thought we av seen another okocha, I don't know it is another Yakubu. SMH!
Yakubu is one of the greatest players Nigeria and Africa has ever produced. Most of these youngsters cannot fill his boots. He is the third highest scoring Aftican in the history of the premier league. The fact that he missed that goal against South Korea should not be a reason for you and other myopic people who know nothing about football to disrespect him. Anyone could have missed.

19 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nigeria Remembers Sam Okwaraji At Cup Games / FIFA Announces New Rule, Racists Will Now Get Automatic 10-game Ban / Wilfred Ndidi Signs New Six-Year Contract With Leicester City

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.