Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,484 members, 7,830,447 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 10:24 PM

Nigerian Universities With The Highest Amount Of Research(scopus) Output - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nigerian Universities With The Highest Amount Of Research(scopus) Output (31510 Views)

Top 20 Universities With Most Employed Graduates In Nigeria (list) / Nigeria Universities With The Most Employable Graduates- STUTERN 2018 Edition / Universities With Fast Postgraduate M. Sc Programmes In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Universities With The Highest Amount Of Research(scopus) Output by Chukwuka16: 9:48am On Mar 31, 2019
Let's start having very high benchmarks especially with regards to the quality of research papers we output.

When we push out news like this, the meaning is that we are celebrating mediocrity. We are not in a competition. Let's settle down and work hard. Others would be the ones to recognise us.

I'm an academic and news like this unsettle me. HEI's in the UK are currently preparing for REF and the requirements are top notch. Quality papers with profound impacts. Anyone with excellent papers (3* and above or Q1) would be poached without any moments hesitation. If we are now celebrating scopus then we have a long way to go.
Re: Nigerian Universities With The Highest Amount Of Research(scopus) Output by Chukwuka16: 9:51am On Mar 31, 2019
Again,

I always laugh when I see posts like these.

Can the OP kindly browse Researchgate and Google Scholar just to highlight the RG score and h/I-index of leading scholars across UI, UNN and CU/Lautech. I believe the difference will be clearly seen.

The quality of outputs from the federal universities and some state universities is miles ahead of private universities.

Matter of fact, academics from these mainline universities output excellent papers in very top rated journals from Lancet (those UCH guys) to Science to Nature (collaborations) and the normal elsevier versions (typical IF around 4-10) without much fuss.

It's great to celebrate small successes but let's not over hype something that isn't really quality. Scopus in 2019? Let's do better.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Universities With The Highest Amount Of Research(scopus) Output by Nobody: 9:51am On Mar 31, 2019
LordIsaac:
Where has all the research so far taken us? This is a country where a so called professor could not conduct a free and fair election... We stand for nothing!
Inasmuch as I blame that Prof for poor performance at the just concluded elections, there is no way elections would have been better. The desperation by many politicians had made this menace to continue
Re: Nigerian Universities With The Highest Amount Of Research(scopus) Output by Nobody: 9:53am On Mar 31, 2019
HigherEd:

Important point!
But applied research which you are referring to cost billions of naira. The US govt spends about N800 Billion on John Hopkins University's medical research alone. JHU anchors much of America's Medical research aspirations.

The US spends about 400 billion on Georgia Inst Of Tech.GIT anchors America's defense technology aspirations. And it goes on and on like that.

Summary of it all is that if you want cutting edge research the govt has to spend. But considering that the likes of Harvard, Stanford all use Scopus then its a good indication of where the strengths of our universities lie.

Let me give you a further breakdown, much of UI's research output is in medical sciences. UI does poorly in engineering on the other hand. A serious govt can make UI a flagship university for Nigeria's medical research. With increase in funding they would definitely be able to get the applied aspect of their research right and produce drugs that can be of benefit to the Nigerian people. With the poor level of research funding in Nigeria all you can do is analyse a problem and recommend solutions. The funding to create is just not there.

Brilliant
Re: Nigerian Universities With The Highest Amount Of Research(scopus) Output by Nobody: 10:01am On Mar 31, 2019
lereinter:

buhari with no presentable certificate is president

while a professor is his deputy

what's Nigeria minimum qualification to become president

SSCE
Re: Nigerian Universities With The Highest Amount Of Research(scopus) Output by Nobody: 10:09am On Mar 31, 2019
kolaaderin:
with miracle centres. Their Universities are not measuring up because the intake students are mostly miracle centre , products.
How did you know?
Re: Nigerian Universities With The Highest Amount Of Research(scopus) Output by DabuIIIT: 10:28am On Mar 31, 2019
KingOfAllIgbos:

LazyGold you crushed this fool and seguno2

grin

Re: Nigerian Universities With The Highest Amount Of Research(scopus) Output by DonroxyII: 10:34am On Mar 31, 2019
calberian:
Even with the Op’s lies/semi-illiteracy, whichever the case is, covenant cannot even come within a mile of UI’s reach.

