Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,276 members, 7,811,808 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 08:08 PM

Owl In Our Estate A.K.A The Challenge - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Owl In Our Estate A.K.A The Challenge (2018 Views)

Step's To Build Up Resistance Against The Challenge's Of Life / Educated Illiterate (A Poem By Oladoyin Micheal-a.k.a Prof. Mike Breeze) / An English Grammar Equivalent Of K.A Stroud’s Engineering Mathematics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Owl In Our Estate A.K.A The Challenge by Optional12345(m): 6:36pm On Mar 29, 2019
Copyright 2019@ David A.

All rights reserved.
No part of this work should be distributed or used without the prior written permission of the author.

This is entirely a work of fiction and any resemblance to persons living or dead is purely coincidental.

Re: Owl In Our Estate A.K.A The Challenge by Nobody: 6:39pm On Mar 29, 2019
First to comment
Re: Owl In Our Estate A.K.A The Challenge by Optional12345(m): 6:42pm On Mar 29, 2019
Synopsis

“Friend, if only you put your whole effort in the right direction, you shall triumph among your friends and foes, albeit with the help of your creator.”

− Book of honest inspirations.

He was constantly criticized by his father because of his poor performance in school, but was however, always covered by his mother.

During the holiday, he found love in uncovering the identity of an owl which took a liken at the back of their house lately, not minding how warped the idea seemed. Incidentally, the owl had never been there before, it only started appearing on the same evening, a boy of his age came to spend holiday with his uncle in the same estate.

The pattern of occurrence between the owl and the new boy was suspicious to him, and against all odds, he was determined to find out if the new boy was the owl or not.

Now, was he able to uncover the identity of the owl? Find out for yourself.
Re: Owl In Our Estate A.K.A The Challenge by Optional12345(m): 6:43pm On Mar 29, 2019
Livecamp09:
First to comment

Welcome bro
Re: Owl In Our Estate A.K.A The Challenge by Optional12345(m): 6:46pm On Mar 29, 2019
ONE

Our small estate was located at the end of Ambe-Tamen Street. It had about 10 locally built 2 bed-room flats, scattered and enclosed in an old and broken fence which was always attracting the attentions of passers bys’. Five of the flats were occupied by my parents and I, and four other tenants, leaving the remaining five empty. And though our small estate was unadorned, the presence of palm trees at the back and front of each flat beautified our entire compound, making it a beauty to behold.

But our small state was not without its own vexation. Bats were always flying freely, in and out of each flat every evening. Not surprising, for many days, a beautiful white owl had taken a like at the back of our flat, specifically at the edge of the roof. I was not sure why it opted for our flat in particular because other flats had bats in it as well. However, I felt that it was there hunting for bats which had already designed our ceiling with their urine and faeces, expressing their troublesome artistic talents. But something made me curious, and I became perplexed and restless, wanting to satisfy my curiosity. This owl had never been there, it only started appearing when this particular boy called ‘Dekera’ came to spend the holiday with his uncle, Iorzua Aver. And every night when his absence was obvious, the owls’ presence was certain, amazingly.

In my little world, the manner in which the whole incidence was occurring had already exceeded coincidence, and it became a thing I took pride in to unravel.

There was this day; everyone went out as usual in our small estate. My parents had gone to the store as well, leaving me all alone. I was playing music in our parlour. Suddenly, a strong bang on a door in our compound sent shivers down my spine. As part of our neighbourly love for each other, I dropped the remote control in my hand at once and advanced towards the window. Pulling the curtains aside a little, I peeped through the window to see who or what was there.

It was Dekera, he was dancing to the music I was playing. Strangely enough, I could not understand the pattern of his dance. In one second, he gyrates, in another second; he falls to the ground, exposing his teeth while looking in the direction of the window I was peeping. The way he was gathering himself up quickly afterward was daunting in my eyes. And he continued dancing with great zest.

I picked the remote control and put the music on hold. I came back and peeped again. This time, he was frowning; he also sent two of his palms towards my direction as his fingers were all separated from each other, clearly suggesting that he was insulting me.

“This owl,” I muttered to myself.

That was a strong offence Dekera had committed in my world. Everyone in our estate had a special dislike for Dekera and his uncle because of their ill manners. So, it was always a thoughtful thing to avoid them as possible. Yet, Dekera had the courage to insult me even when I did not offend him. I was playing music for my pleasure and not for him. I placed it temporally in my heart.

When I saw all that he had done, I played the music again to monitor his reaction. This time, he was grinning. I became enraged at once, and I stopped the music. Then, I stepped out of our flat and stood in the corridor staring at him. He began to feel offended, and then he started frowning and insulting me, in my very presence.

For about 3 minutes, each of us was just there. When he was done insulting me, he started throwing sharp glances at me, showing his white eyes which made him appear like an owl. I was suspecting him to be one, but I needed to be sure before exposing him.

“Good morning Dekera,” I greeted him in a lowly voice, walking towards him.

“Small boy, how are you,” he replied, putting his hands in his pocket while firmly fixing his gaze at me.

Offence noted, I groaned and planted it in my heart again. It was so unfair of him to answer me that way, after all the insults, even though I had held my peace. We were probably of the same age. I was 15 years old and I had heard him talking about his age with his uncle few days back. I ignored his ‘small boy, how are you’ question and kept mute, staring at him. For who or what was he after all?
When it dawned on him that I wanted to talk to him, he began to hiss. But this was a boy whom together with his uncle, everyone had hated in our estate. He was becoming more offensive to me already.

