Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,126 members, 7,863,921 topics. Date: Tuesday, 18 June 2024 at 08:59 AM

2011 Poll Already Being Rigged - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 2011 Poll Already Being Rigged (823 Views)

Attention: Ward 022, Ejigbo Lagos Is Being Rigged / How The Elections Are Already Being Rigged / How The Elections Are Already Being Rigged - Vanguard (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

2011 Poll Already Being Rigged by Onlytruth(m): 2:40am On Sep 09, 2010
[size=16pt]2011 poll already being rigged[/size]

Sep 9, 2010

By Ochereome Nnanna

THE rigging of elections is a more complex operation than meets the ordinary, untutored eye. The objective of rigging election is to ensure the processes are artificially orchestrated to result in the emergence of a particular, premeditated individual as the winner.

It entails placing obstacles in the way of those who are contesting against the favoured individual.

Election rigging is not just about the snatching of ballot boxes on polling day, or the thumb-printing of stolen electoral papers in the homes of party big wigs. It is not only about falsifying results for the favoured candidate, or the use of thugs to prevent the participation of the supporters of his opponents. These are the cruder, more bare-faced acts of election rigging.

The “finer” variants involve the use of state resources and agencies to force an outcome in favour of the premeditated candidate. During the eight years that Chief Olusegun Obasanjo contested elections, we saw it in full spate. We are beginning to notice signs that the strategy is being mobilised in favour of the undeclared presidential ambition of President Goodluck Jonathan.

During the 2003 and 2007 elections, the presidency applied delay tactics in the release of funds to the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC). The last-minute release of funds led to confusion and critical shortages of electoral materials. Happily, we cannot say the same thing for the INEC of today under Professor Attahiru Jega. It has received from the Federal Government all the money it requested in double quick time, though the presidency did raise suspicion when it briefly sat on the INEC request for funds.

One of the ways that the presidency under Obasanjo also tried to rig the election in favour of the late Alhaji Umaru Musa Yar’Adua, was to prevent some interested presidential aspirants from contesting the elections. He was able to stop Dr Peter Odili and a number of other strong aspirants from contesting the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) presidential primaries.

Obasanjo had also set up the Professor Ignatius Ayua administrative panel of inquiry to indict some aspirants based on the fact that they were being investigated by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), then under the chairmanship of Malam Nuhu Ribadu.

However, this ploy flopped because the Nigerian Judiciary rose to the occasion and ensured those who sought redress in the courts of the land were not sent home disappointed.

As a result, former Vice President Atiku Abubakar was able to force his way to contest the presidency under the ticket of the Action Congress (AC), while other “indicted” contestants for the governorship seats, such as Rotimi Amaechi of Rivers, Chief Theodore Orji of Abia, among the others, also rode the chariot of court victories to thwart Obasanjo’s plots.

This time around, the presidency under Jonathan briefly toyed with the idea of raising the dust-covered Okigbo report on the spending of the Gulf War oil windfalls to stop former military president, Ibrahim Babangida, from contesting the presidency, which Jonathan is hotly eyeing in 2011.

Obviously, the Attorney General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Alhaji Mohammed Bello Adoke (SAN) decided to drop the idea, in view of the court victories of Atiku and company. Suddenly, government said it could not go to court against Babangida with the copy of the Okigbo report in its custody.

The pro-zoning PDP state governors have not been similarly spared. The EFCC has been let loose among them. Every single state being overrun by the Commission’s operatives are those not yet painted yellow (Jonathan’s colour) by ThisDay newspaper’s insightful “political trending” charts.

In other words, they are the states whose governors have not yet bought into the Jonathan presidential ambition because of their stand on zoning and other issues.

[b]EFCC says the charge of being used by the presidency to run after the President’s opponents is “blackmail”. That may be so, but it does not disprove the allegation. Some of these cases that Farida Waziri’s operatives are now huffing about are years old. The case of Amaechi’s men is of particular interest. It was reported over two years ago.

After only a brief play in the media the matter was laid to rest (as usual) until Dame Patience Jonathan returned from Rivers State where she had an open face-off with Governor Amaechi.

The following day, EFCC suddenly remembered the two-year-old case and pounced on Amaechi’s men. [/b]They also visited Imo, Jigawa, Bauchi and other states that have withheld their support for Jonathan.

Waziri’s newfound enthusiasm to fight corruption was a well packaged stimulus. Just a few weeks ago, kites were flown in the media that she was on the firing line. It was reported that foreign partners in the war on corruption felt she was unserious and incompetent. They would stop their financial assistance to the EFCC unless she was removed. Jonathan, who is eager to remain in the good books of the international community, seemed about to act. Names had been dropped as her possible replacements.