Covenant was founded in 2002 and by 2017, had recorded about 550 pubs (according to the Op).

That’s an average of about 36 pubs annually.

However, the Op posits that the output from covenant hit 1100 by 2018 making the output for the period 2017-2018 at least equal to the cumulative output of the school from its inception in 2002 to 2017!

I probably don’t have a good understanding about these things but these figures look heavily skewed.

As an Academic (M.sc from Unilorin 2013-2016) , I have conducted quite number of academic research myself and I can tell you .. Convenant University has the best research paper I have ever seen online ...... Even their published B.sc research project is a top notch that contains all necessary ingredients of research and beyond and if you see their PhD thesis ... wow .... wow ... wow .....
and so is there academic papers!!

I have not seen it all @my level, but the with what I have seen , CU is my best in terms of Academic Research in Nigeria.

Immediately I saw this thread, all my mind was set at Convenant as Number 1 based on What I have seen myself .....

I am a Unilorite and even a Muslim with no attachment to Convenant University but that school is really serious about Academic/Research and if Nigeria is gonna be great, Most schools should demand same standard from their resources as Convenant !!!

I really wish they should improve their TECH and be the MIT of Nigeria .... dem dey try abeg !!

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigerian Universities With The Highest Amount Of Research(scopus) Output by DrLikita12(f): 11:54am On Mar 31, 2019
Frenchkiss564:

Well, I'm sure you know the answer it is nepotism. ABU despite being the most funded university in Nigeria is the worst performing among the first generation universities. It is the only first generation university without presence on the Times Higher Education Ranking. It is really a pity.

It's quite unfortunate. This attitude will prevent us from making significant progress because it breeds resentment. It creates an environment where some people have no incentive to work hard while others have to work twice as hard.
Re: Nigerian Universities With The Highest Amount Of Research(scopus) Output by HigherEd: 1:20pm On Mar 31, 2019
Chukwuka16:
Again,

I always laugh when I see posts like these.

Can the OP kindly browse Researchgate and Google Scholar just to highlight the RG score and h/I-index of leading scholars across UI, UNN and CU/Lautech. I believe the difference will be clearly seen.

The quality of outputs from the federal universities and some state universities is miles ahead of private universities.

Matter of fact, academics from these mainline universities output excellent papers in very top rated journals from Lancet (those UCH guys) to Science to Nature (collaborations) and the normal elsevier versions (typical IF around 4-10) without much fuss.

It's great to celebrate small successes but let's not over hype something that isn't really quality. Scopus in 2019? Let's do better.
Now you are no longer talking like an academic. Researchgate is a compilation of research work done since a university was founded. The oldest private university in Nigeria was founded in 1999. The oldest public was founded in 1945. How would you actually compare the two systems and think public universities wouldn't rank higher?

Regarding academics it is still a matter of normalization. 32 departments in CU producing 3 high rated academics is equal to 100 departments in UI producing 10 high rated academics. What about the fact that certain fields are more funded and researched than the other? UI with medical offerings would definitely produce more cited research papers.

Only an expert consultant can give you a full proof assessment of universities. And Times higher is one of such organizations. And from its verdict CU is more research relevant than UI and UNN.
Re: Nigerian Universities With The Highest Amount Of Research(scopus) Output by alert01(m): 1:32pm On Mar 31, 2019
HigherEd:

Now you are no longer talking like an academic. Researchgate is a compilation of research work done since a university was founded. The oldest private university in Nigeria was founded in 1999. The oldest public was founded in 1945. How would you actually compare the two systems and think public universities wouldn't rank higher?

Regarding academics it is still a matter of normalization. 32 departments in CU producing 3 high rated academics is equal to 100 departments in UI producing 10 high rated academics.

1945. It became a full fledged University in 1948. University of Ibadan. Are you a lecturer? You seem vast about academic stuffs
Re: Nigerian Universities With The Highest Amount Of Research(scopus) Output by papyskinsy: 1:34pm On Mar 31, 2019
if OAU is not on dat list consider that list fake cause we do pure and applied RESEARCH in OBA AWON UNIVERSITY Gbam.. those doing MSc or PhD can relate
Re: Nigerian Universities With The Highest Amount Of Research(scopus) Output by Nobody: 2:19pm On Mar 31, 2019
DonroxyII:
As an Academic (M.sc from Unilorin 2013-2016) , I have conducted quite number of academic research myself and I can tell you .. Convenant University has the best research paper I have ever seen online ...... Even their published B.sc research project is a top notch that contains all necessary ingredients of research and beyond and if you see their PhD thesis ... wow .... wow ... wow .....
and so is there academic papers!!

