Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,444 members, 7,846,836 topics. Date: Saturday, 01 June 2024 at 02:57 AM

The implications of APC Governorship Primary nullification in Zamfara - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The implications of APC Governorship Primary nullification in Zamfara (3195 Views)

Appeal Court Overturns Nullification Of Diri’s Election As Bayelsa Governor / Alhassan Doguwa: Speaker Sent Me Official Cars After My Election Nullification / Seun Fakorede: Oyo PDP Daucus Calls For Nullification Of Commissioner Nominee (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The implications of APC Governorship Primary nullification in Zamfara by Jeboy(m): 8:59pm On Mar 25, 2019
The Court of Appeal sitting in Sokoto has nullified the primary of the All Progressives Congress (APC) for the governorship election in Zamfara State.

https://www.channelstv.com/2019/03/25/breaking-court-nullifies-zamfara-apc-governorship-primary/?fbclid=IwAR27KDe22QsZK3vlIDqcNUl-qto4z57ltVFNAxxMwr0c4I7AkdaKWzlIdRA

Please Lawyers in the house should help with the implications of the judgement by the Court of Appeal. Meanwhile Zamfara State candidate has just been elected for a four year tenure.

2 Likes

Re: The implications of APC Governorship Primary nullification in Zamfara by iluvdonjazzy: 9:27pm On Mar 25, 2019
the second runner up will take over

5 Likes

Re: The implications of APC Governorship Primary nullification in Zamfara by iluvdonjazzy: 9:28pm On Mar 25, 2019
Oshiomhole is an error to APC

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The implications of APC Governorship Primary nullification in Zamfara by Nobody: 9:30pm On Mar 25, 2019
iluvdonjazzy:
Oshiomhole is an error to APC
Oshomole was only an employee of some big politician. He was only doing as directed by the Bourdillon boss.

1 Like

Re: The implications of APC Governorship Primary nullification in Zamfara by BuhariAdvocate: 9:32pm On Mar 25, 2019
The party will disregard the court order.

1 Like

Re: The implications of APC Governorship Primary nullification in Zamfara by ozo13(m): 9:42pm On Mar 25, 2019
A lawyer was interviewed earlier on channels tv and he was like saying court may likely order for a rerun in zamfara.
Will they still be going to supreme court or it ends with the appeal judgement.
Re: The implications of APC Governorship Primary nullification in Zamfara by Jeboy(m): 9:42pm On Mar 25, 2019
Do you have a precedent case that we can refer to?

iluvdonjazzy:

1 Like

Re: The implications of APC Governorship Primary nullification in Zamfara by kahal29: 9:49pm On Mar 25, 2019
ozo13:
A lawyer was interviewed earlier on channels tv and he was like saying court may likely order for a rerun in zamfara.

Court of Appeal Decision in Mene vs Abubakar 1999

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The implications of APC Governorship Primary nullification in Zamfara by senatordave1(m): 9:54pm On Mar 25, 2019
ozo13:
It will still go to supreme court
Re: The implications of APC Governorship Primary nullification in Zamfara by senatordave1(m): 9:55pm On Mar 25, 2019
kahal29:

Court of Appeal Decision in Mene vs Abubakar 1999
What was the ruling
Re: The implications of APC Governorship Primary nullification in Zamfara by Nobody: 9:55pm On Mar 25, 2019
Jeboy:
Do you have a precedent case that we can refer to?

I do not think you need any precedence on this. If a party did not field s candidate all votes recorded for that are invalid votes. So A PC votes in Zamfara are invalid.

7 Likes

Re: The implications of APC Governorship Primary nullification in Zamfara by Jeboy(m): 9:59pm On Mar 25, 2019
I see, this case is different from Amaechi case where a wrong candidate was presented.

By your suggestion it means a new election in Zamfara or they will give the PDP runner up?

Amitez:

I do not think you need any precedence on this. If a party did not field s candidate all votes recorded for that are invalid votes. So A PC votes in Zamfara are invalid.

