Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,540 members, 7,812,680 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 05:28 PM

Nigerian Universities With The Highest Amount Of Research(scopus) Output - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nigerian Universities With The Highest Amount Of Research(scopus) Output (31443 Views)

Top 20 Universities With Most Employed Graduates In Nigeria (list) / Nigeria Universities With The Most Employable Graduates- STUTERN 2018 Edition / Universities With Fast Postgraduate M. Sc Programmes In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Universities With The Highest Amount Of Research(scopus) Output by HigherEd: 7:19pm On Mar 30, 2019
RESEARCH TRENDS IN NIGERIAN UNIVERSITIES: ANALYSIS OF NUMBER OF PUBLICATIONS IN SCOPUS (2008-2017)

If you are in doubt of the trend of academic research in Nigerian universities, then you need to read our newly published paper to see "WHO IS WHO" in this sphere.

While some are progressive, some maintained status-quo, and others declining. So, locate your university and see where you stand.

In this paper, research trends in Nigerian Universities were analyzed based on the number of scholarly articles published in ten years (2008-2017). Out of the 165 NUC accredited universities in Nigeria, only 67 universities have research visibility in Scopus database. This shows that only 40.61% of the NUC accredited universities in Nigeria have research visibility in Scopus. The remaining 98 universities do not have any research output which bears their institutional affiliations indexed in Scopus within the selected 10-year range. The list of the 67 Scopus-indexed Nigerian universities comprises of 32 federal, 26 state, and 9 private universities. Whereas, there are 43 federal, 47 state, and 75 private universities in Nigeria as at the time of this study.

This implies that the research outputs of
11 federal universities (25.58%),
21 state universities (44.68%) and those of
66 private universities (88%) are not visible in Scopus.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/331674100_RESEARCH_TRENDS_IN_NIGERIAN_UNIVERSITIES_ANALYSIS_OF_NUMBER_OF_PUBLICATIONS_IN_SCOPUS_2008-2017

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Universities With The Highest Amount Of Research(scopus) Output by HigherEd: 7:26pm On Mar 30, 2019
STATE UNIVERSITY CATEGORY

Lautech despite it's age long calendar crisis and unstable academic programme leads state university in academic research publications on SCOPUS(SCOPUS is a well recognised academic index for research findings)
If you've ever wondered why LAUTECH despite Strike emerges best state university on webometrics here is the reason.
Lautech is closely followed by Delsu.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Universities With The Highest Amount Of Research(scopus) Output by HigherEd: 7:32pm On Mar 30, 2019
FEDERAL UNIVERSITY CATEGORY

The University Of Ibadan towers above all else. The gap is ridiculous and I can tell you authoritatively that UI continues to widen the gap. As at 2018 UI has exceeded 1000 research publications - this is expected to surge UI's international rankings in subsequent years. The remarkable thing is UI is not the most funded Federal University, it sits second place to ABU in government funding. Yet this premier university continues to prove itself as the first and the best..

Cc Codetemplar

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Universities With The Highest Amount Of Research(scopus) Output by LordIsaac(m): 7:36pm On Mar 30, 2019
Where has all the research so far taken us? This is a country where a so called professor could not conduct a free and fair election... We stand for nothing!

32 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Universities With The Highest Amount Of Research(scopus) Output by HigherEd: 7:36pm On Mar 30, 2019
PRIVATE UNIVERSITY CATEGORY

Covenant has literarily never had a better yesterday as evidenced by its continuous rise through the years. Though founded in 2002 the university rose quickly to dominate the academic space leaving other private universities in the dust. As at 2018 Covenant research output on Scopus stands at 1100!

15 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigerian Universities With The Highest Amount Of Research(scopus) Output by CodeTemplar: 7:41pm On Mar 30, 2019
This is why I never support folks who want Oyedepo to lower the standard and corresponding fee to federal university level. Even Harvard charges high and combines it with scholarship for the brilliant.
Thumbs up to the CU academic staff on this one. They are working indeed.