I have not seen it all @my level, but the with what I have seen , CU is my best in terms of Academic Research in Nigeria.

Immediately I saw this thread, all my mind was set at Convenant as Number 1 based on What I have seen myself .....

I am a Unilorite and even a Muslim with no attachment to Convenant University but that school is really serious about Academic/Research and if Nigeria is gonna be great, Most schools should demand same standard from their resources as Convenant !!!

I really wish they should improve their TECH and be the MIT of Nigeria .... dem dey try abeg !!
You are correct

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Universities With The Highest Amount Of Research(scopus) Output by Nobody: 2:23pm On Mar 31, 2019
papyskinsy:
if OAU is not on dat list consider that list fake cause we do pure and applied RESEARCH in OBA AWON UNIVERSITY Gbam.. those doing MSc or PhD can relate
After UI comes OAU. The picture below explains further

Re: Nigerian Universities With The Highest Amount Of Research(scopus) Output by spectroscopic: 2:25pm On Mar 31, 2019
90% of research coming from Nigerian universities, public or private, has near-zero % quality. I know because I am an author, a reviewer, a journal editor and a research evaluator.

I read and review tons of research manuscripts in the areas of Bioscience and Chemistry annually for international journals (Elsevier, ACS, ASM, Springer, etc) and those from Nigeria are always junk. The few good research from Nigeria are often those conducted in partnership with universities in South Africa (where a Nigerian student is pursuing his/her PhD; or where the Nigerian researcher has former professors).

If Nigerian universities cannot publish good quality basic research in Biology, Chemistry and Physics, how on earth can they publish good quality applied research in Engineering, medicine and information technology?

Can anyone post here one research conducted 100% in Nigeria, without foreign input, and let's see the journal it was published in.
Re: Nigerian Universities With The Highest Amount Of Research(scopus) Output by spectroscopic: 2:26pm On Mar 31, 2019
asuustrike1:

But that is not what the graph says. It says UI then UNN.

There is an OAU peak in 2011, and since then UNN Has been in second place. Look at the graph again, this time more carefully.

But for all Naija unis, it's all quantity with little quality.
Re: Nigerian Universities With The Highest Amount Of Research(scopus) Output by CodeTemplar: 2:32pm On Mar 31, 2019
9jaRealist:

What “rules” are they trying to enforce? How people should dress or wear their hairstyles?
Nonsense Nigerians chasing shadows, when even at Harvard or Cal-Tech, you will see profs with Rasta hair. SMDH
Hmmm...so they should allow a student with rasta to attend a Christian principled school just because Harvard have relaxed theirs.
Re: Nigerian Universities With The Highest Amount Of Research(scopus) Output by spectroscopic: 2:44pm On Mar 31, 2019
HigherEd:

Everything the researchers wrote about are readily accessible on Scopus itself. Scopus and web of science are the most cited indexing platforms.

Of course they are. But I am telling you that not every research is listed on Scopus - a few of mine are not there, for example. That a particular paper is not indexed on Scopus does not mean that the paper does not exist. They should have used more than one source, for better coverage. That said, have you asked yourself why the authors published this paper in a non-descript civil engineering journal based in Iraq, with zero impact factor? The answer is that it will not pass in reputable journals like those in the stable of Elsevier or Springer.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Universities With The Highest Amount Of Research(scopus) Output by spectroscopic: 3:26pm On Mar 31, 2019
HigherEd:

Regarding academics it is still a matter of normalization. 32 departments in CU producing 3 high rated academics is equal to 100 departments in UI producing 10 high rated academics. What about the fact that certain fields are more funded and researched than the other? UI with medical offerings would definitely produce more cited research papers.

Only an expert consultant can give you a full proof assessment of universities. And Times higher is one of such organizations. And from its verdict CU is more research relevant than UI and UNN.