I quickly made up my mind and decided that I would use the opportunity to obtain little information from him. I was determined to find out If he was the owl in our estate or not.

“City people, is that how they behave?” he confidently asked, dropping down his head.

“How do you mean?” I gazed at him

“You stole my hairstyle,” he announced at once, looking up. Then, he pulled off the face cap he was wearing, and waved it in my face.

At first, I did not know whether I should be angry or not. This was the strangest person I had ever met in my life. The more I was trying to understand and get something from him, the more he was bewildering me. Incidentally, he was carrying a skin punk, which had a single short line just at the centre of the punk, and I was carrying the same hairstyle. Unfortunately, I never took notice of his, since he was always putting on an extremely yellow face cap. The colour alone was a strong repellent for my eyes. In my opinion, the face cap always made him look dowdy.

“I have been wearing this hairstyle before you came to this estate, and I am sure you know that. I will consider it a mere joke.” I replied him calmly, not wanting to offend him because of the investigation I wanted to carry.

“You are just being silly. City people are not different from village people.” He yelled, banging hard on their door.

The noise that emanated afterwards was deafening and I began to feel uneasy. I thought only the white people had psychos’ in their countries, but here was one, right from a certain village in my own country, right in my face.

“You must be joking,” I insisted, smiling at him.

“And the city boy is opening his brown dentition, thinking he is smiling.” He paused, and continued, as soon as I stopped smiling. “The hairstyle I’m carrying, many of us have it in my village, and now I brought it to the city and the city boy just stole it without remorse.” He shook his head and flung his face cap back on his head.

I ignored him. Apparently, he was not making any sense to me. I went ahead and raised a different topic, something I was interested in.

“Tell me about owls,” I implored him.
He raised his eyebrows as if he was shocked, then he beckoned me to sit on the bench under the palm tree in their frontage. I obeyed him like an obedient servant, taking orders from his master and sat down on the bench quickly. My ears were already itching to hear him out.

“Since I came to this estate, we barely talk to each other. Sure, you all don’t like my uncle and I, but who cares anyway. And now, you want something from me?” He was mocking me.

“Yes,” I nodded in affirmation.

“Okay, I will be brief,” he began and I nodded again, smiling. “In my village, some people believe that there is a strong connection between owls and evil people. Those who don’t sleep at night for the sake of harming others. I mean those witches and wizards.” Then he paused, noticing that my head was shaking almost uncontrollable.

For there were many thoughts pouring in my mind, in a torrent, and I was literally trying to stop it all at once. One of the thought was that, he was a wizard; another suggested that, he was the very owl in our estate; another affirmed that, the pattern of his dance was straight from darkness; and another scolded me that, my parents would surely be displeased, seeing me comfortably talking with him.

“Is that all?” Immediately, I asked him after taking control of my thoughts.

“No, but I see that you are not co-ordinated enough to receive such vital knowledge. You are too fearful; you don’t deserve to have such knowledge on a platter of gold.” He stood up from the bench as if he wanted to leave.

“Fine, I will pay for it,” I suggested at once, and he slowly sat back.

“How much?” He enquired.

I looked at him and removed a 100 naira note from the back of my pocket and fixed it in his hand. He removed it immediately, tearing and splashing the pieces in my face. I held my peace for peculiar reasons.

“How much do you want?” It was now my turn to ask

“You know, I am bigger than a 100 naira note,” he began, patting my shoulders as if I was a baby. “With or without money, I can still tell you about owls, but trust me, you won’t value it, unless you pay for it.”

“I understand, how much exactly do you want?” I wanted him to name the amount.

“₦5000 flat,” he announced and stood up again.

“What!” I exclaimed, for I was upset with his price tag.

“I don’t negotiate when it comes to things like this,” he openly declared, in a well mannered tone.

As if that could pacify me, I was still upset.

“Look, you are better off carrying loads in the market. Use your head or get a wheelbarrow, at least that amount is sure in a day without stealing.” I became enraged.

I guess he thought I was so foolish. The fact that I wanted to learn about owls from him was not an acceptable reason to descend so low for a village boy like him to defraud me.

I removed 200 naira this time and pointed at him. He collected it and tore it again, pouring the pieces in my face.

I sprang from the bench and charged at him sharply, seizing him by his shirt.

“You better let me alone,” he shouted.

I wanted to let him alone but it occurred to me that if I do not scare him, he would take advantage of that and began to torment me in the estate. Fighting him was not an option. My parents had warned me never to fight again, and I could not remember the last time I fought.

“Why should I leave you when you have torn all my money?” I voiced out, still seizing his shirt.

“Remember, you came here on your own, I did not call you here.” He intruded, separating my hands from his shirt.

It was not a surprise at all. He made a non debateable point. Indeed, he did not call me to their flat.

Just then we heard a motorcycle coming close to our estate. My instinct alerted me immediately that it was father. Father had warned me to make sure I had nothing to do with Dekera, the very first day he arrived our estate. Remembering that, I left Dekera under the palm tree and walked quietly towards our flat, following my instinct. Father was one that abhors trouble, and so, it was a thoughtful thing that I left, not wanting to bring him trouble unnecessary.