52 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Nigerian Universities With The Highest Amount Of Research(scopus) Output by HigherEd: 7:50pm On Mar 30, 2019
LordIsaac:
Where has all the research so far taken us? This is a country where a so called professor could not conduct a free and fair election... We stand for nothing!
Important point!
But applied research which you are referring to cost billions of naira. The US govt spends about N800 Billion on John Hopkins University's medical research alone. JHU anchors much of America's Medical research aspirations.

The US spends about 400 billion on Georgia Inst Of Tech.GIT anchors America's defense technology aspirations. And it goes on and on like that.

Summary of it all is that if you want cutting edge research the govt has to spend. But considering that the likes of Harvard, Stanford all use Scopus then its a good indication of where the strengths of our universities lie.

Let me give you a further breakdown, much of UI's research output is in medical sciences. UI does poorly in engineering on the other hand. A serious govt can make UI a flagship university for Nigeria's medical research. With increase in funding they would definitely be able to get the applied aspect of their research right and produce drugs that can be of benefit to the Nigerian people. With the poor level of research funding in Nigeria all you can do is analyse a problem and recommend solutions. The funding to create is just not there.

91 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Nigerian Universities With The Highest Amount Of Research(scopus) Output by CodeTemplar: 7:53pm On Mar 30, 2019
LordIsaac:
What do you expect from a society where schools trying to enforce rules are tagged as glorified secondary schools and waywardness in another schools is taken as a sign of maturity and labour market advantage?

The professor couldn't conduct a free and fair election because all the academics under govt payroll who foresaw the imminent rigging exercise couldn't afford to risk their source of livelihood.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Universities With The Highest Amount Of Research(scopus) Output by DrLikita12(f): 10:10pm On Mar 30, 2019
What is the justification for ABU receiving more funding than UI and UNN? Both universities seem to be doing better when you consider their THE/QS rankings.
Imo, if the FG gives some of these unis more autonomy they will perform even better but certain things have to be addressed first.

6 Likes

Re: Nigerian Universities With The Highest Amount Of Research(scopus) Output by ictjobber: 10:47pm On Mar 30, 2019
Copy and paste publications.....

Meanwhile take a look at the below, see where your school ranks:

Top 20 Nigerian Universities with the Most Employable Graduates

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Universities With The Highest Amount Of Research(scopus) Output by IjebuWarrior: 10:47pm On Mar 30, 2019
cool
Re: Nigerian Universities With The Highest Amount Of Research(scopus) Output by BornnAgainChild(f): 10:49pm On Mar 30, 2019
Laspotech nko undecided
Re: Nigerian Universities With The Highest Amount Of Research(scopus) Output by Sixtytwo62: 10:50pm On Mar 30, 2019
tongue
Re: Nigerian Universities With The Highest Amount Of Research(scopus) Output by Bobby4090: 10:51pm On Mar 30, 2019
R
Re: Nigerian Universities With The Highest Amount Of Research(scopus) Output by freemanbubble: 10:51pm On Mar 30, 2019
Okay
Re: Nigerian Universities With The Highest Amount Of Research(scopus) Output by Nltaliban(m): 11:06pm On Mar 30, 2019
university of Ibadan!!

Cu though, I'm afraid with the poor funding of federal universities, cu will overtake UI soon

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Universities With The Highest Amount Of Research(scopus) Output by MRLANNISTER(m): 11:07pm On Mar 30, 2019
LordIsaac:

so because of that we should not do any?