The bolded is false. Researchgate does not have any information about the number of publications from a university. What it has is information about individual author publications record, regardless of which university the papers were published from. For instance, if you were with UNN and published 5 articles, and then transferred to UI and published another 5 articles, Researchgate does not indicate which are from UI or UNN. It shows that you have published 10 papers and it gives you an RG score based on the quality, citation, reads, and other indices of your papers and your overall research profile.
Re: Nigerian Universities With The Highest Amount Of Research(scopus) Output by IFEOLUWAKRIZ: 5:36pm On Mar 31, 2019
LazyGold:

But UI lead UNN and UI is in the South West, that's my point

Excuse sir? You are using the region these universities are located at as parameter to judge which tribe is leading in education? It must be important to note that most of these unis have good number of lecturers and students from all tribes? I'm not an armchair journalist. I school at UI and we all know how this mentioned factor is contributing to UI's academic progress. Let's for once drop tribalistic inclined views and praise our achievements as one Nigeria we claim to be.
Re: Nigerian Universities With The Highest Amount Of Research(scopus) Output by LazyGold(m): 5:49pm On Mar 31, 2019
IFEOLUWAKRIZ:

Excuse sir? You are using the region these universities are located at as parameter to judge which tribe is leading in education? It must be important to note that most of these unis have good number of lecturers and students from all tribes? I'm not an armchair journalist. I school at UI and we all know how this mentioned factor is contributing to UI's academic progress. Let's for once drop tribalistic inclined views and praise our achievements as one Nigeria we claim to be.

This is not about tribalism, best institutions in South West is just a mere prove that South West are not lagging behind in Education
Re: Nigerian Universities With The Highest Amount Of Research(scopus) Output by IFEOLUWAKRIZ: 7:15pm On Mar 31, 2019
LazyGold:

This is not about tribalism, best institutions in South West is just a mere prove that South West are not lagging behind in Education

It does not reflect reality. I think we should use the number of students gaining admission annually to determine that.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Universities With The Highest Amount Of Research(scopus) Output by papyskinsy: 8:06pm On Mar 31, 2019
asuustrike1:

UI doesn't do shii.. we er ahead in research compared to UI students dere are jus collecting free msc and phd
Re: Nigerian Universities With The Highest Amount Of Research(scopus) Output by Chukwuka16: 9:16pm On Mar 31, 2019
HigherEd:

Like someone down the trail said, try and research about researchgate to know how it operates. It is an indication of individual researchers majorly and then universities. So for instance, I can access to see the research impact of CK Ayo or Sunday Oyedepo or Olayinka something based on the quality of their publications. Again, I can see the cumulative impact of research done by researchers in CU or UI. In terms of impact/quality, scopus doesnt give any indication. Matter of fact, conference proceedings like IEEE NIGERCON are scopus indexed but ARE NOT ISI INDEXED.

When you talk about publication output from CU based on scopus you make me laugh. You talk about recruiting international scholars and I laugh.

Bro, slow your roll. I'm no newbie in academic. Matter of fact I pull my own weight despite having a PhD less than a year ago. What is assessed isn't number of publications but (1) quality/rigour of analysis/discussion and (2) engagement of publication gauged through citations. If you want to hype the so called publication that generated this result you posted, tell us the IF of the journal and its scimago position among its peers (let's even see if its listed).

CU is gathering momentum which I appreciate. However, the road ahead is one that is quite arduous and is not solved with money alone. When a system really wants to change, it will do away with mediocrity and embrace real excellence. When you guys start embracing excellence, we in academia would know. It's not noise, its results and for now, you guys don't have it. Just so you know, when I was turning in my PhD thesis, I had 10 Q1 journal papers already published/accepted and all done within the PhD period (17 months). Minimum IF was 2.68, max IF was 9.82 and average IF was around 4.5-5.0.

Good evening.
Re: Nigerian Universities With The Highest Amount Of Research(scopus) Output by Chukwuka16: 9:22pm On Mar 31, 2019
spectroscopic:

The bolded is false. Researchgate does not have any information about the number of publications from a university. What it has is information about individual author publications record, regardless of which university the papers were published from. For instance, if you were with UNN and published 5 articles, and then transferred to UI and published another 5 articles, Researchgate does not indicate which are from UI or UNN. It shows that you have published 10 papers and it gives you an RG score based on the quality, citation, reads, and other indices of your papers and your overall research profile.