Dekera stood there wailing, ‘come and collect your money.’ I turned and looked at him, but seeing that the estate gate was ajar, I quickly dashed into our flat, poking my head in between the burglary proof to be sure it was father or not. Dekera was then jeering uncontrollable under the palm tree. He was particularly doing that because of me. It was not a hard thing to understand.

When father entered, he stopped jeering at once. Father was yet to look in his direction when he picked a broom on their corridor and started gathering the pieces of money together. I saw father cast a quick glance at him before looking away.

Then I dropped my face to the ground and consoled myself. If only I had not gone there in the first place, this boy would not have torn my money. That was part of my holiday savings. For the insults, I decided to let go of it, erasing it from my heart and afterward, slumping into the chair.

1 Like

Re: Owl In Our Estate A.K.A The Challenge by Nobody: 8:20pm On Mar 29, 2019
Optional12345:

Welcome bro

Hope it is interesting

1 Like

Re: Owl In Our Estate A.K.A The Challenge by adeosuntunde: 10:07pm On Mar 29, 2019
Bring it on

1 Like

Re: Owl In Our Estate A.K.A The Challenge by Optional12345(m): 11:44pm On Mar 29, 2019
All ye ghost readers angry sad cry cry cry cry cry cry

Una well done!

grin grin grin grin grin

moseph grin
Re: Owl In Our Estate A.K.A The Challenge by moseph(f): 1:01am On Mar 30, 2019
well done op

1 Like

Re: Owl In Our Estate A.K.A The Challenge by Optional12345(m): 5:51pm On Mar 30, 2019
Sorry for the delay.

bluntboy, Ann2012, YINKS89, Faspen, devilmaycry1, Otarkpa, NaijaTushboy, rayvelez, nextlevel10, LightQueen, Slimnonny, Stevenbright, DemiKOL, kenstephen16, missmossy, officialbazor, kingin55, cortix, Eronsammy, aprilwise, Jasmine4, AvatarMode, Portablefola, Uniquechild, moseph, Xeynab, stizzy, Jeweltab, IAMAmbrose, nekkygracie, Gucciqueen38, emeraldlife, TheAngry1, sarang, phoenixchap, Ruiiby, FreshyD, Bolaji299, ADDUKKY, Arom21, Felixdgreat, izaray, josepphh, debbycreamy, mustybad, philgo, Ayomideen, Joylove0267, yungnut, toyhin123, okafor200, BIGGIE121, tsharp, wizsolzy, Kaycee9242, BUGOFF, solomonbrown64, space01, swizz123, purity23, Evold, Ayanfe29, Divineroyalty, paafin, Wadewaltz, sly12345, skubido, do4luv14, Ven97, ashatoda, Thobiy
Re: Owl In Our Estate A.K.A The Challenge by Optional12345(m): 5:55pm On Mar 30, 2019
Dedicated to moseph, adeosuntunde and Livecamp09

TWO

Soon, father entered our house, looking very tired. It did not take long before he sent me out of the house to go and help mother at the store. Father was having a mild headache and hence, the reason he came back to rest.

By the time I had my bath and stepped out of the house, Dekera was standing in their corridor. He wore a black t-shirt that had a bold inscription on it, ‘call me owl.’ I carried my eyes away at once when I noticed that he was flaunting the t-shirt. I began to think where I had seen such inscription before and suddenly, it dawned on me that the t-shirt belonged to his uncle. The original inscription was ‘call me fowl.’ We only started seeing the man with the t-shirt when he realised that he was hated by everyone in the estate. I was sure Dekera had scrapped off the ‘f’ alphabet. No wonder, there was more space between ‘me and owl’ than ‘call and me.’

I hurried to the store to meet mother. That day, there were many customers at the store because the charcoal we had was one of its kind.
Customers were saying that, it was not burning fast and yet it produced much fire and heat. I never bothered to know where my parents got the charcoal from; it was not something that I was interested in.

Later that evening, mother and I returned home with enough vegetables and one big fresh fish. That was our favourite, especially when taken at dinner. We were all seated eating at the dining table when our roof shook. The clear landing sound of a bird was heard. Throwing out any doubt, I immediately knew it was the white beautiful owl, after looking at the wall clock. The time was exactly 9:35 PM.

Quickly, I exchanged glances with father and mother who were still eating. I was full already. Father never liked talking about the owl; it did not bother him. He was of the opinion that, it was just an ordinary owl, hunting for bats. That was my conviction as well, but Dekera was confusing me.

“It’s the owl again,” I announced, washing my hands.

“Owl this, owl that. Can’t we just have a peaceful dinner for once?” Fathers tone changed.

“I am sorry Sir,” I never knew when those words came out of my mouth.

“Sorry for yourself. I hope you are not coming back here to eat after owl hunting?”

“No Sir, I am done eating already,” I answered politely.

“If you don’t like the owl, kill it. You are such a woman.” He said, licking his fingers which were covered with the vegetable stew. “I wish you value your er. Just kill the owl.” He added

I felt the insult. How could father refer to me as a woman? Truly, it was a thoughtful thing to get rid of the owl since it was irritating me. The sound it makes, the whitish fluid it always leaves on the wall and floor, and many more.