Then, suddenly, Waziri started copying the Nuhu Ribadu style of fighting corruption. She started making frequent, populist statements in the media, saying that she would ensure that corrupt politicians would never be elected. How she would achieve that she never told us. She chose to keep it “as a strategy”.

Then, just like Ribadu did, she unleashed her operatives on anti-Jonathan states, sparing states whose governors are for the president. Watch it. As soon as these governors start supporting the president, Waziri’s enthusiasm will cool again. You will say I told you!

When you intimidate those who do not believe in you to support you, you are already rigging an election. It is what the French love to call déjà vu. Already seen. It is Obasanjo all over again.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2010/09/09/2011-poll-already-being-rigged/
Re: 2011 Poll Already Being Rigged by Omolulu(m): 2:42am On Sep 09, 2010
the price would be heavy i'm afraid
Re: 2011 Poll Already Being Rigged by Onlytruth(m): 2:43am On Sep 09, 2010
Obasanjo's third term gradually taking shape.  undecided
Re: 2011 Poll Already Being Rigged by Omolulu(m): 2:49am On Sep 09, 2010
this is really deja vu!! maybe Goodluck wud be more successful than Obj in intimidating opponents
Re: 2011 Poll Already Being Rigged by Onlytruth(m): 4:26am On Sep 09, 2010
Omolulu:

this is really deja vu!! maybe Goodluck wud be more successful than Obj in intimidating opponents
grin
Good observation.
Oxymoron is Nigeria's second name. Why not be more successful in something positive. Why do our leaders only excel in dubiety?
Re: 2011 Poll Already Being Rigged by koruji(m): 4:28am On Sep 09, 2010
@Omolulu
How do you expect official thiefs to defend themselves - "EFCC is after me because of politics", that's how.

How about "I did not [size=15pt]STEAL ANY MONEY. [/size] EFCC you are welcomed. Can we get you chairs so you won't be uncomfortable looking through our books? We have work to do, but hola when you are done and [size=15pt]DON'T FIND ANYTHING[/size]. Too bad you would waste so much government time & money finding nothing,  money we could use for our projects."

See how simple that was!

It is easy for these governors to blackmail the government into emptying the Excess Crude Accounts into their laps, but when asked to show "what they have done with it" they shout blue murder.

I tire for Nigerians o!

Omolulu:

Re: 2011 Poll Already Being Rigged by Onlytruth(m): 4:37am On Sep 09, 2010
^^
So where was the EFCC while the governors were stealing us blind? I'll tell you where. They were dining with Jonathan in Aso rock!
So, with PDP primaries around the corner and the governors sticking to zoning, the EFCC wakes up!

Are Nigerians this dumb?
Re: 2011 Poll Already Being Rigged by koruji(m): 5:35am On Sep 09, 2010
It is not about being dumb. It is about having a choice between the devil & the deep blue sea. It is an incremental process right now. However, we will be happy to catch the thief any way we can - whether for political gain or not does not matter to me. If the EFCC can make a solid case of corruption, that is all that matters. As I said, the real defense is to say to EFCC "come on in, have a look around, take your time - we have nothing to hide".

EFCC is not an accounting firm that monitors expenses - they respond to corruption allegation & indicators.

Onlytruth:

^^
So where was the EFCC while the governors were stealing us blind? I'll tell you where. They were dining with Jonathan in Aso rock!
So, with PDP primaries around the corner and the governors sticking to zoning, the EFCC wakes up!

Are Nigerians this dumb?
Re: 2011 Poll Already Being Rigged by Onlytruth(m): 6:44am On Sep 09, 2010
koruji:

It is not about being dumb. It is about having a choice between the devil & the deep blue sea. It is an incremental process right now. However, we will be happy to catch the thief any way we can - whether for political gain or not does not matter to me. If the EFCC can make a solid case of corruption, that is all that matters. As I said, the real defense is to say to EFCC "come on in, have a look around, take your time - we have nothing to hide".

EFCC is not an accounting firm that monitors expenses - they respond to corruption allegation & indicators.