Sir, did you know that the boldened is false. See
https://www.researchgate.net/institution/University_of_Ibadan
And
https://www.researchgate.net/institution/Covenant_University_Ota_Ogun_State_Nigeria
The above shows that UI has a research impact that is about 200% that of CU based on quality!
Re: Nigerian Universities With The Highest Amount Of Research(scopus) Output by Chukwuka16: 9:44pm On Mar 31, 2019
Let me just reiterate here that I'm quite disappointed with the comments bandied here by folks. I am disappointed. The OP makes a post and folks can't intelligently take him on and with facts and that's disappointing.

Any one can write anything and get it published. That's academia for you and in Nigeria where pay to publish and predatory publications and plagiarism run wild, it isn't difficult having such a publication in public space.

The OP would like us to believe that researchers in CU and Lautech are doing great. I agree to an extent. However, we must not be railroaded into that wrong perspective of ever equating quantity with quality which is what you find common among researchers in these institutions.

How can someone be a professor in CU with an RG score of say 11 or 14 or even 10 and have over 60 papers. Where are these papers being published? Again, I read and sincerely in my field only 2 or 3 researchers from CU stand out - Sunday Oyedepo, Olayinka Ohuakin and Adaramola. The others are in UI (3 of them), Futminna, UNN and one in Unilag. Co-oncidentally, I have collaborated with the folks in UI, Daniel in Unilag and Lanre in Futminna. It's a small world and we know ourselves and the truth.

Let's not get over excited or bamboozled. When information is made available, let's search the internet and understand international best practices to gauge if the information we are being fed or made to believe measures up. That CU is really trying isn't in doubt, however, the road to excellence is still far away.
Re: Nigerian Universities With The Highest Amount Of Research(scopus) Output by spectroscopic: 12:32am On Apr 01, 2019
Chukwuka16:

And
https://www.researchgate.net/institution/Covenant_University_Ota_Ogun_State_Nigeria
The above shows that UI has a research impact that is about 200% that of CU based on quality!

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. It must either be a new development, or I completely missed it. I have been on ResearchGate (RG) for more than 9 years now and never noticed that until now. Thanks, Man. We learn everyday.

Anyways, the links for UI and CU (the supposed best universities) show clearly that the quality of research from Nigeria is near-zero. Divide the total RG score by the number of RG members from each school. For UI you get an average RG score of 3.3 (12,896.98/3879); for CU you get an average RG score of 1.5 (4730/3150).

That of UNN is also a paltry score of 2.1 (14,114/6751). See link https://www.researchgate.net/institution/University_of_Nigeria2

However, an institutional RG score of 14111 for UNN and of 12896 for UI indicates that UNN as an institution has more quality research than UI. But a few specific UI professors are doing more quality research than specific professors from UNN. In other words, the good quality research at UNN is diluted by the number of too many poor quality research.

At Ife (OAU), the research quality is very poor (compared to UI and UNN) at an institutional RG score of only of 8610. https://www.researchgate.net/institution/Obafemi_Awolowo_University. But then, the fewer number of researchers there at 1818 increases their average RG score to 4.74. This also means that with that few number of researchers compared to UI and UNN, many professors at OAU are simply not doing any research.

Now, compare UI, CU, UNN and OAU average scores with my own individual RG score of 32.43 (I covered my photo and name, and deleted part of my university identity for privacy) beginning from 2008 when I started independent science publishing. If I was an institution I am far better than them. Lol. Of course, a few researchers in these schools, like the ones you mentioned (I looked then up), have better RG scores than the average for their schools. But overall, it shows the extent of poor quality research from Nigeria. Now I understand why the country is not progressing.

Bottom line: when your president is a sub-school cert holder, how can you do any meaningful research that will help develop your country? shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

Re: Nigerian Universities With The Highest Amount Of Research(scopus) Output by 9jaRealist: 3:28am On Apr 01, 2019
CodeTemplar:
Hmmm...so they should allow a student with rasta to attend a Christian principled school just because Harvard have relaxed theirs.