I was also sure father wanted to scold me concerning my education, but he repented, imploring me to kill the owl instead. I was below an average student in education. It was as though my parents were spending money on me for nothing. It was as bad as that.

Uncovering the identity of the owl was something I decided to do during the holiday, not minding how warped the idea was. I wanted to accomplish one thing at least.

When I turned back and looked at father, he was busy enjoying his vegetable soup. He was not bothered whether his words were offensive to me or not.

“Daddy,” mother called out. “You should not be calling our son, a woman. You know it is good that he is not comfortable with the owl. I am not comfortable as well. You can see that almost all the flats in this estate have bats in it, but the dear owl chooses ours. Don’t you think that it’s unfair? Or perhaps, you like the whitish fluid it always leaves on the wall and floor? Mother preached an episode.

“Look woman,” father began, and then the owl hooted, irritating me much like before.

I made for the door at once, picking a stone in front of our house. By the time I reached the palm tree at the backyard, the beautiful owl had disappeared.

“Come back and face me, if you think you can. I am ready for you today.” I yelled thinking that the owl might hear me out and accept the challenge.

Nothing came out in particular, and I could only hear the usual barking sound of dogs in our vicinity.

Suddenly, people began to jeer outside our fence. They were about 3 of them, flashing touch lights towards our fence. The light passed through the broken fence and caught me. At once, I took cover hiding behind the palm tree.

The people began to jeer again. One of them called our estate, an estate for mad people. And they all laughed. Another said, ‘this kind of estate is good for wicked people.’ Hearing such words disheartened me. For what was the basis of their horrible conclusion? If it were not because of bats, Dekera and his uncle, our estate was one of the extremely peaceful estates one could ever think of.

Retreating back to the compound, I noticed that there was no foot wears in Dekera’s uncles’ corridor, which was strange to me. Normally, when there were foot wears in their corridor, it was a sign that someone was in the house, but when there were no foot wears in the corridor, it was a sign that there was no one in the house. It was like a norm to them. I noted all that because I took my time to uncover it.

My suspicion was growing stronger, day by day. The owl was either Dekera or just an ordinary owl. It was apparent. I sat back in our corridor, patiently waiting to see when Dekera would return home.

Soon, my parents’ heated argument rose higher bursting out of the house, making me pick an interest in it. I did not know what exactly they were arguing about, but I heard them mentioning my name before they lowered their voices. I began to eavesdrop. Father was saying, he had warned me about Dekera and his uncle, but it looks like I had refused to hear him. He also said, earlier in the morning when he was coming from the store, he saw Dekera and I trying to sort out things for ourselves. He also added that, he saw pieces of money on the ground.

When I heard all that, my heart sank; for how come father knew all that? I thought I had left Dekera alone before he had entered the estate gate. Sometimes father amazed me with his actions. He behaves like a self trained psychologist.

I strained my ears to hear more of it, but their voices were lowering more and more, and afterward, mother called me in. They had already finished eating. I packed the plates to the kitchen, washed all of it that night and retreated back to the sitting room.

Times like this when father talked about me with mother were good times for me. There would be less trouble and charging at me even as a 15 year old boy. I knew mother would hamper and protect me from fathers hurt.
No one questioned me as I lay there in the chair rehearsing my defence within myself. I wanted to be ready if at all I was asked about the incidence that happened between Dekera and I earlier. Relief then clouded my whole being when father sprang up, heading to their bedroom quietly, leaving mother and I in the parlour. I gathered myself up at once, and entered my room, slumping into my bed.

Dekera’s whisper outside brought me back to a state of alertness. I sprang up to the window. Power had just been restored, and our small estate was glowing. I could clearly see him since my eyes were all in his direction. Our flat was also the nearest to the estate gate. I watched him carefully as he entered their flat, with his dusty legs and hands, holding something in a small black customer leather.

“Where has he been when the owl landed?, Why the dusty legs and hands?, Why the ‘call me owl’ t-shirt in the first place?” The questions popping in my head were many. Perhaps, Dekera was proud to be an owl, or maybe he was trying to be ruse.

The night was getting older, so I picked my diary and a pen which was just beside my pillow, and started writing:

Dear diary, this is the 7th day I will be writing in your pages. It is for no other reason than the previous reasons. Today, I would be writing a poem in your pages, and I hope you would like it.

Owl in our estate
White and beautiful
Annoying and irritating

Owl in our estate
Of all the houses
It chooses ours

Owl in our estate
It showed up when Dekera came
Strangely enough

Owl in our estate
At night when it comes
Dekera is nowhere to be found

Owl in our estate
I shall satisfy my curiosity
A thing I took pride in.

Closing the diary afterward, I placed it beside my pillow and my eyes drifted slowly to natures call.
Re: Owl In Our Estate A.K.A The Challenge by Optional12345(m): 6:07pm On Mar 30, 2019
Livecamp09:

Hope it is interesting
Sure
Re: Owl In Our Estate A.K.A The Challenge by Optional12345(m): 10:59am On Mar 31, 2019
THREE
Re: Owl In Our Estate A.K.A The Challenge by Optional12345(m): 10:26pm On Mar 31, 2019
FOUR
Re: Owl In Our Estate A.K.A The Challenge by Optional12345(m): 5:48am On Apr 01, 2019
FIVE

The fresh morning air of monday was already blowing when I wake up to the sweet aroma of the stew mother was preparing. I sprang up at once from my bed and entered my bathroom. There, everything I needed to clean up myself was ready. Quickly, I brushed my teeth and took my bath, heading straight to the kitchen. That was when my parents were leaving for the store. I decided that, I would be going to the market that day to get myself a catapult.