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Universities With The Highest Amount Of Research(scopus) Output by LazyGold(m): 11:08pm On Mar 30, 2019
All the best institution are in South West, Good to know that South West is progressing in Education

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Universities With The Highest Amount Of Research(scopus) Output by MEDICPATH(m): 11:08pm On Mar 30, 2019
Just as expected...these are the best universities in the country
Re: Nigerian Universities With The Highest Amount Of Research(scopus) Output by lereinter(m): 11:10pm On Mar 30, 2019
buhari with no presentable certificate is president

while a professor is his deputy

what's Nigeria minimum qualification to become president

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian Universities With The Highest Amount Of Research(scopus) Output by lebienconnu: 11:14pm On Mar 30, 2019
LordIsaac:

You guys seize any opportunity to wail.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Universities With The Highest Amount Of Research(scopus) Output by seguno2: 11:17pm On Mar 30, 2019
CodeTemplar:
This is why I never support folks who want Oyedepo to lower the standard and corresponding fee to federal university level. Even Harvard charges high and combines it with scholarship for the brilliant.
Thumbs up to the CU academics on this one. They are working indeed.

How many students are on scholarship in Oyedepo’s university?
How much is their scholarship
Since you dragged Harvard into the matter, how does Oyedepo’s university compare on scholarship with Harvard?

7 Likes

Re: Nigerian Universities With The Highest Amount Of Research(scopus) Output by seguno2: 11:19pm On Mar 30, 2019
LazyGold:
All the best institution are in South West, Good to know that South West is progressing in Education

Going by the results of WAEC, the south east is taking over with Anambra leading the charge.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Universities With The Highest Amount Of Research(scopus) Output by LazyGold(m): 11:24pm On Mar 30, 2019
seguno2:

Going by the results of WAEC, the south east is taking over with Anambra leading the charge.

I am talking about higher Institutions here my friend and the last I checked the student that emerged as the best student in WAEC through out West Africa is from South West and a Yoruba guy. The south west led in the past and we are still going to lead again

14 Likes

Re: Nigerian Universities With The Highest Amount Of Research(scopus) Output by Nobody: 11:25pm On Mar 30, 2019
CodeTemplar:
Thumbs up to the CU academics on this one. They are working indeed.
CU is the best university in Nigeria currently..

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Universities With The Highest Amount Of Research(scopus) Output by Nobody: 11:26pm On Mar 30, 2019
lereinter:

buhari with no presentable certificate is president

while a professor is his deputy

what's Nigeria minimum qualification to become president

O' level
Re: Nigerian Universities With The Highest Amount Of Research(scopus) Output by DabuIIIT: 11:30pm On Mar 30, 2019
LazyGold:

I am talking about higher Institutions here my friend and the last I checked the student that emerged as the best student in WAEC through out West Africa is from South West and a Yoruba guy. The south west led in the past and we are still going to lead again

Receive sense
grin

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Universities With The Highest Amount Of Research(scopus) Output by LazyGold(m): 11:32pm On Mar 30, 2019
DabuIIIT:

Receive sense
grin

I am speaking facts

6 Likes

Re: Nigerian Universities With The Highest Amount Of Research(scopus) Output by DabuIIIT: 11:34pm On Mar 30, 2019
LazyGold:

I am speaking facts

Garri school champion,what do you know?
grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Universities With The Highest Amount Of Research(scopus) Output by LazyGold(m): 11:38pm On Mar 30, 2019
DabuIIIT:

Garri school champion,what do you know?
grin

You are just a troll, go get a life.

I know a lot of things that you don't know and you may never know.

8 Likes

Re: Nigerian Universities With The Highest Amount Of Research(scopus) Output by DabuIIIT: 11:46pm On Mar 30, 2019
LazyGold:

You are just a troll, go get a life.

I know a lot of things that you don't know and you may never know.

I don't know how rant from the anuxs

grin
Re: Nigerian Universities With The Highest Amount Of Research(scopus) Output by neutrotoba(m): 12:19am On Mar 31, 2019
Nltaliban:
university of Ibadan!!

Cu though, I'm afraid with the poor funding of federal universities, cu will overtake UI soon

CU has overtaken UI

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Lady With 3rd Class In Nigerian University Bags 100% Masters In UK University / Covenant University: Accounting Student Graduates With 4.99 GPA / Attahiru Jega: Ngige Has Turned The ASUU Strike To A Personal Quarrel

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.