Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,361 members, 7,815,774 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:05 PM

INEC To Delist Weak Parties, Review Campaign Funding - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / INEC To Delist Weak Parties, Review Campaign Funding (12868 Views)

Peter Obi Gives Account Of Presidential Campaign Funding / Political Parties Say Withdrawal Limits Will Cripple Campaign Funding / APC, PDP Refuse To Disclose Campaign Funding Sources (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

INEC To Delist Weak Parties, Review Campaign Funding by ebusnwaoma: 5:27am On Mar 30, 2019
The Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC has revealed its plan to delist weak parties and also review campaign funding. The Commission's Chairman on Information and Voter Education Committee, Mr Festus Okoye, who confirmed that INEC will delist weak parties and also review campaign funding at the conclusion of the supplementary elections and petitions filed at various electoral tribunals. He told Punch; 

“The commission is tracking campaign spending by the  parties using its tracking devices. The commission will review the campaign spending of the parties at the conclusion of the current electoral  process.”

He further disclosed that a a review of the performances  of the parties could not be done immediately, because any party stood a chance of victory in the reruns  or at the tribunals.

“The process can only be activated when the commission completes all the supplementary elections and all the election petitions are disposed of. There is a possibility that a party that has not done well in any of the elections may win a seat in the National Assembly or state House of Assembly during the supplementary elections.“At the appropriate time, the commission will review the performances of  the  parties and take a decision on their future.”

https://unclesuru.com/2019/03/30/inec-to-delist-weak-parties-review-campaign-funding/

1 Like

Re: INEC To Delist Weak Parties, Review Campaign Funding by kingphilip(m): 5:39am On Mar 30, 2019
Hope the bullion vans are taken into consideration sha

But the delisting is a welcome idea because too many political parties without relevance is a waste of time as seen in the presidential election collation and announcement

I don't even think the issue is about delisting. Inec have always make this same threat over and over and I can't remember them carrying it out because even HOPE should have been delisted long ago if they've made good their threat.

Aside that there should be a mechanism in place during the registration of political parties because if there's none, I won't be surprised if by 2023 elections we have over 150 presidential candidates.

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: INEC To Delist Weak Parties, Review Campaign Funding by Amuocha: 5:47am On Mar 30, 2019
Should be done quickly

1 Like

Re: INEC To Delist Weak Parties, Review Campaign Funding by ayodaisi: 5:47am On Mar 30, 2019
Inec and their wahala x
Re: INEC To Delist Weak Parties, Review Campaign Funding by Ayoswit(f): 5:48am On Mar 30, 2019
This should be a welcome development. Enough of these mushroom parties. angry

2 Likes

Re: INEC To Delist Weak Parties, Review Campaign Funding by good4all40: 5:49am On Mar 30, 2019
This is a good move, because l can't understand how a party with only 10 votes nationwide will still be allowed to be registered as a party in future elections.

5 Likes

Re: INEC To Delist Weak Parties, Review Campaign Funding by optimismlaz(m): 5:49am On Mar 30, 2019
Sure? They have to

1 Like

Re: INEC To Delist Weak Parties, Review Campaign Funding by kingphilip(m): 5:55am On Mar 30, 2019
Henryodds88:
See below
oga use your rent take do am we no de do

1 Like

Re: INEC To Delist Weak Parties, Review Campaign Funding by GAZZUZZ(m): 5:58am On Mar 30, 2019
this is in reaction to the PDM petition grin
Re: INEC To Delist Weak Parties, Review Campaign Funding by 175(m): 6:01am On Mar 30, 2019
Very good!

Oya let's start the naming and subsequent delisting from here. The following parties, should be affected if not, I won't watch the next Presidential Elections Collation.

Oya. . .