If you want a Christian school, you will see students at Notre Dame with dreadlocks as well (a natural state of hair btw). A university is NOT a seminary or convent, it is supposed to be a place of academic and intellectual freedom, inquiry and training - and a component of such freedom is being free to be DIFFERENT! Furthermore, universities are supposed to prepare one to be functional in a real world of diversity and while rules are important in the real world ephemeral rules bordering largely in individual tastes amounts to nonsensical shadow-chasing. SMH
Re: Nigerian Universities With The Highest Amount Of Research(scopus) Output by Chukwuka16: 3:54am On Apr 01, 2019
spectroscopic:

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. It must either be a new development, or I completely missed it. I have been on ResearchGate (RG) for more than 9 years now and never noticed that until now. Thanks, Man. We learn everyday.

Anyways, the links for UI and CU (the supposed best universities) show clearly that the quality of research from Nigeria is near-zero. Divide the total RG score by the number of RG members from each school. For UI you get an average RG score of 3.3 (12,896.98/3879); for CU you get an average RG score of 1.5 (4730/3150).

That of UNN is also a paltry score of 2.1 (14,114/6751). See link https://www.researchgate.net/institution/University_of_Nigeria2

However, an institutional RG score of 14111 for UNN and of 12896 for UI indicates that UNN as an institution has more quality research than UI. But a few specific UI professors are doing more quality research than specific professors from UNN. In other words, the good quality research at UNN is diluted by the number of too many poor quality research.

At Ife (OAU), the research quality is very poor (compared to UI and UNN) at an institutional RG score of only of 8610. https://www.researchgate.net/institution/Obafemi_Awolowo_University. But then, the fewer number of researchers there at 1818 increases their average RG score to 4.74. This also means that with that few number of researchers compared to UI and UNN, many professors at OAU are simply not doing any research.

Now, compare UI, CU, UNN and OAU average scores with my own individual RG score of 32.43 (I covered my photo and name, and deleted part of my university identity for privacy) beginning from 2008 when I started independent science publishing. If I was an institution I am far better than them. Lol. Of course, a few researchers in these schools, like the ones you mentioned (I looked then up), have better RG scores than the average for their schools. But overall, it shows the extent of poor quality research from Nigeria. Now I understand why the country is not progressing.

Bottom line: when your president is a sub-school cert holder, how can you do any meaningful research that will help develop your country? shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

Ah, let me start by doffing my hat to your RG score. Even my late advisor's RG score is about 5pts less yours. As for mine it is still in the 18 pts league.

I appreciate your approach but permit me to call it an 'unfair' one. Reasons being that:

1. The number of academics in many Nigerian universities suffers from rapid turnover especially in migration due to incentives. In the US and Europe, it is more common to have academics spend more time committed to their starting universities. At least they get tenure and rise to AP level before jetting off to Asia and the middle east and most recently Australia to earn big bucks. Additionally, it looks 'sexy' having such affiliations on your paper. Academics in such known universities would easily get co-authorship requests without much hassles since they would definitely be editors in many top rated journals thus giving them some leeway in getting their papers published.

2. We must agree that the US and EU dominate the top journals since they own them, and find it easier pushing their works through. For instance, I'm just discovering that many special issues led by scholars here in Europe are simply avenues for them and their cronies to increase their publication counts. In fact, the number of SI's I've seen has increased recently as REF draws near. In one of them I recently stumbled across, the guest editor was bold enough to admit that despite the SI addressing Africa, there was no African among the guest editors neither was there any contribution from an African author. You can imagine the nonsense going on.

3. Researchers in Nigeria are not progressive in thinking. For instance, many journals especially Elsevier, Taylor and Francis and the bad guys like Nature Energy and Science would not publish a strictly based Techno-Economic based paper that analysis some variants of energy (access, mobility or sufficiency) without socio-economic considerations. However, researchers from SSA are yet to start aligning their research along those tracks - considering new concepts like energy justice, energy bricolage and energy mobility including socio-institutional processes and their impact. The end results is countless rejections by the bad guys.

4. External collaborations rarely exist between scholars in Nigeria and abroad. I find it funny when researchers in Nigeria during such collaborations expend more energy in wanting to travel than in actually acquiring and sharing knowledge. They thus stall their research and make it difficult for the partnering scholars to assist them intellectually. One of my top collaborators and I have done 5 papers together in 3 top journals in the field of energy especially for SSA and one for the global north and yet I have not met her. We started off together via researchgate when I was in South Africa. She is the expert on energy justice while I'm the expert on core energy systems modelling and analysis and the relationship has been an enjoyable one.