2 Likes

Re: The implications of APC Governorship Primary nullification in Zamfara by iluvdonjazzy: 10:06pm On Mar 25, 2019
Amitez:

Oshomole was only an employee of some big politician. He was only doing as directed by the Bourdillon boss.
yea Tinubu
Re: The implications of APC Governorship Primary nullification in Zamfara by Jeboy(m): 10:07pm On Mar 25, 2019
Please lawyers in the house help us throw light on this judgement as it seems the petitioner is not even PDP.
Re: The implications of APC Governorship Primary nullification in Zamfara by richidinho(m): 10:22pm On Mar 25, 2019
The runners up which is the PDP will be sworn in since APC did not conduct any known primaries just like Rivers, they ought not to have field any candidate in the election

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: The implications of APC Governorship Primary nullification in Zamfara by Jeboy(m): 10:24pm On Mar 25, 2019
Second runner up in main election which is PDP candidate or second runner up in APC governorship primary which is still APC?

iluvdonjazzy:
the
second runner up will take over

1 Like

Re: The implications of APC Governorship Primary nullification in Zamfara by kahal29: 10:43pm On Mar 25, 2019
iluvdonjazzy:

It's not automatic
Re: The implications of APC Governorship Primary nullification in Zamfara by 3plet: 10:49pm On Mar 25, 2019
Jeboy:

Second runner up in main election which is PDP candidate or second runner up in APC governorship primary which is still APC?

Apc didn't conduct a valid primary, so no winner talk more of runner up for apc.
Re: The implications of APC Governorship Primary nullification in Zamfara by nameo: 10:56pm On Mar 25, 2019
kahal29:

It's not automatic

It is automatic.

Very clear....... if the Supreme court upholds this judement, all votes to APC are invalid and so the 2nd runner up candidates will be sworn in as winner.

That is it

The idea of a rerun is preposterous cos whether the election is held again, APC cannot participate if the judgement is upheld.

Let me say why this is the law, I kinda have a personal problem with it based on principle

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The implications of APC Governorship Primary nullification in Zamfara by Nobody: 12:16am On Mar 26, 2019
Jeboy:

Please, PDP is RUNNER-UP, not Second runner-up. The term second runner-up actually means third place candidate.

2 Likes

Re: The implications of APC Governorship Primary nullification in Zamfara by Jeboy(m): 9:54am On Mar 26, 2019
Thanks one of the post above explains everything better.

Amitez:

Please, PDP is RUNNER-UP, not Second runner-up. The term second runner-up actually means third place candidate.
Re: The implications of APC Governorship Primary nullification in Zamfara by Jeboy(m): 9:57am On Mar 26, 2019
Are you a lawyer? You seem to explain it well from the point of the law. Thanks for the legal insight. PDP will just be watching proceeding from afar.

nameo:

It is automatic.

Very clear....... if the Supreme court upholds this judement, all votes to APC are invalid and so the 2nd runner up candidates will be sworn in as winner.

That is it

The idea of a rerun is preposterous cos whether the election is held again, APC cannot participate if the judgement is upheld.

Let me say why this is the law, I kinda have a personal problem with it based on principle

1 Like

Re: The implications of APC Governorship Primary nullification in Zamfara by cyberguy72(m): 10:00am On Mar 26, 2019
Jeboy:
Are you a lawyer? You seem to explain it well from the point of the law. Thanks for the legal insight. PDP will just be watching proceeding from afar.

This is just Divine Intervention....APC be paying for their sins.

1 Like

Re: The implications of APC Governorship Primary nullification in Zamfara by freeze001(f): 10:12am On Mar 26, 2019
The candidate that participated in the main elections and scored the 2nd highest number of votes. Besides, the contention is that APC did not conduct primaries in line with INEC directives so which runner up in primaries are you referring to?
Jeboy:

2 Likes

Re: The implications of APC Governorship Primary nullification in Zamfara by ChristianNorth: 10:14am On Mar 26, 2019
Mama Taraba vs Darius at the Appeal Court. The Appeal Court nullified all the votes to PDP because Darius was not duly elected as candidate and then declared Mama Taraba duly elected for coming second place.