^^
So what happens if all of the governors pledge their support for Jonathan's presidential bid? They suddenly return to sainthood then, right? They get to keep their loot for as long as Jonathan (or whoever is president) wants to remain in office and they continue to give their support, right?
That is a very smart outcome for us. SMH. cry undecided undecided
Re: 2011 Poll Already Being Rigged by slap1(m): 6:47am On Sep 09, 2010
We should look at issues critically, we must not all agree with Mr. Ochereome. If you were in Jonathan's shoes would you have done the opposite? He is simply strategizing and campaigning with the tools at his disposal, just like every other aspirant. He is only luckier to be more equipped than the others, which is not all bad. Someone rightly cited what happened between Bush and Al Gore in the U.S of A. Now when John McCain and Sarah Palin where digging up all sorts of racist dirt against Obama's candidacy, what do you think they were doing? They were simply using the tools at their disposal to shorn the veneer of the opposition, about the same thing GEJ is allegedly doing. History have shown us that politics is not a game of saints, and we are to be pitied if we nurse the ambition of proving history wrong.
Re: 2011 Poll Already Being Rigged by Onlytruth(m): 6:51am On Sep 09, 2010
slap1:

We should look at issues critically, we must not all agree with Mr. Ochereome. If you were in Jonathan's shoes would you have done the opposite? He is simply strategizing and campaigning with the tools at his disposal, just like every other aspirant. He is only luckier to be more equipped than the others, which is not all bad. Someone rightly cited what happened between Bush and Al Gore in the U.S of A. Now when John McCain and Sarah Palin where digging up all sorts of racist dirt against Obama's candidacy, what do you think they were doing? They were simply using the tools at their disposal to shorn the veneer of the opposition, about the same thing GEJ is allegedly doing. History have shown us that politics is not a game of saints, and we are to be pitied if we nurse the ambition of proving history wrong.

This is like comparing a headache with a terminal brain cancer. undecided
None of the US politicians used state apparatus to attack their opponents.
Jonathan is using the instruments of state power to attack his political opponents. The only time such a thing nearly happened in the US, it led to the impeachment of President Nixon.

I wonder whether Nigerians even understand these things. . .

Anyway I think educated ones do.
Re: 2011 Poll Already Being Rigged by slap1(m): 7:18am On Sep 09, 2010
Onlytruth:

Jonathan is using the instruments of state power to attack his political opponents. The only time such a thing nearly happened in the US, it led to the impeachment of President Nixon.

Someone have asked few days ago what inspires you to write. So holding opposing views equals being uneducated? You need to check into a rehab if you start drawing analogies between our politics and America's at this point. Is it not still clear to you that we're still too far to be remotely near? But I better hurry off the thread for you and your 'educated' ilk. . .
Re: 2011 Poll Already Being Rigged by Onlytruth(m): 7:23am On Sep 09, 2010
slap1:

Someone have asked few days ago what inspires you to write. So holding opposing views equals being uneducated? You need to check into a rehab if you start drawing analogies between our politics and America's at this point. Is it not still clear to you that we're still too far to be remotely near? But I better hurry off the thread for you and your 'educated' ilk. . .

You probably need to check into a mental home if you think you make sense. So hurry along. .
Re: 2011 Poll Already Being Rigged by princekevo(m): 12:27pm On Sep 09, 2010
Mr Koruji, tell me which politician in Nigeria that is not corrupt, just mention one person and i will buy that you ideology.
Re: 2011 Poll Already Being Rigged by koruji(m): 12:53pm On Sep 09, 2010
Look I understand what you are getting at. My point is our priority should not be what one politician is doing to another politician but what any politician is doing to the Nigeria people. Basically most of these governors take allocations and promptly go on a spending spree ABROAD - no US governor does that. All these allegations & they are allegations against GEJ would not matter if nobody stole any money. The scenario you painted if it comes to pass would show whether GEJ is worthy as the next President - it would give people like Buhari an opening in their campaign against GEJ.

So let us see what happens, but meanwhile there is no better defense than "I did not steal money."

Onlytruth:

Re: 2011 Poll Already Being Rigged by koruji(m): 1:00pm On Sep 09, 2010
Exactly my point also. The fact is EFCC can only act within its limited capacity, but it must do what it can. That is all we have got for now until we find someone to clear out the rot in one go - but don't hold your breath.

princekevo:

Mr Koruji, tell me which politician in Nigeria that is not corrupt, just mention one person and i will buy that you ideology.
Re: 2011 Poll Already Being Rigged by SkyBlue1: 1:00pm On Sep 09, 2010
koruji:

@Omolulu
How do you expect official thiefs to defend themselves - "EFCC is after me because of politics", that's how.