After eating, I headed straight to market, passing through Senen’s house. From a distance, it was impossible to understand what my eyes were seeing. I increased my pace, reaching their compound quicker.

“What!” I exclaimed

Dekera and Senen were both fighting, right there at Senen’s residence. Dekera lifted Senen up, hitting him to the ground. At once, he started throwing punches straight in his face. My anger aroused, and I charged at Dekera at once, dragging him aside. When Senen sprang up, he was bleeding from the mouth.

“This owl,” I yelled, and Dekera charged at me. He held my shirt so tight that I could barely catch my breath. Senen stood there cleaning the blood from his mouth. Suddenly, he rushed and kicked Dekera at his butt. Dekera fell to the ground. Senen rushed and started punching him, but I interrupted, not wanting the fight to escalate. Even so, I understood that fighting was bad. I pulled Senen aside and we stood together, staring at Dekera, who was breathing heavily on the ground.

“Keep away from my estate.” Dekera warned Senen, as he picked himself up from the ground.

“Your estate?” We chorused in unison, but Dekera was rather hesitant to talk. Instead, he stared at us and walked away.

“You see what I having been suspecting. Just yesterday that you came to our estate and tried stoning that owl at our backyard, today Dekera is here fighting you. Coincidence?” I asked Senen.

“I don’t know. Whatever.” He responded in a lowly voice.

“How did it start?” I enquired.

“He was just passing, when he saw me coming out of Mama Iveren’s restaurant. He probably must have followed me at the back from a little distance. I did not even notice it. When I reached home, I stood outside and he came near, warning me to mind my business. I was confused at first, but soon, it occurred to me that it was Dekera, I became angry and asked him to leave. That was when he started threatening me.” Senen narrated.

“Dekera is irritating. How could he ask you to mind your business? I think it’s because of the owl.”

“Whatever.” Senen replied in a lowly voice again. He was feeling sad.

I patted his shoulder. The whole thing was funny but I needed not to laugh. I knew that it would surely offend my friend. We began to think of what to do, and I came up with a suggestion of reporting Dekera to our parents, but Senen rejected the idea, insisting that, he would think about what to do.

I looked at my friend, he was looking scared. When I asked him to accompany me to the market, he refused. According to him, he would be leaving for the village that day and not the following day anymore.

“Why the sudden change of plans,” I asked him.

“I just feel like leaving today.” He answered.

I guess it was because of the fight that made him take that decision. I left him alone and waved at him. He promised to bring back whatever he had learned about owls from his village, at my pleading.

Following the route to the market, Dekera was coming back leisurely. He was looking from one side of the road to another, as if he was searching for something. The expression on his face was lucid, as I watched him nearer. Fearing that he might want to trouble Senen again, I retreated to Senens house quickly. He had already taken his bath and prepared for the journey. I showed him Dekera from a distance and he smiled.

“Why are you smiling,” I enquired, looking at him.

He immediately removed a brown wallet from his shuttle bag and showed me. It looked like the one father kept in the store.

“Who is the owner?”

“Your guess is as good as mine.” He answered, laughing.

That was when it dawned on me that the wallet belonged to Dekera, and searching through it, the contents were surprising.

“How did you get it?” I asked, handing back the wallet to him.

“It fell when he held me to the ground. I am sure he did not notice it.” Senen explained.
I was much occupied with the thought of separating the fight, and hence my inability to notice the fallen wallet. I thought within myself.

“That was why I said, we should not report him.” Senen reminded me.

Dekera reached the opposite of senen’s residence; he raised his head up, looking at us. We did the same, but no one talked to him. He continued throwing glances here and there. We knew he was searching for the wallet, but he was too full of himself to ask us or perhaps, apologize. The frustration written all over his face was apparent, and he started groaning, I could sense it even from afar.

The wallet was of great importance. It belonged to his uncle. It had about 4 ATM cards in it, belonging to 5 different women. It had little money in it too and some passports, with other valuables. He kept lingering but when he noticed that we were leaving, he also left immediately.

“How come his uncle had 4 different ATM cards belonging to 5 different women?” Senen was asking me as if I had the right answer to it.

“I am suspecting the man to be a fraudster.”

“What!” You took the words right from my mouth.

“What then are you suggesting?” I asked him, not wanting to make a lone decision.

“We are going to give him back the wallet with everything in it. But let us wait and see if he would lower his ego and ask for it.” Senen said surprising.

“Thank you for that. May we not take what belongs to another and keep for ourselves. But remember, Dekera is cunning, we may need to be careful returning the wallet, or else he may lie against us. I have been his victim.” I explained and Senen nodded in affirmation.

“How long has Dekera’s uncle stayed in your estate?” Senen threw a thoughtful question.

“It’s about 2 years and some months now,” I began. “And guess what? We have only seen him with only one male friend, who barely visits him, the rest however are usually females who appear like senior prostitutes, but for about 2 weeks now they have stopped coming. I don’t know why. He also claims to be working with one building and construction company at the outskirt of the town.”