The Supreme Court overturned the judgment because Ikpeazu SAN (the legal counsel of Adeleke in the last Tribunal) was Lead Counsel that led INEC legal team that defended INEC's acceptance of Darius' nomination.

Unlike in Taraba where INEC went to defend the nomination of Darius, in Zamfara, INEC is going to court to argue against the nominations of APC.
Re: The implications of APC Governorship Primary nullification in Zamfara by freeze001(f): 10:15am On Mar 26, 2019
nameo:

It is automatic.

That is it. The idea of a rerun is preposterous cos whether the election is held again, APC cannot participate if the judgement is upheld.

Why though?
Re: The implications of APC Governorship Primary nullification in Zamfara by nameo: 11:58am On Mar 26, 2019
freeze001:

Why though?

Cos the votes of the majority of people would not then be respected.

Think of it: if the Supreme court upholds this judgement, PDP and other parties who were runner ups would be sworn in as winners. But those are not who the majority of people in Zamfara wanted and voted for. I have a problem with that.

Also, the very idea of restricting an entire party from participating in an election and hence restricting the choice of people to only a few(or in this case) practically one choice, is also troubling for me.

But I understand the courts. They are right, legally speaking. APC didnt follow their own laid down rules and the electoral law, and there would be consequences for breaking the law. The law is blind in that respect.

The good side tho is that hopefully political parties and politicians would be more circumspect and would always be careful to following the law going forward. The law is the basis for civilization and predictability.
Re: The implications of APC Governorship Primary nullification in Zamfara by freeze001(f): 12:04pm On Mar 26, 2019
nameo:

Cos the votes of the majority of people would not then be respected.

Think of it: if the Supreme court upholds this judgement, PDP and other parties who were runner ups would be sworn in as winners. But those are not who the majority of people in Zamfara wanted and voted for. I have a problem with that.

Also, the very idea of restricting an entire party from participating in an election and hence restricting the choice of people to only a few(or in this case) practically one choice, is also troubling for me.

But I understand the courts. They are right, legally speaking. APC didnt follow their own laid down rules and the electoral law, and there would be consequences for breaking the law. The law is blind in that respect.

The good side tho is that hopefully political parties and politicians would be more circumspect and would always be careful to following the law going forward. The law is the basis for civilization and predictability.

The bold part is the crux of the matter and summarises the issues beautifully. No one should benefit from deliberate lawlessness and refusal to play by the rules. This is also why voter education is fundamental so that the majority can hear and understand why certain decisions are taken.

2 Likes

Re: The implications of APC Governorship Primary nullification in Zamfara by Xzevian(m): 1:22pm On Mar 26, 2019
Zamfara Guber Dilemma. (PT 2)
By: Akinloye NG

New twist, new legal analysis.

Appeal Court being intermediate appelate court, the APC is still within valid appeal days which it can approach the Supreme Court for final decision on the issue.

But unlike I analysed in the last analysis, since the total number of political parties that participated in line with the provisions of the CFRN 1999 and Electoral Act 2010 both as amended, are now fewer having excluded the APC, the new total votes cast will be equal of what other parties polled.

Base on this new analysis, any political party that has satisfied the following provisions of the CFRN 1999 in its
S.177(c), S.179(2a,b&c), S.65(1b), S.77(1), S.106(d) and S.117(1), shall have its candidate declared as governor, Senate, Reps and state Assembly member according. Copied

(1) (Reply)

An Orchestrated Plan To Pit The Fulanis Against The Yorubas / Look At What Was Given To The Whole Of Ilapo Community, / IPOB ESN members Arrested With Bombs And AK47

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.