A
AA
AAC
nAPC
nPDP
SNP
BNP
NNNP
KOWA
LALA
NL
ADP
ZAP
SWP
SAP

to be continued.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: INEC To Delist Weak Parties, Review Campaign Funding by holuphisayor(m): 6:09am On Mar 30, 2019
And relist them for 2023.
So, we could have headlines like "97 parties congratulate buhuri"

2 Likes

Re: INEC To Delist Weak Parties, Review Campaign Funding by Drabrah(m): 6:11am On Mar 30, 2019
Somtin dat's long overdue.
Buh hope they won't delist "weak" parties to relist weaker parties sha.
Re: INEC To Delist Weak Parties, Review Campaign Funding by dheaven: 6:16am On Mar 30, 2019
It will still end in stories. No party will be delisted. Maybe they'll adopt electronic voting instead.
Re: INEC To Delist Weak Parties, Review Campaign Funding by Chukwumagordian: 6:17am On Mar 30, 2019
I don't understand why INEC will spend much in printing an A4 paper as ballot paper with more than 70 political parties, at the end everyone that voted ends up voting a maximum of 4 parties.

I think they should delist some. At least, it will reduce the amount FG spends on elections.
Re: INEC To Delist Weak Parties, Review Campaign Funding by tizzle(m): 6:22am On Mar 30, 2019
They shouldn't just delist but stop future registration of new parties... Mergers may be allowed
Re: INEC To Delist Weak Parties, Review Campaign Funding by MANNABBQGRILLS: 6:33am On Mar 30, 2019
Very good way to go.....

They are now waking up.....

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: INEC To Delist Weak Parties, Review Campaign Funding by Kendumazy(m): 6:36am On Mar 30, 2019
Better
Re: INEC To Delist Weak Parties, Review Campaign Funding by princeade86(m): 6:37am On Mar 30, 2019
The bullion van. If u know u know
Re: INEC To Delist Weak Parties, Review Campaign Funding by Nobody: 6:38am On Mar 30, 2019
Good news. We need a maximum of 10 political parties.
Re: INEC To Delist Weak Parties, Review Campaign Funding by Quality20(m): 6:39am On Mar 30, 2019
we want only 3 parties pls. d national assembly shd make laws that tiny parties contest in LG elections or state assembly b4 joining D bigger parties or better still , any party without executive offices in 774 LGs shd not b registered

5 Likes

Re: INEC To Delist Weak Parties, Review Campaign Funding by Exponental(m): 6:52am On Mar 30, 2019
Parties that wasted Nigeria's resources and time......
Re: INEC To Delist Weak Parties, Review Campaign Funding by Timekeeper: 6:57am On Mar 30, 2019
Especially those one shop parties from my igbos States that doesn't know politics.. Only hatred in their mind
Re: INEC To Delist Weak Parties, Review Campaign Funding by BrokenCock: 7:08am On Mar 30, 2019
when you post news stop using irrelevant photos to Illustrate the story.
Re: INEC To Delist Weak Parties, Review Campaign Funding by Glorymax: 7:41am On Mar 30, 2019
Delisting of weak political parties is not enough. There should be legislation to limit the number of political parties to a reasonably manageable number. Five political parties or at most ten can serve all.
Re: INEC To Delist Weak Parties, Review Campaign Funding by sparkleboy(m): 7:48am On Mar 30, 2019
Tampering with our freedom of Association.
INEC cannot arbitrarily delist any political party, except they want to spend all their allocation on legal fees.
They have to set up different criterion that'd would be used to measure the strength of a party. Just like the banking recapitalization.

We lawyers go chop again. grin cheesy grin

1 Like

Re: INEC To Delist Weak Parties, Review Campaign Funding by WomenTrainer: 7:53am On Mar 30, 2019
This proliferation of political parties began after Gani Fawehimi won his case against INEC, am I right?

So, I suggest that INEC creates limitations for parties to contest in presidential elections in particular. For instance, parties that want to present candidates for presidential election must have agents present in each ward all over Nigeria.

That way, I don't think more than 10 parties can present candidates. I believe that'll make our presidential elections more mature and less expensive for INEC and Nigeria.

Who agrees with me?
Re: INEC To Delist Weak Parties, Review Campaign Funding by bluntjudge: 8:08am On Mar 30, 2019
About time. . This mushroom parties contribute in long delay of election result announcement with their zero zero votes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Fuel Price Soars By 81% Despite N6tn Subsidy Payment – NBS / "Reno Omokri Is Not Rogue" - FFK / FG Deploys And Redeploys Permanent Secretaries

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.