When Senen heard all that, he sighed.

“My uncle works in one of the companies there.” Senen said.

“You know there about 3 of the companies there.”

“Yes, I do know. The one my uncle works with is called ‘Topup building and construction Company Ltd.”

At once, I remembered the name. It was familiar and I had no doubt about it. That was the name of the company Dekera’s uncle claimed he was working with. Senen promised to enquire from his uncle if he knows Dekera’s uncle.

Afterward, we both walked together to the bus stop where Senen boarded a bus. I asked him about his uncle who was supposed to go with him, but he said, the man was not going again. He had handed him over to the bus driver earlier today.

Soon, the bus took off and I found my way to the market. There, I bought the carterpot. And the seller, a man probably in his late 50’s acknowledged that, it was a good one. According to him, I was going to hunt down any animal by using the catapult, irrespective of my expertise. I knew he was lying at once. He was only trying to induce me. I began to wonder if it were okay to induce customers with heavy lies to make sales. In our charcoal business, father and mother never thought me that. But I collected the catapult, paid his money and disappeared anyway. After all, I needed it.
Re: Owl In Our Estate A.K.A The Challenge by Optional12345(m): 9:11am On Apr 01, 2019
jo2222, I see you.

1 Like

Re: Owl In Our Estate A.K.A The Challenge by Optional12345(m): 1:20pm On Apr 01, 2019
The only people I want to kill are the ghost readers.

_ Centino Katakata
Re: Owl In Our Estate A.K.A The Challenge by Optional12345(m): 1:27pm On Apr 01, 2019
SIX

Retreating home, I met an ongoing drama that was entertaining, but saddened me. It was Dekera and his uncle. The man was chasing him round the compound with a big cane that looked almost like my hand. Dekera was pleading helplessly, but the man was not listening, instead he was shouting at him, ‘let me get hold of you first, I will kill you or send you back to the village.’

I knew it was because of the wallet and I began to feel uneasy. As Dekera could no longer go far, he fell to the ground close the palm tree in our facade. His uncle came dragging him on the ground to their corridor. Dekera was crying and pleading like a baby. I wonder why he was refusing to say he lost the wallet.

“You have no idea what is in that wallet and all it meant to me, you don’t know.” He yelled at him, lashing him, again and again.

“Please uncle, please. Let me tell you the truth.”

“Go on.” The man beckoned him, as he was enraged.

“I took it, but unfortunately misplaced it. I have being searching for it since morning. Please let me go and search for it again, I am sure of finding it this time.” Dekera’s eyes were all tears as he continued to plead.

I felt sorry for Dekera. My conscience began to rear its head. For how could I know exactly the where about of the wallet and still keep quiet. What if the boy was killed by his uncle? So many questions entered my head, but the problem was that, my friend Senen had taken the wallet to his village, and I was afraid telling Dekera or his uncle about it may lead to something else. Dekera was never to be trusted.

I entered our flat and slumped back in the chair, thinking of what to do. Dekera was still sobbing outside. I could hear him clearly.

“You better find it or you are finished.” His uncle pronounced outside.

I was sure Dekera was seeing this side of his uncle for the first time.

“Did you hear that?” My own thought reminded me, then I stood up, not knowing what to do, and I slumped back into the chair feeling confused and tired. I felt like talking to Terfa about it, but he was yet to come back from the office. After sometime, I slept off.

By the time I was up again, it was after 6:00 PM. My parents had returned from the store and mothers’ voice waked me up. I was dreaming before waking up; a good dream at that. But everything that happened in it had completely gone off my mind, except the part that Dekera was pleading to someone to forgive him, and we were both together. I could not understand it.

“Why are you having a catapult?” Father asked, holding my new catapult in his hand. “This boy, you just want to disgrace us. Are you interested in hunting?”

“No Sir,” I answered.

“Daddy,” Mother intruded. “Remember you once said, if he wasn’t comfortable with the owl, he should kill it.”

When mother said that, I smiled. She had always gotten my back and I was thankful for that.

I quickly packed everything my parents had brought home to the kitchen. It was mainly soup ingredients.

“Our dear son is spending his whole holiday hunting for owls while others are busy studying.” Father said, turning to mother. “Woman, do not lay any blame on me when he fails in life or becomes a burden to the society. This is the right time to fix him.”

Father was at it again, hitting me hard with his understanding. Being in fathers’ presence sometimes was boring. He was always finding faults with me, and of course, many times he was right. I just needed to be patient, humble myself and learn from him.

Father asked me to hurry to the kitchen and bring the knife. I obeyed sharply. He collected the knife and cut the rubber attached to the y-shaped stick into pieces. He then broke the y-shaped stick and gave me everything to go and burn outside. I collected and advanced outside.

Apine and Terfa were already home from work. The 2 of them gathered around Dekera, enquiring from him why he was carrying a swollen and moody face, with brushes on his body. I wanted to laugh when his eyes met my gaze, but I held my self sharply as he looked away. More ever, it was not a good thing to mock him in that situation.

“I lost his wallet earlier, and it had valuable things in it.” Dekera told them.

That was when I remembered about the wallet again. I wished Senen was around so that I could just get the wallet from him, and drop in our compound.