5. Publications in academia unfortunately has now almost become a cult at least in my field and within Europe. For instance J Yan (editor on chief for Applied Energy) rejected a paper of mine last year on the basis that it did not utilise papers from APEN and was not within the scope of APEN. Well between then and now, he has been accepting papers on that same topic - energy justice from known names. Matter of fact, APEN is now off my list of journals I'd publish for now. I don't think Nigerian authors can grapple with the politics now emerging in the journal publication sector. China and Saudi are getting around this by launching their own journals and having them hosted by Elsevier to give it credibility. Even in South Africa, they have a couple of journals launched and maintained to allow their local researchers push their ideas through to a global platform.

6. When you have future potential leaders like the OP celebrating mediocrity like scopus based publications, that gives you an insight as to what you should expect when someone like the OP becomes say a VC.

Sir, with all due respect, your RG score means that you are probably more ranked than 99.99% of researchers (including their VC) in CU. Well for UI you would have stiff competition from the UCH guys. Even Adewole (current health minister) has an impressive outing on RG. Recently the OP posted a list of some 'international scholars' hired by CU. A simple check on RG and Google Scholar presented me with shocking results. These are folks with basic publications or even no profile at all in the research space. Their only resume is that they are in 'the abroad'. I'm not also surprised that the recruitment is like a recycling of some sorts since some of the recruits have links with researchers within CU. With regards to salary, I laughed because profs from Europe and North America are being poached from the middle east and Asia and Australia with salaries as high as $25k-$35k monthly. How will CU cope with that. Until we have academics who can distinguish merit from chaff, research in Nigeria would go no where.

I'm guessing you are in the medical field or Astrophysics field. Those are the two common fields that can produce such fantastic RG score. You must also have a very good collaboration network in terms of research and be quite prolific. I'm glad to make your acquaintance.
Re: Nigerian Universities With The Highest Amount Of Research(scopus) Output by CodeTemplar: 6:07am On Apr 01, 2019
9jaRealist:

If you want a Christian school, you will see students at Notre Dame with dreadlocks as well (a natural state of hair btw). A university is NOT a seminary or convent, it is supposed to be a place of academic and intellectual freedom, inquiry and training - and a component of such freedom is being free to be DIFFERENT! Furthermore, universities are supposed to prepare one to be functional in a real world of diversity and while rules are important in the real world ephemeral rules bordering largely in individual tastes amounts to nonsensical shadow-chasing. SMH
Stay there and be talking pure rubbish about how rasta hairstyle is part of one useless creativity. If you want to do rasta, there are many useless and open campuses that allow those and even allow gangsterism.
The private schools have their visions and it will be stupid for a student to gain admission and start demanding that the school change rules so their peers can regard them as big boys.
Re: Nigerian Universities With The Highest Amount Of Research(scopus) Output by 9jaRealist: 6:21am On Apr 01, 2019
CodeTemplar:
Stay there and be talking pure rubbish about how rasta hairstyle is part of one useless creativity. If you want to do rasta, there are many useless and open campuses that allow those and even allow gangsterism.
The private schools have their visions and it will be stupid for a student to gain admission and start demanding that the school change rules so their peers can regard them as big boys.

Notre Dame is a private Catholic university, so your driveling is ill-informed...

Again, many Nigerians keep chasing shadows in derogation of substance. Even the founder of your religion was reportedly keeping the company of a well-known prostitute, perhaps because he was not mistaking the trees for the forest. Funny how so many ignorant Nigerians turn their noses up at the West and their supposed “uselessness” - but will then go to prayer meetings and fasting to get a Western visa. SMH
Re: Nigerian Universities With The Highest Amount Of Research(scopus) Output by CodeTemplar: 6:29am On Apr 01, 2019
Chukwuka16:

And
UI has been there for decades and it is only natural that they accumulate more good works. CU becomes strong when you look at their growth rate or work rate as a whole school for the past few years.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Covenant University: Accounting Student Graduates With 4.99 GPA / ASUU Bars Members From Participating In 2019 Elections / Two Chibok Girls Graduate From US High School

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 129
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.