How about "I did not [size=15pt]STEAL ANY MONEY. [/size] EFCC you are welcomed. Can we get you chairs so you won't be uncomfortable looking through our books? We have work to do, but hola when you are done and [size=15pt]DON'T FIND ANYTHING[/size]. Too bad you would waste so much government time & money finding nothing,  money we could use for our projects."

See how simple that was!

It is easy for these governors to blackmail the government into emptying the Excess Crude Accounts into their laps, but when asked to show "what they have done with it" they shout blue murder.

I tire for Nigerians o!

cosigned. This has always been my argument when people bring up this "selective justice" or "persecution" issue. If you have nothing to hide then what are you afraid of? Unfortunately I have stopped even bothering because it seems some people would defend whoever they want to defend and that is just it.
Re: 2011 Poll Already Being Rigged by agitator: 2:15pm On Sep 09, 2010
Sky Blue:

cosigned. This has always been my argument when people bring up this "selective justice" or "persecution" issue. If you have nothing to hide then what are you afraid of? Unfortunately I have stopped even bothering because it seems some people would defend whoever they want to defend and that is just it.

They defend their own, but when others are mentioned undecided
Re: 2011 Poll Already Being Rigged by PapaBrowne(m): 3:55pm On Sep 09, 2010
koruji:

@Omolulu

See how simple that was!

I tire for Nigerians o!

Seconded!! Best post on the thread!!
Re: 2011 Poll Already Being Rigged by safariman(m): 9:05pm On Sep 09, 2010
Didn't Akala already declared himself the winner in Oyo state?
Re: 2011 Poll Already Being Rigged by Onlytruth(m): 1:19am On Sep 10, 2010
safariman:

Didn't Akala already declared himself the winner in Oyo state?

grin grin grin grin grin. lol.
Re: 2011 Poll Already Being Rigged by mensdept: 1:25am On Sep 10, 2010
Zik was supposedly rigged in the West Region way back when, and again in 1983 Anambra state, Then 1999 we heard massive riggin, then 2003 greater riggin, and 2007, the greatest riggin in World History.

2011, and yet no major concern or project to ensure a free, fair, and safe election. I'm sure most of the folks that are planning on going home this Christmas dont even know an election is taking place then, and will be surprised at the touts controlling their village movements
Re: 2011 Poll Already Being Rigged by Onlytruth(m): 1:33am On Sep 10, 2010
mens dept:

Zik was supposedly rigged in the West Region way back when, and again[b] in 1983 Anambra state, Then 1999 we heard massive riggin, then 2003 greater riggin, and 2007, the greatest riggin in World History.[/b]

2011, and yet no major concern or project to ensure a free, fair, and safe election. I'm sure most of the folks that are planning on going home this Christmas dont even know an election is taking place then, and will be surprised at the touts controlling their village movements

So in 2011 there will be greatest of the greatest rigging. grin grin grin

I ain't going to the village anytime soon.
Re: 2011 Poll Already Being Rigged by princekevo(m): 7:46am On Sep 10, 2010
Onlytruth:

So in 2011 there will be greatest of the greatest rigging. grin grin grin

I ain't going to the village anytime soon.

LoL!! PDP once again has declared "Operation Totality", meaning totality in everything including massive rigging.

koruji:

Look I understand what you are getting at. My point is our priority should not be what one politician is doing to another politician but what any politician is doing to the Nigeria people. Basically most of these governors take allocations and promptly go on a spending spree ABROAD - no US governor does that. All these allegations & they are allegations against GEJ would not matter if nobody stole any money. The scenario you painted if it comes to pass would show whether GEJ is worthy as the next President - it would give people like Buhari an opening in their campaign against GEJ.

So let us see what happens, but meanwhile there is no better defense than "I did not steal money."

Lol this very funny. Please can someone justify the reason why EFCC could be in Riverstate where the indigence are contempted with what their governor is doing, and exempting the nearby state as Abia where even the residence are crying for EFCC to come to their rescue?
Re: 2011 Poll Already Being Rigged by agitator: 9:38am On Sep 10, 2010
mens dept:

I'm sure most of the folks that are planning on going home this Christmas dont even know an election is taking place then, and will be surprised at the touts controlling their village movements

Why are you interested in your village? In civilized societies you are more concerned with who is in power where you are resident. Most people more or less are permanently resident in other towns, only going home for holidays. Let those who are there (village) take care of it.

(1) (Reply)

Nigeria Under Siege / Two S.E. PDP Politicians Fight In Public / Bulk Sms And Gsm Numbers For Sale

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.