“Where is your uncle now?” Apine asked.

“He has gone out. I am not sure of the exact place.”
“Ah Chairman,” Terfa began and paused, shaking his head. “This one pass me o.”

Apine chuckled.

Terfa’s phone then rang. He removed it, looking at the caller. Then, he moved away and received the call. Meanwhile, Apine asked Dekera to give him few minutes.

I was listening to every conversation that was going on from where I was burning my catapult. It took Terfa more than 5 minutes to finish talking on the phone. Whatever he was saying was surely money concerned, as often times, he would call a big amount of money and began to laugh. When he was done, he advanced straight to his flat. Dekera was looking at him from behind, as if he would say, ‘Uncle, please help me.’

After sometime, Apine brought out food in a plastic plate, with a sachet of water. When Dekera opened it, the imaginary aroma that escaped to my nostril sent me salivating instantly. Even from a far, I could see that it was beans, vegetables and 2 pieces of meat. I saw how Dekera was attacking the food like he had never eaten for a whole week. It poured on his red trouser but it not matter to him; instead, he was bold to make sure everything had finished in the plastic plate. He took the sachet of water and drank all of it.

Apine had indeed had compassion on Dekera, I wonder if my parents saw him when they entered. Perhaps, they would have shown him kindness too.

“Thank you Sir,” Dekera said and Apine nodded.

Apine handed an ointment to Dekera, and then he headed to his flat. Dekera gathered the plates and followed behind.

“Uncle Apine,” Dekera called out, and Apine turned. “Thank you again, again and again.” Dekera bent a little.

That was the first time I had seen Dekera humbled. Dekera turned to leave with the plates in his hands, and his eyes met my gaze. He waved at me slowly like a sick person. His face was heavy. I waved back at him, as we slowly looked away. Then, I rushed towards Apine’s house, I wanted to talk to him concerning the wallet, but I had not reached before he entered his flat. I decided not to go further, Dekera was watching me, and so I came back passing close to him.

“We have your wallet, meet me in flat number 9,” I whispered and passed, not wanting to come close to him, lest father sees me. When I reached our corridor, I turned and looked at him; his face had loosened a little. He was looking happy, and he gave me a thumb up.

“Bem,” Mother called out.
I was still looking at Dekera, and then I entered our parlour. Power had just been restored, and mother wanted me to put on a TV program for them.

When I was done, I rushed out. Dekera was already waiting in flat 9. I told him clearly that we had the wallet but if he tries to lie against any of us, he won’t get it again. He promised that he won’t do anything stupid. Then I told him that Senen had taken the wallet to the village, and until he comes back.

“What!” He exclaimed.

“Yes,” you heard me.

“That means my uncle would kill me before that time.”

“He won’t, just tell him that you will bring it in seven days time.”

“You know that is a joke right?” He said, his face looking scary.

“It’s not a joke.” I insisted.

“Look, if you don’t give me that wallet immediately, I am going to shout.”

“What!” It was now my turn to exclaim. “Shout that what exactly?”

“Are you asking? You heard me right.” He boldly announced.

I looked at him as he was carrying a swollen face. I was trying to help him, but he seemed rather ungrateful. I guess he thought I was having the wallet on me.

Immediately, I shoved him aside and disappeared to our backyard, thinking he was going to shout like he said, but he didn’t. When I looked where he was, he sat on the ground, dropping his head to the ground. Whatever he was thinking was best known to him.

Standing behind the palm tree in our backyard, I was all eyes watching to see if the owl might come. Though my catapult was destroyed and my tree sap had disappeared from the position I kept it, I was still interested in the owl. Who must have taken it was a question I could not answer myself. Father or perhaps Dekera were my suspects.

I garner 15 stones to make a simple practice with. I hung a leather bag which had a stone in it on one branch of the palm tree and stood in a little distance. Targeting the leather bag each time, I would throw the stone with the aim of hitting the lower part alone. It was an easy practice; I spent all the 15 stones without hitting my target.

Afterward, I rested and continued again, but this time, it was 5 stones. I successfully found my target with 3 stones, and gladness filled my heart. That was progress which could result to victory at last.

I stood there waiting for the owl to come, but it didn’t come. Time after time, I would get up and walk around to see maybe the owl was hanging somewhere. When I got tired, I retreated to our corridor. Dekera was sleeping in their corridor, on a mat, snoring heavily. Incidentally, of all the nights that Dekera was out, the owl always came, but the day that Dekera was sleeping in their corridor, the owl refused to come again. But then, it dawned on me that, last night, Senen and I had tried stoning the owl, and so it was a thoughtful thing to the owl to skip our backyard at least for a day. Nevertheless, I was faced with a situation struggling with what to believe.

12 midnight was like ages to me. Twice, mother had come out and asked me what exactly I was still doing outside in the corridor.

“I am receiving air and also waiting for the owl,” twice, I had answered her.

The fact that the weather was hot was even a bonus for me to receive air outside, while waiting for the owl.

Later on, father called me in, asking the same question.

“I am receiving air and also waiting for the owl,” I answered in a lowly voice, knowing fully the consequences.

“How did I come to have this boy as a child?” Father yelled.

“Daddy,” Mother called out.

“Woman, you don’t understand, let him put such efforts in something better, something like studies and he would have no match.” Father lamented. “I know exactly what to do with you. You are going to the store tomorrow.” He added.

It was always easy for father to mention studies when talking to me because I was little concerned about it. Mathematics contributed much to my failure.

At fathers command, I dashed to my room through the door in the parlour. In my room, my ears were still strained waiting to hear the landing sound of the owl, as I stood by the window. But later, I gave up. That was when Dekera’s uncle returned home. It was 25 minutes to 12:00 AM. The man began to shout at Dekera at that lonely hour concerning the wallet.

“I have not seen it uncle, please give me tomorrow.” He pleaded for an additional time.

“Tomorrow, like you said, tomorrow.” The man said angrily.

I slumped into my bed. Sleep was far from me like someone suffering from insomnia. I rolled from one side of the bed to another, and then I made up my mind to save the situation. I knew that some other persons may not have cared, but I did anyway. And the fact that Dekera was showing signs of ungratefulness was never a reason to let him suffer like that.
Re: Owl In Our Estate A.K.A The Challenge by adeosuntunde: 9:25pm On Apr 01, 2019
Soft... Thumb's up

1 Like

Re: Owl In Our Estate A.K.A The Challenge by Doubra12(m): 11:42am On Apr 02, 2019
Nice story, continue pls

1 Like

Re: Owl In Our Estate A.K.A The Challenge by Hamid7(m): 9:07am On Apr 03, 2019
Nice story. Continue.

1 Like

Re: Owl In Our Estate A.K.A The Challenge by Ayanfe29(f): 9:44am On Apr 03, 2019
Optional12345:
Sorry for the delay.

bluntboy, Ann2012, YINKS89, Faspen, devilmaycry1, Otarkpa, NaijaTushboy, rayvelez, nextlevel10, LightQueen, Slimnonny, Stevenbright, DemiKOL, kenstephen16, missmossy, officialbazor, kingin55, cortix, Eronsammy, aprilwise, Jasmine4, AvatarMode, Portablefola, Uniquechild, moseph, Xeynab, stizzy, Jeweltab, IAMAmbrose, nekkygracie, Gucciqueen38, emeraldlife, TheAngry1, sarang, phoenixchap, Ruiiby, FreshyD, Bolaji299, ADDUKKY, Arom21, Felixdgreat, izaray, josepphh, debbycreamy, mustybad, philgo, Ayomideen, Joylove0267, yungnut, toyhin123, okafor200, BIGGIE121, tsharp, wizsolzy, Kaycee9242, BUGOFF, solomonbrown64, space01, swizz123, purity23, Evold, Ayanfe29, Divineroyalty, paafin, Wadewaltz, sly12345, skubido, do4luv14, Ven97, ashatoda, Thobiy

Present Sir.... *Grabs a seat and balances well with cold kunu and Masa*
Re: Owl In Our Estate A.K.A The Challenge by Centino: 2:03pm On Apr 03, 2019
Optional12345:
The only people I want to kill are the ghost readers.

_ Centino Katakata

Lol.

1 Like

Re: Owl In Our Estate A.K.A The Challenge by Kaycee9242(m): 3:54pm On Apr 03, 2019
wow what a nice story, op well done and thanks for the mention

1 Like

Re: Owl In Our Estate A.K.A The Challenge by do4luv14(m): 5:33pm On Apr 03, 2019
Ayanfe29:

cheiiii......
shift mak ah sidon, e don done oooooo
Re: Owl In Our Estate A.K.A The Challenge by germaphobe(m): 6:19pm On Apr 03, 2019
following close
Re: Owl In Our Estate A.K.A The Challenge by Wadewaltz(m): 11:56am On Apr 04, 2019
Ayanfe29:

*Grabs your seat,your kunu spills on the floor*
Next time respect your elders

1 Like

Re: Owl In Our Estate A.K.A The Challenge by Optional12345(m): 7:33pm On Apr 25, 2019
Dedicated to adeosuntunde, Hamid7, Ayanfe29, Doubra12, Kaycee9242, do4luv14, Wadewaltz, germaphobe

Sorry for the delay embarassed :-

My bad, I must acknowledge. Going to complete the story lipsrsealed lipsrsealed :-

Thank you all for understanding smiley smiley smiley
Re: Owl In Our Estate A.K.A The Challenge by Optional12345(m): 7:38pm On Apr 25, 2019
SEVEN
Re: Owl In Our Estate A.K.A The Challenge by Wadewaltz(m): 8:11pm On Apr 25, 2019
Optional12345:
Dedicated to adeosuntunde, Hamid7, Ayanfe29, Doubra12, Kaycee9242, do4luv14, Wadewaltz, germaphobe

My bad, I must acknowledge. Going to complete the story lipsrsealed lipsrsealed :-

I don't understand,explain again

1 Like

Re: Owl In Our Estate A.K.A The Challenge by Doubra12(m): 8:13pm On Apr 25, 2019
Optional12345:

thanks for d mention u are a great writer.

1 Like

Re: Owl In Our Estate A.K.A The Challenge by Hamid7(m): 8:22pm On Apr 25, 2019
Optional12345:

Good you didn't abandon this story. Welcome back.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Freshwater *A debut novellete* / Self-publishing In Nigeria / *****no Matter What******* Chapter One

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 124
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.